DOTM: Mod May 2013 Poll

DOTM: Mod May 2013 Poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. DOTM: Mod May 2013 Poll

• WWE: The Longest-Running Weekly Episodic Cluster of Shows in TV History! by michgcs
    • The Return Of Terry Thunder [ThunderVerse] by jhd1
    • WCW '94: War of the Thrones by Beejus
    • RW: WWE THREE Brands.... by The Lloyd
    • HGC: The Rise and Fall of Hollyweird (Cverse '97) by arwink
    • WWF 1994: Growing Pains by RKOwnage
    • Carving out Guerrilla Glory[Thunderverse] by kanegan
    • Awesome Wrestling Federation - Takeover [ThunderVerse] by Rare Kuma
    • Total Nonstop Action: Feel the Impact! by |Anderz
    • |TNA: At A Crossroads by Texasrangers13
    • WCW/nWo: At The Apex by NWAvsWWF

This will not be popular with others so here I go ticking people off again…

I thought the whole point of this Mod Category was so that other fictional universes besides the C-Verse had a legitimate shot at winning DOTM, which they do right now. It seems that now Real World mods have won a couple of DOTM in this category, all of a sudden there is the need to make yet another new category.

I think if you add yet another new category it will make DOTM even more of a joke than it already is.

How niche are these categories going to get?

Are we going to have a new DOTM category for diary writers who just write shows and do not write backstage segments? Maybe we should have one for people who post their diaries on Monday’s.

If anything, the Rookie category should be brought back. I mean at least the Rookie category brought new writes to people’s attention. Unlike that Monthly Spotlight category which seems to shine its spotlight on the same diaries month after month.

I thought the whole point of this Mod Category was so that other fictional universes besides the C-Verse had a legitimate shot at winning DOTM, which they do right now. It seems that now Real World mods have won a couple of DOTM in this category, all of a sudden there is the need to make yet another new category.

I'm the one that instituted the Mod category back when I was running the DOTM, so I guess I should answer this.

Before the Mod category was around, we had the C-Verse and the Real World categories, and anything that didn't fit into one of those two groups couldn't be nominated for anything (except Rookie maybe? I don't remember.) It only seemed fair that those types of diaries should be included somewhere.

My initial idea was to merge them with the C-Verse into a general 'Fantasy' category, but it was pointed out that the C-Verse section was plenty packed as it was, which was and still is true. The real world section, meanwhile, generally didn't get more than three or four nominees in a given month. Thus, the combining of all non C-Verse into the new Mod category.

The real world section has had a resurgence lately, and you could argue that both of these sections are currently strong enough to warrant their own poll. I personally would prefer to keep them combined, as it makes things more interesting and competitive. But I can see the case for a split, and it wouldn't bother me terribly if it happened. This is ultimately angel's call, I guess.

Either way, I don't think we need the Rookie category back.

and all the way back to my time

real world = any thing with owned IP (so real world, 9000 verse, things pulled from our real world)

cverse = ANYTHING else (no owned IP, and thus could be acknowledged by Grey dog and for greydog's use. the reason Adams diary of the month never touched a 'real world' diary)

rookie was a diary less than two months old, not started by a hall of famers (HOF members in theory had an established audience)

This will not be popular with others so here I go ticking people off again…

While I wouldn't word it quite as strongly, I do find myself agreeing (to a certain extent) with BHK. The only reason I'd like to see ThunderVerse and other non-RW mods done separately is that they have such a smaller readership that the competition (generally) seems weighted against them (for example, the two diaries I nominated this month have only 1 vote between them and that was from me). That said, I can see what you mean regarding the number of categories - particularly if the number of ThunderVerse diaries (for the sake of example) dropped off and there was nothing to nominate!

I also agree regarding Monthly Spotlight which seems to have just become a spin-off of the main two DOTM contests (i.e. the same diaries get nominated for both, often for the same reasons), but Rookie DOTM had its faults too.

Personally, I can't think of a way to improve the contest in any worthwhile way. It could definitely do with a shakeup, I just don't know how. :D

EDIT: Probably worth adding that having 11 votes is an enormous compliment and my views on DOTM come as a spectator over the last several months, not as a nominee this time around. :)

Rather than a "resurgence", I think rw-verse always had a pretty loyal, yet small, fanbase. However, most mods do not have such a fanbase, and as such, depend on the popularity of the writer's previous diaries or the popularity of the writer themselves.

whether anything was decided or not, this debate was a unique way to keep this poll bumped.

I don't see separating Real World from other fictional worlds (thunderverse, etc) is too many niches. Now if we wanted to separate modern vs oldschool or WWE vs other real worlds, then I might agree. Real World is different from fantasy leagues (and the avid followers are usually different, and the split allows us to split our vote between our favorites in both), and I can totally understand why the mothership (C-verse) needs to stand alone.

Archived