SWF In 2013

Guest KingOfKings

Had a bit of time this weekend to actually book Supreme a little. Figured I'd throw a couple more observations out there...

-two B+ shows jumped the company to International so they obviously aren't that far away from growth.

-not quite as desperate as TCW, but its a good idea to address the backstage as quick as possible. By putting an extra User Talent point into Leadership and adjusting the starting rules, I was able to get the backstage rating above 70% right off the start. I believe that's the minimum level. Signing a few positive influences should help further.

-I have honestly never found SWF difficult to book for results but it certainly seems like they are even easier on 2013. I admit I booked "cheaply" (by my approach) to get the solid grades off the start, but solid results are not difficult. Put your top guys on every show, maximize the guys who are really good in the ring, and avoid using lower card guys very much. I've gotten great results from relatively simple, Entertainment-based angles for my top guys. Even guys who aren't fantastic on the microphone, like Remo, can pull an A grade promo.

-I was surprised by how many workers won't sign Supreme due to the Risque levels in the product. I know it came up occasionally in 2010 but I got turned down by 4 or 5 young talents I would have liked to snap up. The solution is dropping the Risque but the boss won't allow that and I didn't want to edit the product on a test game.

-after running a couple of watcher games, its surprising to see some guys go in decline in the mid-30s. Really talented workers who I would love to sign in an SWF or TCW game becoming almost unusable a year or two in the game... Even if you don't get owner goals that restrict you in regard to hiring, it makes sense to focus on developing new talent from within, for the most part.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had a bit of time this weekend to actually book Supreme a little. Figured I'd throw a couple more observations out there...

-two B+ shows jumped the company to International so they obviously aren't that far away from growth.

-not quite as desperate as TCW, but its a good idea to address the backstage as quick as possible. By putting an extra User Talent point into Leadership and adjusting the starting rules, I was able to get the backstage rating above 70% right off the start. I believe that's the minimum level. Signing a few positive influences should help further.

-I have honestly never found SWF difficult to book for results but it certainly seems like they are even easier on 2013. I admit I booked "cheaply" (by my approach) to get the solid grades off the start, but solid results are not difficult. Put your top guys on every show, maximize the guys who are really good in the ring, and avoid using lower card guys very much. I've gotten great results from relatively simple, Entertainment-based angles for my top guys. Even guys who aren't fantastic on the microphone, like Remo, can pull an A grade promo.

-I was surprised by how many workers won't sign Supreme due to the Risque levels in the product. I know it came up occasionally in 2010 but I got turned down by 4 or 5 young talents I would have liked to snap up. The solution is dropping the Risque but the boss won't allow that and I didn't want to edit the product on a test game.

-after running a couple of watcher games, its surprising to see some guys go in decline in the mid-30s. Really talented workers who I would love to sign in an SWF or TCW game becoming almost unusable a year or two in the game... Even if you don't get owner goals that restrict you in regard to hiring, it makes sense to focus on developing new talent from within, for the most part.

To your first point: SWF pulled one frickin' A rated show from their first three in my game and jumped to International. They're just on the edge at the start of the game, it seems.

So I've decided in my next SWF game when I get my B show I'm going to pick up Swoop McCarthy, D-Pod, SubUrban Legend, Forgue Element and Fro Sure to make a 1970's style hustla stable out of the lot of them. Although I may need to change Swoop, D-Pod and Legend's names so they have the word "Fro" in them

That is all.

I don't see a Suzi Slam I vaguely remember the name from 2010 but did she get a name change for 2013.

Been spending too much time in the CV97... she's Susan Lee these days and doesn't have the afro any more. But she used to have a great afro, she'd be perfect if there's no-one else... and it's too late here for me to think too hard about anything, so I'll leave that to someone else. :)

How about a cheesey magician type with an afro? Fro Mage. :)

Been spending too much time in the CV97... she's Susan Lee these days and doesn't have the afro any more. But she used to have a great afro, she'd be perfect if there's no-one else... and it's too late here for me to think too hard about anything, so I'll leave that to someone else. :)

How about a cheesey magician type with an afro? Fro Mage. :)

Oh wait Candy Floss has an Afro its pink but its still an Afro.

I would LOVE to see your cards. Because even my main events are pulling low 70s on nearly everything, but match and angle wise. I'm LUCKY if I get an 85 angle, yet to have a match higher than the low 80s.

I'd love to know what the hell I'm doing wrong...

I would LOVE to see your cards. Because even my main events are pulling low 70s on nearly everything, but match and angle wise. I'm LUCKY if I get an 85 angle, yet to have a match higher than the low 80s.

I'd love to know what the hell I'm doing wrong...

Sure. First show I ran on the game...

Christian Faith Promo - A

Jack Bruce & Valiant d. The Platinum Blondes - B

Vengeance Promo - B+

The Amazing Bumfholes d. The Pain Alliance - C+

Money, James, Huntingdon & Roberts d. Retro, Davids & Hero Squad - C+

Remo Promo - B+

Vengeance d. American Machine - C

Lobster Warrior Promo - B

Steve Frehley d. Joe Sexy - B

Faith d. McClean - B

Bruce & Valiant Promo - B+

Remo d. Angry Gilmoer - B+

Remo & Frehley Confrontation - A

I wouldn't typically have quite as many ME vs UMC matches... but like I said, kinda lazy. I do have Perfect Show Theory turned off, also in pursuit of lazy. The promos were all basic Entertainment-rated angles I create (with the target off-screen based on Overness) and they always tend to grade well. I tend to go easy on the Road Agent notes, though I do use Interference on occasion. Don't think I had any notable chemistry help. The next two shows were similar.

Sure. First show I ran on the game...

Christian Faith Promo - A

Jack Bruce & Valiant d. The Platinum Blondes - B

Vengeance Promo - B+

The Amazing Bumfholes d. The Pain Alliance - C+

Money, James, Huntingdon & Roberts d. Retro, Davids & Hero Squad - C+

Remo Promo - B+

Vengeance d. American Machine - C

Lobster Warrior Promo - B

Steve Frehley d. Joe Sexy - B

Faith d. McClean - B

Bruce & Valiant Promo - B+

Remo d. Angry Gilmoer - B+

Remo & Frehley Confrontation - A

I wouldn't typically have quite as many ME vs UMC matches... but like I said, kinda lazy. I do have Perfect Show Theory turned off, also in pursuit of lazy. The promos were all basic Entertainment-rated angles I create (with the target off-screen based on Overness) and they always tend to grade well. I tend to go easy on the Road Agent notes, though I do use Interference on occasion. Don't think I had any notable chemistry help. The next two shows were similar.

Whereas, here's my first show:

Pre-show: Hero Squad d. Quadruple B (61)

Pre-show: The Pain Alliance d. The Awesomeness (65)

Pre-Show: Valiant d. John Greed

Rich Money makes a surprise appearance 77

Angry Gilmore d. Joe Sexy 77

Gilmore rants about Eisen 67

The All-Americans d. The Platinum Blondes to defend their titles 67

Eisen is interviewed backstage about Gilmore 70

Paul Huntingdon d. Marshall Dillon 53

Brandon James d. Robbie Retro 60

Bruce saves Retro from beatdown by James 76

The Amazing Bumfholes d. Squeeky McClean and Enforcer Roberts 64

Bruce and Valiant rant about James and Rogue 76

Rogue d. Lobster Warrior 80

James and Rogue are interviewed backstage about Bruce and Valiant 84

Money hosts talkshow with guests Frehley, Remo, Faith and Vengeance 76

Not terrible, but bad enough to lose me popularity in most places.

Your Co-Main event let you down big time, Bumfholes vs. Roberts and McClean isn't good enough to co-main.

Also, Rogue and Lobster Warrior's popularity (B-) isn't enough to main event at the start although 80 is still a pretty good grade, generally if I'm going to have Rogue or Warrior main event it will involve some of the most popular guys - Faith, Vengeance, Remo, Frehley, Bruce and Money, even Eisen who's a B I believe.

I got to International and my highest show rating was a B....

Curious how long that took?

Your Co-Main event let you down big time, Bumfholes vs. Roberts and McClean isn't good enough to co-main.

Also, Rogue and Lobster Warrior's popularity (B-) isn't enough to main event at the start although 80 is still a pretty good grade, generally if I'm going to have Rogue or Warrior main event it will involve some of the most popular guys - Faith, Vengeance, Remo, Frehley, Bruce and Money, even Eisen who's a B I believe.

Agree with this.

Looking at in your card, Sigilistic, it looks like you have a main event of upper midcarders and a semi main of mostly midcarders. Those are rarely going to deliver in those spots. If you do it really carefully, it can, but its not a safe approach. Switch that to something like Money over Lobster Warrior in the main event spot and maybe Brandon James and Rogue over the Bumfhole's... those should deliver the kind of grades to give you at least a strong B show, if not a B+.

A couple of the angle grades surprised me as well. Looking particularly at the Gilmore rant and the final Money segment. Did you get any particular notes on those ones on the Dirt Sheet? Those both strike me as a bit low to what I would expect from those involved...

Not terrible, but bad enough to lose me popularity in most places.

For my two main events I stick to main eventers against upper midcarders.

Look for people with good psychology like Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean, Lobster Warrior. That'll give you your B and B+ matches for your TV.

For anybody not being used, use them in angles, pre-show matches against people with good selling or as an opening show match with somebody lower down but great skills like Enforcer Roberts.

Then when it comes to PPV's you can stick your main eventers in with huge momentum and things won't seem so stale.

The tricky part to balance is keeping the momentum on people like Angry Gilmore who is excellent at feuding and will be main event eventually.

I've been a broken record saying this, but there's no reason to not use main eventers vs. midcarders to main event/semi-main your TV shows. It drops your match importance to "medium," but you still have the main eventer's popularity anchoring the rating, and your psychology requirements are significantly less. I haven't played a SWF 2013 game yet, but Christian Faith vs. any midcard heel is going to do a strong rating. Don't use open match or other road agent notes, just let Faith, Bruce, and Money win matches against solid midcarders. They tend to be an easy source of B and better match grades.

I've won the first national battle and USPW have dropped down to cult status, TCW are only pulling a good match once every couple of cards..

Is anyone else scared of NOTBPW? So far they've had 100, 99, 98 and 97 as match ratings for their main or semi main events and pull off B+ and A shows easily.

I've had a look at their roster to see who I could steal, Steve DeColt seems to be the only one who would really hurt them.. Johnny Bloodstone might do okay but I can't see Duane Stone making a successful transition. McFly can't cut a good promo either.

As much as I'd love to sign Steve DeColt I'm tempted to leave their roster intact to see if they gain popularity in America and challenge me at International level.

I've been a broken record saying this, but there's no reason to not use main eventers vs. midcarders to main event/semi-main your TV shows. It drops your match importance to "medium," but you still have the main eventer's popularity anchoring the rating, and your psychology requirements are significantly less. I haven't played a SWF 2013 game yet, but Christian Faith vs. any midcard heel is going to do a strong rating. Don't use open match or other road agent notes, just let Faith, Bruce, and Money win matches against solid midcarders. They tend to be an easy source of B and better match grades.

Very much agree. I try to avoid putting all my main eventers in matches on every TV show, or doing much for main eventer versus main eventer on TV. But I definitely do use them in the ring on TV. Its tough to consistently get the B you need to stay at National without doing so.

The "reduced schedule" that Faith works now, according to his bio, makes me want to use him less heavily now. Thankfully Jack Bruce now seems to deliver in the ring much more consistently than he used to so that kinda compensates.

I've won the first national battle and USPW have dropped down to cult status, TCW are only pulling a good match once every couple of cards..

Is anyone else scared of NOTBPW? So far they've had 100, 99, 98 and 97 as match ratings for their main or semi main events and pull off B+ and A shows easily.

I've had a look at their roster to see who I could steal, Steve DeColt seems to be the only one who would really hurt them.. Johnny Bloodstone might do okay but I can't see Duane Stone making a successful transition. McFly can't cut a good promo either.

As much as I'd love to sign Steve DeColt I'm tempted to leave their roster intact to see if they gain popularity in America and challenge me at International level.

I've run a few watcher games of at least one year, and one for five years, and I don't think I've seen NOTBPW really make a push for International. I would have to check to see what their popularity is in the US but they don't seem to try to expand. They also sometimes tank hard if their top talent (all a bit older) are in decline from the start. But the days of Stone versus Stone to world dominance seem to be gone.

I've run a few watcher games of at least one year, and one for five years, and I don't think I've seen NOTBPW really make a push for International. I would have to check to see what their popularity is in the US but they don't seem to try to expand. They also sometimes tank hard if their top talent (all a bit older) are in decline from the start. But the days of Stone versus Stone to world dominance seem to be gone.

That's a shame, their A card with a A* rated match made me do a main event tag team match on TV to break my regular booking system. I felt like I had to step up my game a little. Finishing with a draw via interference and sports entertainment finish it set up a ton of angles so it wasn't a total waste.

I find it odd as the first thing I did in my NOTBPW game was sort out a better TV deal with some good US coverage and my rise was steady. Maybe the AI isn't as aggressive as me.

Very much agree. I try to avoid putting all my main eventers in matches on every TV show, or doing much for main eventer versus main eventer on TV. But I definitely do use them in the ring on TV. Its tough to consistently get the B you need to stay at National without doing so.

The "reduced schedule" that Faith works now, according to his bio, makes me want to use him less heavily now. Thankfully Jack Bruce now seems to deliver in the ring much more consistently than he used to so that kinda compensates.

Thanks for the card notes, guys. It's good food for thought.

As for Christian Faith's reduced schedule, I think at this point he's going to be stuck to angles and midcard PPV matches. That time decline is BRUTAL on the match penalty. Faith can't really be relied on to carry the ball anymore, unless he's in a match with a lot of other quality workers.

As it pertains to booking ME vs. ME on TV, I don't see any problem with it. As long as there is a reason to book such then I foresee it as good TV. To me, the most boring wrestling TV shows are the ones where you constantly know who will win; every show... every week... every month... ever year.

While I do book ME vs. ME on TV, those who win either do so in a cheating fashion (giving credence to further matches down the road) or give the win to the guy who is getting the better push (even within the Main Event).

If you constantly book ME vs. undercard then you're bound to give away what you're doing every week. Plus, those undercard workers will start to carry the stink of ALWAYS losing. You wouldn't take them seriously as a viewer & would eventually find no interest in the match they are in (Even if they are up against Faith, Remo, Frehley, etc.).

It worked in the 80's but now I feel as though you NEED to pull viewers in for a reason. While it won't hurt me in game, as I'm crushing other companies in the ratings, I does make a different to those who are reading my dynasty. Would you rather read a show with Steve Frehley vs. Rich Money, one that has a storyline around it & the outcome furthers that, or will Christian Faith vs. Marc DuBois really fill your interest?

No way is better than the other, and I see the reason for booking ME vs. Undercard all the time, but it's just as good to create a riveting show that people would be interested in watching.

I won't book one on one ME vs ME matches but I see no reason not to book tag or multiman tag ME matches, which I use liberally in my Main Event on TV shows. Sometimes I'll add an Upper Midcard guy to eat a pin or I'll do schmozz no contest finishes. which work just the same, good match and no one takes to big a hit.

So I think my problem with SWF, nay, with this game is this: I overthink things. I start booking but when I stop and think about all the things I did wrong, all the momentum I've sabotaged, I sigh deeply and delete the game and start over.

I do this at least three or four times with a given promotion. Eventually I either hit my stride or I get so burnt out on that fed, or even the game, that I try something else.

But I really WANT to run SWF! I want to avoid that paralysis that hits me when it's time to set storylines and book shows.

Maybe this is all just in my head. Like I said, I overthink things. But threads like this are helpful to me because I can see what others are doing and draw inspiration. So thanks, guys.

Any other advice you can offer for a person who just wants to play the damn game without being paralyzed with indecision? :o

I won't book one on one ME vs ME matches but I see no reason not to book tag or multiman tag ME matches, which I use liberally in my Main Event on TV shows. Sometimes I'll add an Upper Midcard guy to eat a pin or I'll do schmozz no contest finishes. which work just the same, good match and no one takes to big a hit.

I think tag matches might be the way to go, I find at the start you don't want to rock the boat too hard. In a few months you'll want to phase out Christian Faith and he'll become the punching bag, followed by Vengeance if he starts to go downhill.

Rich Money used to be my main event jobber but he's performed really well for me this year so he'll stay as he is considering the starting storyline.

The past month I've had Jack Bruce demanding Remo fights the upper midcarders to earn his title shot, he beat them all and then failed at the PPV to get his hands on the title. I try to give reason to all my main eventers fighting people below them. Usually by crossing over with other feuds, I've got a red hot Angry Gilmore VS Brendan James / Emma Chase storyline going on which got higher rating than my main event storyline at one point. This led to some tag matches where the victories went back and forth.

So I think my problem with SWF, nay, with this game is this: I overthink things. I start booking but when I stop and think about all the things I did wrong, all the momentum I've sabotaged, I sigh deeply and delete the game and start over.

I do this at least three or four times with a given promotion. Eventually I either hit my stride or I get so burnt out on that fed, or even the game, that I try something else.

But I really WANT to run SWF! I want to avoid that paralysis that hits me when it's time to set storylines and book shows.

Maybe this is all just in my head. Like I said, I overthink things. But threads like this are helpful to me because I can see what others are doing and draw inspiration. So thanks, guys.

Any other advice you can offer for a person who just wants to play the damn game without being paralyzed with indecision? :o

I usually end up like you, start a game and give up after a while. My current game has got me really engaged through the power of Microsoft Word. I'm writing it up like a diary, week by week. Write out how all the matches ago, the promos, imagine you're trying to put out a top quality diary to go on the board but don't post it. I've been completely sucked in and spend 2-3 days coming back to it for hours at a time. Then in the future if you wish to post a diary to the forums your material is already there and you won't be one of those diaries that starts and disappears after a couple of shows. I try to make everything make sense, I got Steve DeColt on loan for 1 appearance and he was simply in a dark match having a tryout.

I also like to record everything that happens in the other top promotions, their top ratings, their signings, their champions. By recording it it sticks in my head and I feel a lot more immersed in the world.

Archived