UFC-The Beginning of the New Era.

Since I lost my old file I will do this one. Sorry if it is like anyone elses.

UFC is currently in the midst of reaching a new level of popularity, and this diary is the following of the new era and onward. I plan on doing this by using news articles.

Heavyweight:

http://i41.tinypic.com/14o0hnk.jpg

Alistair Overeem

Record- 37-11

Last Defense- N/A

Number 1 Contender- Josh Barnett

Light Heavyweight:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2quj4o9.jpg

Jon Jones

Record- 15-1

Last Defense- UFC 145

Number 1 Contender- Dan Henderson

Middleweight:

http://i41.tinypic.com/fa9dsx.jpg

Anderson Silva

Record- 31-4

Last Defense- UFC 134

Number 1 Contender- Chael Sonnen

Welterweight:

http://i44.tinypic.com/257n1ft.jpg

Georges St-Pierre

Record- 22-2

Last Defense- UFC 129

Number 1 Contender- Winner of Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger

Interm- http://i41.tinypic.com/24b3mrk.jpg

Carlos Condit

Record- 28-5

Last Defense- N/A

Number 1 Contender- Jake Ellenberger

Lightweight:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11ijzux.jpg

Frankie Edgar

Record- 14-1-1

Last Defense- UFC 144

Number 1 Contender- Nate Diaz

Featherweight

http://i40.tinypic.com/212ffhs.jpg

Jose Aldo

Record- 21-1

Last Defense- UFC 142

Number 1 Contender- Hatsu Hioki

Bantamweight:

http://i41.tinypic.com/214qhhg.jpg

Dominick Cruz

Record- 18-1

Last Defense- UFC on Versus 6

Number 1 Contender- Urijah Faber

Flyweight:

Vacant

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Events:

UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger- February 15, 2012 Results

UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson- February 26, 2012 Results

UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann- March 3, 2012 Results

UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Gustafsson- April 14, 2012 Results

UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans- April 21, 2012 Results

UFC on Fox: Mir vs. Werdum- May 5, 2012 Results

UFC on Fuel TV 3: Porier vs. Jung- May 15, 2012 Results

UFC 146: dos Santos vs. Velasquez- May 26, 2012 Results

UFC 147: Silva vs. Sonnen II- June 16, 2012

UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. Benavidez- June 22, 2012

UFC 148: Trilogy- July 07, 2012

UFC on FOX 4: Jackson vs. Machida II- August 04, 2012

UFC 149: Bones vs. Hendo- August 25, 2012

UFC on Fuel TV 4: Belcher vs. Bisping- September 1, 2012

UFC 150- September 29, 2012

http://i39.tinypic.com/24ep7ko.jpg

UFC Cuts C-Murder

by Seth Morelli.

Today Chris "C-Murder" Cope announced, via his twitter, that he was cut from the UFC.

"I tried my hardest to put on fights, however Dana and Joe didn't like that I didn't win so they cut me."

Shortly afterwards, UFC President Dana White confirmered the release, saying, "I like Chris Cope, however once you are in the UFC you have to win and put on fights, Cope only did one of those and therefore had to be cut. We would be happy to resign him once he gets better."

UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger

February 15, 2012

Omaha, Nebraska

Main Card (Fuel TV)

Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez

Dave Herman vs. Stefan Struve

Ronny Markes vs. Aaron Simpson

T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson

Jonathan Brookins vs. Vagner Rocha

Preliminary Card (Facebook)

Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic

John Albert vs. Ivan Menjivar

Sean Loeffler vs. Buddy Roberts

Anton Kuivanen vs. C.J. Keith

Bernardo Magalhaes vs. Yoislandy Izquierdo

Winner of Sanchez vs. Ellenberger gets Condit.

by Mike Seabrook.

Yesterday during a press-conference to promote UFC 145, Dana White announced that the winner of Sanchez vs. Ellenberger gets Condit during the summer, should they be healthy. Dana White also announced that if the winner of that fight, if they are healthy, will face St-Pierre for the undisputed welterweight title in november.

Michael McDonald joins top level camp.

by Tim Taylor.

Fast rising UFC bantamweight prospect, Michael McDonald has made a huge jump in his career, by joining Roufusport a fast rising camp with top level competition.

When asked about this switching in camps, McDonald said this, “I am currently at a point in my career where I need a to join a big name camp and one that is fast rising with a lot of prospects and top level fighters that can help me become a UFC champion & will start helping me out with my fight against (Miguel Angel) Torres.”

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zg86t1.jpg

Jose Aldo to defend title at UFC 147.

by Matt Wilson.

Today I was having a conversation with UFC president Dana White and he told me that they are planning to have Jose Aldo to defend his featherweight title at UFC 147 against Hatsu Hioki, should Hioki win his fight at UFC 144, if that is not possible, then Korean MMA star Chan Sung Jung is expected to replace him.

Hatsu Hioki is coming off a not so impressive victory against George Roop, where many think Roop won.

Chan Sung Jung is coming off a record tying, 7 second KO of former number 1 contender, Mark Hominick, in Toronto at UFC 140.

UFC 147 is scheduled to take place in Brazil and will be headlined by a rematch between Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen.

Main Event for UFC on Fox 3 announced.

by Jimmy Dolinsky.

Today the UFC announced their main event for UFC on Fox 3. The main event is expected to be between two submission ace as Frank Mir and Fabricio Werdum battle each other. Nate Diaz and Jim Miller are expected to co-main event, with Pat Barry vs. Lavar Johnson to finish off the main card.

Main Card (Fuel TV)

UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson

February 26, 2012

Saitama, Japan

Saitama Super Arena

Main Card (PPV)

Frankie Edgar ( C )vs. Ben Henderson, for lightweight title

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields

Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka

Ryan Bader vs. Quinton Jackson

Cheick Kongo vs. Mark Hunt

Preliminary Card (FX)

Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis

Tim Boetsch vs. Yushin Okami

Hatsu Hioki and Bart Palaszewski

Vaughan Lee vs. Norifumi Yamamoto

Steve Cantwell vs. Riki Fukuda

Chris Cariaso vs. Takeya Mizugaki

Tiequan Zhang vs. Nam Phan

February 15, 2012

Omaha, Nebraska

Main Card (Fuel TV)

February 15, 2012

Omaha, Nebraska

Main Card (Fuel TV)

UFC on Fuel TV results.

by Dennis Hartung.

The UFC’s first event on Fuel TV was a success, headlined between a fight with Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger, with the winner facing Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight title.

The event was kicked off with a bout between new lightweight fighters, Bernardo Magalhaes and Yoislandy Izquierdo. Magalhaes was able to control the fight everywhere it whent and had a good debut. However Izquierdo was able to land hard shots, which he didn’t do much of, causing him to lose a split decision. 30-27, 28-29 & 29-28 for Bernardo Magalhaes.

The next fight on the card featured two more new lightweight fighters, as Anton Kuivanen took on. C.J. Keith. Keith looked really good in this fight, where he picked apart Kuivanen with his kickboxing, until late in the first round where he knocked down Kuivanen but was unable to finish the fight. However Kuivanen was not able to recover from that and with thirty second into the second round, Keith knocked Kuivanen down again, and this time finished him with strikes.

Next fight we had two debuting middleweight as one of Jackson’s Submission Fighting prospect, Buddy Roberts, makes his debut against another fighter making his UFC debut, Sean Loeffler. Nether fighter had a very successful as they were both content on wrestling, however nether one of them were able to get much control. Also Roberts gassed early in the second round showing the UFC fans that he doesn’t have that well on a gas tank. 30-27 for Loeffler.

Next up was a fight between Ultimate Fighter season 14 cast member, John Albert and long time MMA vet, Ivan Menjivar. Albert has shown a lot of improvement since his time on TUF, both striking, where he had the noticeable advantage over Menjivar and his grappling where he was able to control Menjivar for a good amount of time. However Menjivar showed that Albert is not that good off his back and was able to control him their for most of the first round, however was unable to continue on his first round success and lost a decision to Albert, 29-28.

The next fight was the final fight on the facebook portion of the card and the final prelim bout when two undefeated fighters, Stipe Miocic and Philip De Fries, fought. For this fight many people thought Miocic had an advantage over De Fries in the stand-up department, oh were they wrong, as De Fries was dominating Miocic in the stand-up with Miocic landing a few punches. However De Fries went to his advantage to win the fight, getting the arm triangle at two minutes and twenty-two seconds in the third round to force the tap.

Now we have the first fight of the main card, as Ultimate Fighter season 13 winner, Jonathan Brookins took on Vanger Rocha. Both fighters were evenly matched early on, with Brookins able to push Rocha against the cage, however he was too confident and Rocha was able to slap on a fight ending guillotine choke.

Next we have a bout between Ultimate Fighter season 15 bantamweight runner-up, T.J. Dillashaw takes on Walel Watson. A good fight for both fighters. In the first half of the fight Watson was dominating with strikes, and then decides to take the fight to the ground were he controlled Dillashaw for half the round. When Dillashaw eventually got back to his feet, where they were even until one minute left, where Dillashaw finally got a takedown. For the third and final round Dillashaw was able to control Watson, however was unable to finish him and lost a decision by the score of 29-28.

The next fight we have Ronny Markes and Aaron Simpson. Not a fan friendly fight as all three rounds had lay and pray by one of the fighters, with Ronny Markes getting the better of the ground grappling in round 1 and 3 to win a 29-28 decision.

Next up we had the co-main event of the evening as the tallest UFC fighter, Stefan Struve took on Dave Herman. Herman should focus less time on training fancy punches, which he threw a lot of and didn’t land any, and focus more time on training his ground game, where Struve was able to beat Herman with a rear naked control late in the third round after a fight of dominating Herman on the ground.

We finally reached the main event, which was a number one contender match for the interim welterweight championship, between Jake Ellenberger and Diego Sanchez. Ellenberger won the first round with wall and stall. Round two was a whole new story as Ellenberger was able to rock Sanchez, who decided not to stand with Ellenberger after that and went for a takedown, which he got. However Ellenberger was able to lock on a triangle choke on Sanchez, and even though Sanchez was able to power bomb Ellenberger, that didn’t not break the hold and Ellenberger won the bout.

Quick Results

Jake Ellenberger defeated Diego Sanchez by submission.

Stefan Struve defeated Dave Herman by submission.

Ronny Markes defeated Aaron Simpson by unanimous decision

Walel Watson defeated T.J. Dillashaw by unanimous decision

Vagner Rocha defeated Jonathan Brookins by submission

Philip De Fries defeated Stipe Miocic by submission

John Albert defeated Ivan Menjivar by unanimous decision

Sean Loeffler defeated Buddy Roberts by unanimous decision

C.J. Keith defeated Anton Kuivanen by TKO

Bernardo Magalhaes defeated Yoislandy Izquierdo by split decision.

Predictions:

ShotgunShogun 8/10

Tag01 3/10

Couture=Legend 4/10

taylor22 3/10

edvis500 4/10

Main Card (PPV)

Preliminary Card (FX)

Main Card (PPV)

Preliminary Card (FX)

UFC on Fuel TV of the night awards.

by Dennis Hartung.

During the post fight press-conference last night, UFC president Dana White gave away the fight of the night awards. With the each winner receiving $60,000 bonus.

Vagner Rocha and Jonathan Brookins both won fight of the night, for their 1 round war, which Vagner Rocha won by guillotine choke.

C.J. Keith won KO of the night for his TKO win over Anton Kuivanen at 0:45 of the second round, the only KO of the night of fights.

Jake Ellenberger won submission of the night for his triangle choke win over Diego Sanchez in the main event of the night. Jake Ellenberger was able to survive a powerbomb by Sanchez to keep the submission and the win, which will give him a rematch with Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight title.

Matches to make following UFC on Fuel TV 1.

by Cory Adam.

After a successful night of fights, the UFC needs to schedule all the fighters who are staying with the company, needs a fight. So us at sherdog love to help Joe Silva out a lot with fights we would love to see as fans, here are some fights we would love to see.

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Condit 2- Both of these fighters had career defining performances in their last fight, with Ellenberger showing his submission skills and Condit showing his game plan skills. These two fighters did fight before and it ended in a controversial split decision, so of course when Dana White said the winner of Sanchez/Ellenberger would get a fight with Condit, we had to have hoped for Ellenberger vs. Condit 2 and that’s what we are getting.

Diego Sanchez vs. Jeremy Stephens- Yes I know Diego Sanchez is a welterweight, but after his last two fights it looks like he could be on his way back down to the weight that got him his first and only UFC title shot, lightweight. What’s not a better fight for him to make his return back to lightweight, then a fight with heavy handed, Jeremy Stephens, who is coming off a lost against Anthony Pettis.

Stefan Struve vs. Philip De Fries was successful tonight, same with Struve and what’s not a better way to tell if De Fries is a legitimate contender, then a fight with Struve. Struve is definitely a fighter that is will be used for a long time as a test for prospect and a big test at that, standing 6’10”, the tallest fighter in the UFC, could test De Fries undefeated record.

Dave Herman vs. Matt Mitrione- A fight between these two fighters, whose hype just ended, could bring fireworks as both fighters have been known to strike and have very good chins.

Ronny Markes vs. The Winner of Court McGee/Constantinos Phillippou- Court McGee and Constantinos Phillippou will be fighting on March 03, 2012 and the winner could face Ronny Markes, who is slowly climbing the middleweight ladder, after his win against Aaron Simpson. This fight could help choose who will be a contender and who will be needing to make their way back up the ladder.

Aaron Simpson vs. Tom Lawlor 2- Both of these fighters have a fair amount of fights under their belt and have fought before to a split decision, so why not have them fight again for a second time.

Walel Watson vs. Edwin Figuero- These two fighters love to stand, which is a fan favorite and the fact that both of these guys can take punishment is another fan favorite, so if these two fighters collide, it would mean fireworks the whole fight and would help both of these young fighters to get fans, something they need desperately should they plan on making fighting for the title sometime soon.

T.J. Dillashaw vs. Reuben Duran- T.J. is 0-2 in the UFC and could be looking at getting his pink slip in his next fight, so why not a fight with another young, new UFC fighter in Reuben Duran, who is 1-0 in the octagon and his only fight was a late replacement fight.

Vagner Rocha vs. Tyson Griffin- Vagner Rocha was thrown into fire when he made his UFC debut against Donald Cerrone, since then he has gone 2-0, so a fight with recent spiral, Tyson Griffin, could give Vagner a chance at a long time UFC vet and could give Griffin a new life in the UFC.

Jonathan Brookins vs. Max Holloway- If it wasn’t for him being an ultimate fighter winner, he would be released right now, however he won’t be released until after a third straight loss or longer and a fight with Max Holloway who came in as a replacement for Ricardo Lamas, against Dustin Porier, could see which fighter has a chance to stay in the UFC.

UFC Signings.

by Blake Murphy.

During last night’s post-fight press conference for UFC on Fuel TV 1, UFC president announced a lot of signings. “Us here at the UFC try are hardest to bring you guys the best fights, and to do that we have to bring some of the best fighters here,” said White.

Here is a list of some of the signings:

Robert Drysdale- One of the top BJJ teachers in the world, and is 3-0 in his pro MMA career.

Pat Runez- Former PFC flyweight champ, 4-0 with a win over John Dodson.

Joe Ellenberger- Twin brother of Jake Ellenberger, 12-1.

Mamed Khalidov- One of the top prospect from Europe, 24-4-2.

Mamoru Yamaguchi- One of the top flyweights in the world, 26-6-3

Leonardo Santos- A top lightweight Brazilian prospect, who trains with Aldo, 9-3.

Ricardo Arona- One of the top MMA vets to never fight in the UFC, 14-5.

Alexander Sarnavskiy- One of the top lightweight European prospects, 17-0.

Pablo Popovitch- A top BJJ fighter, 2-0.

UFC 144 Play by Play and Live Results.

by Ryan O'Rourke.

Tiequan Zhang vs. Nam Phan (@NamPhanMMA)

Round 1:

>Zhang keeps his cool as Phan throws a feint to the left.
>Phan feints an attack, keeping Zhang on his toes.
>Phan avoids a jab and scores with a kick to the outside of the left leg.
>A jab misses, allowing Phan to counter-strike with a sharp kick just above the hip.
>Zhang comes in with a couple of jabs, using them as cover so that he can shoot in.
>Phan tries to avoid Zhang.
>Phan avoids the takedown attempt.
>A left hand misses, allowing Phan to counter with a couple of tight angled jabs and a scorching right hook to the body.
>Moving in closer, Phan looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.
>Zhang lets Phan get closer.
>We move into the second half of this round.
>There's a double leg attempt from Zhang, from the pocket.
>Phan tries to strike first with a solid right hook, but isn't quick enough.
>Zhang drives forward and gets the takedown! Phan couldn't quite stop it.
>The takedown leaves Phan seated with his back pressed against the cage.
>Zhang smothers Phan up against the cage wall.
>Zhang begins trying to get himself into a more dominant position.
>Phan doesn't let Zhang get the mount.
>Phan hits several frustrated punches to the back, but they're not going to do any damage.
>The end of the round is coming quick, there's under a minute left.
>Zhang begins trying to get himself into a more dominant position.
>He finds himself unable to get the mount on this attempt.
>The time runs out on round one.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Phan.

Round 2:

>Phan keeps his cool as Zhang throws a feint to the left.
>Phan avoids a jab and scores with a stinging left jab.
>Phan looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Zhang.
>Zhang ends up grappling for supremacy with Phan.
>Zhang gets caught with a couple of nice short punches as Phan uses his dirty boxing to inflict some punishment.
>Phan uses some dirty boxing as he grapples with Zhang.
>Phan and Zhang separate and we're back to a stand-off.
>Phan throws a leg kick but Zhang avoids it.
>Phan circles as he plans his next move.
>Zhang doesn't let Phan settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.
>Zhang looks to move in and stand in the pocket.
>He gets into range.
>Standing in the pocket, Zhang chooses to shoot in for a double leg on Phan.
>Phan strikes first and manages to rock Zhang with a solid right hand, sending him down to the ground, stunned!
>Phan quickly tries to set up the dazed Zhang for an armbar.
>Phan gets the armbar, sinks it in deeply, and Zhang has to tap!
>Nam Phan takes the win by submission! 

Nam Phan def. Tie Quan Zhang via tapout (Armbar) - Round 2, 3:35.

Chris Cariaso (@chriscariasomma) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (@takeya_miz )

Round 1:

>Mizugaki counters a left kick to the legs with a solid left jab.
>Mizugaki avoids a leg kick and scores with a clean jab.
>Mizugaki waits out a flurry of punches and then hits a solid left jab.
>An attempted body kick misses and Mizugaki fires back with a clean left.
>A big right hand doesn't find its intended target, allowing Cariaso to fire back with a flurry of quick punches to sting Mizugaki.
>Mizugaki waits for a flurry of punches to stop, then hits a barrage of big punches on Cariaso!
>We go past the halfway point of this round.
>Looking glassy-eyed, Cariaso staggers backward...he may have been stunned by that last blow!
>Mizugaki quickly slaps on a guillotine choke and pulls Cariaso down to the ground to try and finish it!
>A guillotine choke is applied; Cariaso isn't tapping out though!
>It looks like Cariaso must have been able to stop the choke from being fully sunk in.
>Mizugaki releases the hold, perhaps having gassed his arms by squeezing for too long.
>Cariaso gets up out of guard and backs off, allowing Mizugaki time to stand too.
>Cariaso is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.
>Cariaso gets caught with a right cross though, and he is momentarily wobbly!
>There's under a minute left in this round.
>Mizugaki feints going high, but Cariaso doesn't buy it.
>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Cariaso to fire back with a crisp right hand punch.
>Mizugaki tries for a spinning back fist but Cariaso moves out of range.
>The time is up, and that's the end of round one.
>That was a fun round to watch.
>That round goes to Mizugaki, 10-9 on my card. 

Round 2:

>Mizugaki catches an attempted body kick and goes for a takedown, but Cariaso is able to block it.
>Cariaso counters a left jab by hitting a series of quick jabs.
>Cariaso comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.
>He gets into range.
>Using good head movement, Mizugaki slips past a punch and hits a nice left.
>Cariaso slips past a jab and scores with a flurry of quick punches to sting Mizugaki.
>Slipping past a left jab, Cariaso hits a flurry of quick punches.
>Mizugaki, standing at close range, catches a body kick and goes for a takedown, getting it! Cariaso pulls guard.
>The clock runs down as Cariaso is being smothered against the ground by Mizugaki.
>We are now at the halfway point of the round.
>Mizugaki begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.
>He can't quite manage to get past guard on this attempt.
>Cariaso bursts into life and tries to scramble into a better position.
>The scramble fails to secure either fighter a dominant position, and they both end up standing.
>Cariaso slips past a left jab and counters with a left body kick.
>Cariaso tries for a left body kick but Mizugaki moves out of range.
>Cariaso comes in closer, looking to attack from the pocket.
>To counter, Mizugaki fires off a right hand but only finds the gloves.
>The time runs out on round two.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Cariaso. 

Round 3:

>A flurry of punches fail to land, giving Mizugaki the opportunity to counter with a nice jab.
>Mizugaki slips past a right jab and fires back with a solid left jab.
>A jab doesn't find its intended target, allowing Cariaso to fire back with a kick to the inside of the left thigh.
>Mizugaki uses a smart combination to get Cariaso to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.
>Cariaso tries to step away from the takedown.
>The takedown is unsuccessful, Cariaso avoided Mizugaki.
>Cariaso looks like he might be trying to get in close to clinch with Mizugaki.
>Mizugaki uses his strikes to stop Cariaso from getting close enough to clinch.
>Cariaso throws a speculative left, but it is nowhere near hitting.
>Mizugaki presses in closer to attack.
>Mizugaki shoots in for a takedown.
>Mizugaki goes under an attempted counter left hand.
>The takedown is successful, Cariaso pulls guard.
>Mizugaki tries to pass the guard.
>Cariaso comfortably blocks the attempt and keeps Mizugaki in guard.
>Mizugaki gets pushed away, and ends up standing over Cariaso, who is on his back.
>Mizugaki tries to secure a ground position.
>Cariaso moves quickly, scrambling for position before Mizugaki can get a hold.
>We move into the final sixty seconds of this round.
>Mizugaki ends up having to pull guard, losing out in the scramble.
>Cariaso tries to get out of guard and stand up, but Mizugaki doesn't allow it.
>Takeya Mizugaki is breathing very hard.
>Mizugaki grabs an arm and raises his legs, trying to lock Cariaso into a triangle choke.
>Cariaso doesn't let Mizugaki get it.
>The time expires on round three, and that is the end of the fight.
>That has to go down as a 10-9 round to Mizugaki.

Takeya Mizugaki def. Chris Cariaso via decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Steve Cantwell (@stevencantwell ) vs. Riki Fukuda (@rikifukuda )

Round 1:

>Cantwell feints rushing in, but Fukuda doesn't fall for it.
>Moving in closer, Fukuda looks like he may want to wrestle Cantwell.
>He pulls Cantwell into a grapple.
>Fukuda tries to wrestle Cantwell backward and up against the cage.
>Cantwell ends up backed against the cage.
>Showing his ability to exert control, Fukuda smothers Cantwell up against the cage for about a minute.
>Showing his ability to exert control, Fukuda smothers Cantwell up against the cage for a minute or so, wearing him down with occasional sharp punches to the ribs.
>We pass the halfway mark of this round.
>Fukuda pins Cantwell up against the cage and works him over with small punches to the body for roughly sixty seconds.
>With the fighters having been stuck against the cage for quite a while, the referee bringing them back to the center.
>Fukuda comes in, looking for a quick takedown.
>Cantwell gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.
>We have one minute of the round remaining.
>The clock runs down as Cantwell is being smothered against the ground by Fukuda.
>Fukuda throws a few right hands to the body.
>Really bad round, there was a whole lot of nothing going on there.
>I have to give that round to Fukuda, but only a 10-9.

Round 2:

>Cantwell drops his shoulder as a feint, trying to draw a strike.
>Fukuda looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>He pulls Cantwell into a grapple.
>Fukuda hits Cantwell with some short strikes to the side of the head while grappling.
>Fukuda tries to wrestle Cantwell backward and up against the cage.
>Fukuda achieves it, pinning Cantwell to the cage.
>Fukuda has gotten underhooks in and is looking to take Cantwell to the ground.
>The underhooks are used to set up a trip, Cantwell is left on his back and has to pull guard.
>Time slips away as Fukuda successfully keeps Cantwell stuck against the ground.
>In guard, Fukuda begins working to pass to side control.
>Cantwell keeps his guard secure.
>Cantwell tries to catch Fukuda with a punch, but it is not on target.
>We've now passed the halfway mark in this round.
>Fukuda smothers Cantwell with his body by pushing forward and down.
>In guard, Fukuda throws a couple of punches designed to keep Cantwell guessing.
>Cantwell tries to catch Fukuda with a punch, but it is not on target.
>With no progress being made, the referee brings the fighters back to their feet.
>Cantwell looks to move in and stand in the pocket.
>Cantwell and Fukuda get closer, both looking eager to engage at close range.
>A left jab misses, giving Cantwell the chance to hit back with a kick to the body.
>A left jab misses the mark and allows Cantwell to counter with a right body kick.
>Time expires and we come to the end of round two.
>Incredibly close round, but Cantwell came out just ahead on my score card.

Round 3:

>A left jab misses and Cantwell counters with a body kick.
>Cantwell counters a superman punch with a clean left.
>An attempted body kick misses and Fukuda fires back with a nice left hand.
>Cantwell looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Fukuda.
>Fukuda lets Cantwell get closer.
>Fukuda looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>Fukuda grabs Cantwell and pulls him into a grapple.
>Cantwell tries to wriggle free, but Fukuda controls him well and gets in a few close-range punches too.
>Fukuda is looking to muscle Cantwell back against the cage.
>Fukuda achieves it, pinning Cantwell to the cage.
>Breathing very hard, Riki Fukuda is looking ragged.
>With Cantwell stuck against the cage, Fukuda gets the underhooks and looks for a takedown.
>A sweep of the legs is successful, Cantwell has to pull guard.
>Fukuda lies on top of Cantwell, basically smothering him.
>Fukuda fires off a few punches, but they aren't thrown with any great force.
>Fukuda begins trying to pass the guard.
>He can't find a way past the guard.
>Cantwell attempts to lock on a triangle choke.
>Fukuda blocks the triangle attempt.
>Time runs out and that's the end of the fight.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Fukuda.

Riki Fukuda def. Steve Cantwell via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27).

Vaughan Lee (@vaughanlovelee ) vs. Norifumi Yamamoto

Round 1:

>Both fighters go to exchange blows, but neither hits a telling strike.
>From the missed strikes they clinch.
>Lee finds himself out-wrestled, and Yamamoto takes control of the grapple.
>Yamamoto is looking to muscle Lee back against the cage.
>He does so, and now has Lee pinned to the cage.
>Yamamoto drives a knee to the thigh area.
>Yamamoto smothers Lee against the cage and stomps down on his foot.
>Yamamoto tries to throw a knee strike from the clinch, but Lee takes the opportunity to turn his opponent around so that Yamamoto ends up backed against the cage instead.
>Lee looks for a knee strike, but Yamamoto out-wrestles him and switches them around so that he is in the dominant position.
>Yamamoto steps back from Lee and looks to unleash some strikes.
>A left jab misses, Lee counters with a jab.
>Lee tries for a left jab but Yamamoto uses head movement to avoid it.
>A flurry of lefts and rights don't trouble Lee, who covered up well.
>Lee uses head movement to cause a right jab to sail harmlessly by.
>Yamamoto throws a flurry of rights and lefts, but Lee covers up well.
>Yamamoto slips past a jab and scores with a sharp kick to the shin.
>There's only so many of those strikes to the legs that can be taken before they become an issue.
>Lee covers up to absorb a flurry of punches.
>Lee checks a low kick and then steps forward to hit a solid right jab.
>Lee tries for a left jab but Yamamoto uses head movement to avoid it.
>Round one is brought to an end as time runs out.
>That round goes to Yamamoto, 10-9 on my card.

Round 2:

>A jab misses, allowing Yamamoto to counter-strike with a series of quick lefts.
>Yamamoto counters a wayward right jab with a straight left.
>Yamamoto counters a right jab with a barrage of hard right hands, enough to put Lee down!
>Yamamoto starts pounding away on Lee, looking to finish him off!
>Yamamoto pounds away with punches and Lee is having trouble doing anything about it!
>The referee jumps in and saves Lee from taking any more shots!
>Norifumi 'KID' Yamamoto takes the win by TKO!

Norifumi Yamamoto def. Vaughan Lee TKO (Strikes) - round 2, 1:32.

Hatsu Hioki and Bart Palaszewski (@bartimus7)

Round 1:

>Palaszewski steps back to avoid a barrage of big punches, having been off balance momentarily after a clever feint.
>Palaszewski drops his shoulder and feints to step in, but Hioki isn't buying it.
>Hioki steps back to avoid a left jab.
>Advancing, Palaszewski counters a left jab by using a crisp left hand punch.
>Hioki looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>Palaszewski keeps himself moving out of range, not wanting to clinch.
>Hioki comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Palaszewski.
>Palaszewski is pulled into a grapple.
>Hioki is looking to muscle Palaszewski back against the cage.
>Palaszewski ends up backed against the cage.
>Hioki hits a knee strike to the thigh.
>Hioki catches Palaszewski with two elbows to the face from the clinch.
>Hioki catches Palaszewski with an elbow to the face from the clinch while he is pressed up against the cage.
>Hioki tries to maintain control, but Palaszewski isn't letting himself get bullied like that.
>Hioki attempts to throw an elbow, but Palaszewski tightens the clinch, preventing the blow from being launched.
>With Palaszewski stuck against the cage, Hioki gets the underhooks and looks for a takedown.
>The underhooks allow Hioki to easily trip Palaszewski and send him to the ground.
>Palaszewski winds up seated, his back to the cage, with Hioki pressing onto him.
>Hioki starts trying to get Palaszewski on his back so that he can gain a better position.
>He is much too good for Palaszewski, and gets the mount!
>Hioki tries to pound on Palaszewski, but all the blows are comfortably dealt with.
>Hioki counters an attempt by Palaszewski to move him from mount by taking his back!
>Time expires and we come to the end of round one.
>I think Hioki took that round, 10-9 on my score card.

Round 2:

>Hioki steps back to avoid a left jab.
>Hioki comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Palaszewski.
>Hioki cannot get close enough to the elusive Palaszewski to grapple.
>Hioki tries for a leg kick but Palaszewski moves out of range.
>Palaszewski avoids a kick to the leg and hits two big right hands!
>Hioki shows good head movement to avoid getting caught with a jab.
>Hioki covers up to absorb a barrage of big right hands.
>Moving in closer, Hioki looks like he may want to wrestle Palaszewski.
>Palaszewski keeps himself moving out of range, not wanting to grapple.
>Palaszewski sneaks a glance at his corner.
>Not letting up, Hioki steps in closer to pressure Palaszewski into action.
>Hioki looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>Palaszewski ends up grappling for supremacy with Hioki.
>With a good grip giving him solid control over Palaszewski, Hioki looks to wrestle him down.
>Hioki can't get Palaszewski down to the ground.
>Hatsu Hioki looks very tired out there.
>Palaszewski turns Hioki slightly, but can't create enough space to get free of the clinch.
>Hioki tries to wrestle Palaszewski backward and up against the cage.
>He does so, and now has Palaszewski pinned to the cage.
>Bart Palaszewski is breathing very hard.
>Hioki takes a short step back and prepares to strike.
>Time expires and we come to the end of round two.
>That was a very close round, but I think Palaszewski just about edged it.

Round 3:

>Moving forward, Palaszewski counters a left jab with a series of hard rights!
>There is an exchange of strikes, but neither fighter does any damage.
>Palaszewski, in the pocket, throws a vicious right uppercut but Hioki covers up and absorbs it.
>Not comfortable in the pocket, Palaszewski steps back and creates some space.
>Slowed down by physical tiredness, Palaszewski still looks to get in close and strike from the pocket.
>Standing his ground, Hioki looks happy to engage Palaszewski in the pocket.
>Palaszewski circles away, creating some distance between them.
>Moving in closer, a tired-looking Palaszewski apparently wants to strike from the pocket.
>He gets into range.
>Both fighters come in and throw strikes, there is no real damage done by either.
>Bart Palaszewski seems to be fighting against exhaustion.
>Slowly moving in closer, a ragged-looking Hioki wants to wrestle Palaszewski.
>Palaszewski ends up grappling for supremacy with Hioki.
>From the grapple, Hioki tries to work in some close-range strikes, but Palaszewski is alert and smothers them quickly.
>Hatsu Hioki looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.
>Hioki is looking to muscle Palaszewski back against the cage.
>Palaszewski ends up backed against the cage.
>Palaszewski takes a hard foot stomp.
>Palaszewski is pressed up against the cage and held there, taking the occasional short punch to the ribs and stomach, for half a minute.
>Palaszewski wrestles back against Hioki, not letting him maintain control for any length of time.
>Hioki has worked in the underhooks and looks to take Palaszewski down.
>Hioki sweeps the legs and takes Palaszewski down, hard.
>Palaszewski winds up seated, his back to the cage, with Hioki pressing onto him.
>Hatsu Hioki looks totally gassed.
>Hioki pushes forward against Palaszewski, basically smothering him against the cage wall.
>The fight comes to an end as the time limit expires.
>That round goes to Hioki, 10-9 on my card.

Hatsu Hioki def. Bart Palaszewski via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)

Tim Boetsch (@TimBoetsch ) vs. Yushin Okami

Round 1:

>Okami side-steps a barrage of big punches and hits a crunching left hook to the body.
>Okami throws a feint.
>Okami steps back to avoid a leg kick.
>Okami shoots in for a takedown.
>Boetsch tries to avoid Okami.
>The takedown is unsuccessful, Boetsch avoided Okami.
>Okami misses with an attempted left hook to the body.
>Not letting Okami settle, Boetsch moves in closer.
>Boetsch looks like he wants to stand in the pocket and strike with Okami.
>Keen to maintain some distance, Okami uses strikes to keep Boetsch away.
>Okami shoots in for a takedown.
>He gets a big takedown and he ends up in half guard.
>Okami pounds away with elbows from half guard, but Boetsch isn't troubled by them.
>Boetsch tries to ensnare Okami in a guillotine.
>Okami pulls free before the guillotine can be applied.
>Okami attempts an arm triangle.
>Boetsch blocks it.
>Boetsch attempts a guillotine choke from the bottom of half guard.
>We're into the final minute of the round.
>Okami looks to pass half guard and get side control.
>He can't quite manage to get past half guard on this attempt.
>Boetsch reaches over and tries to lock Okami in a guillotine.
>Okami pulls his head free before the hold can be applied properly.
>I think Okami took that round, 10-9 on my score card.

Round 2:

>A right jab misses and Boetsch strikes back with a solid left.
>Boetsch feints rushing in for a takedown, but withdraws.
>A nicely executed one-two combination sets up a takedown attempt from Okami.
>Boetsch gets taken down by a single leg, and has to pull guard.
>Okami starts trying to work to get past the guard.
>He manages to pass, but only to half guard.
>Okami fires away with big punches, but Boetsch keeps the half guard secure and doesn't take any undue damage.
>Boetsch tries to pull Okami into a guillotine choke from the bottom of half guard.
>Okami tries to lock Boetsch into an arm triangle.
>Boetsch defends it well.
>Boetsch tries to ensnare Okami in a guillotine.
>Okami pulls his head free before the hold can be applied properly.
>Breathing very hard, Tim Boetsch is looking ragged.
>Okami attempts to arm triangle Boetsch from the top of half guard.
>Boetsch blocks it.
>Okami blocks an attempted sweep.
>The lack of progress forces the referee to stand the fighters back up.
>Okami uses a smart combination to get Boetsch to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.
>He gets a big takedown and he ends up in half guard.
>That round goes to Okami, 10-9 on my card.

Round 3:

>Okami drops his shoulder, faking going for a double leg, trying to draw a response.
>Okami is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Boetsch.
>Okami cannot get close enough to the elusive Boetsch to grapple.
>Tim Boetsch looks like he doesn't have a lot left to give.
>Okami comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Boetsch.
>Okami grabs Boetsch and pulls him into a grapple.
>Getting a good grip, Okami appears to be looking to wrestle toward a takedown.
>It doesn't work, Boetsch defended against it well.
>Boetsch tries to get clear of the grapple, but Okami holds him in place.
>Okami tries to use some dirty boxing, but Boetsch uses his wrestling skills to smother him.
>Yushin Okami doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.
>Okami tries to use his dirty boxing skills, but Boetsch uses wrestling to smother the attacks.
>Okami is looking to muscle Boetsch back against the cage.
>Okami manages it, and controls Boetsch up against the cage.
>Okami attempts to use some close-range elbow strikes but Boetsch pulls the clinch tighter, making it impossible to launch them.
>Okami goes to use some dirty boxing, but Boetsch is aware of the danger and uses wrestling to prevent any damage from happening.
>Okami tries to use his dirty boxing skills, but Boetsch uses wrestling to prevent any strikes from being launched.
>Yushin Okami looks like he is on the verge of exhaustion.
>Okami looks for an elbow strike, but Boetsch out-wrestles him and switches them around so that he is in the dominant position.
>Tim Boetsch looks totally gassed.
>Boetsch moves back from the grapple and looks ready to strike.
>Slipping past a right jab, Boetsch hits a left jab to the cheek.
>A left jab misses, Okami counters with a nice right.
>The time expires on round three, and that is the end of the fight.
>I have to give that round to Okami, but only a 10-9.

Yushin Okami def. Tim Boetsch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Joe Lauzon (@joelauzon ) vs. Anthony Pettis (@showtimepettis)

Round 1:

>Pettis feints rushing in, but Lauzon doesn't fall for it.
>Lauzon avoids a tight combination.
>There's a short stalemate as both fighters advance and throw strikes, but neither hits.
>Pettis avoids a jab.
>Pettis looks to move in and stand in the pocket.
>Seeing an opportunity, Lauzon goes straight into a takedown, putting Pettis down into guard.
>Lauzon fires off a handful of punches, each easily being blocked with gloves.
>Lauzon tries to smother Pettis, but he squirms free.
>Lauzon gets pushed back thanks to a butterfly guard, and stands, looking down at Pettis who remains on his back.
>Pettis gets back up after making Lauzon step back to avoid an up-kick.
>Lauzon uses a flurry of lefts and rights to get Pettis to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.
>Pettis strikes first and knocks Lauzon out cold with an enormous right hand!
>By Knock Out, the winner is Anthony Pettis!

Anthony Pettis def. Joe Lauzon via knockout (punche) - Round 1, 3:19.

Cheick Kongo (@iamcheickkongo ) vs. Mark Hunt (@markhuntfighter )

Round 1:

>They come together and strike, but neither can land a clean shot.
>Hunt bobs and weaves, trying to get Kongo to commit.
>Kongo slips past an attempted big right hand and counters with a jab.
>Hunt steps back to avoid a flurry of punches after falling for a clever feint.
>Hunt drops a shoulder, trying to sucker Kongo in with a feint.
>Kongo fakes a lunge.
>Hunt comes in closer to press the issue.
>Hunt feints to the right, trying to draw Kongo into throwing a strike.
>Kongo uses a right body kick on Hunt, disguising it with a nice feint.
>Kongo throws out a quick left jab.
>Not letting up, Hunt steps in closer to pressure Kongo into action.
>Hunt is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.
>Hunt gets caught with a right cross though, and he is momentarily wobbly!
>Mark Hunt doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.
>The end of the round is coming quick, there's under a minute left.
>Hunt moves out of range of a flurry of punches.
>Both throw strikes at each other, both easily defend the other's attempt.
>Time expires and we come to the end of round one.
>There are some audible boos from the crowd, that wasn't the most exciting round we've ever seen.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Kongo.

Round 2:

>An exchange of strikes doesn't really lead to anything.
>Hunt steps in to attack but takes a stiff jab.
>Hunt has his hands too low, a result of fatigue.
>Hunt avoids a flurry of rights and lefts.
>An exchange of strikes goes nowhere.
>Kongo avoids several big right hands and counters with a stinging left jab.
>Mark Hunt seems to be fighting against exhaustion.
>A straight left by Hunt keeps Kongo from advancing.
>Time slips away as Kongo doesn't press Hunt, allowing him to circle.
>Kongo counters a right kick to the body by hitting a left jab to the cheek.
>Kongo uses a jab to sting Hunt.
>Hunt gets caught with a sharp kick just above the hip.
>An exchange of strikes doesn't really lead to anything.
>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up clinched.
>Kongo is trying to push Hunt so that his back is up against the cage.
>Kongo can't do it though, and Hunt is able to get free.
>They exchange strikes, but neither fighter inflicts any real damage.
>The gas tank looks empty on Mark Hunt.
>Hunt slips out of the way of a flurry of punches.
>Round two is brought to an end as time runs out.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Kongo.

Round 3:

>A quick exchange of strikes produces nothing worth mentioning.
>They come together and throw strikes, both miss.
>Kongo backs away to create some more space.
>Kongo hits a flurry of quick punches.
>Kongo snaps off a left jab that catches Hunt stepping in.
>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes but neither hits.
>A speculative right hand from Kongo doesn't find a home.
>Hunt doesn't let Kongo settle, stepping in closer to impose himself.
>Kongo gets a vicious inside leg kick on Hunt.
>Kongo avoids several big right hands and counters with a kick to the outside of the left leg.
>Those strikes to the legs are going to take their toll.
>Both fighters go to exchange blows, but neither hits a telling strike.
>In close proximity from the strikes they threw, they fall into a messy clinch.
>Hunt is trying to push Kongo so that his back is up against the cage.
>Hunt achieves it, pinning Kongo to the cage.
>Hunt hits a knee strike to the thigh.
>Hunt steps back to achieve some separation from Kongo and gets ready to strike.
>Kongo hits a quick series of punches from the pocket.
>Cheick Kongo is looking really tired.
>Kongo scores with an inside leg kick from the pocket.
>We reach the time limit and this fight is over.
>I have to give that round to Kongo, but only a 10-9.

Cheick Kongo def. Mark Hunt via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Ryan Bader (@ryanbader) vs. Quinton Jackson (@rampage4real)

Round 1:

>Jackson feints left and then throws a vicious right uppercut, narrowly missing Bader.
>Jackson counters an errant left jab with a nice jab.
>Bader avoids a jab.
>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes but neither hits.
>In close proximity from the strikes they threw, they fall into a messy clinch.
>Using his wrestling skills, Bader is trying to push Jackson up against the cage.
>Jackson doesn't let himself be driven back though, and gains a dominant position in the grapple instead.
>Jackson tries to wrestle Bader backward and up against the cage.
>Jackson manages it, and controls Bader up against the cage.
>Jackson hits a knee strike to the thigh.
>Jackson takes a short step back and prepares to strike.
>Jackson lets a jab sail wide and counter-strikes with a solid right hook to the body.
>Using head movement, Jackson slips past a left jab and counters with a sequence of quick punches.
>Bader uses head movement to avoid a combination of punches, then counters with a left jab to the cheek.
>Using head movement, Bader slips past a left jab and counters with a solid punch.
>Jackson uses head movement to cause a left jab to sail harmlessly by.
>Bader comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Jackson.
>Jackson finds himself pulled into a grappling contest.
>With underhooks giving him solid control over Jackson, Bader looks for a takedown.
>The takedown doesn't work, Jackson defended it well.
>Round one ends as time expires.
>I think Jackson took that round, 10-9 on my score card.

Round 2:

>Bader avoids a huge right hand and hits a crisp left hand punch.
>Bader steps back to avoid a one-two combination.
>Bader avoids a tight combination.
>Jackson feints rushing in for a takedown, but withdraws.
>A feint to the right gets Bader to move forward, and Jackson almost clips him with a massive overhand right.
>Bader looks like he might be trying to get in close and wrestle with Jackson.
>Bader gets caught with a right hand though, and his wobbly legs can't support him...down he goes!
>Bader shakes off the cobwebs quickly though, and is alert.
>Jackson steps back and allows Bader to stand back up.
>Bader shoots in for a takedown.
>Bader drives forward and gets the takedown! Jackson couldn't quite stop it.
>Jackson is left seated, with his back to the cage, with Bader holding him down.
>Not liking his options, Bader looks to get a better position over Jackson.
>He is too good for Jackson, and gets side control.
>Bader uses side control to hit a brutal knee strike just above the hip!
>Bader looks to get a mount.
>He can't get the mount.
>Bader blocks Jackson as he tries a sweep from side control.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Bader.

Round 3:

>A flurry of punches fail to land, giving Bader the opportunity to counter with a clean left.
>A left hand misses, allowing Jackson to counter with a flurry of quick punches to sting Bader.
>Bader comes in with a couple of jabs, using them as cover so that he can shoot in.
>Jackson counters with a right hand that catches Bader flush...and he goes down!
>Quinton Jackson is breathing very hard.
>Jackson starts pounding away on Bader, looking to finish him off!
>Jackson fires away with punches, Bader is taking powerful shot after powerful shot!
>With Bader taking a beating, the referee has to stop the match!
>The winner, by TKO; Quinton Jackson!

Quinton Jackson def. Ryan Bader via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 1:19.

Takanori Gomi (@gomi_rscl) vs. Eiji Mitsuoka (@eijimitsuoka)

Round 1:

>Gomi avoids a low kick.
>Mitsuoka uses a flurry of lefts and rights to get Gomi to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.
>Gomi tries to avoid the takedown.
>Gomi avoids the takedown attempt.
>Mitsuoka looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>Mitsuoka can't get near enough to engage, Gomi uses strikes to keep him out of range.
>Mitsuoka throws a looping punch, but Gomi avoids it.
>Gomi quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.
>Gomi looks to move in and stand in the pocket.
>Gomi cannot get close enough to the elusive Mitsuoka.
>Mitsuoka comes in closer, looking to wrestle with Gomi.
>Gomi finds himself pulled into a grappling contest.
>Getting underhooks, Mitsuoka looks for a takedown.
>The takedown is unsuccessful, Gomi blocked Mitsuoka.
>Mitsuoka loses control of Gomi, who breaks free from the grapple and backs off.
>Mitsuoka throws a couple of jabs, then chooses to shoot in on Gomi.
>Gomi tries to avoid the takedown.
>Mitsuoka doesn't get the takedown, Gomi avoided it.
>Moving in closer, Gomi looks like he wants to strike from the pocket.
>Mitsuoka counters by dropping down and hitting a single leg, Gomi is forced to pull guard.
>In guard, Mitsuoka begins working to pass to side control.
>Gomi is ready for the attempt though, and keeps Mitsuoka firmly in guard.
>Gomi tries to ensnare Mitsuoka in a triangle.
>Gomi gets the triangle choke, but doesn't have enough time left to really sink it in!
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Gomi.

Round 2:

>A feinted high kick gets a reaction, and Mitsuoka is lucky to avoid the follow-up inside leg kick.
>Gomi fakes coming in for a takedown, but Mitsuoka doesn't buy it.
>Gomi counters a left jab with a nice jab.
>Gomi fakes as if going for a single leg, keeping Mitsuoka on his toes.
>Gomi feints throwing a jab.
>Gomi circles as he plans his next move.
>Mitsuoka quickly gets in closer, looking to attack.
>Mitsuoka comes in, looking for a quick takedown.
>Gomi sees the takedown coming and tries to move.
>Gomi avoids the takedown attempt.
>Gomi is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.
>Mitsuoka counters with a takedown, and Gomi is forced to pull guard.
>Mitsuoka starts trying to work to get past the guard.
>Advancing his position fairly easily, he passes to side control.
>Mitsuoka tries to lock Gomi into an arm triangle.
>Mitsuoka gets the arm triangle fully applied!
>Shockingly, Mitsuoka loses it! Gomi pops his head free, and has somehow survived!
>Gomi attempts to sweep Mitsuoka.
>The sweep works, but only results in both fighters ending up scrambling back to their feet.
>Gomi is looking to get in close and strike from the pocket.
>The two fighters move closer, ready to strike.
>Standing in the pocket, Mitsuoka chooses to shoot in for a double leg on Gomi.
>Mitsuoka has the takedown! Gomi pulls half guard.
>Mitsuoka tries to pass the half guard.
>He can't find a way past half guard.
>The time is up, and that's the end of round two.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Mitsuoka.

Round 3:

>Gomi fakes a shot and Mitsuoka falls for it, dropping his hands.
>Gomi follows up by throwing a right high kick, but Mitsuoka is just able to avoid it.
>Gomi drops a shoulder, suckering Mitsuoka into expecting a single leg attempt.
>Gomi throws a nice sequence of punches, but Mitsuoka is able to cover up in time to absorb them.
>A jab misses, allowing Gomi to counter-strike with a barrage of huge rights, knocking Mitsuoka down!
>Gomi knows that this is a golden opportunity, and quickly pounces on Mitsuoka, looking to finish him off by raining down punches!
>Gomi fires away with punches, Mitsuoka is taking powerful shot after powerful shot!
>The referee pulls Gomi away, stopping the match!

Takanori Gomi def. Eiji Mitsuoka via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 1:28.

Yoshihiro Akiyama (@akiyamayoshihir ) vs. Jake Shields (@jakeshieldsajj )

Round 1:

>Akiyama keeps his cool as Shields throws a feint to the left.
>Akiyama throws a leg kick but Shields avoids it.
>Shields steps back to avoid a leg kick.
>Shields shoots in, looking for a takedown.
>Shields gets the takedown! Akiyama pulls guard.
>Shields lies on top of Akiyama, basically smothering him.
>Shields tries to pass the guard.
>He passes to side control.
>Shields looks to roll Akiyama slightly and slip behind.
>Akiyama can't stop it and gives up his back!
>Shields attempts a rear naked choke.
>Akiyama does well to roll over and spin out, ending up in his opponent's guard.
>Shields should have gotten hooks in before attempting that submission.
>Shields keeps Akiyama, who looked to be trying to stand up, in guard.
>Shields grabs his own leg, moving to mission control of rubber guard.
>Shields tries to suck Akiyama into a triangle.
>Akiyama blocks the attempt.
>Akiyama fires away with short-range hammer fists.
>Shields tries to put Akiyama into a triangle choke from rubber guard.
>Akiyama doesn't let Shields get it.
>The time is up, and that's the end of round one.
>That was a good round, full of action, hopefully we've got more of the same to come.
>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of Shields.

Round 2:

>Shields swiftly avoids a barrage of big punches.
>Shields swiftly avoids a barrage of big punches.
>Shields is looking to turn this into a wrestling match, and is getting in closer to Akiyama.
>Akiyama ends up grappling for supremacy with Shields.
>Shields is trying to muscle Akiyama up against the cage.
>Shields does it, Akiyama is stuck with his back to the cage.
>Shields stomps down on his opponent's foot.
>Shields has gotten underhooks in and is looking to take Akiyama to the ground.
>Shields gets the takedown by using the underhooks for control and working a trip! Akiyama pulls guard.
>Looking to catch his breath, Shields is content to just throw a couple of punches to the body.
>Shields begins trying to pass guard and get a better position.
>Shields passes to half guard.
>Shields attempts to pass half guard.
>He can't quite manage to get past half guard on this attempt.
>Akiyama tries to lock onto an arm from the bottom of half guard.
>Shields blocks it.
>Shields tries to ensnare Akiyama in an arm triangle.
>Akiyama blocks it.

Round 3:

>Shields slips out of the way of a body kick.
>Akiyama drops a shoulder, trying to sucker Shields in with a feint.
>There's a stalemate as both fighters throw strikes, but neither scores.
>Having stepped in close to throw their strikes, they end up grappling.
>Shields has gotten underhooks in and is looking to take Akiyama to the ground.
>Akiyama cannot stop being lifted up and blasted with a Greco-Roman slam, he can only pull guard!
>Yoshihiro Akiyama is looking really tired.
>Shields lies on top of Akiyama, basically smothering him.
>Akiyama is controlled against the ground, unable to shift Shields off of him.
>Time slips away as Shields successfully keeps Akiyama stuck against the ground.
>Shields looks to get past the guard.
>Shields gets past the guard with a certain degree of ease and gains side control.
>Shields looks to roll Akiyama slightly and slip behind.
>Akiyama can't stop it and gives up his back!
>Shields tries to ensnare Akiyama in an armbar.
>Akiyama stops Shields from applying it.
>Shields blocks an attempt to roll him off of the back.
>Shields successfully gets both hooks in, and seems primed to finish.
>We reach the time limit and this fight is over.

Jake Shields def. Yoshihiro Akiyama via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Frankie Edgar (@frankieedgar ) vs. Ben Henderson (@smoothone155 )

Round 1:

>Edgar catches an attempted body kick and goes for the takedown, and gets it! Henderson pulls guard.
>Time slips away as Edgar successfully keeps Henderson stuck against the ground.
>Edgar looks to get past the guard.
>Edgar passes to half guard.
>Edgar looks to get past the half guard.
>Henderson comfortably blocks the attempt and keeps Edgar in half guard.
>Using an underhook to set it up, Henderson looks to scramble for position.
>He may regret that choice, as it gives Edgar the perfect opportunity to get side control.
>Edgar tries to put Henderson into an americana.
>Henderson stops Edgar from applying it.
>Henderson looks ready to try and scramble, but Edgar is quick to move to prevent that.
>Edgar begins trying to get himself into a mount.
>Henderson doesn't let Edgar get the mount, and so he remains at side control.
>Edgar feels Henderson prepare to scramble for position and makes sure it doesn't happen.
>In side control, Edgar begins working to get a mount.
>Henderson doesn't let Edgar get the mount, and so he remains at side control.
>Henderson tries to sweep Edgar but can't do it.
>Edgar tries to ensnare Henderson in an americana.
>Henderson defends himself well.
>I have to give that round to Edgar, but only a 10-9.

Round 2:

>Henderson throws a left kick to the body but Edgar avoids it.
>There's a takedown attempt from Henderson.
>The takedown is successful, Edgar couldn't quite stay on his feet.
>Edgar ends up sitting, his legs trapped under Henderson, with his back pressed against the cage.
>Henderson tries to put Edgar into a guillotine choke.
>Edgar doesn't allow the guillotine to be applied.
>Edgar tries a sweep, but doesn't budge Henderson.
>Henderson tries to improve his position.
>He can't quite manage to get to mount on this attempt.
>Edgar tries to sweep Henderson, but can't.
>Henderson tries to put Edgar into a guillotine choke.
>Edgar doesn't allow the guillotine to be applied.
>Henderson blocks Edgar as he tries a sweep.
>Henderson begins trying to get himself into a more dominant position.
>He finds himself unable to get the mount on this attempt.
>Henderson blocks Edgar as he tries a sweep.
>The lack of progress forces the referee to separate the two fighters.
>Henderson uses a flurry of lefts and rights to get Edgar to cover up, then shoots in looking for a takedown.
>Henderson drives forward and gets the takedown! Edgar couldn't quite stop it.
>Edgar ends up sitting, his legs trapped under Henderson, with his back pressed against the cage.
>Henderson looks to get a more dominant position by pushing Edgar from a seated position onto his back.
>Edgar keeps Henderson close in, not letting the mount happen.
>Round two ends as time expires.
>That was a bit of a snoozer, hopefully the next round brings a little more action.
>That has to go down as a 10-9 round to Henderson.

Round 3:

>Henderson gets suckered in by a feint, and is lucky to avoid the combination that follows.
>Edgar doesn't get drawn in as Henderson feints a kick.
>Edgar counters a left kick to the body by hitting a couple of tight angled jabs and a scorching right hook to the body.
>Henderson comes in with a couple of jabs, using them as cover so that he can shoot in.
>Edgar tries to step away from the takedown.
>The takedown doesn't work, Edgar saw it coming and got out of range.
>Henderson looks to be trying to close the distance between them.
>Edgar is pulled into a grapple.
>Henderson, controlling the grapple with Edgar, tries to scoop him up for a slam.
>Edgar slips out of the attempted lift and takes the back of Henderson as he falls!
>Henderson is in increasing trouble, as Edgar gets both hooks in.
>Edgar has good control, and starts pounding away on Henderson.
>Henderson is taking lots of shots, and can't seem to find a way out from this position!
>The referee stops the fight, he didn't feel Henderson was intelligently defending himself!
>By TKO, the winner is Frankie Edgar!

Frankie Edgar def. Benson Henderson via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 3:07.

Predictions:

ShotgunShogun 10/12

Edvis500 10/12

UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann

March 03, 2012

Sydney, Australia

Allphones Arena

Main Card (FX)

Thiago Alves vs. Martin Kampmann

Joseph Benavidez vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani, flyweight-tourney semifinal

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ian McCall, flyweight-tourney semifinal

Court McGee vs. Constantinos Philippou

Aaron Rosa vs. James Te Huna

Preliminary Card (Fuel TV)

Nick Penner vs. Anthony Perosh

Cole Miller vs. Steven Siler

Jared Hamman vs. Kyle Noke

Jake Hecht vs. T.J. Waldburger

Daniel Pineda vs. Mackens Semerzier

Shawn Jordan vs. Oli Thompson

I like the way you have set up the event reports, the twitter handles are a nice touch. I'm surprised that the Kongo fight went the distance as he is usually involved in finishes on my game, on another note Hatsu Hioki is a beast for me in UFC and is the current Featherweight champion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann

March 03, 2012

Sydney, Australia

Allphones Arena

Main Card (FX)

Main Card (FX)

Matches to make following UFC 144.

by Pete Boudreau.

Frankie Edgar vs. The winner of Diaz/Miller- Dana White has announced that the winner of Nate Diaz and Jim Miller will be number one contender for the lightweight title, so what’s not a better match to make after this fight then said fight.

Benson Henderson vs. Gray Maynard- The only man to ever beat Frankie Edgar, is Gray Maynard, and many believe he beat him twice, however in their third fight Frankie Edgar knocked out Gray Maynard, something he also did to his next opponent, Ben Henderson, so why not have these two fighters meet?

Jake Shields vs. Demian Maia- Jake Shields needs to move up to middleweight, as fighting at welterweight makes him cut a lot of weight and is lowering his cardio down a lot. A good fight for him to take in his middleweight debut is against another ground grappling ace, in Demian Maia, who has called out Jake Shields before.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Dan Hardy- If sexyama stays in the UFC, then Joe Silva has an easy match-up, Sexyama vs. The Outlaw. Two fighters who love to bang and are currently on losing streaks that would normally see someone that is not a fan favourite, get kicked out. Loser goes home match.

Takanori Gomi vs. Jeremy Stephens- Two of the lightweight’s heavy hitters, squaring off in the octagon only means one thing, a knockout and that is what the fans love to see, so what not book a fight between these two fighters.

Quinton Jackson vs. Mauricio Rua- Rampage wanted this fight after his UFC 135 loss to Jones, however he wanted it to take place at this event but it was unable to happen, so I would be surprised if Rampage didn’t want to settle for second best.

Archived