Reid Flair Has Passed Away

alphadraighon

Junkie, alcoholic son of alcoholic wrestler found dead in hotel room?

Not even slightly shocked, or saddened. Just another idiot falling due to his own personal choices in an industry that attracts/breeds addicts.

Dude, really? A human life was lost...regardless of his personal choices...a human life was lost. That's always sad. Everyone has its demons, who are you to judge?

Dude, really? A human life was lost...regardless of his personal choices...a human life was lost. That's always sad. Everyone has its demons, who are you to judge?

It's sad for the people he left behind. But I'm not going to feel sad or sorry for a dead junkie just because he was a wrestler/actor/singer/fighter/whatever.

It's sad for the people he left behind. But I'm not going to feel sad or sorry for a dead junkie just because he was a wrestler/actor/singer/fighter/whatever.

I actually agree with this statement. As someone who has had people in my life do drugs I have learned to not feel bad for them. They choose to live that lifestyle; nobody forced them into doing drugs. To me it is a very selfish thing to do because you not only end up hurting yourself but those around you.

I actually agree with this statement. As someone who has had people in my life do drugs I have learned to not feel bad for them. They choose to live that lifestyle; nobody forced them into doing drugs. To me it is a very selfish thing to do because you not only end up hurting yourself but those around you.

I'm not trying to be insulting here but just because you know people who do drugs, doesn't mean you know the reasons everyone turns to them. Just because your friends (or whoever) turned to them for selfish reasons and had a choice doesn't mean everyone does. There are hundreds of thousands of people who have turned to drugs for other reasons, and some who have been forced into that lifestyle through no choice of their own. Addiction is an illness, not a life choice in some cases. I have known probably 3 people who turned to drugs, and although one was because others were doing them in a group he started hanging around with, there were also two others who turned to them for other reasons (which I'm not going to go into on a message board where children can read them - nor with strangers).

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick or act superior, and I certainly don't mean to imply anything derogatory but I just think your comment is more a whitewash based on your own experiences and doesn't mirror everyone who has turned to drugs.

Addiction is a choice. Did someone make you pick up the crack pipe to begin with? Did someone shove the coke up your nose? Did someone stick that needle in your arm?

Do 100 percent of the people that are addicted to drugs have only themselves to blame? No

Some kids are born with addiction and I'm sure if it wasn't five am I could think of a few random other situations.

Point is these people CHOSE to do drugs. No one forced them to do them. No one had a gun to their head. They did them because life was hard, they did them to fit in, they did them to get stronger, they did them to escape their life. It doesn't matter why they did them plenty of people face those exact same circumstances and DON'T turn to drugs. You are taught from the time you are old enough to go to school that drugs are bad mmmmkay.

Addiction might not be a choice but its certainly your choice to BEGIN the addiction. I don't want to hear "well they didn't know what they were doing when they started". People know that drugs are addictive just like they know everything else. If you know this to be as strong of a fact as the sky is blue and you decide to pick those drugs up for the first time and use then whatever happens after that moment. No matter the reason is you're fault. Its because people make excuses for them or treat them like they are sick that there is a problem. There is no bacteria that is rushing out of the alley ways and jabbing people in the arms with needles and shoving coke up their nose. They make the choice there is no rationale or excuse that trumps the fact that they knew full well what they were getting into and chose to ignore every fiber in their mind, body and soul telling them they are making a mistake.

For the record drugs were found at the scene of the crime and I would bet every penny of my life savings that they come back as the cause of death and given that Reid had a golden ticket if he so chose it and went down this path leaves me with no sympathy that he's gone. In my opinion drug abusers that overdose are just displaying Darwinism at its best.

Addiction might not be a choice but its certainly your choice to BEGIN the addiction.

Definitely NOT always true. I know someone who was diagnosed with cancer and got prescribed Oxycontin. They beat cancer but was left with an addiction to what they were told to take from a doctor.

Definitely NOT always true. I know someone who was diagnosed with cancer and got prescribed Oxycontin. They beat cancer but was left with an addiction to what they were told to take from a doctor.

Doctors rarely prescribe coke, heroine, meth and the likes as far as I know. I'm with Stennick; it all comes down to choices. Choices and willpower.

Doctors rarely prescribe coke, heroine, meth and the likes as far as I know. I'm with Stennick; it all comes down to choices. Choices and willpower.

having had many people in my life, strong minded people, give in to various forms of drugs, it is not a choice. If you have never had it happen to you or your loved ones you won't understand fully. I've had my own little problems and if you catch it early enough you may be lucky enough to escape it, but to claim that you know it's their choice and yada yada yada, you just sound like a jackass.

Drugs change people, almost always for the worst and alot of the time it isn't their fault. I've been on hydrocodone since I just got surgery on a torn ACL and they had me on 2 pills every 4 hours. After taking that for a few weeks I slowed down. I woke up one day having hot flashes and feeling like I was suffering from some sickness.. I was withdrawling. I didn't want it, but my body did. I got lucky enough to catch it early and ease myself off of it. Some/Most people, aren't that lucky. And to those that have no idea and put these people down for things they don't understand, karma will come for you and wish you luck when it's your turn to be looked down on.

I want to be clear when I was talking about drugs I was not talking about people who got addicted to pain killers because they were prescribed them legally or children who became addicted due to their mother being an addict. I was talking about the hardcore illegal stuff. Most people who do that stuff do choose to do that stuff for whatever reason they may have. Very few are forced into using crack or whatever there drug of choice is, they consciously make that decision to use. Those are the people I have no sympathy for.

I also do not buy the, “My life sucks, so I turned to drugs to help me escape from reality.”, as a plausible excuse. For the past six or seven years my life has sucked but never once have I thought it was a good idea to get addicted to drugs because I have witnessed first-hand the toll it takes on people. If that makes me a jackass in the opinion of others so be it. This is not me trying to be holier than thou, this is just my opinion based off my own personal experiences.

As for karma, well I do not believe it in so I am not going to be bitten by it.

Addiction is a choice. Did someone make you pick up the crack pipe to begin with? Did someone shove the coke up your nose? Did someone stick that needle in your arm?

Do 100 percent of the people that are addicted to drugs have only themselves to blame? No

Some kids are born with addiction and I'm sure if it wasn't five am I could think of a few random other situations.

Point is these people CHOSE to do drugs. No one forced them to do them. No one had a gun to their head. They did them because life was hard, they did them to fit in, they did them to get stronger, they did them to escape their life. It doesn't matter why they did them plenty of people face those exact same circumstances and DON'T turn to drugs. You are taught from the time you are old enough to go to school that drugs are bad mmmmkay.

Addiction might not be a choice but its certainly your choice to BEGIN the addiction. I don't want to hear "well they didn't know what they were doing when they started". People know that drugs are addictive just like they know everything else. If you know this to be as strong of a fact as the sky is blue and you decide to pick those drugs up for the first time and use then whatever happens after that moment. No matter the reason is you're fault. Its because people make excuses for them or treat them like they are sick that there is a problem. There is no bacteria that is rushing out of the alley ways and jabbing people in the arms with needles and shoving coke up their nose. They make the choice there is no rationale or excuse that trumps the fact that they knew full well what they were getting into and chose to ignore every fiber in their mind, body and soul telling them they are making a mistake.

For the record drugs were found at the scene of the crime and I would bet every penny of my life savings that they come back as the cause of death and given that Reid had a golden ticket if he so chose it and went down this path leaves me with no sympathy that he's gone. In my opinion drug abusers that overdose are just displaying Darwinism at its best.

Wow. Thanks for weighing in. If ever I need to hear how whiny over-privileged ignorant white Americans feel about things, I'll be sure to ask. But don't hold your breath.

I missed the part where I mentioned my skin color or the country I live in but hey its great that you can make sweeping stereotypical generalizations and all thats so much better than being an underprivileged whiner.

Was I wrong?

I somehow feel like this topic has gotten away from the fact Reid Flair died. ¬_¬

Sorry, I was just aghast at the sheer amount of "blaming the victim" mentality that exists in reaction to Flair's passing.

The drug problem in wrestling (and in the world in general) aren't going to be solved by people adopting an attitude of "**** off junkie! My teacher told me that only losers do drugs so you're a loser who should know as much as me!". Most people use drugs because it's a way to self-medicate both physical and mental problems. Pain, depression, stress, etc.. those are the under-lying causes that have no easily accessible and/or cheap solutions. People get immediate relief by turning to drugs and they don't notice side effects like addiction until it's far too late.

Not to keep this off-track, but as someone who has personally dealt with addiction I do feel the need to weigh in.

A few years ago, I had surgery on one of my arms. Had to have a ganglion cyst removed because it had attached to the tendons and was making in impossible to move my fingers and wrist.

After the surgery, the doctor prescribed some strong pain pills, which I'd always been averse to taking. However I had a lot of pain during my recovery, and took them as prescribed.

Problem was...I never stopped. It became so routine, I didn't even think about what I was taking or if I needed it. It was part of the daily grind. Get up, have my coffee, take two vicodin and off to work.

Didn't even realize I was doing it or that I had a problem until I moved from one state to the other and had to switch doctors. My new doctor pointed out that I shouldn't still need them (and questioned why my old doctor continued to order me refills) and refused to give me a new script. So I figured whatever. Few days later it hit me how much I'd come to rely on the vicodin in the morning. Without it, I was suddenly cranky and irritable. Almost cost me my job because I was snapping at customers.

Point is, I made a choice in a way. I chose to take pills prescribed to me by a doctor to deal with pain from a much needed medical issue. I don't recall making a choice to stay on the pills...the thought never even occurred to me until three years later when I had to stop.

That being said, had I died during that time, I'd like to think that my life would have been dismissed because I was a "junkie." Reid's story is different. He's struggled with addiction and was busted with heroin. Is that the likely cause of his death? Probably, but until the reports come out, you can't be sure. And if it is...so what? Does it somehow diminish anything he did with his life? Does it make his family's loss any less significant?

Because if addiction is a disqualifier for the value of a human life, then we'd have to forget the contributions of Kurt Cobain, Ozzy Osbourne, Jimi Hendirx, Jim Morrison, River Phoenix, and hundreds of others. Hell, US President John Kennedy was an addict. So was Washington.

You can't dismiss someone's life because they battled addiction, especially those who have tried to get clean.

Okay, end of rant. Back to the original topic: Condolences to the Flair family.

Not to keep this off-track, but as someone who has personally dealt with addiction I do feel the need to weigh in.

A few years ago, I had surgery on one of my arms. Had to have a ganglion cyst removed because it had attached to the tendons and was making in impossible to move my fingers and wrist.

After the surgery, the doctor prescribed some strong pain pills, which I'd always been averse to taking. However I had a lot of pain during my recovery, and took them as prescribed.

Problem was...I never stopped. It became so routine, I didn't even think about what I was taking or if I needed it. It was part of the daily grind. Get up, have my coffee, take two vicodin and off to work.

Didn't even realize I was doing it or that I had a problem until I moved from one state to the other and had to switch doctors. My new doctor pointed out that I shouldn't still need them (and questioned why my old doctor continued to order me refills) and refused to give me a new script. So I figured whatever. Few days later it hit me how much I'd come to rely on the vicodin in the morning. Without it, I was suddenly cranky and irritable. Almost cost me my job because I was snapping at customers.

Point is, I made a choice in a way. I chose to take pills prescribed to me by a doctor to deal with pain from a much needed medical issue. I don't recall making a choice to stay on the pills...the thought never even occurred to me until three years later when I had to stop.

That being said, had I died during that time, I'd like to think that my life would have been dismissed because I was a "junkie." Reid's story is different. He's struggled with addiction and was busted with heroin. Is that the likely cause of his death? Probably, but until the reports come out, you can't be sure. And if it is...so what? Does it somehow diminish anything he did with his life? Does it make his family's loss any less significant?

Because if addiction is a disqualifier for the value of a human life, then we'd have to forget the contributions of Kurt Cobain, Ozzy Osbourne, Jimi Hendirx, Jim Morrison, River Phoenix, and hundreds of others. Hell, US President John Kennedy was an addict. So was Washington.

You can't dismiss someone's life because they battled addiction, especially those who have tried to get clean.

Okay, end of rant. Back to the original topic: Condolences to the Flair family.

this. Everyone has problems, and make stupid mistakes, some aren't even their fault. Now I hope the argument ceases. Someone's son, family member has past. and just because he made mistakes doesnt mean he is worthless.

Think of people like Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson messed up more than Reid did and you don't see people calling them worthless addicts or horrible people. Have a heart guys

I was told I shouldn't read this thread, yet here I a,.

This PERSON this HUMANBEING was someone's son, best friend, lover. To say that his life is worthless. No this words were not said outright, but it was implied. Makes the lot that think that cruel and heartless.

Do I think you should be sad? No. Why should you feel bad? You don't needs to morn his death, but there is this thing called decencesy.

My father is on pain meds. Until he hurt his back at age 50 he seldom even took Tylenol. He will be on oxy for the rest of his life.

Someone from this board took their life because of drugs.

My brother did the same.

They both had things in their lives they couldn't cope with.

You see someone in drugs and you think junkie. Do you know WHY? Many people on drugs have turned down that path for reasons. Was it the right path? Maybe not, but think about it.

A rape victim. My turn to drugs to ease the pain. Yes she or he may have family or counciling but to be honest drugs and drinking help them FORGET not just cope.

That guy you think is a loser could have turned to drugs to cope with years of physical abuse.

Just because drugs are not your choice doesn't give you the right to degrade someone's life because they did drugs.

Again I'm not saying you should feel sorry for them, but think about these people's family and friends they are grieving and should not have to deal with attacks on their memories while they morn.

Drugs are no means an answer to anything in life, but when it's what you were raised around it just seems right to them. Also addiction IS a sickness.

Archived