DOTM: April 2012 Nominations

Best CVerse Diary:

WLW: The Impossible Tale of Jeremy Reed by ThriceP86

It's well written and got me to actually play a savegame with WLW which before that I had never played a game with a company based in Japan. Also its simple enough so that if you arent at all familiar with Japanese Wrestling you can follow it without having to have any prior knowledge.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I think we should be up to date with the nominations.

Best CVerse Diary:

NOTBPW: The Prodigal Stone by Blake Trask

Entertaining, funny, with a cast of characters that can best be considered "bland" if not downright boring.

Unfortunately, NOTBPW: The Prodigal Stone only has one show this month. If Blake Trask gets another show in before the end of the month, then I will add the diary.

I'm a big fan of the new categories. I agree though in the past we have had GDS Verse and 9000 verse diaries in the voting (have any won it?) and that was fine but now its all of the sudden not fine?

As many have pointed out there are very few quality RW dynasties that last more than a month. In fact I'm hard pressed to name six that are updated enough to warrant inclusion every month. 4 or 5 but not six. I think if anything it would spark more competition and the "favorites" argument would hold less weight.

Much respect to Bolthino love the dynasty, and I really do like him as a poster. However the "Angel does the work so he decides". With all due respect my HOF nominated friend :) there isn't a whole lot of work in running a dynasty of the month. Tallying votes isn't that difficult and with even more respect kind sir its not like this could be a two person job, and third of all Angel has never asked for help. I don't agree that this guy (who didn't create the DOTM its not his idea he's just doing it) should be all the being decider of something that we ALL care about.

In fact I'd suggest we put it to a board vote next month. Every body just posts in a thread yay or nay on some of the issues. No pming someone for a vote, no getting more points because you are a HOF' or DOTM'r. Just simply putting it in a thread before May and saying "here are the issues now lets vote and decide how to approach them moving forward". In fact I'm formally asking that we do just that. If indeed the C Verse should stay holy and we band everything else together then great. Everyone will get a vote. As well as I'd like to vote on the swapping of Real World and Cornellverse. I don't read many real world dynasties and if I do and I want to vote for it however I'd like to be able to nominate some writer even if he writes for the same universe as soemone else I voted for. So I'm saying whats the harm in creating a voting thread before May where everyone speaks their mind and offers up an official vote? That way there is no more bickering and whatever viewpoints win out thats that and we can get back to having fun. I just don't like Angel or anyone else changing things just because he wants to with no input from the others that are involved in this in any way as voters, as writers or as spectators.

We all have heard complaints that in dynasty and HOF voting that its an "elite few that matter". I don't believe that as I've seen countless times over someone new come into the scene and be met with the praise they deserve. ajcrible comes to mind. So lets put it to a board wide vote. No extra points for any "accolades" no post count or dynasty experience limits. So unless I'm missing something this seems like the most reasonable, logical way of resolving the matter. I think both sides have good viewpoints but I just don't like Angel or anyone else for that matter just deciding that the way we do things is changing without asking I don't think thats fair. And some might say that they don't mind it but a few myself included have said they do mind.

Like the idea of new categories.. However, it could be tough to go from month to month with this (storylines running a few months at a time...is it eligible if it wins one month) anyways regardless and kudo's to angel for spicing things up

Im sure I'll have a few more... but for now

Most compelling Storyline:

Olympia's: Last Gasp of the AWA

The breakup of the Freebirds:

Freebirds surprisingly lose the title and we expect Michael Hayes to go to the WWF, but this is kayfabe and who really knows... He and Gordy team up for a return match (And despite Hayes possibly leaving, you still feel Birds might win titles back, until Buddy Jack comes in and lays Hayes out)

Id nominate Rhudipoo for best real world, but someone already has beat me to it... Very different, alternative take on real world in todays age... In fact I might watch todays wrestling if it were like this...

Also, probably a TFC posting away from a match of the month nomination with his ROH

When it comes to the DOTM, I took things over in July of last year because we didn't have one in June and most were too busy with their real lives to keep something like this updated. So it was no problem since I wasn't working at the time. I had plenty of time to jump aboard and run things and have been doing so ever since.

The new categories were honestly not my idea. Both Boltinho and jhd1 came to me in pm to talk about the DOTM and the actual categories came to me from Boltinho. And I appreciate the new categories because they do spice things up.

I have spoken at length about the whole C-Verse/fictional universe debate on here so I have nothing left to say about that.

The reasoning behind the whole 'cannot switch votes' decision was because I wanted to drum up some possible interest in other diaries. Maybe spark some people to look at diaries that otherwise they would not have.

But at the end of the day this is all a game and a board where we talk about what went on in a game. Granted, I know that there are people on here who don't like me, personally. To those people, well, you make your own decisions about who you like and who you don't like. It's no skin off my back.

So after giving it some thought and reading all of the debate I've decided to step down running the DOTM and just go back to writing diaries. Since there 'isn't a whole lot of work in running a dynasty of the month' I am sure that there will be no issue with finding someone who can take my place. Thanks and have a wonderful day everyone.

Real World: Pass

CornellVerse: Money to Burn: 1 Year of Wrestling

Rookie: AWF: The Thunder Era (jhdVerse)

Storyline: GWO vs. OYWL in Money to Burn: 1 Year of Wrestling

Gimmick: Mike Tenay in WWE Bizzaro

Character: Edd Stone in TCW: A Quiet Retirement

Angle: Giedroyc's promo against Duane Stone in SWF: Supreme

there isn't a whole lot of work in running a dynasty of the month.

Um, it ate about 10 hours a month of my free time for three years. not including DOTY, HOF and other awards. or putting up the HTML.

that's 360 hours, donated free of charge to the boards. it is A LOT of work

At the end of the day the person running it gets to decide. would you like to know why? because at the end of the day it's Angel's time or my time, or who ever is running it's time.

I always tried to take as many sides of an issue as I could, and balance them against my opinion, the desires of the community and what made sense. At the end of the day though to do it month in and month out, some times it had to be a way that was workable for the person doing the work

When it comes to the DOTM, I took things over in July of last year because we didn't have one in June and most were too busy with their real lives to keep something like this updated. So it was no problem since I wasn't working at the time. I had plenty of time to jump aboard and run things and have been doing so ever since.

The new categories were honestly not my idea. Both Boltinho and jhd1 came to me in pm to talk about the DOTM and the actual categories came to me from Boltinho. And I appreciate the new categories because they do spice things up.

I have spoken at length about the whole C-Verse/fictional universe debate on here so I have nothing left to say about that.

The reasoning behind the whole 'cannot switch votes' decision was because I wanted to drum up some possible interest in other diaries. Maybe spark some people to look at diaries that otherwise they would not have.

But at the end of the day this is all a game and a board where we talk about what went on in a game. Granted, I know that there are people on here who don't like me, personally. To those people, well, you make your own decisions about who you like and who you don't like. It's no skin off my back.

So after giving it some thought and reading all of the debate I've decided to step down running the DOTM and just go back to writing diaries. Since there 'isn't a whole lot of work in running a dynasty of the month' I am sure that there will be no issue with finding someone who can take my place. Thanks and have a wonderful day everyone.

If that how you feel, thank you for the year of service. It is appreciated.

I just didn't see what the big deal in letting the dynasty readers, the writers, spectators and anyone else that wants to comment on it comment on it. This is not intended to be that large of an issue and I'm certainly not trying to make it into one. I just simply stated I felt that just randomly changing the rules one month is a bit shocking. There wasn't a "Hey starting in this month here are the new rules I'm doing".

I will admit I did not think about the html table that has every winner in it that part escaped me. I'm again not trying to offend it does seem though that everytime someone offers a reasonable suggestion with something if it doesn't coincide with what the majority seem to agree on its met with haste and dramatization such as people "leaving the board" as we've seen in the past and people stepping down. It is just a game and this is just a board but that doesn't mean that we can't have a simple discussion on it.

If anyone is stopping the running of this thing because of some reasonable words from me thats pretty silly so I hope thats not the case. At any rate do whatever I seem to be the only one that has an issue with it so I'm done talking about it and again Mistaken I didn't mean to offend you if you took it that way I do apologize.

I will admit I did not think about the html table that has every winner in it that part escaped me.

I shudder to think how long it will take to fix that table, as well as the DOTY archives, now that all the picture links are broken. I'll probably attempt it at some point (unless someone else beats me to it), but it is not something I'm looking forward to.

I hope you'll reconsider, angel, but if not, thanks for picking up the slack and running this thing for the better part of a year. If you truly do decide to stop running this I suppose I could offer to fill in, as I'm not terribly busy currently. I'd much rather you continue on, of course--you're doing a fine job, and it means less work for me. :D

I gues what it comes down to is... does it really matter? We're trying something different. If it doesn't work out, angel (or whoever takes over) can change things up.

I'm actually pleased to see it just thrown out there for us to experiment with. It may have been more democratic to put it to a debate or whatever first, but if whoever's running things wants to change things up I see it as their prerogative. The debating gets contained to a single topic this way, rather than two ;)

Now, if only I had time to read diaries and nominate... Might put in a shift on a few in the next few days and try and beat the deadline.

In an effort to get some new names into consideration:

Real world diary of the month

Big Time Wrestling (Golden Age Mod)

The Pacific Northwest territory is expanding, having recently taken over the UWF. The ensuing 'takeover" angle has taken a new twist as there are 4 different stables involved from the PNW mainstays, The PNW troublemakers, the UWF outsiders, and even Bill Watts leading another group trying to preserve the legacy and history of the NWA and the territory system.

recent Billy Jack title win over Buddy Rose was outstanding.

btw, I like the idea of the new catagories. While I don't want to advocate separate Cverse and RW votes for each, I hope there is a way to give mention to top RealWorld vote getters

I gues what it comes down to is... does it really matter? We're trying something different. If it doesn't work out, angel (or whoever takes over) can change things up.

I'm actually pleased to see it just thrown out there for us to experiment with. It may have been more democratic to put it to a debate or whatever first, but if whoever's running things wants to change things up I see it as their prerogative. The debating gets contained to a single topic this way, rather than two ;)

Now, if only I had time to read diaries and nominate... Might put in a shift on a few in the next few days and try and beat the deadline.

YES. I spoke to Angel and just thought it would be fin to try something different.

If it doesnt work and people dont like it we stop/change back.

Simples.

Also - add my thanks to everyone whos helped out with these awards - Id take over but I just dont got the time this year

I want to say I had no problems with the new categories, I am not sure if people think that I did so I wanted to make that clear. What I thought was/is unnecessary is to make another fictional category. That to me is a huge waste of time and we did not have a need for it before so I do not see why all of a sudden there is a huge need for it now.

In my opinion there simply is not a large enough pool to support such a thing. All fictional diaries have always been lumped in with the C-Verse DOTM. I remember DWW's old 9000-Verse diary being lumped in with the C-Verse diaries. If I recall correctly TecDax's 9000-Verse diary has been up for DOTM in the past (If I am wrong about that I am sorry.).

So there was no need for a special category before but now there is. That was what I was talking about. This was not even an argument on my part I just voicing my opinion.

Let me be blunt the life span of diaries on here is not that long for the most part. How many fly by night diaries do we see pop up on here and then are gone tomorrow. It happens all of the time, mostly Real World diaries but it does happen with C-Verse diaries as well. I am just saying that if the pool of other fictional worlds besides the C-Verse, is small (Added to that there are probably going to be fly by night diaries for those mods as well.) why should they get a special category?

What are you going to have a three or four person DOTM each month for the category? Why bother when they can be put in with the C-Verse diaries where they always have been.

So to reiterate I have nothing against the new categories, I just do not see the point of making another fictional award when the C-Verse DOTM could easily have all fictional mods in it.

Personally, I would rather have new category for non-C-verse diaries simply because C-Verse category has been the one that has most nominations already. Also if those other fictional diaries would be throw to existing category I would rather put them with real world diaries and rename the category as mod diaries or something similar as there seldom seems to be more than three to four diaries in real world category anyway. That said I don´t have any problems with which ever solution is used as long as those non-real world/C-Verse diaries can be voted as DOTM.

C-Verse Diary: Charasmatic Enigma´s MPW: Built from scratch (0/0/0/0 C-Verse)http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514353

I doubt it´s any secret that I like 0/0/0/0 diaries and Enigma´s is well made diary with good storylines and match write-ups.

Best storyline: Aria of Forbidden Magic vs. Visionary Scarlet Devil from TecDax´s Return of the Son of Touhou II (9000verse diary) http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507736

I have wanted to nominate this diary for some time now and these new categories give me change to do just that. There has been plenty of good storyline´s in this diary but the one with Alice & Marisa has been my favorite.

Most interesting character: Sky King from Jingo´s The Next Generation of Awesome: SAW! http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334946

Pretty much any character in this diary could be here but Sky King and his group of wacky super heroes are my favorites.

Also if those other fictional diaries would be throw to existing category I would rather put them with real world diaries and rename the category as mod diaries or something similar as there seldom seems to be more than three to four diaries in real world category anyway.

You know that is a good idea putting those all together in an other mod category. That way the real world gets more competition and it would save the board from having two smaller categories.

You know that is a good idea putting those all together in an other mod category. That way the real world gets more competition and it would save the board from having two smaller categories.

I, yet again, nominate Eisen-verse's WAR on the Vegas Strip for CVerse for it's deep storytelling.

By the way, does anyone have a Rookie they think I should take a look at?

Right time to complete my nominations ...

CVerse: 1 Year of Wrestling - Great idea and it really does deserve an honorable mention now it's hit that landmark show.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35958

Best Storyline: The Blacklists arrival in AWF (JHDVerse)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515189

Most Interesting Character: Lt. Geoffrey C. Westminster II in Tiberious4's vision of POW - Great characteristics and alot of fun.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1765740&postcount=86

I have a couple more nominations at the moment, but as they need direct links providing, I want to first ask:

Do we have someone stepping up to run DOTM yet?

I'm willing to step in starting next month, if angel doesn't change his mind and no one else wants to volunteer. It's up to angel to keep this particular thread updated though, since he created it under his name rather than The Curator account.

I'm willing to step in starting next month, if angel doesn't change his mind and no one else wants to volunteer. It's up to angel to keep this particular thread updated though, since he created it under his name rather than The Curator account.

I think we can cope with the updates being elsewhere than the first post...

OK, as it has been several days with no word from angel, I guess I'll go ahead and step in. I'll get the nominations up to date in a little bit.

Before I do, though, I have a question. Would anyone object to me combining the Match and Gimmick Match categories into one? Having both of those categories seems superfluous to me. (And unless I missed something, there's only been one nomination in the Gimmick Match category.)

OK, as it has been several days with no word from angel, I guess I'll go ahead and step in. I'll get the nominations up to date in a little bit.

Before I do, though, I have a question. Would anyone object to me combining the Match and Gimmick Match categories into one? Having both of those categories seems superfluous to me. (And unless I missed something, there's only been one nomination in the Gimmick Match category.)

Makes sense to me, as does the idea of combining all the non-Cverse into one mod category, but I'll not start that up again :p

Archived