Emerald Pro Wrestling: Devine Intervention

Saturday Week 3 May 2013

Seattle

“It wasn’t the best show, was it?”

Alanis was right…I’d had an off night in the ring, Gutmann had been pissing people off again…Headstrong hadn’t quite lived up to our past few shows. I was determined to get EPW firing on all cylinders again.

“I have a great card lined up for Seattle Showdown honey…it’ll be our first show in Seattle too."

“Is the purchase ready?”

“Completed yesterday…just gotta pick up the keys on Monday...”

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday Week 4 May 2013

Don's Basement, Seattle

With the keys in my hand I stood outside EPW's new home. It may have been a dirty, abandoned hellhole...but it was our dirty, abandoned hellhole. The Portland Center had been a good venue for EPW, however me and Alanis wanted a base, a home for the company.

It had been a rock club in downtown Seattle during the heyday of grunge. However, it’s had been closed since 1996, when a drum solo went wrong, causing a riot that killed three people. The owners had shut up shop on the back of the bad publicity and the club had been abandoned.

I saw an opportunity and purchased it on the cheap. The main hall held around 2,000 people while there were offices for Alanis and myself to carry out paperwork, meet with workers, sponsors etc.

First piece of business? Take care of a few roster movements.

Thursday Week 4 May 2013

Don's Basement, Seattle

"How you settling in?"

Alanis smiled at me. I'd taken to the office like a second home, last couple of nights had been late finishes.

"Never thought I'd see you working this hard. Did you speak to Gutmann?"

"Yeah...told him he was fired-"

"How did he take it?"

"Not well. Told me I was a coward for not doing it to his face. Like I was gonna fly him up to Seattle just to fire him!"

"Maybe you could have flown to him? You must have some flyer miles from all your trips to see Jacob?"

I got the joke....I assume she was joking

"You look worried, you ok?"

"I've had a lot to deal with. Trying to sort out our line up for Seattle Showdown has been a nightmare."

"Why what's happened?"

"Well, you know when we brought the show forward because of the written contract problem?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, that bastard Vessey has scheduled NYCW's show for the same day. Bulldozer and Starr will be in New York during Seattle Showdown-"

"That means we need to amend the advertised card."

"Yeah - definately can't run me vs Starr and Bulldozer vs Mainstream."

"Damn! What do we do...about the title picture?"

"I got a plan ..don't worry about that..."

EPW Seattle Showdown 2013 Wednesday Week 1 June 2013

No1 Contender Match Darryl Devine vs Mainstream Hernandez

EPW Pacific Title Rhino Umaga © w/Carl Batch vs Kirk Jameson

Hugh de Aske vs Dazzling Dave Diamond

EPW US Tag Titles American Cobras © w/Carl Batch vs Western Alliance

Jacob Jett vs George Wolfe

Dark Match -Thomas Morgan vs The Architect

EPW Seattle Showdown 2013 Wednesday Week 1 June 2013

- Maybe a quick stop from SubPop at the show?

- Going against the likely booking because it's Devine's promotion, he can be anywhere he wants on the card, plus he must have a rematch clause he's the owner after all. This offers up more opportunities at the top. never a bad thing.

- There's a Pacific Title? Did Umaga find it while visiting Samoa? Ah well, give the big beastie a win here. Too soon for Irish Whiskey Jameson to hoist a belt.

- The Dread Pirate Hugh topples the tribute to Van Halen's greatest frontman. This is not Just like Paradise at all.

- Title change! I have no idea why. Mostly because in most diaries I.Am.Cobra are.jobbers.

- Silly Wolfe, your offer of a rocking chair does not trump the Super-Sonic Sofa.

- Space Needle Splash/Plunge/Stab for the win!

And even in TEW2013 my predications refuse to make sense to anyone but my own twisted sense of humour.

Glad you're enjoying Reid - apologies for the delay on show 2, hoping to have it out tonight or tomorrow!

Mainstream Hernandez and Darryl Devine vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Dazzling Dave Diamond

KC Glenn vs Alvin Starr

Kirk Jameson and Western Alliance vs Rhino Umaga and American Cobras w/Carl Batch

Hugh de Aske vs George Wolfe

Jacob Jett vs The Architect

Dark Match - Thomas Morgan vs Irwin Gutmann

Glad you're enjoying Reid - apologies for the delay on show 2, hoping to have it out tonight or tomorrow!

Mainstream Hernandez and Darryl Devine vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Dazzling Dave Diamond

KC Glenn vs Alvin Starr

Kirk Jameson and Western Alliance vs Rhino Umaga and American Cobras w/Carl Batch

Hugh de Aske vs George Wolfe

Jacob Jett vs The Architect

Dark Match - Thomas Morgan vs Irwin Gutmann

Looking forward to show 2 - writing and presentation has been fantastic so far.

Thanks for the picks, but they're for the previous card...unless you want me to run it again? :-)

Haven't followed this in a while (work sched, health reasons, etc.), but as a fan of the Seattle music scene and Darryl Devine, I shall resume watching. :D

Seattle Showdown 2013

Don’s Basement (Northwest)

Att 1,049 Wednesday Week 1 June 2013

Pre Show DVD extras

Propped against a vending machine, Hugh de Aske removes his sunglasses and speaks into the mic

De Aske: “DDD…tonight I finally get you in the ring, Tonight, I finally get a chance to prove I’m ‘main event’ to you. This isn’t about me proving it to you though – your opinion means nothing to me! I’m going to prove to these great fans that The Deadly Effect, The Low Country Squire…Hugh de Aske belongs with the big names in this company!” (E+)

Backstage, at the EPW interview point is Rhino Umaga and a very nervous Carl Batch

Batch: “You had to do it, didn’t you Jameson? Couldn’t just let Rhino and the Cobras win, could you? Rhino has been in a rage ever since (Rhino leans over and glares at Batch) Look, I’m telling him ok? Ok? You got the win, got the title match Jameson – now you have to live with the consequences (Rhino bites the stage hand conducting the interview) Damn it, not again! “ (E)

Alanis is in her office, safe in the knowledge that Alvin Starr can’t disturb her. Then The Architect barges in…

Architect: “Knock knock!”

Alanis: “Erm, yes you really should-“

Architect: “I’ll bear that mind. Kidding. Ok, lets cut the small talk, why am I not fighting Mainstream tonight?”

Alanis: “You’re not in contention for the Intercontinental Title-“

Architect: “Yet your husband is? That’s not suspicious. By that, I mean it’s suspicious-“

Alanis: “I got that. You’ve got potential-”

Architect: (incredulous) “What!?! THE ARCHITECT is the best submission wrestler in the world today.”

Alanis: “Johnny Bloodstone might have something to say about that.”

Architect: (angry) “No – I’m better than him! THE ARCHITECT is the best submission wrestler in the world in the world today. I know three hundred and nine submission holds, more than anyone else! Being THE ARCHITECT is it’s own title!

Alanis: “That…makes no sense at all”

Architect: “It doesn’t have to! I’m the champion of THE ARCHITECT, I created THE ARCHITECT!!!”

Alanis: (confused) “I’m sorry…sorry if I upset you?”

Architect: (furious) “Shove it where the sun doesn’t shine! THE ARCHITECT won’t take your abuse. I created THE ARCHITECT!!!”

Architect storms out, nearly ripping the door off it’s hinges.

Alanis: “I should get a lock fitted for that door…” (D)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/ThomasMorgan_zps4bda8adf.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/TheArchitect_zpsac44af88.jpg

Thomas Morgan vs The Architect

The brash Architect underestimates Morgan; the veteran is able to ground him easily. However a sneaky low blow doubles Morgan over, allowing Architect to win with the Blueprint.

Winner – The Architect @6:29 (D-)

Main Show

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/HughdeAske_zps8757ac55.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DazzlingDaveDiamond_zpsfd54c62e.jpg

De Aske has been relishing this chance to get at DDD – indeed, Diamond spends most of the match on the run. Finally, de Aske catches up with DDD, only for DDD to counter a sunset flip attempt, holding the ropes for leverage!

Winner – Dazzling Dave Diamond @8:25 (D)

Mainstream Hernandez strolls on to the stage, mic in hand

Mainstream: “Devine, I got a lot of respect for you. Always thought you were a good competitor, man, teaming with you last week gave me a chance to see how good up close…

…but I’m Mainstream Hernandez. I’m what people associate with pro wrestling. Dude, I’m ready to take over wrestling. You’re good Devine but I’m on my way to greatness." (D+)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWUSTagTeam_zps7c63eadd.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/MarvelMalloy_zps65c173e5.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/StormSpillane_zpsc4a349cb.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/Ant-Man_zpsb730e5a3.jpghttp://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/NigelSvensson_zps12314166.jpg

Both teams are more cautious than last month. The Cobras try to divide the ring and isolate Svensson again, but the Swede is able to drag Mallroy to Heizenger and make the hot tag.

Heizenger clears Spillane to the floor and lifts Mallroy for the Antidote. Batch, seeing the titles slip away, jumps on the apron and distracts Heizenger. This gives Mallroy time to quickly slide off Heizenger’s shoulders and execute a Marvel Breaker to retain the titles.

Winner – American Cobras @13:06 (E+)

Kirk Jameson is at the EPW interview point ready to speak about his match with Rhino Umaga

Jameson: (relaxed) “I’ve heard it all before. Sure, Rhino is a monster, a powerhouse - but I’ve made a living from fighting bigger men. Ask yourself – who is the only man to make Hell’s Bouncer tap out? Me. Who beat Leper Messiah when everyone else was afraid? Me.

I may be fighting a monster tonight, but a monster is only a monster until he is slayed. Then he is reduced to legend, to myth. It’s time to slay the beast and reduce Rhino Umaga to a myth."[b ](D-)[/b]

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/GeorgeWolfe_zps598daa33.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/JacobJett_zps372a087a.jpg

George Wolfe vs Jacob Jett

From the opening bell, Wolfe uses his strength and size to toss Jett around the ring. Jett doesn’t panic – he uses his experience to take the tempo up and put Wolfe under pressure. Then, in a feat of strength, Jett elevates and slams Wolfe with a Jett Take Off, scoring the win with the following roll through.

Winner – Jacob Jett @8:02 (D+)

DDD taunts de Aske from the EPW Interview Point

DDD: “I told you that you didn’t have what it takes de Aske! You talk about the main event like you can join it, like you can just walk in to it. Well, you can’t de Aske! You either have it or you don’t and trust me, you don’t!" (D-)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/EPWPacific_zps5ff1081c.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/RhinoUmaga_zps830f7fc7.jpg w/http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/CarlBatch_zpsefb4d006.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/KirkJameson_zpsc22a77e6.jpg

Rhino Umaga has dominated all his opponents in EPW so far and it’s not hard to see why – his size and strength alone make him a threat. Jameson takes the fight to him, but gets crushed with suplexes and an evil lariat.

It takes a mistake from Rhino for Jameson to get back into the match. A missed splash from the ropes see Jameson snatch his opportunity, applying the Kirkhold to Rhino! The monster struggles in the hold but looks like passing out – until Graveson calls a rope break. Jameson looks confused…then he sees Carl Batch hiding at ring side. Before Jameson can chase Batch, Rhino ploughs through him with a Savage Charge! Academic three count…

Winner – Rhino Umaga @19:43 (C-)

Darryl Devine comes out for the main event. Before Mainstream Hernandez comes to the ring, Devine grabs a mic and addresses the crowd

Darryl: “I get your respect for me Mainstream and believe me, the feeling is mutual. You’re a one of a kind talent that will go far.

Potential doesn’t win titles though. Hunger does – and I’m starving. My time is now and I’m desperate to prove myself. I won’t rest until I’m wearing the Intercontinental Title again." (D-)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/DarrylDevine_zps45256d7c.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/EPW/MainstreamHernandez_zpsdc10eaca.jpg

No.1 Contender’s Match Darryl Devine vs Mainstream Hernandez

There is little between the two men – for the majority of the match, momentum shifts frequently with neither Devine nor Hernandez looking likely to win. Devine comes closest with a two count from a tornado DDT, but the Devine Dream Drop is halted with a superkick!

With Devine down, Mainstream heads to the top rope – Apparition #14! Devine moves at the last second, Mainstream hits the canvas! A winded Mainstream rises, only to be taken out with the Devine Dream Drop – Devine is the new No.1 contender!

Winner – Darryl Devine @23.02 (C-)

Overall – C-

Predictions

Beeker - 3/6 Space Needle Splash is an ace name for a finisher, might have to steal it...

smwilliams - 3/6

3rdStringPG - 3/6 Hope you're feeling better...been enjoying the adventures of K.P Avatar!

Midnightnick - 5/6

So Midnightnick wins...no one picked DDD which surprised me, guess no one thinks he's worth pushing?

Looking forward to show 2 - writing and presentation has been fantastic so far.

Thanks for the picks, but they're for the previous card...unless you want me to run it again? :-)

Argh - I thought there were a lot of rematches! Not quite sure what went wrong there...

Figured I'd provide a bit of a gameworld update - aiming to do this every six months or so.

SWF

- Still #1 in the world, though they've fallen to National size

- Only title change is American Machine and Des Davis becoming tag champions

- Brent Hill, Blonde Bombshell and Jack Griffith have been hired, while Lenny Brown, Kristen Pearce, Primus Allen, Bear Belowski and Spencer Spade have been called up from RIPW.

- Bret Biggins is the only departure

- Angry Gilmore and Jessie got divorced early January

TCW

-#2 and National

-Title changes = Eddie Peak as International Champion and Harry Allen as All Action Champ.

-Only Blackfire has been hired, while Brent Hill is the only departure.

-Wolf Hawkins is dating Vita

USPW

-#3 and Cult level. Dean Daniels is currently owner and booker.

-Title changes = Mick Muscles is National Champion, Peter Valentine and Krusher Karloff are tag champions. Valentine is also TV champ.

-Karen Killer and Eric Tyler have been hired as managers

-Danny Rushmore has left USPW

General

-Phoenix Wrestling Company has opened in the Tri State area. Good roster, Steve Flash as owner. Have a feeling they have no money though...

-Hustler D has been hired by MAW as a colour commentator. Sure he'll fit in well with their old school style.

-Roger Cage has signed for CGC, not SWF.

-21CW have signed UK Dragon and Chuck Frisby on written deals. One of these men was a good signing, can you guess which one?

-Monday Next has joined DIW. He's a Japanese Junior in a hardcore promotion, not a great career move...

-VWA have signed Joey Beauchamp, which is quite a coup for them.

Friday Week 1 June 2013

Seattle

A rare quiet Friday night...Alanis was watching TV, while I was on my mobile speaking to Mainstream...

"It was a good match, wasn't it?"

I smiled. It was - thanks to Mainstream. He was a natural in the ring.

"I'm sorry you had to bring the card forward Darryl."

"Don't worry about it...I wanted you on that card"

"I enjoyed being on it! Was enjoying myself, shame I'm leaving..."

I grimaced. Mainstream had signed with CGC at the end of May. I had big plans for him, but I couldn't stop him from signing...the big leagues don't always work out for everyone, but everyone should try 'em at least once.

"It's a shame...fancied beating you again at some point."

"Don't bother me Devine, I don't need to beat you to get over."

We both laughed....I'd struck up a friendship with Mainstream during the last few months, hell I might even miss him a bit. Thank God I still had J or I'd go mad. I wished Mainstream luck, told him to watch his back and that, if he ever needed somewhere to work he was welcome back

Wednesday Week 2 June 2013

Seattle

Home from the gym and I have eight missed calls from J? Guess he misses me.

"Hey J, what's happening?"

"D...you ok?"

"I'm fine. You've rang me eight times, I was wondering if you're ok?"

"I'm good D...wanted to tell you first."

Tell me what? Has he finally proposed to Katie?

"Congratulations J!. When's the stag do?"

"I've not proposed to Katie D...I've signed with CGC."

I was stunned. In a way I was pleased for him; J had been an outstanding talent for years, always wondered why no-one took a chance on him. Part of me was upset - I was going to lose one of our best workers and the guy I trusted most in the locker room.

"D...you still there?"

"Yes...congratulations J. When do you start?"

"In a week, my man."

"That's great J...well, look I have to go, I gotta pick Alanis up from her sister's. Talk later?"

"Sure D, later."

"Later."

I'd never lied to J before. I just didn't want to talk about it. Not now. I needed to talk to Alanis first.

Wednesday Week 2 June 2013

Seattle

"Darryl?"

Alanis seemed surprised when she found me. To be fair, I don't wash the dishes often, but still...

"Hi...you ok?"

"Yes...are you? You look down."

I told her that J was leaving and though, I was happy for him I was gonna miss him. J had been a rock for me in the past, who was I going to talk to now? EPW was great but stressful...sometimes I needed J's chilled out vibe.

"Well, you've always got me silly. Besides, you could talk to other people?"

"Like Mike?"

Alanis glared at me.

"No...not after the gnome incident"

I'm not sure that stealing garden gnomes was really that bad (maybe a 2 on the Devine Scale?). Long story short, we got hammered and tried to move Alanis' gnomes to the EPW office. Mike got caught with the gnomes and, like any good brother, took the blame for it.

"I don't think he realised how much you loved gardening-"

"-Or not having my possessions stolen. Maybe you should meet some new people. What about the EPW guys, have you been out with them?"

I shook my head. I had thought about it, but had always stopped short. Then I weighed it up and realised they were all crazy...

Darryl's potential new friend list

Bulldozer Brandon Smith

+ Likes to drink

- Likes to drink (rumor has it he left MAW because he had drank Atlanta dry)

Alvin Starr

+ Nice guy

- Kayfabe

- Karaoke

Ed Monton

+ Great road agent, great wrestling knowledge, great stories of Jon Jetson fighting mounties

- Scared he'll make me into the new Jon Jetson

KC Glenn

+ A gentleman

- World's shyest man; only speaks if spoken to

Marvel Mallroy

+ Laughing at his stupidity is one of life's simple pleasures

- If you start him on Japanese wrestling, you can't stop him

The Architect

+ Likes a drink

- THE ARCHITECT is not a gimmick....

Alanis brought me back to Earth.

"Look it's a shame Jacob is leaving, we'll miss him, especially Katie. You need to speak to more people, give them a chance-"

"I made that mistake with you, look where that got me..."

Alanis laughed and playfully hit me.

"Yeah and look where it got me! Go on, ring Jacob back."

I grabbed my phone and made my way into the lounge. As I grabbed the door handle, I remembered something.

"By the way, I've booked Collision Course, I've e-mailed you the details The new guy is ready to go and the IWA have confirmed the loans."

"Thanks Darryl. Tell Jacob I said congrats."

"I will...and thanks"

"No problem...that's what I'm here for."

EPW Collision Course Thursday Week 3 July 2013

EPW Intercontinental Title Bulldozer Brandon Smith © vs Darryl Devine

Dazzling Dave Diamond vs Ford Gumble

Kirk Jameson vs Nelson Callum (PSW)

EPW Pacific Title Rhino Umaga © w/Carl Batch vs Pumpkin Jack (ZEN)

Hugh de Aske and Western Alliance vs The Architect and American Cobras w/Carl Batch

Dark Match - KC Glenn and Thomas Morgan vs Alvin Starr and George Wolfe

Hugh de Aske and Western Alliance vs The Architect and American Cobras w/Carl Batch

Also, I think Devine should become best friends with Bulldozer. Especially, because he can call him 'Dozer in real lie.

- Dozer denies Devine this time.

- I have a soft spot for Triple D... one D better than Darryl.

- Seattle weather (rain) rusts through the PSW guy.

- I can't vote against the Dread Lord of the Gourds!

- Based on de Aske (losing but) being on the main show last time, while The Architect (won but) dark matched it.

- Because Alanis is secretly sweet on Starr and changes the booking.

EPW Collision Course Thursday Week 3 July 2013

As much as I love Devine, unless you edited him as your user character, they really nerfed him from previous versions

I've tried pushing DDD in the past, and didnt get anywhere with it

both are talented, but I think Jameson has a little more

Umaga smashes Pumpkins

Could go either way

Other team likely to win, but you know I am not going to go against the Trademark, because he...is...better...than...them!

Liking what you have done with this. Devine has been a personal favorite of mine ever since Bri-fidelitys first NYCW diary back in '05 and J Silver really put him over the top characterwise ( and render wise as his original one is awful) and you really capture a similiar vibe from the character that I went for with my diary. In mine Morgan is overlooked by everyone, where in yours Devine has been buried in USPW.

But still no Ernest Youngman?!?! Seriously, outside of Akima Brave ( and he leads because he has regional overness) there is no better unemployed wrestler to get at the start in North America than Youngman. That boy produces main event level grades with no overness!

Shame about losing Jett, he is really good. I'd have him in my own diary as more than occasional alliance trade except I have an unofficial policy of only bringing those who are currently unemployed on the permanent roster.

And of course, I'd say push Morgan, but he has no overness in USA, whereas he has at least a little to start in Canada, and also ( which fortunately wasn't the case in my game) he can start on the time decline list.

Do we get to vote on who be friends with?

Because I'd love for Devine to be best friends with Ed Monton. Jon Jetson coming out of retirement to fight Mountie Mann? I'm all about that.

Archived