jhdVerse: Become A Star

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's right - the jhdVerse Become A Star project is here! A competition arranged by the four cult-sized US promotions (AWF, CWT, DRAGON and PWI), could see two of sixteen individuals make it to the main roster of one of the biggest promotions in America in time for the release of version 1 of the jhdVerse.

The competition will comprise of four rounds - an initial voting round, followed by three 'promo' rounds. Each of the first three rounds will see four individuals eliminated, while the final round will see two victors given a year long written contract with the cult-sized US promotion of their choice.

Information on each of the rounds will be given when the round begins. Promos will have a deadline of four days after the initial guidelines are posted, unless in special circumstances.

The roster of sixteen participants will be revealed in my next post.

THE SIXTEEN PARTICIPANTS OF THE jhdVERSE: BECOME A STAR COMPETITION - PART ONE

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/ChristianProphet.jpg

NAME: CHRISTIAN PROPHET

NATIONALITY: AMERICAN

RUMBLE: C; TECHNICAL: C+; FLYING: D+; ENTERTAINMENT: B-; PERFORMANCE: B-; PHYSICAL: C; CAMERA: C+;

CHOSEN PROMOTION: AWF

Christian Prophet was a Mid-Card blue eyed blonde hair pretty boy Face for WWWE. With a bright future he looked like a sure thing to one day be World Champion. But after the fall of WWWE Prophet became frustrated while in the indy's feeling that his glory has pasted him by, he shaved his head and painted his face like a bloody skull. He turned his back on his fans and started to use a more brutal in ring style. And The Prophet was born!

ELIMINATED IN ROUND #1

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/CrzyWill.jpg

NAME: CRZY WILL

CREATOR:

RUMBLE: C+; TECHNICAL: D; FLYING: E-; ENTERTAINMENT: C; PERFORMANCE: C; PHYSICAL: B-; CAMERA: B-;

CHOSEN PROMOTION: PWI

Former US Marine who started Wrestling School while Serving. Since getting out He has done everything he can to become a star in the wrestling world.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/DerekGrace.jpg

NAME: DEREK GRACE

RUMBLE: D; TECHNICAL: C-; FLYING: C+; ENTERTAINMENT: C; PERFORMANCE: C+; PHYSICAL: C+; CAMERA: C;

CHOSEN PROMOTION: DRAGON

Derek Grace is a young super Junior. He traveled to the U.S. to train but was not allowed to due to his father threatening to take away his inheritance. Angered that he could not train because of that, he cut all ties with his family and the U.K. and traveled to Japan for a year of training before heading back to the United States to make his mark. Average in the ring, the one thing that keeps him in demand is his absolute lack of fear in performing moves and the ability to perform extremely flashy moves.

ELIMINATED IN ROUND #1

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/DirkRobertson.jpg

NAME: DIRK ROBERTSON

RUMBLE: C; TECHNICAL: C; FLYING: E+; ENTERTAINMENT: D+; PERFORMANCE: C; PHYSICAL: C; CAMERA: B;

Dirk Robertson is a wrestler at a career crossroads. He was one of the most talked about indy superstars in 2000, which got him a contract with WWWE. After wrestling dark matches for most of 2000, he finally got a TV match - on the last WWWE show ever. Since WWWE's closing, Dirk is looking for a new promotion to call his home and has wandered around ever since.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/DISCOFox.jpg

NAME: DISCO FOX

RUMBLE: F; TECHNICAL: E-; FLYING: C-; ENTERTAINMENT: C-; PERFORMANCE: C; PHYSICAL: C; CAMERA: C+;

DISCO Fox (Steven Gilroy) is a new performer in the American wrestling scene, having only just finished training to be a professional wrestling. The gimmick was thought up of as a way for Steven Gilroy to make sure he was remembered after a show.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/DreadNocturn.jpg

NAME: DREAD NOCTURN

NATIONALITY: CANADIAN

RUMBLE: C-; TECHNICAL: D-; FLYING: C-; ENTERTAINMENT: C; PERFORMANCE: B-; PHYSICAL: C+; CAMERA: B;

Originally debuting as slightly bland former MMA competitor Zane Quinn (his real name), it was a drastic heel turn and the donning of a mask that led to the creation of ominous alter-ego Dread Nocturn, the master of nightmares. The creative character, while overly reliant on backstage promos and lighting work for promos, has taken off with fans and some say he has great potential for the future. What does help with his striking character is his legitimate MMA training, where he was a decent striker.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/FargoKorben.jpg

NAME: FARGO KORBEN

RUMBLE: D+; TECHNICAL: F+; FLYING: F-; ENTERTAINMENT: B+; PERFORMANCE: C+; PHYSICAL: C-; CAMERA: B-;

CHOSEN PROMOTION: CWT

If you've ever experienced Fargo Korben there's probably no doubt in your mind that he loves his "blothers" and "dames" almost as much as he enjoys "bammalamma grapstling". You will probably also be aware that he "swiggles and flupes all over that semisquare-diced circulous jimmyjam of steelonium and toothpick-matter, blother". You may not be sure about his mental state, though.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/IagodeBrun.jpg

NAME: IAGO DE BRÚN

NATIONALITY: IRISH

RUMBLE: D+; TECHNICAL: C-; FLYING: C; ENTERTAINMENT: C+; PERFORMANCE: C; PHYSICAL: C-; CAMERA: C+;

Iago de Brún is an Irish worker who has recently broken out of the pack in Europe with with a combination of his solid ring work and very compelling character. De Brún's character is inspired by Shakespeare's "The Tragedy of Othello" where the character Iago engages in extreme manipulation as well as in Machiavellian schemes against his political foes. It's this way sense of utter villainy that de Brún tries to bring to his wrestling character, and is often booked as the mastermind behind the most sinister plots occurring in whatever promotion he finds himself.

Frustrated by the recently rut in European wrestling, de Brún has gone on an excursion to the States in search of better opportunities.

As it is taking slightly longer than I thought (and the copy and pasting involved isn't the most thrilling thing I've ever done), I have split the roster reveal in two. If nothing else it gives people a chance to read through profiles etc.

The rest will be up tonight, and please note that all entries are organise in alphabetical order (albeit first name order, as that's the one in-game), and in no way reflect the voting order by the judges :)

THE SIXTEEN PARTICIPANTS OF THE jhdVERSE: BECOME A STAR COMPETITION - PART TWO

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/JohnnyHollywood.jpg

NAME: JOHNNY HOLLYWOOD

RUMBLE: C-; TECHNICAL: C; FLYING: D+; ENTERTAINMENT: B+; PERFORMANCE: C+; PHYSICAL: B-; CAMERA: B;

Johnny Hollywood is an American wrestler best known for his portrayal of a upper class Film Director, with full theatrics. Hollywood is often seen enterting the ring with a clapper board, full film script and megaphone, all of which he has been seen to use as a weapon, he's also known for his over acting in matches, sometimes proclaiming that "That wasn't in the script" and also his unwillingness to start matches until he calls "Action", a heel tactic often used to land a cheap shot.

ELIMINATED IN ROUND #1

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/JoseAngelGarces.jpg

NAME: JOSÉ ÁNGEL GARCÉS

RUMBLE: D-; TECHNICAL: C; FLYING: D; ENTERTAINMENT: C; PERFORMANCE: C+; PHYSICAL: C+; CAMERA: C;

Mexican-American José Ángel Garcés never intended to be a pro wrestler. Going through high school, college wrestling was just a way of making sure he stayed in shape for his game of choice; soccer. However this dream was ended at the age of 19, when José suffered a severe leg break, robbing him of the agility and quickness that had allowed him to play ball. Determined to gain some kind of sporting fame José instead returned to the world of wrestling, and decided that a professional career would be far more lucrative than the variety he did in college, and began training in earnest. A good athlete with solid skills thanks to his amateur background, José Ángel Garcés now seeks to have his name up in lights.

ELIMINATED IN ROUND #1

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/KrisBryant.jpg

NAME: KRIS BRYANT

RUMBLE: C-; TECHNICAL: D+; FLYING: C+; ENTERTAINMENT: D; PERFORMANCE: C-; PHYSICAL: C; CAMERA: C+;

Kris Bryant is a former Hollywood stunt man turned professional wrestler. Bryant figured he could make a name for himself and become an A-list Hollywood icon with a little help from the world of professional wrestling. Bryant is a very mild-mannered individual, but has the problems of loving to party and do drugs a little too much. Bryant has yet to step foot in the ring as he has just finished up wrestling school in Tennessee.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/MeidoMachine.jpg

NAME: MEIDO MACHINE

RUMBLE: D; TECHNICAL: C+; FLYING: C+; ENTERTAINMENT: C-; PERFORMANCE: C-; PHYSICAL: C+; CAMERA: C-;

Meido Machine (real name Robert Binns) is a wrestler that causes a reaction every time he enters the ring, in no small part due to the fact that he wears a Black and White French Maid's outfit every time he goes out to compete. What this bizarre character hides is the fact that Binns is actually a technically proficient Super Junior. Apparently Binns 'unique' character is one of an anime fan so obsessed by 'cute' anime girls (especially those in maid outfits) that he dresses like them. Whilst his extremely weird, and some may say slightly disturbing character may be original and has gained him some noriety on the indy circuit, it has probably held him back from being taken seriously.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/MikeSantorelli.jpg

NAME: MIKE SANTORELLI

NATIONALITY: ITALIAN

RUMBLE: C-; TECHNICAL: C+; FLYING: D+; ENTERTAINMENT: C+; PERFORMANCE: C+; PHYSICAL: C+; CAMERA: C;

Coming to you straight from "The North Shore, bro", "All Night" Mike is everything you hate in a human being. Unless of course, you share in his choice of lifestyle. And while you'd think he'd be no more then an opening comedy act, he does have a fair amount of talent between the ropes, and matched with his effervescent charisma, he's a handful for many an opponent.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/SamBailey.jpg

NAME: SAM "RED" BAILEY

RUMBLE: E; TECHNICAL: C-; FLYING: C+; ENTERTAINMENT: D+; PERFORMANCE: C-; PHYSICAL: C-; CAMERA: C+;

Sam is a veteran of 27 years who has done a lot of travelling in the wrestling industry but never really found a niche.

Last year however he grew a beard and was shocked when it came out ginger. Since then he's discovered that as a ginge he has NO SOUL and his wrestling has morphed from a pure junior style to one relying much more on sadistic, vicious elbows and submission techniques. He's started to be far more succesful and his hollow-eyed, grim stare has really gotten over with the fans establishing him as one of the more feared smaller men around.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/TheFlyingVergomov.jpg

NAME: THE FLYING VERGOMOV

NATIONALITY: RUSSIAN

RUMBLE: E; TECHNICAL: E-; FLYING: B-; ENTERTAINMENT: C-; PERFORMANCE: D+; PHYSICAL: B; CAMERA: C+;

Very little is known about The Flying Vergomov in wrestling circles; and discussions are still had about his real identity. Following the great Russian State Circus disaster of 2009 which saw five Chicago natives die in an animal stampede, seven of the world's elite trapeze artists were blacklisted. The Flying Vergomov is one of them (even if some theories suggest the group pass the mask around). Blessed with exceptional aerial abilities and upper-body strength; he (or they) is still finding his way into wrestling.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Become%20A%20Star/Tombstone.jpg

NAME: TOMBSTONE

RUMBLE: C; TECHNICAL: E-; FLYING: F-; ENTERTAINMENT: C; PERFORMANCE: D+; PHYSICAL: C; CAMERA: B;

A relatively young worker who turned to professional wrestling after being released from his local football team. He is certainly nothing special in the ring, but a decent physique coupled with a good 'grim reaper' gimmick means the potential is there for Tombstone (James Bishop) to make an impact on the wrestling world if a promotion is willing to overlook his sloppy ringwork.

A big thank you to the sixteen people whose characters were selected and commiserations to those who didn't. However, don't forget that all submissions have been rendered and added to the DB as free agents, only the two victors will be placed on an active roster.

these 8 look awesome excited for next 8

Between Prophet's look of menace and backstory, Iago's character (which is a genius idea) and the continued love I have for Fargo this is already a super 8 in any sense.

Can't wait for the next eight to be announced.

Thanks fellas. The final eight have been posted, while the original eight now include their chosen promotion (which I had forgotten about completely!).

Round #1 voting will begin later on tonight! :D

jhdVERSE: BECOME A STAR ROUND #1

Okay, so Round One is, in effect, a further paring down of the participants, but this time the judging is open to everyone. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to rate the sixteen participants on three categories - creativity, originality and hireability (that is, how much you'd like to sign the individual). Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being 'great' and 1 being 'not so great'. Voting will probably close on Monday January 9th at 1830 GMT, however I may extend it if I think we are likely to have a lot more votes that way.

Once voting is closed, the four participants with the lowest total scores will be eliminated, and the twelve remaining entrants will progress to round two. If #12 and #13 cannot be split by their respective number of points, then the person with the most number of 5 (i.e. high) ratings will go through. If they share the same number of 5s then it will go to 4s etc. If by some weird and wonderful miracle the two or more people share the same scores, and the same positions of scores, then the four judges that selected the sixteen will be able to vote again (assuming they are happy doing so). If things are still level then I will cry and Shmoe and myself will select who goes through. :)

You must give every participant a score for each three questions or you won't be able to submit your answers (you don't need to fill in the last text box though). I've tested the questionnaire and it doesn't take long.

Oh, and I advise people to open the survey in another window, as you'll probably need to read through the bios again as you answer the questions (I did!).

Voting is open to entrants themselves, anyone else on the forum, and even guests, if they can see the link (I can't remember what the limits for guests is anymore).

Thanks for the comments and votes so far everyone! From both it is pretty clear that the all of the sixteen participants appeal to people in some form or another. Although patterns are emerging, each entrant has a nice spread across their scores - it'll be interesting to see how things shape up come Monday evening! :D

I'm just happy the 'world's most dangerous cross-dressing Otaku', Meido-Machine managed to make it this far :D

I would have been shocked if he hadn't with a gimmick like that! :D

Not entirely sure why some people don't like the thread (judging by the star rating), although I'd say the 22 votes submitted so far speak for themselves. :p

In response to one of the comments regarding the stats being too high. The five categories can be extremely misleading - all it takes is for one skill to be reasonably high to drag the others up. All of the characters submitted have trained (which explains why the occasional individual without a match hasn't been given F in everything), and there is a sense that, like Tough Enough in real life, these have been selected for their skills (so their camera and entertainment would generally be higher than a normal free agent). I have run regular watcher games running six, seven and even eight years in-game and have not seen anything I would not expect from any of the workers and although the mod is smaller than the Cverse, the grades are similar for the equivalent promotions (by which I mean, similar in size and talent - Mexico in the jhdVerse has better grades because the talent is better, but it isn't out of line with similar sets of workers in the Cverse).

In response to the comment about bios being short and/or in different styles - I am rewriting the bios as each character is eliminated. This is so each entrant is rated on the original creator's vision and not mine. Yesterday I filled out the bios for the submissions that didn't make it to the last sixteen, and all entrants have a note in their bio explaining their progress in the project.

I will keep all mod updates in the original thread, so I'll simply say thanks again for all the votes and I hope everyone enjoys the process!

If Johnny Hollywood ever decides he can't make the cut as a wrestler, he'll make an AMAZING manager with those gimmicks.

Loving so many of these workers, although I'd have to say my personal favorite is Meido Machine, for obvious reasons :)

Archived