Emerald Pro Wrestling: Devine Intervention

Thursday Week 3 October 2012

Jacob's apartment, Toronto

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/Jettsapartment_zps49f0f1ed.jpg

“So….what did you do this time?”

This wasn’t the first time I’d crashed on Jacob’s couch. In fact, Jacob often joked that his couch had Devine shaped grooves in them.

“We had a fight.”

“What, you two love birds? Never!”

Jacob’s sarcasm never grew old…or amusing.

“Look…it’s serious this time”

“As opposed to time #151 when you got drunk and insulted her mother? Or time #458 when you were giving that stripper a ride home?”

“Worse than time #670 when you had to hide those two fans in the trunk of your car, but not as bad as time #200,111 when Alanis’ cat died because I fed it spicy pizza.”

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

“Never mind, all that…how long you on the couch for? I’m working a show in a few days, but you’re welcome to stay D.”

“It’ll just be a night…got Born In The USA! in Orlando-“

“Ah, how are ‘the big leagues?’”

“Honestly J? It’s awful. When I left 4C I thought they’d see that I’d made a commitment to USPW and push me. They overlook me every time…it’s just a company full of hosses. It’s too hot down in Florida too, I’m from Seattle you know? I like rain.”

“Well, I warned you.”

Not on the day I signed with USPW. After I’d signed, yeah several times.

“It’s bringing me down J. All I do these days is fight with Alanis and bust a gut carrying other guys to decent matches. I’m tired of it, to be honest.”

“Well, I get it. I have an early start tomorrow so I’m gonna hit the sack. Before I let you check into Hotel Couch, I wanna ask you something. Are you happy?”

Yeah, I travel across North America to sleep on your couch because life’s great at home.

“No.”

“Well, why don’t you change things? You’ve been complaining about Seduction, USPW and Florida for years now. Me and the couch have heard all the same problems a thousand times before. “I think Seduction wants to leave me…Jim Force is stiffing me…I can’t hide the sweat patches-“

“-I get it Jacob, you want me to think of a solution and turn my life around?”

“No, the couch wants that. I just want you to be happy. Night.”

The couch had a point. I’d been complaining about the same damn things for too long now…

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday Week 3 October 2012

Jacob's apartment, Toronto

When I woke the next day, J had gone shopping with Katie. It gave me time to think. I had three problems – I needed to face them head on, maybe develop a plan. I was going to be 30 next year, did I still want to be stuck in the same rut for the next five, ten years? It was plan time.

I stole some paper from J’s ‘office’ (it’s only an office if you actually do work in it) and made my list.

Darryl's list of things to do before thirty

Alanis - stop being an idiot. Stop stupid arguments. Settle down...if she forgives me?

USPW - quit. Work for a company better suited/more appreciative of me.

Florida - leave. Move back to Seattle, or at least somewhere a bit colder.

With the list done it was time to go. I said goodbye to the couch – the new Darryl wasn’t going to be sleeping on it anymore – and left Jacob a note thanking him for his hospitality and advice.

Then I headed home to face my problems…

Saturday Week 3 October 2012

Darryl and Alanis' apartment, Orlando

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DevinesOrlandoapartment_zpsdd4903bd.jpg

When I got back home, Alanis was waiting for me. She’d missed me, but hadn’t yet forgiven me.

“Sorry, I didn’t ring you, I’ve been at-“

“-Jacob’s. He rang me yesterday, let me know you were staying the night.”

Things like that are the reason they call Jacob Jett ‘Amazing’.

I remembered the list. Time to put it into action.

“Alanis, I’m sorry about the other night, I hadn’t realised that it was the anniversary of Snowy’s death and-“

“Are you reading an apology off a piece of paper?”

“No…it’s my life plan.”

“You have a life plan? Normally, you just cause chaos and let everyone else sort it out.”

I deserved that.

“J made me realise how unhappy I am with my life.”

“So you’re unhappy with me?”

“No…you’re the one thing that makes me happy. I’m fed up with USPW and this state, I just keep taking it out on you.”

Alanis took the list off me and read it through. Then she smiled.

“I had kinda guessed something was bothering you. I was worried you were tired of me-“

“Never.”

“I know, I know. So if you’re unhappy, what are you going to do?”

“I’ve got a plan. I’m going to get something to eat and some sleep. I’ll fill you in tomorrow on the way to the show.”

Saturday Week 3 October 2012

Backstage at USPW Born In The USA!, Orlando

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/USPW_BornInTheUSA_zpsb258eb0e.jpg

USPW catering wasn’t a fun place to be stuck in. Normally, I’d just grab some pasta and avoid Valentine and Redwood. However, today I wanted to speak with Sam Strong.

When I say Sam Strong, I meant Shane Sneer; Strong only really spoke to the big names. Champion, Enygma, Baine. Scrubs like me dealt with Shane. So I ate my pasta in record time and pulled Shane aside.

I liked Shane in spite of his lies. He meant well, but he always seemed to be stalling me. As booker he had me in a holding pattern – work hard, take a step forward; Hire new hoss, take two steps back. My recent face turn had felt like a hundred steps back and was the final straw as far as I was concerned.

“…so that’s my notice Shane. I’ll work any shows you need me until the notice period is up.”

Shane, to his credit, didn’t bulls**t me this time.

“I think it’s the right decision. You’re a good wrestler but this isn’t a wrestling company any more. We’re a family entertainment company now and those families want superheroes and monsters.”

“Thanks for understanding. I agree with what you’ve said. I’m a wrestler, not a cartoon character.”

“Maybe NYCW would be a good fit for you? I can contact Larry, put a word in?”

“No thanks Shane, I’ve got other plans.”

“What about Alanis?”

“She wants to hand in her notice too. I’m moving back to Seattle and she’s coming with me”

“Ok, fine…look I have to go find Sam in ten minutes to go over the running order, so lets make this quick. 90 day no compete clause for both of you-“

“Not necessary. We’ve no interest in working for SWF or TCW.”

“What about NOTBPW? CGC?”

“Not interested. As I said, we’re moving to Seattle. You have my word.”

“Fine…sign this and get Alanis to sign it too so I can get the office to deal with the paperwork. What’s so good about Seattle anyway? What’s there apart from rain and Microsoft?”

“My future is there Shane. Thanks for everything.”

“No problem, hope you find what you’re looking for. Now, I need to find Sam before Valentine talks him into a world title push…”

Monday Week 1 November 2012

Seattle

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Seattle_zps873246db.jpg

Seattle. Rainy, cloudy, cold and wet. I loved it. I spent the first few days hanging with my brother and his friends before Alanis called me on it.

“Look Darryl, it’s great seeing Mike again but there must be a reason we came to Seattle.”

Actually, there were two reasons we came to Seattle. I wanted to settle down with Alanis and start my own wrestling company in Seattle. Figured I’d have some fun first though.

Monday Week 1 December 2012

Seattle

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/JustMarried_zps250fa411.jpg

First thing I did was propose. No big romantic story, I just asked Alanis and she said yes. Got married straight away – no point hanging around when you know what you want. After a quick honeymoon in Las Vegas , we got a place and began to plan the rest of our lives.

I told Alanis about my plan to form my own wrestling company while we were in Vegas - she wanted in. She saw it as a long term investment, plus she didn’t trust me with the money (every house needs two jukeboxes, right?) We agreed that she would be the owner (handling all the potential jukebox money) and I would book.

Alanis and I wanted to go back to traditional wrestling, but to add more personality. Most traditional companies had good matches but lacked characters who drew you in. Why couldn’t they have both?

‘Alternative Traditional’

Traditional – Key Feature

Mainstream – Heavy

Realism – Medium

Cult – Low

Modern – Low

Hardcore – Low

Pure – Low

Daredevil - Low

As for the name and logo, I wanted something more exciting than ‘Seattle Pro Wrestling’. Bearing in mind Seattle is known as ‘Emerald City’, I came up with Emerald Pro Wrestling. J designed our logo, I reckon it's pretty good.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWlogo_zps0c41e181.jpg

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">Thursday Week 3 December 2012</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

Seattle</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">We had set up most of what we needed for EPW – I had scouted the majority of the guys I wanted on our roster and Alanis had dealt with the legal stuff. It was going well, but I knew we needed a USP. There were lots of regional companies in the US and we needed something to set ourselves apart. While working out my last contracted dates for USPW, I was discussing the COTT promotional alliance with Shane Sneer and a light bulb went off in my head.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

If we could join that alliance, we would gain access to some great talent, as well as support and advice from some great minds. There was just one little thing I hadn’t considered though – Larry Vessey being a prick. Larry rejected our application to join the COTT because we were a new company. I was furious until Alanis had a brainwave.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em><span style="color:#9932CC;">“Why don’t we form our own alliance? Do we really need them?”</span></em></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

She was right – I had some contacts and it was worth checking with them to see if they wanted to work together. I retreated to my office (I work in mine, so I can call it that) and prepared for some networking.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

After five hours of calls and some doughnuts, FCW, PSW and RIPW had agreed, in principle, to work with EPW.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

After twelve hours, an epic e-mail chain and a BBQ pizza later, we had become an international alliance –CILL, EMLL, APW and ZEN had signed up.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

The International Wrestling Alliance was born…</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/IWA_zpse2fa530a.jpg</span></p>

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">Friday Week 4 December 2012</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';"> Seattle</span></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">A good Christmas - spent time with my family (first time in years) and hired all of EPW's initial roster.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Here's the roster - I think I've done well. Maybe a bit unbalanced, but I can fix that later.</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35120" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Faces</strong></span><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Darryl Devine</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Hugh De Aske</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Jacob Jett</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong> </strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Team Relentless</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Johnny Heizenger</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Western Alliance</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">KC Glenn</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Team Relentless</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Nigel Svensson </span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Western Alliance</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Thomas Morgan</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35120" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Heels</strong></span><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Alvin Starr</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em>(used to be called Tennessee William)</em></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em> </em></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Dazzling Dave Diamond</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Fumihiro Ota</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">George Wolfe </span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Iron Will</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Irwin Gutmann </span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of Iron Will</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Marvel Malloy</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of American Cobras</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Rhino Umaga</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Storm Spillane </span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em>Part of American Cobras</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">The Architect</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35120" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Non wrestlers</strong></span><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Alanis Devine (Owner, Manager of Darryl Devine)</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Brett Graveson (Referee)</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Carl Batch (Manager of Rhino Umaga and American Cobras)</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Katie Cameron (Manager of Team Relentless)</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Tony Marsh (Announcer)</span></span></p></div></blockquote><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">Alanis asked me to try and save as much money as possible when hiring the roster. So I didn't hire a road agent or colour commentator. I'll get some guys to pull double duty - Carl and Dave Diamond can work colour, while Ota can help put the matches together.</span></p>

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">Sunday Week 4 December 2012</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';"> Seattle</span></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">New Year's Eve! The show was booked and we were ready to go. Not sure why Shane always complained booking was so difficult, thought it was pretty easy myself. Then again, guess I don't have to deal with Giant Redwood and his crap. Alanis wasn't too happy though</span>...</p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">"Are you actually going to tell me the card so I arrange for the press release?</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"Sure, here it is..."</span></span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35120" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong><span style="font-size:12px;">EPW Uprising</span></strong></span><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> For the vacant EPW Intercontinental Title</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Darryl Devine</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> vs </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Fumihiro Ota</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> vs </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Hugh De Aske</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> For the vacant EPW Pacific Title</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Rhino Umaga w/ Carl Batch</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> vs </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Thomas Morgan</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> For the vacant EPW US Tag Team Titles</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Amercian Cobras w/ Carl Batch</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> vs </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Team Relentless w/ Katie Cameron</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em>Dark match</em></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">Western Alliance</span></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> vs </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#9932CC;">Iron Will</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p></div></blockquote>

EPW Uprising

For the vacant EPW Intercontinental Title

Darryl Devine vs Fumihiro Ota

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs Hugh De Aske

For the vacant EPW Pacific Title

Rhino Umaga w/ Carl Batch vs Thomas Morgan

For the vacant EPW US Tag Team Titles

Amercian Cobras w/ Carl Batch vs Team Relentless w/ Katie Cameron

Dark match

Western Alliance vs Iron Will

<p>EPW Uprising</p><p> </p><p>

For the vacant EPW Intercontinental Title</p><p>

<strong>Darryl Devine</strong> vs Fumihiro Ota -DD is so arrogant he wouldn't job this one.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith</strong> vs Hugh De Aske - BBS needs more careful booking. De Aske can get over on great ringwork, Smith needs a decent win-loss record.</p><p> </p><p>

For the vacant EPW Pacific Title</p><p>

<strong>Rhino Umaga w/ Carl Batch </strong>vs Thomas Morgan - I always find it hard to make face champions interesting - as I've guessed DD to win, can't see you having two.</p><p> </p><p>

For the vacant EPW US Tag Team Titles</p><p>

<strong>Amercian Cobras</strong> w/ Carl Batch vs Team Relentless w/ Katie Cameron - this could be a decent feud - I'd guess Batch interfering to get the cheap win for his guys makes the most sense.</p><p> </p><p>

Dark match</p><p>

<strong>Western Alliance</strong> vs Iron Will - two of my very favourite CVerse guys, no way I can back against them.</p>

Thursday Week 3 January 2013

Portland Center

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/PortlandCenter_zps185f3b18.jpg

Showtime. I was really nervous – not only was I in the main event, but I had put the entire show together. If anything went wrong, it would be my fault….

Jacob interrupted my self doubt, slapping me on the back.

“You better come quick…Gutmann started a fight with Morgan.”

“Idiot! No one was hurt, right?”

“Nah, me, Wolfie and Hugh broke it up.”

“Thanks J. I better go have a word with Irwin.”

So, my first night as booker, my first warning to a member of my roster. Maybe Shane had a point….

EPW Uprising

The Portland Center (North West)

Att 1,000 (Sell Out) Thursday Week 3 January 2013

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/GeorgeWolfe_zps598daa33.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/IrwinGutmann_zps11907a0d.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/NigelSvensson_zps12314166.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Ant-Man_zpsb730e5a3.jpg

Dark Match – Iron Will vs Western Alliance

These two new teams begin the first ever Emerald Pro Wrestling event. Simply put, Iron Will struggled as a team, the Western Alliance flourished. Svensson wins it for Western Alliance when he reverses a Gutmann uranage into the Hyper Extension Armlock.

Winner– Western Alliance@ 8:05 (E+)

Uprising opens with Bulldozer Brandon Smith making his way down to the ring, mic already in hand.

Smith: “I hate this city! Does it ever stop raining? Surprised Noah ain’t gone past in the ark yet! It wouldn’t be so bad if all the women here weren’t so ugly-“

Hugh De Aske makes his entrance! Bulldozer’s opponent for tonight strolls down the aisle, taking in the crowd’s cheers.

De Aske: “You got the arrogance to come out here and run your mouth about this fine city? You complain about the rain, lets be honest, you’re just scared of having a wash aren’t you?. Ugly women? You blind, stinky? Or did you just catch your own reflection in the cake shop window?”

The crowd laughs, much to Smith’s annoyance.

Smith: “Don’t you dare insult me!!! And who the hell are ya, ya little punk?

De Aske: "I’m the Belgian rebel, the man with no name…Hugh De Aske!”

Smith: “Well, Hugh de Ass, ya got two choices. One, keep backchatting me and I’ll break your face. Two, get out my face and I’ll let ya live until our match later.”

De Aske: “You talk big, Smith, but later tonight, only choice you’ll have is to be beaten."

As Bulldozer looks to take De Aske up on his fighting talk, EPW officials and road crew come to ringside and separate the two men before matters get out of hand. (D)

Next, Carl Batch and The American Cobras are on the stage to be interviewed.

Batch: “Dig this cats – the American Cobras, the finest tag team in the United States today are in town challenging for EPW Tag gold. Players got the skills to pay the bills, you read me-?"

Malloy: “-Damn straight Carly. Now-“

Batch grabs the mic from Malloy.

Batch: “What have I told you about calling me Carly? (Cuts off Malloy) Don’tcha dare do it or I’ll have you deported, dumbass!”

Malloy: (confused) But -but I’m American?

Batch: Didn’t stop me last time someone pissed me off. Why do ya think I was looking for a new team?

Spillane: (calmly to Malloy) “Come on, we’ve a match to win, lets go warm up” (E)

Katie Cameron cuts a promo for Team Relentless

Katie: I’ve put together a team of two of the most gifted athletes in pro wrestling today. KC Glenn. Jacob Jett. These men have it all. Speed. Agility. Technical skill. The Cobras may have promise and potential, but we have championship ability now.

And Batch? I’m watching you like a hawk. I know you’d sell your own mother for those titles and I won’t let you cheat us out of the gold.” (F+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/MarvelMalloy_zps65c173e5.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/StormSpillane_zpsc4a349cb.jpg w/ http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/JacobJett_zps372a087a.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/KCGlenn_zpsc15c071e.jpg w/ http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/KatieCameron_zps40ae8b9d.jpg

EPW US Tag Titles American Cobras w/ Carl Batch vs Team Relentless w/ Katie Cameron

The American Cobras struggle with the pace of Team Relentless – Malloy and Spillane aren’t slouches, but Jett and Glenn are rapid, utilizing quick double teams to keep the Cobras down.

Luckily for them, they have Carl Batch, one of the quickest cheats in wrestling, on their side. Distracting Katie and Ref Graveson from the action, Batch then trips Jett, allowing Malloy and Spillane to hit the Cobra Strike (Combination leg sweep/spin kick). With Jett dazed, Spillane applies his Kneeling Boston Crab for the submission victory.

Winners and new EPW US Tag Champions – American Cobras @ 9:44 (D)

Fresh off helping the American Cobras to a title win, Batch is out with his other client Rhino Umaga. While Batch was demeaning to the Cobras, he’s keeping his distance from Rhino Umaga…

Batch: “Now, Morgan I don’t hate you…yet. So consider this a friendly warning – Rhino Umaga is a wrecking machine, a monster, a sadistic, evil creature that would break every bone in your body to wear the EPW Pacific Title. Hell, he’s already broke two of my damn fingers cos I tried to help hire a rental car! So, get on the train, bus or steal a car and go back to whatever backwater you’re from son, before Rhino Umaga ensures that you’re buried there!” (E-)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/RhinoUmaga_zps830f7fc7.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/ThomasMorgan_zps4bda8adf.jpg

EPW Pacific Title Rhino Umaga w/Carl Batch vs Thomas Morgan

Morgan is out of his depth here – the veteran is a clever wrestler, but intelligence isn’t much use against a powerful Samoan. Rhino Umaga is all over Morgan from the opening bell, with Batch distracting Referee Graveson every time Morgan manages to mount any offense. Morgan eventually dodges a clothesline and responds with a Russian legsweep. As he tries to hook in the STF, Alvin Starr runs down to ringside and trips Morgan! Graveson intervenes, unfortunately all he does is allow Rhino a chance to recover. Rhino Charge to a distracted Morgan for 3.

Winner and new EPW Pacific Champion Rhino Umaga @ 8:03 (D)

As Morgan is helped to his feet, Alvin Starr takes a mic;

Starr: (over the booing crowd) “Thank you for the warm welcome! Nah, what I saw from this here Tommy Morgan didn’t glitter, you know what I’m saying? The Starr ain’t seen no rock n roll from this guy so why should he be the champ? Even an ugly crowd like you deserve a prettier champ, know what I mean? (crowd boos more) Thank you for your support, you’ve been a wonderful audience!” (E)

Alanis and Darryl Devine are in the back to hype up the title match

Darryl: "This is it – finally my chance to break out on my own and prove myself to the fans and the wrestling world. In the past, I’ve not applied myself, I’ve let myself down but not anymore. I’m going to win the EPW Intercontinental Title Ota, you’re one of the best out there today but you’re just going to be a footnote in my history."

Alanis: "Ota is a quality opponent, we’re certainly not taking him lightly. However, if he takes Darryl lightly he’ll pay. I haven’t seen this sort of hunger from Darryl in years, he’s desperate to prove himself to the world-“

Darryl: “-and I plan on succeeding. End of interview.” (D+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/BulldozerBrandon_alt4_zps6a26e4be.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/HughdeAske_zps8757ac55.jpg

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs Hugh De Aske

Bulldozer hasn’t faced an opponent like De Aske before – his combination of speed and technical ability make him a tricky foe to stop. Bulldozer is able to slow him down with a side slam, but De Aske comes back with a head scissors and heads to the top turnbuckle.

Bulldozer recovers and is able to crotch de Aske. He then beats down the Belgian, only to walk into an enziguri. De Aske heads to the top rope again, however Bulldozer rolls through his cross body dive, hooking the tights for three.

Winner – Bulldozer Brandon Smith @15:41 (D-)

As Ota walks through the shadows, ready for the main event, he elects to speak to the fans

“I do not care for the challenge of Darryl Devine. His character is weak. To beat a Ninja Master, you must be strong in determination. I am determined to win the title tonight and refuse to accept failure. Unlike Devine, who has been given advantage after advantage, I’ve been given no help, nor do I need it. So, Devine bring your best. Be warned, once your determination dwindles, the darkness of the ninja will take over you…” (C-)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DarrylDevine_zps45256d7c.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Seduction2_zps92043d3d.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/FumihiroOta_zps9fce4a92.jpg

EPW Intercontinental Title Darryl Devine w/ Alanis Devine vs Fumihiro Ota

Despite the crowd anticipation, this match struggles to start and doesn’t really pick up. Devine starts well, with big strikes but Ota manages to throw powder in his eyes . Subdued, Devine staggers blindly; he’s vulnerable to Ota’s assault, an assault that focuses on his ribs. It’s Ota’s masterplan – take Devine’s will to fight away then finish him with the Ninja Strike (Running Enziguri).

After a thrust kick to the small of Devine’s back, Ota attempts the Ninja Strike. Devine ducks the kick and uses his last burst of energy to plant the ninja face first with the Devine Dream Drop (Cutter). Ota manages to raise his shoulder…just after the three count!

Winner and new EPW Intercontinental Champion Darryl Devine @22:48 D

With the EPW Intercontinental title in his hands, Devine celebrates with Alanis. Favouring his ribs, he shakes the fan’s hands, never once taking his eyes off Ota. The ninja retreats to the back, angry at his defeat D-

Overall Rating D

Darryl’s post show notes

• Iron Will had no chemistry as a team at all. So show one, one tag team down. Good start.
  • KC Glenn is a shy southern boy no doubt about it, his lack of chemistry with Katie was obvious. Guess he’ll have to be the strong silent type.
  • Me and Alanis don’t work as a team anymore. Maybe it’s cos we’re faces, maybe it’s because everyone knows we’re married and running the show. Me and Ota had awful chemistry too, nothing clicked out there tonight. I think retirement is playing on his mind, while I’ve been distracted by booking and arranging the talent.

So that's the first show - any feedback on presentation and writing would be appreciated!

Predictions

Jaded - 5/5 = Good predictions, even got the finish of American Cobras v Team Relentless right!

Tiberious4 - 3/5 = Got the tag team matches wrong, though Iron Will only lost because of Gutmann's backstage fight so unlucky on that one.

As Jaded won, he can ask any member of the roster a question if he wants.

So that's the first show - any feedback on presentation and writing would be appreciated!

As Jaded won, he can ask any member of the roster a question if he wants.

I really enjoyed that - nicely laid out, well written, and great booking, of course!

Question for Alanis Devine: Other than your husband, who do you think the best looking member of the EPW roster is?

I really enjoyed that - nicely laid out, well written, and great booking, of course!

Thanks for the positive feedback - I was worried about the presentation so you've put my mind at ease.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Seduction2_zps92043d3d.jpg

‘Other than your husband, who do you think the best looking member of the EPW roster is?’

“Are you trying to get me in trouble? (laughs) Well, apart from my fantastic husband I would have to say…Alvin Starr I guess. I’m a huge Elvis fan and he does have a little of The King’s charm…”

Tuesday Week 1 February 2013

Seattle

I thought we had made a good start with Uprising. Granted, we hit a few speedbumps and, according to TEWdotcom, came last in the North West regional battle. I was confident that I could fix the problems.

Firstly, I spoke to Alanis – I didn’t think that she worked as my manager; I was capable of speaking for myself. However, I thought she would make an excellent authority figure. As she was the real life owner of the company, it made sense too.

Secondly, I decided to break up Iron Will – the lack of chemistry and Gutmann’s attitude problems suggested there wasn’t much of a future for them. I also decided that KC Glenn was better off without a manager; Katie would just represent J for now.

Our next card was booked for Sunday Week 2 February 2013…

EPW No Love Lost

EPW Intercontinental Title Darryl Devine © vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith

Fumihiro Ota vs Hugh De Aske

Alvin Starr vs Thomas Morgan

Jacob Jett w/ Katie Cameron vs Marvel Malloy w/ Carl Batch

KC Glenn vs Storm Spillane w/ Carl Batch

Dark Matches

The Western Alliance vs George Wolfe and The Architect

Predictions always welcome, again winner gets to ask any member of the roster a question.

EPW No Love Lost

The Portland Center (North West)

Att 1,000 (Sell Out) Sunday Week 2 February 2013

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Ant-Man_zpsb730e5a3.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/NigelSvensson_zps12314166.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/GeorgeWolfe_zps598daa33.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/TheArchitect_zpsac44af88.jpg

Dark Match - Western Alliance vs George Wolfe and The Architect

Can Wolfe fair better against Western Alliance with a different partner? A good attempt, but Architect and Wolfe fall short. The finish sees Heizenger scoop The Architect up and plant him with the Antidote (Death Valley Driver) for the victory.

Winner – The Western Alliance @ 7:32 (E+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/JacobJett_zps372a087a.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/KatieCameron_zps40ae8b9d.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/MarvelMalloy_zps65c173e5.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg

Jacob Jett w/ Katie Cameron vs Marvel Malloy w/ Carl Batch

A highflying match up, with Jett firmly in control. Mallroy tries to keep up, but is defeated when Jett counters a hurricanrana with the Jett Take Off (Roll Through Powerbomb)

Winner – Jacob Jett @8:23 (D-)

As Katie and Jett celebrate, Rhino Umaga runs into the ring! Rhino spears Jett, then chokes him! (E+)

Bulldozer Brandon Smith makes his way down to the ring and demands a microphone.

Smith: “So Devine, I got a title match with you…and your wife”

Naturally, this brings Devine to the ring.

Darryl: “What’s my wife got to do with it asshole?”

Smith: “Well, she’s the real boss isn’t she? So when I beat you tonight, I might not get the title…(mocking tone) she might not want her little precious Darryl to be all sad when the big bad Bulldozer…(aggressive, in Darryl’s face) kicks his ass all over this s**thole!”

Darryl: “I can fight my own battles Smith. Only person who’s going to be sad tonight is you after I beat your fat ass.”

The crowd roars at this. Smith is furious.

Smith: “What you say to me boy?”

Darryl: “All that fat blocking your ears? (OTT) YOU. WILL LOSE. YOU.NEED. TO.GO.ON.A.DIET.”

Smith swings for Devine, who ducks. Devine considers the Dream Drop, but is cut off by Alanis.

Alanis: “Ok boys, enough with the macho behaviour. You’re both right. Brandon – I run this show so I’ll be watching this match carefully to ensure we get a fair fight. Darryl – well, I speak from experience, you can certainly fight your own battles and that’s what you’ll be doing tonight.” Now, both of you get out of the ring as you’re holding this show up.”

Both men quietly leave the ring, without taking their eyes off the other. (D+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/KCGlenn_zpsc15c071e.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/StormSpillane_zpsc4a349cb.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg

KC Glenn vs Storm Spillane w/ Carl Batch

A technical match between two evenly matched combatants. Glenn is able to Tune Up The Sunshine Band after slipping out of a back suplex.

Winner – KC Glenn @ 7:42 (D)

Ota heads to the ring. Despite his mask, his snarl is visible to all – clearly he is still angry about his loss the previous month.

Ota: "What you saw last month was a fluke, an aberration. Devine, you were lucky to beat me for the EPW Intercontinental Title. I left you a beaten, winded mess. That title rightly belongs to me. Bring it to me and present it, or I will find and break you…"

Someone comes down the ramp…however it’s not Darryl Devine. It’s Hugh de Aske!

De Aske: “Well, well well what do we have here? Sour grapes Shinobi?”

Ota: (confused) “I do not understand…who are you and why are you here?”

De Aske: “I am the Wild Man of Brussels, the Iron Cowboy…Hugh de Aske! Why am I here? Because I am sick of your complaining! No one has any right to win a title, you have to earn it! Apart from me…a rebel like me just takes what I want!”

Ota: (irritated) “What are you rebelling against?”

De Aske: “My pirate background. (Ota gasps and steps back) Don’t worry Shinobi, I have rejected the ways of the pirate – no one pigeonholes me, Hugh de Aske. People tried to push it on me (mocking tone) “Where’s the parrot Hugh?” (Determined) I just tell them to shove their parrot up their-“

Ota: (angry) “Enough. Since Devine will not face me then, you will have to make do. Be warned Devine, once the pirate has been destroyed you will be next.” (D+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/FumihiroOta_zps9fce4a92.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/HughdeAske_zps8757ac55.jpg

Fumihiro Ota vs Hugh De Aske

The crowd is excited by the contrast of styles – the methodical Ota vs the reckless de Aske. Ota controls the opening of the match, cutting de Aske off and working the lower back of the Belgian Rebel.

Eventually, the fiery de Aske turns the tide, hitting Ota with a cross body . Ota fights back but discounts de Aske’s willingness to take risks – a plancha to ringside wipes out both wrestlers and some of the ring crew. De Aske capitalises on the chaos – Cut Throat Driver (Bodyslam Driver) to Ota for the upset!

Winner – Hugh de Aske @ 19:41 (D+)

As de Aske celebrates the biggest win of his career, Dazzling Dave Diamond leaves the announce table and slides into the ring. de Aske turns around…straight into a Dazzle Driver! (E)

Alanis comes out to speak to the crowd. As she raises the mic to her mouth, she is cut off by the strumming of a (slightly out of tune) guitar. Then singing….

“Her husband is known as ‘Mighty Fine, I just wish she were mine. He may be handsome and kind, but I can’t get her out of my mind”

Alanis is shocked – Alvin Starr is serenading her!

Starr: “Hey baby, heard you thought I were most handsome wrestler in the world, just wanna let you know that the Starr would love to take you dancing-“

Alanis: (stunned) “That wasn’t the question…did you not read the…are those flowers?”

Starr: “Yeah baby (quickly takes price tag off) No expense spared. Thank you very much!”

Alanis: (trying to be gentle) ”Look…as I said I find you very…unique, but I’m happily married to Darryl-“

Starr: “-Takes a real rogue to cage such a pretty bird, madam”

Alanis: (losing patience) "Look….I’m married. I love my husband. I appreciate the attention Alvin…but it’s not going to happen."

Starr: (slowly) “So…I’ll pick you up tomorrow at eight?

The crowd erupts – Darryl Devine is sneaking down the ramp, behind the unsuspecting Starr! Alanis sees him and acts quickly…

Alanis: “Anyway Alvin your match is next – Get Morgan out here!”

And with that instruction, Alanis grabs Darryl and drags him to the back before things get out of hand. (D)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/TennesseeWilliam_zpsf77c6863.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/ThomasMorgan_zps4bda8adf.jpg

Alvin Starr vs Thomas Morgan

Morgan dominates – he’s the better wrestler and Starr is still focused on Alanis. Starr has a trick up his sleeve though….if by ‘trick’ you mean brass knuckles. He quickly distracts Ref Graveson, then rocks the unsuspecting Morgan with the knuckles. As Ref Graveson turns his attention back to the match, Starr hooks a stunned Morgan into an STF – his own finisher! Morgan, bleeding from the mouth, has no choice but to tap…

Winner - Alvin Starr @7:43 (E+)

DDD stands up at the announce table, mic in hand

DDD: “So…why did I do it? Why did I embarrass Hugh de Aske after the biggest victory of his career? Simple…it should have been me…

Don’t understand? I’ll say it slowly for all you Portland idiots (crowd boos) I’m the most talented man on the roster. I’m beautiful. I’m exciting. I’m…stuck doing commentary with this basement dwelling virgin? (Tony Marsh glares at DDD) I should be fightin’ the big names de Aske, not discussin’ them. So, I’ve made my statement. You wanna be a big star, you gotta go through the Diamond first. Believe me, you got no chance! (D)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DarrylDevine_zps45256d7c.jpg V http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/BulldozerBrandon_alt5_zpsa4a9dddd.jpg

EPW Intercontinental Title Darryl Devine © vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith

Both men come out swinging, much to the fans’ delight. Smith wins and uses his size to wear down Devine. However, USPW taught Devine how to wrestle much bigger men and he soaks up the abuse, using his speed to get his shots in.

Smith attempts the Backdrop Driver, but Devine is able to squirm away. Devine Dream Drop! No, Smith pushes Devine away, straight into Ref Graveson! Devine rebounds into Bulldozer’s Inverted Piledriver, can Smith win the title? Graveson signals for the bell – he’s disqualifying Smith for the push!

Winner – Darryl Devine @ 22:59 (C-)

Overall Rating D+

Tuesday Week 1 March 2013

Seattle

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DevinesSeattleHome_zps30a0c4aa.jpg

It had been a stressful few weeks for me and EPW. While No Love Lost had been a better show than Uprising and we had made a good profit for a Small company (TEWdotcom classification), we had come last again in the North West regional battle.

Worse still Ota had left - we had only signed him for two appearances, so when we had an awkward match at Uprising there seemed little point resigning him. While a good hand, Ota was 38, pondering retirement and his cruiserweight style didn't really fit into our company (OOC - owner goal; no hiring cruiserweights). I had him put de Aske over, which enraged Ota - but it was the only sensible thing to do. Rule #1 of booking = departing wrestler puts over a up and comer on the way out.

So I was a little stressed...then me and Alanis got a wedding present from ReapeR Title Designs

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWIntercontinental_zps32be13ff.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWPacific_zps5ff1081c.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWUSTagTeam_zps7c63eadd.jpg

It was the inspiration I needed...I made a quick call to the IWA (fine, Alanis' sister) to arrange a big name challenger for our next card and proceeded to plan the best show I could...

EPW Jet City Rumble 1 Thursday Week 3, March 2013

EPW Intercontinental Title Darryl Devine © v Greg Black (PSW)

Jet City Rumble - 10 Man Battle Royale

*Winner receives EPW Intercontinental Title match at EPW In Bloom (April 2013)*

Alvin Star v Bulldozer Brandon Smith v Dazzling Dave Diamond v George Wolfe v Johnny Heizenger v ??? v ??? v Nigel Svensson v The Architect v Thomas Morgan

EPW Pacific Title Rhino Umaga © w/ Carl Batch vs Hugh de Aske

EPW US Tag Titles American Cobras © w/ Carl Batch vs Team Relentless

Archived