• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I too moved all their Wednesday PPVs, even though I doubt I will return to this save.

Add me to the list of people who can't make USPW work. 5 straight bad shows and a lost national battle knocked me down to Cult too.

Even with a working agreement with TCW allowing me to borrow Bryan Vassey I still can't pull off good matches.

I did managed to get Peter Valentine insane momentum though, that ought to mollify Sam a bit. But getting Andre to 83? That's a tall order.

If it makes you feel better, I hit cult after two shows!

Well I'm using Duane Fry as my avatar character now so he can replace Danny Jillefski. Hopefully this leads to better results.

Really frustrated by USPW's situation. :( Might prefer if they just started out at Cult again. No point of having a 3-way national battle that is over in a couple weeks.

I shall press on though. :)

Bringing in Matt Keith, Steve Parker, Greg Black, Phunk, and Roger Cage. I've got a lot of work to do with this roster.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaded" data-cite="Jaded" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34901" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If it makes you feel better, I hit cult after two shows!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Three for me, but even the computer can't run USPW. When I ran a month of PSW they still fell to cult.</p>

So I've booked three shows so far with USPW. I haven't hired a soul. I got a C+ then a B- and now a B overall rating in show three. Its damn hard but lots of Sam Strong Tyson Baine and Nicky Champion along with C matches from two different female feuds. I was worried USPW had foresaken me but I'm finally pulling out decent ratings.

<p>I love USPW, but I feel like it is stuck in early mid 90's WCW mode. It's a bunch of big guys vs the goody goody Nicky Champion. Ala, Dungeon of Doom vs Hulk Hogan.</p><p> </p><p>

You can keep good show ratings, yes, but that's not getting at the issues with the company. From what I can tell, they'd probably be better off dropping back to cult for a year, overhauling a bit of the roster by adding 1-2 new faces in the Main Event and Upper Mid each(if not more, but you don't want to completely kill the popularity of the guys who are keeping you floating right now), and re-do the under card.</p><p> </p><p>

Of course, Sam Strong probably wouldn't be happy with that plan.</p><p> </p><p>

Found these. On second thought, don't change a thing.</p><p>

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ruLQDpdQi4A?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="WCW Dungeon of Doom Full Segment hilarious"></iframe></div></div><p>

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/LhwHPiOKQyI?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Nitro '95 - Hogan gets BIZARRE~!"></iframe></div></div>

<p>It's not so bad. I think it does take some practice getting used to the product/booking style since it's not-so like today's wrestling.</p><p> </p><p>

I booked a B rated show on my very first attempt which didn't have me lose any popularity.</p><p> </p><p>

I'll show you the card I did. I can't remember what road agent notes I used, but I'll guess...</p><p> </p><p>

Alicia Strong over Gorgon and Bryden - probably script and open. ©</p><p> </p><p>

Angle with Sam Strong rated on entertainment. (A)</p><p> </p><p>

Datsun over Jones - probably open and scripted. (D+)</p><p> </p><p>

Angle with Caulfield cutting a promo on Bruce. (B-)</p><p> </p><p>

Caulfield over Dave Diamond - kept Caulfield strong and match was open and scripted. (D+)</p><p> </p><p>

Angle with Caulfield and Sam Strong rated on entertainment. (B-)</p><p> </p><p>

Savage Fury over Cold Warriors - Auto booked, and didn't put in any agent notes. (C-)</p><p> </p><p>

Justice and Enygma over Towers of Power - Open/Script (B-)</p><p> </p><p>

Angle based on overness with Justice/Force/Enygma beating up TRex/Jumbo/Muscles ©</p><p> </p><p>

Nicky Champion over Jumbo - open/script (B-)</p><p> </p><p>

Monster angle w/ Baine and Champion (A)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Only negative note I received was using Sam Strong too much. So try to limit him to one angle per night. I was kind of surprised it got me a B. I was expecting B-, but I guess perfect show theory and the last angle of the night had an impact on the overall?</p>

I only ran one show and it was pretty bad, but I did get a 90 from having Nicky do the entrance angle.

Also think they need 4 or 5 storylines going maybe more.

They need three storylines with at least C level heat. The best way to get that is to create two or three more storylines and hope for the best.

I love that USPW is the land of the giants. Now that I've figured the game out I can hit a B nearly every show with them the first few weeks are the toughest getting everyone just a half notch more over but its perfectly fine.

Could you shed some light on your strategy? To me it seems, that all the lesser skilled workers are dropping in pop like crazy whenever booked in matches. There would be no way to book them in enough angles to make up for this. Some like Redwood, Thatcher and Valentine are dropping a full point or more per match.

Just a heads-up from some testing - if you leave Strong's push as road agent then you can use him for 10 minutes max, 11 gets the 'slightly overused' note. (This is with C- momentum, I don't THINK it changes with higher momentum but it is a possibility.)

Bruce, Enygma, Nicky Champion, Tyson Baine and James Justice are all a B- or higher when the game starts.

In my eyes we got this big World War III storyline going on thats six guys right there. We got the Main Event with Baine and Champion. Then on top of that we have a ton of female workers that can produce C matches everytime out from the first show on.

So my strategy is focus on the big name players the most. There is enough going on and you only have an hour and a half. I don't use anyone that isn't one of those names above in an angle. I use those names above to pull two main events out of every week for the first month. Then I add in a women's match and usually a tag team match.

At the very least you only need to find 51 minutes of wrestling a week if you run the minimum of 85 minutes of show time.

So I do tag matches with Justice/Enygma vs. Towers of Power for ten minutes. I run two female matches one runs for ten the other runs for about eight. Then I choose Baine or Champion and throw in the likes of Caulfield and Jackson that aren't doing anything for a ten minute match. Then I try to add in either Natural Storm or the Cold Warriors for a tag team match for the remaining time.

Its not going to get you A shows and maybe not even B shows your first go around but its almost guaranteed that you're going to get a B- show at the least. My theory is that I can start including the lower card guys in the pre shows and even have the likes of Devine and Wolf and others interacting with Sam Strong on the show. You put Devine complaining to Strong about being under used or whatever or Strong praising Wolf and you slowly get these guys over in angles while you work them in matches on the pre show.

Thats what I do and so far its turning out just fine. Lots of people are always in a rush to include the lower card less popular guys in all sorts of match ups on the show. My theory is that I'm paying these main eventers a lot of money they're popular for a reason and I only have 90 minutes of television a week. I'm going to showcase my stars while slowly introducing the rest of the card until they can hang with the established guys.

Bruce, Enygma, Nicky Champion, Tyson Baine and James Justice are all a B- or higher when the game starts.

In my eyes we got this big World War III storyline going on thats six guys right there. We got the Main Event with Baine and Champion. Then on top of that we have a ton of female workers that can produce C matches everytime out from the first show on.

So my strategy is focus on the big name players the most. There is enough going on and you only have an hour and a half. I don't use anyone that isn't one of those names above in an angle. I use those names above to pull two main events out of every week for the first month. Then I add in a women's match and usually a tag team match.

At the very least you only need to find 51 minutes of wrestling a week if you run the minimum of 85 minutes of show time.

So I do tag matches with Justice/Enygma vs. Towers of Power for ten minutes. I run two female matches one runs for ten the other runs for about eight. Then I choose Baine or Champion and throw in the likes of Caulfield and Jackson that aren't doing anything for a ten minute match. Then I try to add in either Natural Storm or the Cold Warriors for a tag team match for the remaining time.

Its not going to get you A shows and maybe not even B shows your first go around but its almost guaranteed that you're going to get a B- show at the least. My theory is that I can start including the lower card guys in the pre shows and even have the likes of Devine and Wolf and others interacting with Sam Strong on the show. You put Devine complaining to Strong about being under used or whatever or Strong praising Wolf and you slowly get these guys over in angles while you work them in matches on the pre show.

Thats what I do and so far its turning out just fine. Lots of people are always in a rush to include the lower card less popular guys in all sorts of match ups on the show. My theory is that I'm paying these main eventers a lot of money they're popular for a reason and I only have 90 minutes of television a week. I'm going to showcase my stars while slowly introducing the rest of the card until they can hang with the established guys.

Sounds like really good advice! Will give that a go and see how I get on. Thanks Stennick.

I just restarted a USPW game and with my second show I was able to get an easy B.

I started out with a Shane Sneer/T Rex/Engyma/Sam Strong angle which had T Rex rated on menance and Engyma and Strong rated on overness and Sneer not rated since he's not really doing anything. That got a B+

Belle vs. Raven Robinson at nine minutes and scripted with Belle winning got a C

A segment with Sam Strong Nicky Champion and Tyson Baine with Strong rated on entertainment and Champion/Baine rated on overness got me an A

Gorgon vs. Melody scripted at ten minutes with Melody getting the flash pin got me a C rating.

Then an Alicia Strong promo got me a B-

Natural Storm vs. Samoan Wildboyz got me a C

a T Rex rated on menace and James Justice on overness angle got me an A

Engyma vs. Jumbo Jackson got me a C+

Nicky Champion and Sam Strong promo got me an A

Baine vs. Champion got me a B-

Baine attacking Champion after the match got me an A

Overall show was a B

So its just a matter of not rolling out the Giant Redwoods and Dusty Bins. Afterall you have an hour and a half of television. Let your women's division be your workhorses any combination of Raven, Alicia, Belle, Cherry and Gorgon is getting me atleast a C. Between Rex and Baine you got two guys that can bring the Menace. Strong is a lock for entertainment and overness. Champion Justice and Engyma are over enough to draw good angle ratings. Mix in a tag match with The Natural Storm and you're doing just fine.

The awesome hour of pre show time does wonders I can run two or three eight minute matches a few promos and develop my under card for a month before finally mixing it up more in month two and slowly bringing in these slightly more over under card guys. The more I play USPW the more fun I'm having with it this year. It hasn't been this fun for me to play as them since 08

Yeah, I think the problem with USPW, more than any other promotion in the game, is that you have to "play TEW" rather than "run USPW", if you know what I mean.

It is very, very possible to get good grades with them, but you'd struggle if you approached it from a narrative standpoint like I do with all my games. T-Rex or Jumbo Jackson in a match towards the end of the card basically can't happen, at least not early on. The Force struggles too. So that really reduces the number of viable main events for a while.

Plus, USPW is a lot less lenient when it comes to doing something "for storyline reasons". For example, if I want someone like Mokuami Maita or Acid to cut a promo in WLW (not the most entertaining of chaps, but reasonably over relatively speaking) because they have something to say, that's fine. It won't grade particularly well, but that can be overcome. You can still have a good show. If Krusher Karloff has something to say in USPW, bye bye good show. :p

Conversely, maybe Tyson Baine doesn't have much to add to a storyline this week? Tough. He's got B popularity and A menace, he NEEDS to be in an angle on the show. I think it's that, more than the opposite, that puts me off USPW as a company. I don't like playing the numbers game so much. Not that it's not a valid tactic, I just don't personally like playing that way. I can deal with not using guys who suck outside of dark matches, but I can't deal with the nagging voice in my mind that says "you haven't used Engyma yet. He'll get you a solid B angle so you probably should".

I can still get B-/B shows regularly, but I sometimes have to stop myself booking segments I know will be crap. That's the great thing about the Cornellverse though, there's something for everyone. Literally.

Yeah, I think the problem with USPW, more than any other promotion in the game, is that you have to "play TEW" rather than "run USPW", if you know what I mean.

Yeah that's very true and tbh it bothers me as I enjoy the old school feel of USPW and all my long term games in TEW2008 and 2010 were with USPW. In the previous games I already had to leave the path I would have liked to go because there simply was no way to grow at some point if your Main Events didn't feature high psych guys. I was very excited to read that angle ratings are gonna be factored in more strongly into the overall show rating and thought this will make it more feasible to "run USPW" as you put it. So far it hasn't quite worked out the way I hoped it would.

It pains me to say it, but USPW is destined to die with it's ancient roster. In 5 years all these guys will be winding down their careers, unable to hack it for a 90 minute program, and then what? None of the young guys (save Nicky Champion) are getting over to build for the future.

USPW needs to suck it up and push people under 35 to the moon if they want a chance at taking on TCW or SWF, because while Total Wrestling is pulling half of Supreme TV's numbers USPW is pulling half of theirs.

i move all my PPV's to week 4 Saturday, first of all.

So i was running my TV's like normal, flogging sam, entertainment angles, mence angles, diva angles w/ sam... And still was only getting C+ ratings all month. Finally i get to my ppv and i am worried. More time, i left the match ratio at 90%... i was sure i was falling to cult tonight. I end up pulling off a B- show, GAIN popularity for the first time since i started a USPW game. Nick and Tyson pull off a B match(wow), but still even with a Sam pop in, no A rating for the closing angle between the 3.

anyway, i loose the national war that month(no shit lol) and fall to cult still. I tried :-(

It pains me to say it, but USPW is destined to die with it's ancient roster. In 5 years all these guys will be winding down their careers, unable to hack it for a 90 minute program, and then what? None of the young guys (save Nicky Champion) are getting over to build for the future.

USPW needs to suck it up and push people under 35 to the moon if they want a chance at taking on TCW or SWF, because while Total Wrestling is pulling half of Supreme TV's numbers USPW is pulling half of theirs.

But their whole existence is built around stars they didn't create. They just have to try to steal away other promotion's talent- it's the USPW way! Get excited for Nicky Champion vs Frederique Antonio Garcia, or the exciting team of Lobster Warrior and Jim Force!

Wow, when I say it like that, it really does sound like Dungeon of Doom era WCW.

But surely that's the beauty of the game? Yes of course you have to follow the "USPW" course for the first few months and yes maybe you will take a hit, but surely the point of the game is that you as the booker are the one who decides who to push. The point is that how Shane Sneer did things wasn't working so you were "employed".

It's the same as when you play Football Manager (sorry I'm British); just because you start the game playing as Stoke, doesn't mean you have to stick to long ball. Just because you start the game as Liverpool doesn't mean you have to pretend Stuart Downing is a good player, just because you're Arsenal doesn't mean that you have to avoid winning trophies like they're infested with Doxies.

Surely the whole point, and one that stops the game becoming repetative is that every game can be different and doesn't HAVE to be centred around whatever it is it was previously centred around.

Another point to make is that USPW have started somewhat of a youth movement meaning that clearly Strong isn't adverse to change. Hiring Running Wolf, Atlas, Howard, Ducont, Rayne, and Novak shows an intent to improve the average age of the roster.

You have the money to start development, you have the type of owner happy to open up working agreements with other willing companies. There is definate room for improvement.

You can definitely put together a solid tag division. Death Row and Samoan Wildboyz are available. They aren't over the hill, but they are talent that was built up in another mainstream company. Their skills match up pretty well to the USPW product as well. Check out Clark Alexander, Greg Black, Boone, and Pete Hall as well. The right talent is out there; you don't have to go hiring a bunch of Davis Wayne Newtons.

my first steps for USPW over the years:

1)Get your main event heels to A overness(tyson, T-rex and Bruce till this year with his shitty contract)

2)Pick your top 3 Faces and build them. I normally have 1 really over person, James or Engyma normally. Start putting them over the least over talent(Bruce this year basically) and build your full core of main eventers.

3) With step 1 and 2 complete, start using them apart from each other. 3 v 3 tag matches with Tyson and T-rex where always very effect method.

4) Build a womens division thats NOT WWE's version. Get them OVER. And do so before they are in there 30's or you are wasting time half the time.

5) Flog Sam Strong. Put him in every angle. Monster attacking? why not let Sam interview them before or after?

Archived