The League of Extraordinary Football Players

I'm reading, please continue. I absolutely enjoy this and wonder why this part of the forum is so dead. I figured it'd be fun to create characters in the mind of individual football players and I'm a stat fiend so if you post numbers I'll definitely read.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm reading, please continue. I absolutely enjoy this and wonder why this part of the forum is so dead. I figured it'd be fun to create characters in the mind of individual football players and I'm a stat fiend so if you post numbers I'll definitely read.

Haha I really appreciate that man, you have no idea how encouraging that is. :) It's always nice to know someone somewhere is reading, it makes it worth keeping up with! I'll gladly continue. If you have any suggestions or comments, predictions, ect. feel free to leave em' here and I'll respond as soon as possible!!!

Post Season

Awards Presented:

Chuck Bednarik

Jim Thorpe

Free Safety Louis Jackson routinely frustrated offenses with his athleticism and big-play ability. Teams are still trying to figure out how to handle a player of his ability on the defensive end. He finished the year with 97 total tackles (82 solo), 5 sacks and 17 passes deflected. He managed 7 interceptions for 48 yards and finished with one defensive touchdown as well.

Heisman Trophy

Davey O’Brien Award

QB Anthony Ware was a difference maker on offense and feared by all opposing defensive coordinators this season. He often took games over and leaves a legacy of offensive accomplishments. He completed 247 of 386 passes for 4000 yards with 35 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 174.7.

Lou Groza

K Joe Davis made 23 field goals on 29 attempts, with a season long of 49 yards. He converted 60 of 62 extra point attempts and totaled 129 overall points.

Fred Biletnikoff

WR Vincente Bautista caught 67 balls for 1329 yards, averaging 19.8 yards per catch. He added 11 touchdowns and had 54 yards after contact.

Bowl Invitation!

The Rose Bowl has extended us an invitation to take on California. This is a great opportunity for our program to shine on the big stage. Good luck!

Bowl Games

Just the Bowl Games that WAC Conference teams got invited to.

Hawaii Bowl:

(6-5) Hawaii vs. (8-3) East Carolina

East Carolina def. Hawaii, 27-17.

Champs Sports Bowl:

(7-4) Boise State vs. #23 (8-3) Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech def. Boise State, 26-16.

MPC Computers Bowl:

(8-4) Fresno State vs. (7-4) Clemson

Clemson def. Fresno State, 36-17.

Rose Bowl:

#17 (8-3) California vs. #6 (12-0) Geneva Bible

California def. Geneva Bible, 41-27.

Orange Bowl: (National Championship)

#1 (10-2) Michigan vs. #5 (11-2) Wisconsin

Michigan def. Wisconsin, 37-14 to become the 2012 National Champions!

Interesting, that USC and Iowa who both were in the National Championship last year, failed to even enter the Top 25 when this season was over, sitting at #26, and #28 respectively.

Off-Season

Last Years Coaching Changes:

(4-7) Southern Methodist

(3-8) Northwestern

(3-8) Rutgers

(1-10) Illinois

(1-10) Kansas

(0-11) Temple

(0-11) Wake Forest

(0-11) Duke

This Year’s Progress:

(5-6) Southern Methodist

(0-11) Northwestern

(0-11) Rutgers

(4-7) Illinois

(2-9) Kansas

(3-8) Temple

(1-10) Wake Forest

(0-11) Duke

Teams I’d like to keep an eye on because of the increase of their records (3 games won more than previous season)

Northwestern

Rutgers

Illinois

Temple

Sitting down and reflecting on our season gave me a lot of laughs. It has been such a joy at Geneva but this time of the year is always reflection time, and job offer time. Looking at my email, one email caught my eye in particular. It was from our Athletic Director, telling us we have the option to move from the WAC to the ACC conference. Of course I accepted that offer, it can only mean bigger and better things for Geneva. Looking through the rest of the news floating through the internet:

(1-10) Army Black Knights have released their head coach and picked up Kevin Newton, who was unemployed last season. (3-8) Arkansas Razorbacks hired Marvin King, another unemployed coach last season, firing their previous coach. (3-8) South Carolina hired Carter Schroeder, and fired their old head coach. Carter was also not employed last season.

I am getting paid $1,125,000 a year to coach Geneva Bible. Today I met with some people who showed interest in me coaching over at Florida Atlantic and told me they’d match my pay. (3-9) Florida Atlantic, was a really nice school that has been on the decline with their football team. Coach Tyler Wall has been coaching for the past 5 years. They started at (6-5) and went to (4-8), then (4-7) for 2 years, and finally this year was (3-9). They’ve gone from finishing 2nd in the conference, to 7th. They tried to keep him around because they liked him, but enough is starting to be enough. After a lot of deliberation, and a couple weeks of serious consideration, I decided to take the job. A personal friend of mine, an assistant coach at LSU took the head coaching job over for me, Edgar Farris.

Geneva Bible... this is goodbye.

• 3 weeks later...

NFL Playoffs

12 Teams competed for the ultimate prize, to be the Super Bowl Champion. So far we’ve seen the Arizona Cardinals (2008), New England Patriots (2009), the San Francisco 49ers (2010), and the Baltimore Ravens (2011) all reach the top of the top. Who will claim the 2012 elusive title of the best in the league?

The top competitors who received a bye week for the first week are:

The Washington Redskins.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Houston Texans.

The Miami Dolphins.

The Wildcard

NFC:

The Arizona Cardinals def. the Atlanta Falcons, 17-9 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.

The Green Bay Packers defeated The New Orleans Saints, 30-14 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.

AFC:

The Kansas City Chiefs def. the Oakland Raiders, 33-23 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.

The Baltimore Ravens def. the Indianapolis Colts, 19-14 to lock their place in the Division Championship.

Division Championship

NFC:

The Washington Redskins def. the Arizona Cardinals, 24-13 to move onto the Conference Championship.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated The Green Bay Packers, 38-17 to move onto the Conference Championship.

AFC:

The Houston Texans def. The Kansas City Chiefs, 28-21 and are on their way to the Conference Championship.

The Miami Dolphins def. the Houston Texans, 35-28 to move on to the Conference Championship.

Conference Championship

NFC:

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers def. the Washington Redskins, 30-27 to go on to the Super Bowl!

AFC:

The Miami Dolphins def. the Houston Texans, 30-10 to go on to the Super Bowl!

SuperBowl

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Miami Dolphins, 28-7 to win the Super Bowl and become the 2012 Super Bowl Champions!

C.J. Spiller (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) won the MVP, Playoff MVP, and Offensive POY award for 2012.

Spiller, C.J. - RB: 387 att, 1639 yds, 16 TD, 54 rec, 571 yds, 2 TD

• 1 month later...

Update on Geneva Alumni

QB James Givens was released the 2nd week of the preseason the same year he was drafted.

RB Neil Ingram made it to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 1 year on a trial run, and while he picked up a Super-Bowl Ring while he was there, he was shortly released after not playing a single play the entire season. RB Ingram decided to stay around for the Free Agency, although hasn't gotten any interest as of yet.

FB Wayne Chen played and started in all 16 games for Houston, and picked up 13 attempts, for 77 yards and 1 touchdown. FB Chen is currently a free agent.

T Michael Cook played in 14 games, started in 2 for New Orleans racking in 9 pancakes.

T Edward Tobin did not play a single game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers but picked up a Super-Bowl ring. Tobin was released shortly after, and did not elect to be in the Free Agency list.

WR Russell Sears signed a contract extension with Green Bay for 2 more years. Sears played in 16 games, started in 0, and received 9 attempts for 130 yards and 1 touchdown.

DT Steven Reynolds signed a contract extension for 1 more year with Pittsburgh.

Meeting the Team

When I walked into the room, I found four guys sitting at their seats. The one at the end of the table who looked to be leading the meeting, was David Dotson, the Athletic Director. The two guys on the right side of the table were the Offensive Coordinator Leo Chadwick, and Special Teams Coach Scott Guerra. On the opposite side of those two, next to the empty chair, sat Defensive Coordinator Clayton Sherman. I could tell from first impressions, these guys were a very inspirational, motivated group of coaches.

Mr. Dotson lit up when he saw me, ecstatically expressing his joy with a smile that seemed to big for his face. He introduced me to the other three, but the way he talked about me made it sound like he had been talking about me for a while. I knew Coach Guerra because he had coached Texas for 3 years, before taking a year off. He came back to FAU last year. Coach Sherman had been with Ohio for 2 years, before taking 2 years off, and coming back to join the FAU crowd last year. Coach Chadwick however, was the most faithful. He’s been with FAU for all four years, this is going to be his fifth year.

Coach Chadwick explained their offensive strategy. I came from a team that ran the Run and Gun offense, but FAU were currently running an Option offense. Coach Chadwick actually preferred the Smash Mouth offense. Coach Sherman told me on defense, they were running the 4-3, though he preferred the 3-4. I’m coming from a team that ran the 4-2-5 so it’s not too different for me. I’m going to have to make some changes, but first I’ve got to see what we have to work with after this years draft. Mr. Dotson explained we are actually -135,000 in the hole right now financially. I decided to keep the coaching staff we had here, so I can get better clued in before I try to adjust anything within the administration here.

Now that the introductions were out of the way, and I expressed my desire to keep everyone right where they were, we were able to move on to our current roster of student athletes. I explained that just like staffing, I like to give everyone a shot to play, and earn their spot on the team regardless of previous experiences. So nobody was a certain starter to me, and they were fine with that philosophy. On offense, our strong suits were our halfback, and our tackles. Our tight end was really poor. On defense, our strong suits were our strong safety, though he was a senior so he wouldn’t be here for much longer. We were poor in our tackles and linebackers. With special teams, we were set this year, though our punter was a senior.

Immediately I start pushing the transfer wire. I see a very interesting OG from Florida State that I target, John Lyons, and he bites! He recognized my name as the coach, and decided to accept the invitation to come start for my team here. OT Roger Nelson from Vanderbilt was another that caught my attention, and he decided to accept the transfer request as well! Both of these people, while they do have to earn their job here, I think will wind up dominating at the offensive line for me next season. A couple others I targeted like a TE, WR, and a SS, but they transferred elsewhere. I got a message left with my assistant at the end of the transfer window, from an OLB named Nicholas Bowling. Here’s the message.

Coach Demarco,

I wanted to let you know that I am interested in playing football for Florida Atlantic. My girlfriend just got accepted there and plans to enroll in the fall. We really want this relationship to work and would both love to attend classes together next fall. We now live in North Carolina and I am probably not even on your radar right now. Still, I would love to visit Florida Atlantic and meet with you and the team.

I am currently playing Outside Linebacker and think I could really help out your team next season. I know you have a limited number of scholarships, but I think you won't regret giving me a shot to join up with the Owls. So, I hope you will consider me in your recruiting efforts.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Bowling

Well, with Bowling in mind, and the rest of our team needing a make-over, this was going to be one interesting season to say the least. We finished 3-9 last season without me, hopefully we can do something with the opportunity we have now. The coaches, excited, all departed except me. I stayed behind, staring down at our roster trying to figure out what our team was going to be like, and looking over our recruiting reports. This was going to be a successful year, I could feel it.

• 4 weeks later...

Recruiting

Weeks 1-3

Week One

As I sat in the backroom waiting for the other coaches to get here for our weekly meeting, I was thumbing through the list of recruits again. If I got what I wanted, this year was going to be quite fruitful for us.

On key, the rest of the coaches piled in, one after the other, along with our Athletic Director, Mr. Dotson. I’m not sure if I liked how involved he was getting with our team or not, but for now I decided to remain indifferent. Each Coach, besides Mr. Dostson, had a clipboard in their hands and a folder they brought to the meeting, just like I asked. Coach Sherman didn’t bring a pen, which defeated the purpose of having a clipboard… I lent him one. First thing we had to do, we evaluate our roster and come to a conclusion of which spots we wanted to focus on. Coach Guerra told me his crew was looking fine, that he wouldn’t need to be targeted yet except for his punter that was leaving.

Coach Chadwick was the next to chime up. He told us his areas of concern were really just Tight End, and maybe an Offensive Guard, but we could use additional help with our QB, WR, and Center. Coach Sherman mentioned on defense, we needed help with OLB and DT, but could use help with DE, ILB, CB, and FS. The only strong suit is our SS. I decided I liked Clayton Sherman a lot, and realized at Geneva our offense won us the game, but here I feel like if I could make-over this defense, we’d be unstoppable. Our offense will come as we grow, but if teams can’t score against us, they can’t win. I know it’s a bit of a different philosophy, but if I could find a Louis Jackson (FS) here like I did at Geneva, it could be the difference maker.

So that’s what I decided for the final, that I wanted to focus on, Defense. For our first 5 recruits I sent out invitations to come visit us, that OLB Bowling that sent me that email was first on the list. After that, I targeted a ridiculously athletic athlete, QB Varela, a TE Thomas, OG Campbell, and an Athletic WR Savage. I figured if I could perfect and nail my offense down in the first few weeks of recruiting, I’d have the rest of the draft to focus on defense. So of course I sent my coaches to scout them, along with some other main key players. CB Schroeder and Patterson and Lopez, Lopez was athletic and someone I had high hopes for, OLB K Smith, P Langley (to appease Coach Guerra), DE Waters was the only real person I had in my grasps to come here for Defensive End, so hopefully he’ll be able to perform. ILB Braden and FS White were also people who pinged my radar. RB Rivera was also very athletic, I’d like to see what he could do at TE though he’d be quite small for that position… or possibly even ILB. Our OG Henson, another person I was looking at is also quite athletic. I decided to give FS Taylor a shot as well, but I doubted anything would come of it. SS Sanchez I targeted just for depth, in case anything were to happen to our only strong player on our defense. TE Morey was a 6’7 monster who could be potentially huge (excuse the pun) should he take off. For Centers, the pool wasn’t great. I targeted White and Brown. For DT’s, I wound up targeting Lawson, Mckinley, and Holland. Lawson, in my opinion, was the better pick up, but not by much. I also targeted Rock and Rudd as two other ILBs that had potential. ILB Rodriguez was so close to their potential, I decided to take a shot on him too. CB Haskins won my vote too. With $5,000 left to play with, I decided to shoot over at offense. I added OG Wiley to the mix, WR Lewis and Stine and C Gibson. C Benjamin definitely caught my eye though.

Week Two

My scouts returned baring gifts… or well, news. From our main targets right now, here’s what our scouts found out:

1. OLB Bowling – I scouted but got no results for… hmm.

2. QB Varela was interested in the Head Coach, and Location.

3. TE Thomas was interested in the Head Coach, and Team Prestige.

4. OG Campbell was interested in Team Prestige, and Location.

5. WR Savage was interested in Playing Time, and a Chance to Win.

I also decided to add 5 more people to our main target lists, and invited them to come visit. They are, WR Omalley, CB Schroeder, TE Morey, CB Patterson and Haskins. All but Omalley I had already scouted so the updated list looks like:

1. OLB Bowling – I scouted but got nothing back.

2. QB Varela was interested in Location.

3. TE Thomas was interested in Location.

4. OG Campbell was interested in Location.

5. WR Savage was interested in Playing Time.

6. WR Omalley – Unknown

7. CB Schroeder – Team Prestige

8. TE Morey – Location

9. CB Patterson – Team Prestige, and Head Coach

10. CB Haskins – Playing Time

I was missing my CB Lopez, the one I favored, and CB Barajas was added to my desire to scout list, as well as C Benjamin from last week and of course, WR Omalley. CB Lopez I know desired Head Coach and Location. The rest don’t really matter for now. CB Lopez, FS Taylor, WR Lewis, OG Wiley, DT Mckinley, and FS White all are losing interest in playing for us. I’m not sure why we can’t seem to land a FS, as both of our scouted FS lost interest. We decided to give up FS White, but to continue pursuing FS Taylor who’s desire was for a Chance to Win. Hopefully that’s enough for us to win him over Florida, Tennessee, who he’s also considering. DT Lawson I actually sent an effort out to recruit this week as well.

Week Three

1. OLB Bowling – Location

6. WR Omalley – Unknown

8. TE Morey – Location

11. CB Barajas –

12. SS Sanchez -

13. OLB Smith -

14. ILB Braden -

15. RB Rivera -

16. DT Lawson – Location

17. P Langley -

18. DT Romero -

19. OT Hughes -

20. ILB Rock -

Nothing really interesting happened this week, except for my list growing a lot bigger and not having the finances to reach out and try to recruit everybody on it. We were only able to get DT Lawson this week with a recruit offer. Hopefully this can pick up next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Recruiting

Weeks 4 – 9

Week Four

1. OLB Bowling – Location

6. WR Omalley – Unknown

8. TE Morey – Location

11. CB Barajas –

12. SS Sanchez -

13. OLB Smith -

14. ILB Braden – Playing Time

15. RB Rivera -

16. DT Lawson – Location

17. P Langley -

19. OT Hughes -

20. ILB Rock -

21. DT Cross -

22. ILB Waddell -

23. CB Hill -

24. WR Herrera -

25. OLB Mccarthy

26. OLB Lilly -

27. WR Steiner -

28. RB Platt -

29. CB Manning -

30. OG Serrano -

Well that was interesting. WR Stine, and DT Romero both failed to meet our Academic Standards, so were forcefully removed off the list. Stine we weren’t so hard on, but Romero was somebody we were looking forward to seeing play for us. FS Taylor wound up committing to Alabama, and we got nothing, again. We’re almost halfway through this draft with no commits, and still no money to go on. DT Cross was added to the list, as well as ILB Waddell, CB Hill, WR Herrera, and OLB Mccarthy. Moving past the next few weeks, people kept getting added, but nobody was responding to our own invitations and signing with us. Finally, we got our week from hell. OLB Bowling went to East Carolina, TE Thomas went to Arkansas State, along with CB Barajas and CB Manning. WR Steiner went to the Army, RB Platt settled for Louisiana-Monroe, WR Herrera went to Tulsa, OG Serrano went to Central Florida with ILB Waddell, CB Lopez broke my heart and left for Nevada, and OLB Lilly went to Troy. Oh and 0 people committed to FAU. New and improved list:

8. TE Morey – Location

12. SS Sanchez -

13. OLB Smith - Location

15. RB Rivera -

19. OT Hughes – Scouted ***********

20. ILB Rock -

21. DT Cross – Scouted *****************

23. CB Hill -

25. OLB Mccarthy

26. OLB Lilly -

27. FS Blair – Scouted*************

28. ILB Weeks -

30. CB Clark -

31. OLB Williams -

32. OT Rios -

Week Seven

Again nobody has actually committed to us yet and as you can see, our list of targets have changed almost completely. Going into Week Eight, WR’s West and Omalley decided to go elsewhere, ILB Braden left, DT’s Morgan and Lawson left, FS White went somewhere, DT Holland left, P Langley committed to South Florida, and C Gibson went to Kentucky. Well then. QB Varela, RB Rivera, WR Savage, and TE Morey all committed to here. All offense has committed so far, this is not what I wanted. So far all we’ve gotten was a QB, RB, WR, and a TE, at least our offense is looking good!

12. SS Sanchez – Style of Play

15. RB Rivera – Chance to Win

20. ILB Rock – Head Coach

21. DT Cross – Scouted *****************

23. CB Hill -

25. OLB Mccarthy – Head Coach

26. OLB Lilly -

28. ILB Weeks -

30. CB Clark -

31. OLB Williams -

32. CB Lopez -

33. ILB Robertson -

34. CB Smith -

36. DT Mckinley – Playing Time

37. DE Waters – Playing Time

38. OLB Bishop -

39. OLB Phillips

40. CB Montgomery -

41. QB Witherspoon -

42. OLB Wheeler -

43. FS Miller -

Week Eight

TE Anderson, OLB Smith, and FS Nelson all committed elsewhere. Adding people to the list but not having enough money to scout / recruit them, is starting to become frustrating. We moved on to our final week of recruiting, and with only an offensive line, I was starting to get intimidated. DT Mckinley committed this week, which means we at least got somebody, though looking over his profile, I am not sure I’d be safe to say he’s Louis Jackson worthy. But he’s somebody. As we finished our final week, we got the list of final recruits that signed with us. FS Everett signed with us the final week.

The following recruits ended up coming to Florida Atlantic:

TE Jess Peterson, 2-stars

North Forsyth (Cumming, GA)

National Rank: 1430, Regional: 368, Position: 95

CB Reginald Coleman, 2-stars

Holmes CC (MS), Pensacola, FL, HS - FL

National Rank: 1616, Regional: 421, Position: 179

WR James Richardson, 2-stars

Rutherford (Springfield, FL)

National Rank: 1539, Regional: 399, Position: 198

ILB Jack Sandoval, 2-stars

St. Augustine (St. Augustine, FL)

National Rank: 1986, Regional: 510, Position: 135

DT James Mckinley, 1-stars

Calhoun (Calhoun, GA)

National Rank: 2970, Regional: 771, Position: 136

FS Brian Everett, 1-stars

Merritt Island (Merritt Island, FL)

National Rank: 2547, Regional: 651, Position: 69

QB Leslie Varela, 1-stars

St. John Neumann (Naples, FL)

National Rank: 2221, Regional: 571, Position: 190

WR Craig Olsen, 1-stars

Haralson County (Tallapoosa, GA)

National Rank: 1782, Regional: 463, Position: 220

WR James Savage, 1-stars

First Academy (Orlando, FL)

National Rank: 2633, Regional: 676, Position: 317

RB Russell Rivera, 1-stars

Homestead (Homestead, FL)

National Rank: 2731, Regional: 708, Position: 212

TE Rafael Morey, 1-stars

Edgewater (Orlando, FL)

National Rank: 2584, Regional: 662, Position: 164

OLB Isiah Edmonds, 1-stars

Washington (Miami, FL)

National Rank: 1805, Regional: 469, Position: 140

CB Forrest Dunn, 1-stars

Atlantic (Port Orange, FL)

National Rank: 1731, Regional: 451, Position: 193

OG William Brennan, 1-stars

Lakeland (Lakeland, FL)

National Rank: 1836, Regional: 476, Position: 132

DT Lewis Gonzalez, 1-stars

East Hall (Gainesville, GA)

National Rank: 2928, Regional: 758, Position: 132

K Adam Barton, 1-stars

Cascade (Wartrace, TN)

National Rank: 3435, Regional: 875, Position: 33

So we had 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 OG, 2 DT, 1 ILB, 1 OLB, 2 CB, 1 FS, and 1 K. I picked them carefully though, so we may have a good chance if we could get our offense off the ground this year or next. I’ll give a full preview later, when the other coaches return.

• 4 weeks later...
<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:18px;">NFL Draft Day</span></p><p> </p><p> Sitting back and watching the NFL Draft with Coach Sherman and Coach Chadwick, and Coach Guerra was a lot of fun. It was interesting seeing my #1 pick out of the draft, QB Zimmerman a couple years ago now be ranked #1 draft pick of the NFL Draft. Keeping in touch with my roster last year, I found out:</p><p> </p><p> QB Anthony Ware and Frank Silva was in the draft, Silva was actually rated higher than Ware!</p><p> OG Romero and Carranza both entered the draft.</p><p> DE Fernandez entered.</p><p> ILB Crow, a great ILB entered as well as OLB Fong. Both players I loved having on my team.</p><p> FS Louis Jackson, one of the greatest FS of all time in college football, in my opinion, entered.</p><p> </p><p> While nobody from FAU entered, and probably won’t be for a really long time, if ever…. It’ll be interesting seeing where these picks go. When it was all said and done, only one player from Geneva got picked up in the draft, and that as of course, FS Jackson.</p><p> </p><p> QB Marcus Zimmerman was drafted Round 1, Pick 3 to the Minnesota Vikings.</p><p> FS Louis Jackson was drafted Round 1, Pick 14 to the Seattle Seahawks.</p><p> </p><p> So that makes our current roster in the NFL:</p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37558" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>QB James Givens – Kansas City Chiefs (4th String)<p> T Michael Cook – New Orleans Saints (Starter)</p><p> WR Russell Sears – Green Bay Packers (4th WR)</p><p> DT Steven Reynolds – Pittsburgh Steelers (3rd String)</p><p> FS Louis Jackson – Seattle Seahawks (Starter)</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It’s interesting to note that none of our players have made it onto the same team yet. We’ll keep everyone update for how these players do, as well as any particular breaking news story, throughout the season.</p></div><p></p><p></p>

• 1 month later...

Training Camp

I explained to them before, I don’t guarantee anyone’s positions until they prove to me they deserve to be there. I guess they thought I was kidding when I started moving some of the starters around. We held a coaches meeting and I explained to them, while I was satisfied with how our budget was planned out for the most part, I was going to use some of the money to focus on our scouting program. We need to have better scout results if we’re going to keep up having great drafts.

Talking to Coach Chadwick, he really liked the Smash Mouth offense. I can relate to his love for running, and I definitely wanted to play off of that, but we have to utilize some of our receivers who are coming around. One thing I knew, we definitely weren’t using that dreadful Option offense anymore. We decided collectively that Run n Gun would be the best option for us. Call me crazy, but I trust our offense. Coach Sherman liked the 3-4 defense a lot. I preferred the 3-3-5 because I don’t feel like we have the equipment at Defense necessary to stop a lot of offenses, at least not yet.

As quickly as I was about to dismiss the meeting, my phone rang. It was Buffalo Bulls head coach, wanting to play us week 2. We decided to move Houston Cougars to Week 1 so we can play Buffalo, and then I called Idaho Vandals for Week 3. We also managed to book Akron Zips for week 13. I know it looks like a relatively tough schedule adding in Idaho, Buffalo, and Akron… but like I said, I trust my team. The entire schedule was finished and laid out within the next couple of weeks, this is what it looks like:

Week 1 – Houston

Week 2 – Buffalo

Week 3 – at Idaho

Week 4 – Louisiana-LAF

Week 5 - Bye

Week 6 – at Louisiana Tech

Week 7 – North Texas

Week 8 – Southern Miss

Week 9 – at Louisiana-Monroe

Week 10 – Bye

Week 11 – Arkansas State

Week 12 – at Troy

Week 13 – Akron

Week 14 – at Florida Int.

Week 15 – Bye.

My projections is that we win the first two games, lose to Idaho, win the next two, lose to North Texas and Southern Miss, win over ULM, lose to Arkansas State and Troy, win over Akron and escape with a win over Florida International. We should have a 7-5 year though that might seem like a lot to ask, seeing as how this program hasn’t had a winning year since their first year, and that was only 6-5. But as I’ve always said, there’s only one way to find out…

But before we can do that, I’ve got to figure out who I want to redshirt this year. FS Johnson from the draft is redshirting this year, though next year I fancy that he’ll be starting. Drafted CB Hill will be redshirting, ILB Weeks is also redshirting. Walk-on TE Ratliff will be redshirting this year as well.

Our Roster

Watching our players lifting weights and running drills put a smile on all of our faces, as all the coaches sat around the table in our Coaches Meeting Room. Soon it would be time to talk starting positions, which is something all of the other coaches were interested in seeing me do. I decided to take a look at our roster and depth charts. First, I pulled Coach Chadwick over for the offense.

On offense we had 4 year Junior Walker leading it as the QB, with JR RB Smith, SR’s Nelson at FB and StPierre at WR. We then had JR Scott at second WR, and 4th Year JR Bailer as TE. For the offensive lines, we had JR Barnett and 3rd year SO Nelson, and at guards we had SR’s Bauer and Clark. Bauer is a 5th year SR. Under C was JR Thompson. Overall we had 4 average players, a halfback, a wide out and 2 OT’s. We had 6 below average players and 1 poor player at TE. I wanted to make note that through training camp, the only people secured of their position in my eyes so far are Smith, Scott, Barnett and Nelson.

For the offensive line first: OG Lyons is transferring here next semester so he’ll be able to take over one of the Seniors spots next year, and recruited rookie Brennan should take the other one if he performs the way I think he will. Hopefully next year I’ll be able to bring in a good enough Center to do the job if Thompson fails this season. I’m okay with Walker leading the pack this year, although next year I’m expecting our recruit Varela to step up to the challenge and dethrone Walker… for now Varela will be redshirted. RB Recruited Rivera will be taking over Smith’s spot once he leaves in 2 years, but this year he’ll be redshirted. Next year we’ll see what Rivera could do. For the WR spot, Scott has secured his place, while Recruit Richardson and SR StPierre will be fighting for 2nd and 3rd string. I’ll probably end up giving it to StPierre just because it’s his final year, letting Richardson get 3rd slot touches. Other recruits Savage and Olsen will be redshirted, though next year they should present a problem… a good one.

On defense, this is where I saw us really struggle last year when I watched over the tapes. With only three average players, two of them being on special teams, I knew something had to be done. First off was our horrendous line, which had SR DT Estrada, SO’s DE Beltran, and DT Murray and Redshirted Freshman DE Curry. Our DE’s had a lot of potential if they lived up to it, but our DT’s struggled a lot last year. So I brought in two recruits who will be redshirted this year, who I’m hoping will be able to take over the DT’s spots next year. SO ILB May was doing a below average job, one that the previous coach was content with. Well I’m not that coach, and I’m not okay with that type of work, so I had May and Gibson both fighting for the ILB slot, while rookie Sandoval will redshirt this year. I fully expect him as well to take over the position next year.

OLB SR’s Hay and Perry weren’t impressing anyone either. I actually expect recruited freshman Edmonds to steal Hay’s spot this year during training camp. CB’s Gonzalez and Jones did an average job last year, but weren’t going to cut the cake if we were going to stop WR’s from doing us dirty. So I brought in recruit CB’s, Dunn and Junior CB Coleman from junior college. Both I expect to steal the starting job by the end of camp. I brought in FS Everett from recruitment to redshirt this year, hopefully he’ll be starting next year over current starter Masterson. I brought in a kicker from recruitment, Barton and had him move over to the punter position. To my surprise, he’s making an impression on everyone in training camp, and he has a good chance of starting over SR Shelton who he was brought in to back up for.

Training Camp Begins

As we go through the training camp, I’ve made a list to show you how the position battles are going. Starters automatically receive 5 points, and others get a point for each good activity they do during the week, and each bad activity they do they deduct a point.

QB:

Starter Walker = 5

Recruit Varela = 0

Redshirted Freshman Wright = 0

HB:

Starter Smith = 5

Recruit Rivera = 0

FB:

Starter Nelson = 5

SR Boone = 0

JR Ryan = 0

WR:

Starter StPierre = 5

Starter Scott = 5

Recruit Savage = 0

Recruit Olsen = 0

Recruit Richardson = 0

TE:

Starter Bailey = 5

Recruit Morey = 0

Recruit Peterson = 0

OG:

Starter Clark = 5

Starter Bauer = 5

Recruit Brennan = 0

DT:

Starter Estrada = 5

Starter Murray = 5

Recruit McKinley = 0

Recruit Gonzalez = 0

ILB:

Starter May = 5

Redshirted Junior Gibson = 0

Recruit Sandoval = 0

OLB:

Starter Perry = 5

Starter Hay = 5

Recruit Edmonds = 0

CB:

Starter Gonzalez = 5

Starter Jones =5

SR Perkins = 0

JR Small = 0

JR Recruit Coleman = 0

Recruit Dunn = 0

Safeties:

Starter FS Masterson = 5

Starter SS Ingram = 5

Recruit FS Everett = 0

SR SS Copeland = 0

Punter:

Starter Shelton = 5

Recruit Barton = 0

Training Camp Week 1

QB Varela has dominated, while QB Walker has had a tough time keeping up this week. My worry about C Thompson not living up to expectations was put to rest pretty quickly this week, as he’s shown heart and determination to play to the best of his ability and leave everything he’s got on that field. The talk between him and our OC must have been a good one. Punter Barton has dominated his portion of the punts, to a point where he may quickly become one of the best punters I’ve ever seen in college, and that says a lot. Rookie FS Everett has been less than steller, being burned several times in the backfield this week. CB Coleman is showing himself to be a shut down corner, dominating the competition. ILB Sandoval is becoming a tough competitor to compete against, shutting down the potentially long runs. TE Bailey seems to be deteriorating as he plays, while Morey and Peterson are both making a run for his position. Here are the current standings: Nobody has been eliminated yet.

QB:

Starter Walker = 4

Recruit Varela = 3

Redshirted Freshman Wright = -1

HB:

Starter Smith = 6

Recruit Rivera = 2

FB:

Starter Nelson = 6

SR Boone = 0

JR Ryan = 0

WR:

Starter StPierre = 4

Starter Scott = 4

Recruit Savage = 0

Recruit Olsen = 1

Recruit Richardson = 1

TE:

Starter Bailey = 3

Recruit Morey = 2

Recruit Peterson = 2

OG:

Starter Clark = 6

Starter Bauer = 4

Recruit Brennan = 2

DT:

Starter Estrada = 6

Starter Murray = 3

Recruit McKinley = 2

Recruit Gonzalez = 1

ILB:

Starter May = 4

Redshirted Junior Gibson = 0

Recruit Sandoval = 3

OLB:

Starter Perry = 6

Starter Hay = 4

Recruit Edmonds = 2

CB:

Starter Gonzalez = 4

Starter Jones =6

SR Perkins = 2

JR Small = 1

JR Recruit Coleman = 3

Recruit Dunn = 1

Safeties:

Starter FS Masterson = 6

Starter SS Ingram = 7

SR SS Copeland = 1

Recruit FS Everett = -2

Punter:

Starter Shelton = 6

Recruit Barton = 4

Training Camp Week’s 2 and 3

These weeks we saw some major changes! I showed I wasn’t kidding this week and started taking people’s jobs away, and other people’s chances of playing, left and right. People were starting to become apathetic, and I cannot deal with apathy, so I made a mark on them and the results were worth it. QB Walker was close to being dethroned already, with Varela matching him during practice. Wright was eliminated from the QB competition. FB Nelson showed he deserved to be there, so I ended that race as well. WR Richardson was close to taking Scott’s place if it wasn’t for a dropped pass, while StPierre is slowly dwindling between average and below average. WR Olsen is slowly gaining traction while the other recruit, WR Savage slowly made his name known. TE Peterson blew up this week, while Bailey was demoted and taken out of the race altogether. OG Brennan is fighting OG Bauer for his job currently while Clark is set in stone now. ILB Gibson was taken out of the race altogether, while May and Sandoval are fighting to start. OLB Perry locked in his starting spot, while Edmonds is trying to close in on Hay but is losing the battle for the moment. CB Small was taken out of the running this week as well, while Coleman dominated, Dunn increased, Perkins remained the same, and Jones and Gonzalez stayed where they need to be. FS Everett was not doing well, so I moved him to SS to see how he’d play and sure enough, he started to be a dominate force! P Barton continued to make waves.

QB:

Starter Walker = 4

Recruit Varela = 4

HB:

Starter Smith = 7

Recruit Rivera = 3

WR:

Starter StPierre = 5

Starter Scott = 3

Recruit Richardson = 3

Recruit Olsen = 2

Recruit Savage = 1

TE:

Recruit Peterson = 5

Recruit Morey = 2

OG:

Starter Bauer = 3

Recruit Brennan = 3

DT:

Starter Estrada = 7

Starter Murray = 3

Recruit McKinley = 3

Recruit Gonzalez = 2

ILB:

Starter May = 3

Recruit Sandoval = 3

OLB:

Starter Hay = 4

Recruit Edmonds = 3

CB:

Starter Gonzalez = 5

Starter Jones = 5

SR Perkins = 2

JR Recruit Coleman = 5

Recruit Dunn = 2

Safeties:

Starter FS Masterson = 5

Starter SS Ingram = 8

Recruit SS Everett = 1

SR SS Copeland = 0

Punter:

Starter Shelton = 5

Recruit Barton = 4

Also during this week, Preseason Week 1 happened in the NFL. Here’s what the News Articles had to say about my guys.

James Givens: QB Givens did not play at all in Kansas City Chiefs 51-12 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

Michael Cook: T Cook had 2 pancakes and allowed 1 sack in the New Orleans Saints 27-17 loss to the Chargers.

Russell Sears: WR Sears and the Green Bay Packers lost, 14-9 to the Carolina Panthers, while WR Sears had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Steven Reynolds: DT Reynolds did not play on Sunday’s game with the Pittsburgh Steelers as they won, 24-20 against the San Francisco 49ers.

Louis Jackson: Seattle Seahawks defeated the Cleveland Browns, 26-22 and FS Jackson had 3 tackles during the game.

• 1 month later...

Training Camp Week 4

This week was a doozer! There’s only 6 weeks technically in the training camp, so it’s starting to near the end of calling for starters. QB Varela is pretty clearly earning the starting position, and is 1 point away from claiming it. HB Smith has earned it officially with 7 points. WR Starter Scott was taken out of the race when he went down with an ankle injury, as Richardson blowing up again this week means he can claim now that he is officially one of the starters. The second spot is still up for grabs. TE Peterson earned the starting role as well. OG Brennan seems to have beaten Bauer for the spot, but it is not official yet. DT Gonzalez has been eliminated, while Murray and McKinley fight for the second DT spot, as Estrada claims the first. The ILB race is close, with Sandoval slowly pulling ahead. Meanwhile OLB Edmonds has closed the gap in the race between him and Hay. CB Perkins was eliminated, while the rest of the race has become tighter than you’d expect. Safeties Ingram and Masterson both has earned their right to keep their starting positions. Meanwhile P Barton is still taking off…

QB:

Starter Walker = 2

Recruit Varela = 6

WR:

Starter StPierre = 3

Recruit Olsen = 3

Recruit Savage = 2

OG:

Recruit Brennan = 5

Starter Bauer = 2

DT:

Starter Murray = 3

Recruit McKinley = 3

ILB:

Recruit Sandoval = 4

Starter May = 3

OLB:

Starter Hay = 4

Recruit Edmonds = 4

CB:

Starter Gonzalez = 5

Starter Jones = 5

JR Recruit Coleman = 5

Recruit Dunn = 4

Punter:

Recruit Barton = 6

Starter Shelton = 3

Training Camp Week 5

With it almost nearing the final week of the camp, position battles is starting to be decided at an incredible pace. QB Varela was officially named the starter. WR StPierre was out of the race for WR#2, and Olsen was pulling ahead over Savage. OG Brennan was named the starter as well, over Bauer. DT McKinley was pulling ahead of Murray now, by a good margin but still was not yet announced the starter. ILB Sandoval was officially announced the starter over May, while OLB Edmonds wasn’t announced it yet though he has been pulling ahead in training camp. CB Coleman has earned the starting spot, while Jones was knocked out of the race. Gonzalez and Dunn are neck to neck in it so far. P Barton, to nobody’s surprise, claimed the starting spot. Here’s what a look at our dwindling position battles look like.

WR:

Recruit Olsen = 5

Recruit Savage = 3

DT:

Recruit McKinley = 6

Starter Murray = 2

OLB:

Recruit Edmonds = 5

Starter Hay = 2

CB:

Starter Gonzalez = 4

Recruit Dunn = 4

Week Six

WR Olsen claimed his spot starting, DT McKinley won his, OLB Edmonds won his, and though it was close, CB Dunn pulled ahead to earn his starting spot. Meanwhile during a conference call with the staff at FAU, I was told everybody had high hopes now that I was here. They expected to win the Sun Belt and come in 2nd in our conference. In our team meeting after the call, I announced our new game plans. For offense, we’ll be running a Smash Mouth since Coach Chadwick has the most experience with that and knows how to work with that. On defense, of course we’re going to be running a 3-4, for the exact same reasons with Coach Sherman. We have weaknesses in both of those set ups that we’re going to have to develop and overcome as the season goes on. During the scheduling for the out of conference games this season, we made a deal with Akron for Week 15, Eastern Michigan wanted to play us Week 2, and we asked to play the Houston Cougars Week 1. We sent an invitation to the Buffalo Bulls but they declined it so we accepted Toledo’s offer for Week 3 instead. So here’s a preview of what our schedule looks like:

Week 1 – Houston

Week 2 – at Eastern Michigan

Week 3 – Toledo

Week 4 – Louisiana-Laf *

Week 5 – Bye

Week 6 – at Louisiana-Tech *

Week 7 – North Texas *

Week 8 – at Ohio

Week 9 – at Louisiana-Monroe *

Week 10 – Bye

Week 11- Arkansas State*

Week 12 – at Troy *

Week 13 – Bye

Week 14 – at Florida International *

Week 15 – Akron

Looking over this schedule shows us that we’re in for quite the ride this year. The stars represent conference games. Houston we should win, Eastern Michigan is a toss up, I’d say we might lose, then we’ll be able to beat Toledo with a close game, Louisiana-Laf and Louisiana-Tech. North Texas should beat us, as well as Ohio and Louisiana Monroe. Arkansas State will be a tough challenge and I think they will pull off the win, then we can come back to defeat Troy, losing to Florida Int, and then finally ending with a win against Akron. I’m predicting an incredible 6-6 our first year, a huge bounce up from 3-9 last year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, it's mostly gameplanning. It's amazing how much effect it has and calling the plays as well. Finding where the defense is weak, and attacking it with everything you have. Sometimes you have to demote your starters to the 2nd and 3rd spots in order to pair them up against the defense accordingly. I've started to avoid doing that now, just because in real life that's not how it would work. However, that's how I was winning a bunch of games at that moment. Now however, from the seasons I've gone through already that I haven't posted, I can assure you even without trying to cheat the system you can still dominate. When you find the weak spots and you apply the pressure there, it's easy to push through with a win or some incredible stats off the match up. Thanks by the way for the compliments, I read it a while ago but it took me a little longer to write up the next few write ups... unfortunately with how little people are actually reading here, I probably won't keep up the writing as much as I have lately. Unless of course, I knew people were reading lol.

FAU Game One

Week 1:

(0-0) Houston vs. (0-0) Florida Atlantic

After a rough training camp, and a rigorous schedule, the team was ready to go out and play their first game. The amount of fans that showed up, 13,231 was astounding. Last year they had nearly half of those as regulars, and only a little more (9,420) was their top attendance record last year. The crowd is obviously pretty excited with me as their coach, I just hope my team can live up to their hype. We took the field to the sound of cheers, and awaited the kickoff.

First Quarter:

FAU 40: The kickoff was far, but a piling on penalty on Houston gave us better field positioning, and we took it at our 40 yard line. 1st down, QB Varela launches a deep pass, but it’s incomplete. 2nd down, the handoff to RB Smith is botched and they are tackled behind the line for a loss of one. 3rd down, we hand it to our FB Nelson, for no gain. P Barton punts the ball for 4th and 11, and it lands on the Houston 3! What a great punt!

HOU 3: 1st down they try and run the ball, and get 3 yards. 2nd and 7, they try to run it again and get 1 yard. 3rd and 6, our defense breaks down his offensive line and forces an incomplete pass. WR StPierre receives the punt, and runs it back to the Houston 30! 1st and 10, QB Varela hands it to RB Smith for about a yard. 2nd and 9, another running play to RB Smith gains another yard. 3rd and 8, QB Varela tries to throw it toward the sidelines but it’s overthrown, incomplete. K Dunlap tries for a 46 yard field goal, but misses! I’m obviously starting to get frustrated with our lack of offense.

HOU 28: 1st and 10, they try to run the ball but DE Beltran stops them for a loss of 4! 2nd and 14, they look to throw it but again our defensive line breaks down their offensive line and we force the QB to throw it incomplete. 3rd and 14 now, and the QB can’t find anyone open, incomplete pass. They punt it on 4th down, and WR Scott returns it 4 yards to the FAU 37.

FAU 37: 1st and 10, QB Varela finds WR Olsen who breaks free for 12 yards. 1st and 10 at the FAU 49, RB Smith gets a handoff and gains 3 yards on the play. 2nd and 7, FB Nelson gets the ball this time, and gains 5 yards. 3rd and 2, QB Varela fakes the pass and hands it to RB Smith who gains 4 yards and the first down! 1st and 10 at the HOU 39, QB Varela is sacked for a loss of 2. 2nd and 12, WR Richardson on the reverse, runs it for about 6 yards before getting stopped. C Thompson has to come out of the game due to his ankle, hopefully the doctors can get him back out there. 3rd and 6, RB Smith takes it up the gut for 3 yards. K Dunlap lines up for the 50 yard field goal, and it’s good! The score is Florida Atlantic 3, Houston 0. The kickoff puts them at the 20 after a touchback.

HOU 20: 1st and 10, they run the ball for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, our DE’s get to the QB and make him rush the throw, incomplete pass. 3rd and 6, they make a remarkable pass for 32 yards. 1st and 10, they try to run the ball but DT Mckinley is there for a loss of 3. 2nd and 13, a missed pass interference call saved us from a potential touchdown, incomplete pass. 3rd and 13, their QB is on fire, as they gain another 38 yards from their pass. 1st and 10 on FAU 9, they run the ball for a gain of 2. 2nd and 8, they try to run again but this time are taken down for a loss of 4. 3rd and goal at the FAU 11, the QB has nowhere to go and throws it out of bounds, but the referee calls it intentional grounding! 4th and goal at the FAU 23 now and they are forced to kick a field goal. However, during their field goal, FB Boone jumps up and blocks it! DE Ware recovers it and runs it to the FAU 27 for 11 yards! Our defense made an incredible goal line stop, and then the field goal block made the fans ignite with passion!

(2:41) FAU 27: 1st and 10, incomplete pass by QB Varela. 2nd and 10, QB Varela makes a terrible pass down the middle and gets it intercepted!

(2:19) FAU 39: Our defense needs to make another tough stop, and they aren’t put in the best of field position. 1st and 10, a run brings them 2 yards. 2nd and 8, pass play for 6 yards. 3rd and 2, another run play but DE Curry makes a huge stop for only 1 gain! 4th and 1, they attempt the field goal for 48 yards and it’s good, to tie the game! The score is Florida Atlantic 3, Houston 3.

(0:42) FAU 48: CB Coleman gets the kickoff, and returns it for 35 yards, but a piling on call against Houston again tacks another 15 yards onto the play and we get it on the 48! 1st and 10, QB Varela again overthrows his receiver and it’s incomplete. 2nd and 10, RB Smith runs the ball for 4 yards and that’s the end of the 1st quarter with the score tied, 3-3.

Second Quarter:

We’re doing good but we just have to keep it up, and our offense desperately needs to do something here. We don’t have long in the time out, but I explained to them I have faith in them, and look around… this crowd obviously does too.

HOU 48: 3rd and 6, RB Smith gets the ball again and runs it up the gut for 1 yard. P Barton comes out and kicks it out of the end zone, for a touchback.

HOU 20: 1st and 10, they run the ball and ILB May stops them for a gain of 1. 2nd and 9, incomplete pass due to the receiver cutting off the route, we got lucky again there. 3rd and 9, a screen pass gets them 14 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 35, quick pass for a gain of 3. Our defense put pressure on him with the rush, but still can’t get to him to sack him. 2nd and 7, a pass for 5 yards, and again our defense breaks down their offensive line. 3rd and 2, SS Ingram nails a hard hit on their running back for a loss of 3. 4th and 5, they punt the ball for no return at our own 23 yard line.

FAU 23: 1st and 10, RB Smith gets 3 yards on the run. 2nd and 7, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 2. 3rd and 5, another run by RB Smith gets 6 yards and the first down. FAU 34, 1st and 10 sees RB Smith take it up the middle for a gain of 11 yards and another first down! On our 45 yard line, 1st and 10, a false start pushes us back 5 yards. 1st and 15, QB Varela does a quick pass to TE Peterson for 1 yard. 2nd and 14, pass to WR Olsen for 2 yards. C Thompson was back in the game at the beginning of this quarter, but now it’s OG Clark who’s out with an injury to his finger. He’s out for the rest of the game. 3rd and 12, QB Varela gets sacked for a loss of 4. 4th and 16 sees P Barton punting, a great punt to the Houston 9.

(8:03) 1st and 10, ILB Sandoval gets a good hit for a loss of 1 on their running play. 2nd and 11, pass incomplete. 3rd and 11, DE Beltran nails the QB in the pocket sacking him, and making him fumble the ball! But it’s recovered by Houston for a loss of 4. On 4th and 15, they punt it to WR Scott who runs it back to the Houston 36.

(6:44) 1st and 10, RB Smith takes it up the gut but is stopped short of the line of scrimmage for a loss of 1 yard. 2nd and 11, screen pass to RB Smith for 12 yards and a first down! On the Houston 25, 1st and 10, the crowd is getting excited as QB Varela almost gets sacked but sidesteps him, and finds WR Olsen for 13 yards! 1st and 10 on the Houston 12, FB Nelson runs the ball for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, pitch to RB Smith for 5 yards. 3rd and 4, FB Nelson runs it up the middle for a gain of 3. 4th and 1, K Dunlap knocks in a 21 yard field goal. The score is Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 3. We kick the ball off and Houston gets it at their 7 yard line.

(3:50) 1st and 10, they run the ball for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, they run it again for 3 yards. 3rd and 3, they run it yet again, and this time gets 6 yards out of it and a first down. 1st and 10 on their own 20, and they run it up the middle for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, incomplete pass. 3rd and 5, they pass it for 8 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 33, a 39 yard pass later and they are on the FAU 28 with 1:21 to go in the quarter. 1st and 10, pass outside for 7 yards. 2nd and 3, a 21 yard pass is good and it’s a touchdown. The extra point is good, and the score is now Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10. The kickoff brings FAU to their own 17.

(0:44) FAU 17, 1st and 10, screen pass to TE Peterson gets us 11 yards. (0:33) FAU 28, 1st and 10, QB Varela runs the ball up the middle on the option play, for no gain. (0:18) FAU 28, 2nd and 10, QB Varela takes a knee to end the half with the score Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10.

Third Quarter:

Kickoff is good to Houston at their 16. 1st and 10, pass broken up and incomplete. 2nd and 10, handoff for 3 yards. 3rd and 7, another handoff gets them 7 yards and a first down. 1st and 10, pass to the outside for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, another pass this time for 1 yard. 3rd and 4, OLB Perry nails their wide receiver hard after catching the ball and makes him fumble! He jumps on the ball quickly and recovers it for FAU!

HOU 42, 1st and 10, this is our first drive after halftime. Hopefully the halftime speech meant something to them, and we’ll see them start to work together on offense, instead we get a false start. 1st and 15, QB Varela is sacked again, 2nd time this game, for a loss of 6 yards. 2nd and 21, quick pass to WR Olsen for 9 yards. 3rd and 12, QB Varela is sacked, 3rd time this game, 2nd time this possession, for a loss of 3. 4th and 15, P Barton makes a third amazing punt to the Houston 3.

HOU 3: 1st and 10, quick pass for 1 yard gain. 2nd and 9, a reverse play gets them another 9 yards. 1st and 10, long pass downfield for 23 yards. HOU 36, 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, another incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, their QB forces the pass off, and SS Copeland is there to intercept it!

FAU 30, 1st and 10, RB Smith goes up the middle for 9 yards. 2nd and 1, QB Varela gets sacked for the 4th time, for a loss of 1. 3rd and 2, RB Smith runs it back up the middle for a gain of 7 and a first down. FAU 45, 1st and 10, RB Smith gets no gain on this run. 2nd and 10, RB Williams is in for Smith, but also gets no gain on his run. 3rd and 10, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 13 yards and a much needed first down. HOU 42, 1st and 10, RB Williams gets a gain of 1 yard but TE Richardson gets an unnecessary roughness call on him for 15 yards. 2nd and 24, RB Smith gets stopped on this run play for a loss of 3 yards. 3rd and 27, QB Varela throws the ball incomplete deep down the field. 4th and 27, and P Barton is back out there, and punts the ball to the Houston 22.

HOU 22: 1st and 10, run play for a gain of 3. 2nd and 7, another run play this time for 1 yard. 3rd and 6, delay of game on the offense, 5 yard penalty. 3rd and 11, a pass to the outside for 13 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 34, they run the ball for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, a huge pass down the middle but CB Dunn sneaks up after the play and lands a huge hit, forcing another fumble! Dunn lands on top of the ball and pulls it in to recover it!

(3:21) HOU 43: 1st and 10, RB Smith runs it to the outside for 4 yards! 2nd and 6, quick pass to the outside for a gain of 1 yard. 3rd and 5, screen pass to TE Peterson, who bursts down the field for 12 yards! (2:02) 1st and 10 on HOU 26, RB Smith runs it up the middle for 1 yard. Handoff to WR Richardson for a gain of 7! 3rd and 2 on the HOU 18, QB Varela sets up the screen but the pass is dropped by TE Peterson! 4th and 2 and we have to settle for a field goal. K Dunlap is ready to kick the 36 yard field goal, but he misses! Wait, the referees call holding on Houston! Automatic 10 yards and a first down! (0:21) 1st and 10 on the HOU 9! Pass to WR Richardson by QB Varela for 2 yards. (0:14) 2nd and goal on the 7, handoff to FB Nelson who gets a gain of 4 yards! That’s the end of the 3rd Quarter, Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10.

Fourth Quarter:

3rd and goal on the Houston 3, and it’s a broken play! QB Varela runs it himself, slips a couple defenders and dives forward… and he gets it! A gain of 3 yards and a touchdown to open the 4th quarter! K Dunlap seals the deal, kicking the extra point in! The score is now Florida Atlantic 13, Houston 10. We kick the ball off but they get a good run back to the Houston 34.

HOU 34: 1st and 10, they fake a run and launch a pass downfield for 16 yards. 50 yard line, 1st and 10, another pass with plenty of time to throw it, for 10 yards. FAU 40, 1st and 10, a 1 yard pass gets them nothing, but ILB May gets called for pass interference! A terrible call, puts them on our 39 with another 1st down. 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, launches it downfield, but it’s picked off by CB Dunn! Dunn returns it 19 yards! Freshman Dunn now has two incredible plays, a forced fumble, and now an interception for this game!

(12:31) 1st and 10 on the Houston 44. RB Smith runs it up the middle for a gain of 1. 2nd and 9, incomplete pass but a holding call on us sets us back 10 yards. 2nd and 19 on our own 47 now puts us out of field goal range, but QB Varela makes a good decision to put us back in, by passing to WR Olsen for 11 yards. 3rd and 8 on HOU 42, QB Varela fakes a handoff to his RB and finds FB Nelson wide open for a gain of 18! (11:01) 1st and 10 on HOU 24, QB Varela looking for WR Richardson but throws the ball a bit too high for an incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, reverse to WR Richardson but is tackled in the backfield for a loss of 3 yards. 3rd and 13, incomplete pass to WR Richardson after getting hit as he throws, and Richardson getting hit as he tried to make the catch. 4th and 13, K Dunlap takes the field, and kicks the 45 yard field goal perfectly through the goal posts for another 3 points! The score is Florida Atlantic 16, Houston 10. So far on two of our drives in the 4th, both ended by putting points on the board. We kick the ball off to Houston who get a touchback.

(9:25) HOU 20, 1st and 10, Houston gets called for a false start. 1st and 15, DE Beltran makes himself known again, sacking the QB hard for a loss of 5 yards! Beltran is the only one who’s been able to sack their QB, and he’s done it twice! 2nd and 20 from their own 10, and it’s an incomplete pass. 3rd and 20, another incomplete pass brings up 4th down. 4th and 20, they punt the ball and WR Scott runs it back to the FAU 46.

(8:19) FAU 46, 1st and 10, RB Smith runs it with his blockers to the outside for a gain of 7. 2nd and 3, QB Varela finds WR Olsen has beat his man and places the ball perfectly for Olsen to catch it in stride, and with the footrace to the end zone, Olsen wins and gets a touchdown with a 47 yard play! We try for a 2 point conversion to put us up by two touchdowns, but it’s no good. The score is Florida Atlantic 22, Houston 10. We kickoff to Houston, who returns it 37 yards out of the end zone.

(7:16) HOU 37, 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, another incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, DT Mckinley gets to the QB, but the QB throws it… but the referee calls it a sack saying his knee was down! A loss of 3 on that play! 4th and 13, and they punt the ball to the FAU 23.

(6:00) FAU 23: 1st and 10, QB Varela tries with WR Olsen again, but it’s incomplete. 2nd and 10, RB Smith runs it up the middle for a gain of 8 yards! 3rd and 2, RB Smith takes it up the middle again, is stopped at the goal line and has to push forward, and gets it! 2 yards and a 1st down! (5:02) 1st and 10 on the FAU 33, QB Varela finds WR Richardson open down the field, but the referee says he didn’t have one foot in bound when he caught the ball. 2nd and 10, QB Varela sees WR Olsen wide open, but can’t get the ball off before he’s sacked for the 5th time for a loss of 6 but a flag is down. Offensive Pass Interference, for another 15 yards. (4:14) 3rd and 16 from our own 27. Fake handoff, QB Varela passes WR Richardson who picks up 15 yards making it 4th and 1 on our 42. P Barton comes onto the field and punts it to the Houston 11.

(3:22) HOU 11: 1st and 10, they run the ball for a 3 yard gain. 2nd and 7, a quick pass for 1 yard. 3rd and 6, another quick pass goes for 10 yards and a first down. (2:19) 1st and 10 on their own 25. They pass it to the outside, but their TE fails to make the catch, incomplete. (1:58, 2 minute warning.) 2nd and 10, we get pressure on the QB and force him to make a bad throw for an incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, they get a nice catch for a gain of 17 yards. (1:28) HOU 42, 1st and 10, 6 yard pass complete. Houston calls a time out at (1:04). 2nd and 4 on HOU 48, our defense applies the pressure to the QB again, but his WR drops his well placed pass to make it another incomplete pass. (0:57) 3rd and 4, another pressure filled defense catches the QB by surprise, but he connects a perfect pass to his WR, who again, drops it! (0:50) 4th and 4, our stadium has stood up to their feet, waiting expectantly cheering us on. They try for a quick pass and it’s caught, but CB Dunn saves the game by nailing him right in front of the first down marker, for a gain of 3! It’s a turnover on downs!

(0:43) FAU 49, 1st and 10, and QB Varela takes a knee. Houston calls their second timeout. (0:41) 2nd and 12, QB Varela takes another knee, and again Houston calls their last and final timeout. (0:38) 3rd and 14, QB Varela takes a knee but the clock leaves 8 seconds left, so P Barton comes out and punts it on 4th and 16, high and long, and by the time it hits outside the end zone, the 8 seconds are gone and the game is over! Final Score is Florida Atlantic 22, Houston 10.

Freshman QB Varela threw 16/27 for 181 yards, 1 touchdown, and 1 interception and ran it in for 1 touchdown.

RB Smith ran 24 times for 76 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Freshman WR Olsen caught 6 balls out of 8 targets for 94 yards and a touchdown.

Freshman WR Richardson led the pack however with 11 targets, but only 4 receptions for 32 yards and 3 runs for 10 yards.

The player(s) of the game, and the first time I’ve ever awarded the P.O.G. award to two people, go to our two amazing defensive players. 1st up is Freshman CB Forrest Dunn, with 3 tackles, 2 assists, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, and 2 pass deflections. Stopping them on a critical 4th down to end the game also really helped his team win. 2nd up would be Sophmore DE Donald Beltran who came up with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 stuff, 1 hurry, 1 deflected pass, and 1 forced fumble. He was all over the field, and nobody from Houston was safe from him when he was in. Both men were truly a force to be reckoned with, and I look forward to seeing how they play from here on out.

Next week, we’re up against the Eastern Michigan Eagles. Eastern Michigan is coming off of a loss to tough opponent, East Carolina. ECU would probably defeat us as well right now, so that’s not saying much against EMU. However, even against ECU, their secondary was incredible. They were able to limit ECU’s passing game to just 136 passing yards and they are currently ranked #54 against the pass nationally. It’ll be interesting to see how WR Olsen, WR Richardson, and QB Varela fair against the pass. Luckily we have RB Smith and RB Williams to switch it up and run the ball on them. My projections are that RB Smith will have a huge game next week, especially if we want to win.

The Owl Hoot:

Florida Atlantic Owls defeated the Houston Cougars yesterday, with a come from behind victory! It looked like Houston was going to defeat our home town heroes on our own field, leading 10-0 going into the 4th quarter. Then QB Varela and his coach, our new head coach, Geno Demarco, led his team to an inspiring 16 unanswered points to take their first game of the season and make it a win. By the end of the game, the entire stadium was standing on their feet, cheering this new team on under their new head coach. Could this be a sign of things to come? We certainly hope so!

Senior Journalist Major, Justin Christopher had this to say. “Out of all 4 years here, and 2 years at my community college, I have never seen such an exciting game. Like a lot of my friends here, we just about had given up on our football team, and under that new coach they have, Coach Demarco, I think we all have found this new hope. This guy is for real, and more importantly, this team… my team is for real.”

For now, this is Donald Avery saying have a hoot night!

This is very good. You should keep doing it

Thank you dude, I sincerely appreciate it. I decided to create something like a poll at the bottom so that people who are reading and enjoy it, can contribute. That way it can encourage both ways, me to keep writing them and you to keep reading. :) Hopefully it works out! Haha

Game Two

After this awesome performance last week, the players got treated like kings around the college. I warned them to be careful, and not party too hard as he had work to do on Monday. Now that the NFL Preseason is over, the NFL started this week also with Washington beating Chicago in Chicago’s home town. Our OG Clark who got taken out of the game last week due to an hyperextension in his finger, is doing much better now. Now that it is Saturday, game day, Coach Chadwick believes he’s good enough to play and I have no reason to distrust him so I let him make the final call and play him this week. Eastern Michigan arrived on the field rather early for their game, and after stopping for a breakfast meal, we arrived at their college. This week was going to be defining for both of our teams, as this was the first time in the history of FAU that they played EMU. After an impressive win at home against Houston, there was a lot on the table for the Owls against the Eagles this week.

Week 2:

(1-0) Florida Atlantic vs. (0-1) Eastern Michigan

1st Quarter:

FAU kicks the ball off to EMU, who returns it to the 34. However, immediately a flag is thrown on the play and EMU is called for clipping, a 15 yard penalty so they start on their 19. 1st and 10, EMU looks for a quick pass and gets it off for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, a pass down the middle gains EMU 28 yards. On their own 48 now, 1st and 10, they run the ball for a gain of 2 yards. 2nd and 8, ILB May gets to the QB for a sack with a loss of 11 yards! A flag is down, and it’s Holding on EMU! 3rd and 19 on their own 39, DE Curry this time is the one that gets there and brings down their QB for sack #2 and a loss of 12 yards! 4th and 31, they punt the ball and WR Scott returns it 18 yards to the EMU 45.

EMU 45: 1st and 10, a quick pitch to RB Smith, who drops the ball but recovers, and is tackled in the backfield for a loss of 2. 2nd and 12, handoff to RB Smith giving him a chance to redeem himself and he does, with a gain of 11 yards! 3rd and 1, RB Smith gets the ball for the 3rd time in a row, and powers himself through for a gain of 1 yard and the first down! EMU 35, 1st and 10, a running play to RB Williams this time gets 0 yards. 2nd and 10, QB Varela runs the option, holds onto the ball, and gains 11 yards! EMU 24, 1st and 10, QB Varela tries to run it himself but gets no gain. FB Nelson looks hurt on the play, and Doc says he won’t be back this game. 2nd and 10, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 6 yards on the pass. 3rd and 4, on play action QB Varela finds FB Clifford Ryan for a gain of 6 yards and a first down! EMU 12: 1st and 10, FB Ryan gets the ball to run, but gets stuffed for a loss of 3. 2nd and 13, a handoff to RB Smith gets a gain of 7 yards. 3rd and 6, another handoff to RB Smith gets us a gain of 4 yards, just short of a first down. 4th and 2, K Dunlap kicks a 22 yard field goal to put points on the board. The score is Eastern Michigan 0, Florida Atlantic 3. We kick the ball off and EMU return it to their 29.

EMU 29: 1st and 10, they run the ball but DT Mckinley stops them for a loss of 1. 2nd and 11, a missed pass interference call on our CB saved us from the penalty and made the pass incomplete. 3rd and 11, SS Ingram caught the QB looking for a loss of 11 yards on a sack! 3 sacks now for our defense! 4th and 21, WR Scott gets the punt and returns it to our own 38.

FAU 38: 1st and 10, an incomplete pass dropped by FB Ryan brings us no gain. 2nd and 10, a complete pass to WR Olsen for 10 yards is called back on a Holding Penalty and brings us to 2nd and 20. 2nd and 20, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for a nice pass, but again it’s called back by ANOTHER holding penalty on us. 2nd and 30 on our own 18 now, QB Varela finds WR Olsen up the line for 9 yards. 3rd and 21, RB Smith runs it up the sideline for 6 yards.

4th and 15, our nice punt by P Barton is returned for a touchdown by their WR! Their extra point kick is good. The score is now Eastern Michigan 7, Florida Atlantic 3. Their kickoff goes into our end zone for a touchback.

FAU 20: 1st and 10, quick toss to RB Smith is a loss for 2 yards. 2nd and 12, QB Varela places a perfect pass to WR Olsen for 82 yards and a touchdown! What an incredible play, our whole bench came undone and started cheering! K Dunlap’s extra point is good. The score is Eastern Michigan 7, Florida Atlantic 10. On kickoff, EMU gets the ball at their 38.

(03:10) EMU 38: 1st and 10, they try to pass the ball and complete a short pass but a flag is out. The call is on EMU, Offensive Pass Interference. 1st and 25, they run the ball for a gain of 8 yards. 2nd and 17, incomplete pass. 3rd and 17, a quick pass to the outside gains them 12 yards. 4th and 5, they punt the ball to our 13.

(01:24) FAU 13: 1st and 10, incomplete lob pass to RB Smith by QB Varela. 2nd and 10, handoff to RB Smith picks up 9 yards. 3rd and 1, RB Smith powers through the hole for a gain of 1 and a first down! FAU 23 (0:28), 1st and 10, pitch to RB Williams for 1 yard and that’s the end of the 1st quarter.

Second Quarter:

FAU 24, 2nd and 9, RB Smith gets the handoff and makes a beautiful run for 13 yards. 1st and 10, QB Varela hits WR Richardson for 10 yards after Richardson makes a beautiful catch before falling out of bounds. FAU 47, 1st and 10, RB Williams gets the hand off for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, RB Williams gets the ball again but this time is tackled for a loss of 1. 3rd and 10, QB Varela is hit as he’s thrown but gets the pass off to TE Peterson who catches it for 13 yards! EMU 40, 1st and 10, RB Smith pushes forward on the hand off for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, QB Varela fakes the handoff to RB Smith which the entire team bites on, and he finds WR Richardson wide open in the backfield! He’s tripped up after a long run for 38 yards! 1st and Goal on the 1 yard line, QB Varela again fakes the handoff which again fakes out the defense and he finds FB Ryan wide open in the end zone for a touchdown! K Dunlap kicks the extra point in perfectly. The score is Eastern Michigan 7, Florida Atlantic 17. We kick the ball off and EMU gets it at their 19.

EMU 19: 1st and 10, their QB looks for the long pass but DT Mckinley is there for the sack before he can throw it for a loss of 4! FS Masterson is down though, and we’re told it’s his spleen. He’s carried off the field. FS Green takes his place. 2nd and 14, they run the ball up the middle for 3 yards. 3rd and 11, they run the ball again, only getting 3 yards. 4th and 8, WR Scott returns it for 8 yards to our 34 yard line.

FAU 34: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith gains 4 yards on the play. 2nd and 6, incomplete pass to WR Richardson. 3rd and 6, handoff to FB Ryan but is stuffed in the backfield for a loss of 1 yard. 4th and 7, after a quick 3 and out we punt the ball to their 27.

EMU 27: 1st and 10, an incomplete pass gives them no yards. 2nd and 10, they run the ball but ILB Sandoval stops them for a loss of 2 yards. 3rd and 12, screen pass for 14 yards is good for the first down. 1st and 10, a run up the middle gets them 1 yard. 2nd and 9, another run to the outside picks up 4 yards for them. 3rd and 5, a pass down the middle, a cut to our weak FS, and it’s a 47 yard gain. 1st and 10 on FAU 9, and they pass it into the end zone for a touchdown and their extra point is good. The score now is Eastern Michigan 14, Florida Atlantic 17. They kick the ball off to CB Coleman who runs it up to our 17.

(5:16) FAU 17: 1st and 10, handoff to FB Ryan who gets 2 yards. 2nd and 8, QB Varela’s offensive line crumbles and he has to run it himself, and he gains 10 yards! 1st and 10, RB Smith runs the ball for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, QB Varela has to run it himself again and this time gains an impressive 18 yards! (4:02) EMU 48, 1st and 10, RB Smith gets a nice break for a run, and gains 10 yards on the play. EMU 38, 1st and 10, QB Varela finds RB Smith on the curl route for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, QB Varela throws it to RB Williams for a gain of 10! EMU 23, 1st and 10, handoff to RB Williams for a gain of about 1 yard. 2nd and 9, screen pass to TE Peterson is incomplete. 2 minute warning! 3rd and 9, QB Varela tosses to TE Peterson for 10, but he drops the pass! Incomplete! 4th and 9, K Dunlap attempts the 40 yard field goal, and it’s good! The score is Eastern Michigan 14, Florida Atlantic 20. Kickoff brings EMU to their own 33.

(1:14) EMU 33: 1st and 10, pass down the middle for 10 yards, and then EMU calls for a time out! (1:08) 1st and 10 on their 43, looks for a screen pass but OLB Edmonds is there for a sack and a loss of 9 yards! 2nd and 19 on their 34, they try the screen again and connect it for 13 yards and then they run out of bounds. (0:56) 3rd and 6, an incomplete pass down the middle gives up no yards. (0:49) 4th and 6, they punt the ball and it goes out of bounds at our 2 yard line.

(0:42) FAU 2: 1st and 10, QB Varela hits WR Richardson for 7 yards then he runs out of bounds. 2nd and 3, handoff to RB Smith is a loss for 2 yards. 3rd and 5, RB Smith runs up the middle for 5 yards and the 1st down, to run out the rest of the time on the clock. C Thompson went down with an injury to his head, and he’s not going to return to this game.

3rd Quarter:

They kickoff to us, and CB Coleman runs it to our 17. 1st and 10, QB Varela connects with WR Olsen for 6 yards. 2nd and 4, handoff to RB Smith for a gain of 5 yards. 1st and 10, QB Varela runs with it for a gain of 2 yards, fumbles the ball, but one of our own guys recovers it. 2nd and 8, QB Varela is running way from the pressure and finds WR Olsen for 26 yards. On the EMU 44, on 1st and 10, RB Smith runs the ball for a gain of 1 yard. 2nd and 9, handoff to RB Williams this time for a gain of 3. 3rd and 6, quick pass by QB Varela to WR Richardson for 1 yard, and it’s caught! FB Clifford Ryan went down with an injury, and will not be back this game either! 4th and 5, P Barton decides to come out and punt, landing it on their 6 yard line for no return.

EMU 6: 1st and 10, pass down the middle for 7 yards is complete. 2nd and 3, they get a nice run going but a flag on the play is Unnecessary Roughness on EMU, and it’s called back. 3rd and 5, DE Beltran is here and sacks the QB for a loss of 3! 4th and 8 and they punt it to WR Scott who downs it at the EMU 36. Great field positioning for our offense!

EMU 36: 1st and 10, toss to the outside to RB Smith, who is stopped for no gain. 2nd and 10, handoff to RB Smith is stopped behind the line for a loss of 4 yards. 3rd and 14, another handoff to RB Smith only gets a gain of 6 yards. 4th and 8, K Dunlap goes out there this time looking for the 52 yard field goal, but he misses! EMU recovers the ball on their 34!

EMU 34: 1st and 10, they run the ball for a gain of 3. 2nd and 7, incomplete pass brings up third down. 3rd and 7, they pass down the middle but the WR is tripped! They are looking for the call but instead, they get a flag on offensive holding! 4th and 7, punt to WR Scott who returns it 17 yards to our own 39.

(7:50) FAU 39: 1st and 10, a perfect pass to WR Richardson looks to be a touchdown, but he drops the pass! 2nd and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 6 yards. FB Boone is in the game now. 3rd and 4, penalty before the snap, and it’s a delay of game penalty. 3rd and 9, handoff to RB Smith for a loss of 2 yards. 4th and 11, a punt brings it to Eastern Michigan’s 13.

EMU 13: 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, a long pass after a fake handoff for 42 yards. FAU 45: 1st and 10, another incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, quick pass to the outside for 2 yards. 3rd and 8, pass down the middle for a gain of 17. 1st and 10 on the FAU 26, and their fans are starting to get behind them with their cheers. They hand off the ball but a flag is on the play, they only get 1 yard but there’s an illegal crackback block against EMU! 1st and 25 now on our 41, and they are out of field goal range! On 1st down they sail the ball out of bounds for an incomplete pass. 2nd and 25, they run the ball this time for a gain of 5. 3rd and 20, another incomplete pass for no yards. 4th and 20, and WR StPierre receives it this time, running it back to the 27.

FAU 27: 1st and 10, a holding play broke up the potential sack on QB Varela, and gives us 10 yards and an automatic 1st down. 1st and 10, RB Smith takes the handoff up the middle for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, another run to RB Smith for a loss of 2. OG Clark was injured and doesn’t look like he’ll be returning this game. 3rd and 7, QB Varela sees WR Richardson and connects with him for a gain of 35 yards. RB John Smith is injured, but he may return. 1st and 10 on the EMU 25, pass down the middle to RB Smith, he breaks away for the end zone, but he gets hit hard from behind and he fumbles! It’s recovered by EMU.

EMU 22: 1st and 10, handoff for a gain of 5. 2nd and 5, DE Beltran pulls down the QB for a sack and a loss of 7! 3rd and 12, the QB has to make a bad pass to avoid the sack, and it’s batted down for an incomplete pass. 4th and 12, punt to WR Scott who returns it for 14 yards to our 43 yard line. And that’s the end of the 3rd quarter.

4th Quarter:

1st and 10 on our own 43, and it’s a handoff to RB Smith for a loss of 3. 2nd and 13, incomplete pass to WR Richardson, and a holding penalty called on us, makes it 2nd and 23. Handoff to RB Smith for a gain of 3 yards. 3rd and 20, a quick pass on the outside to WR Richardson for 7 yards. 4th and 13, punt is returned to the 21, but then a piling on call against us moves them up to the 36.

EMU 36: 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, DE Curry sacks the QB, makes him fumble the ball, and it’s returned by FAU!

EMU 28: 1st and 10, FB Boone runs the ball for a gain of 7 on the play. 2nd and 3, handoff to RB Smith for a loss of 4 yards. 3rd and 7, QB Varela finds TE Peterson open in the backfield and launches a long ball… and it’s caught! 25 yards down the field and it’s a touchdown! QB Varela does a hurry up offense to set up a screen to TE Peterson and their 2 point attempt is good! The 2 point conversion is good! The score is Eastern Michigan 14, Florida Atlantic 28. This might have sealed the win for us, as we kick it off and EMU gets the ball at their 30 yard line.

(11:01) EMU 30: 1st and 10, they run the ball for a gain of 11. 1st and 10, a gain of 13 on this pass, but a holding call called on FAU, a terrible call, gives them 10 more yards and an automatic first down. 1st and 10 on the FAU 46, handoff gets them about 1 yard. 2nd and 9, another handoff brings them another minimal gain of 2 yards. 3rd and 7 on our 43, and incomplete pass down field brings out their punter and with that punt, we get it on our 4 yard line.

(08:42) FAU 4: 1st and 10, we’re trying to run the clock down by giving it to RB Smith for no gain. 2nd and 10, a quick pass to the outside, it’s behind our WR Olsen, and it’s intercepted! Ran back for a touchdown, the extra point kick is good, and now the lead is shortened. The score is Eastern Michigan 21, Florida Atlantic 28. Kickoff to CB Coleman who brings it to the 26.

(07:48) FAU 26: 1st and 10, fake handoff but they didn’t bite, QB Varela goes down with a sack for a loss of 4. 2nd and 14, QB Varela fakes running it himself, and throws a long ball to WR Richardson! It’s caught for a gain of 46 yards! EMU 32, 1st and 10, FB Boone gets the handoff for a gain of 4 yards, but an offsides call on EMU gives us another 5! It’s 1st and 5 on the EMU 27, but QB Varela throws an incomplete pass to WR Olsen, they just weren’t on the same page. 2nd and 5, but QB Varela is determined and finds WR Olsen with a step on his man going to the end zone, he lobs it up and Olsen brings it back down, touchdown! K Dunlap’s extra kick is good, and the score now is Eastern Michigan 21, Florida Atlantic 35. We kick the ball off and EMU gets the ball at their 15 to start.

(05:59) EMU 15: 1st and 10, quick pass to the outside, runs out of bounds after a gain of 6. 2nd and 4, handoff for a gain of 1 yard, and again ran out of bounds. 3rd and 3, incomplete pass. 4th and 3, they punt it and we get it at our 42 yard line.

(04:32) FAU 42: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for a loss of 3 on the play. We’re just trying to run the clock out now. 2nd and 13, another handoff to RB Smith for a gain of 2. 3rd and 11, QB Varela overthrew TE Peterson on the sideline route, and gets no yards. 4th and 11, a great punt by P Barton that gives EMU the ball at their own 7 yard line!

(02:58) EMU 7: 1st and 10, pass down the middle for a gain of 12. 1st and 10, incomplete pass while QB was on the run from the pressure. 2nd and 10, we force the QB to make a bad pass again, this time right into the FS Green’s hands! Green runs it back for a touchdown and K Dunlap’s extra point is good! The score is Eastern Michigan 21, Florida Atlantic 42! We kick the ball off to EMU who brought it to their 44 yard line.

(1:56) EMU 44: 1st and 10, good screen pass to the outside, they gain 13 yards. 1st and 10 on our own 43, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, we again force the QB to throw it, and CB Reginald Coleman intercepts the ball! He returns it 10 yards before finally getting stopped, at our own 41.

(1:30) FAU 41: 1st and 10, run from RB Smith for a loss of 3 yards. Eastern Michigan calls for a time out! 2nd and 13, another hand off for 5 yards, but unnecessary roughness called on TE Peterson and now it’s 3rd and 23 on our own 28. (0:55 left.) Handoff to RB Smith again for a gain of 3 yards. 4th and 20, a punt is returned to their own 35.

(0:35) EMU 35: 1st and 10, a huge pass down the sideline for a gain of 59 yards! (0:28) FAU 6, 1st and Goal, incomplete pass to the sidelines, and DE Curry is out with an injury though he may return! (0:21) 2nd and Goal, quick pass down the middle for a gain of 2. Eastern Michigan calls their last and final timeout. (0:15) FAU 4: 3rd and Goal, screen pass manages to get away from our defense and they score, touchdown! They score the extra point, which makes the score now Eastern Michigan 28, Florida Atlantic 42. They try for the onside kick, but our team recovers it at the 47! And that’s the end of the game!

Our defense was definitely the star of the show here, with 8 sacks for a combined loss of 64 yards, 2 interceptions for returns of 39 yards, 1 forced fumble, and 499 total yards! Our QB Varela went 20/29 for 366 yards, 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. RB Smith ran the ball 34 times for 86 yards. WR Olsen got 5 receptions for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns! WR Richardson got 8 receptions for 150 yards!

The Owl Hoot:

Florida Atlantic Owls defeated the Eastern Michigan Eagles this week, in an impressive victory! The Owls took the lead early on, and kept it, not only matching every point the Eagles tried to put up, but nearly doubling those points every single time! We’re looking forward to what the Owls can do from here on out, and you can already tell on campus that we’re not the only ones who think that… the entire campus is starting to get behind this team!

For now, this is Donald Avery saying have a hoot night!

[b][i]Week 3 we take on the 0-2 Toledo, who comes out the victor, 
and what do you think the final score will be?[/i][/b]

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty then...

Game Three

After an amazing past two weeks, Toledo comes to us this week. Our C Sammie Thompson has to sit out this week due to doctors orders, after a pretty decent week last week, though he got knocked out of the game twice. This week our back up Kevin Martinez needs to step in for him, though he’s a below average center. FB Nelson is feeling not 100% though we’re going to play him anyway. 12,414 people in attendance for this week’s game.

(0-2) Toledo vs. (2-0) Florida Atlantic

1st Quarter:

CB Coleman is set to receive the kickoff to start the game from Toledo, and after a couple great blocks, brings it back to the 45! FAU 45; 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, overthrown pass to WR Richardson, incomplete. 3rd and 9, another handoff to RB Smith for 4 yards. 4th and 5, P Barton nails it to the Toledo 6 with no return.

TOL 6: 1st and 10, they run it for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, they try a reverse on us and SS Ingram pulls him down in the backfield for a loss of 3. 3rd and 9, a long pass to the FB, but he’s lit up by CB Coleman! He fumbles the ball and FAU recovers it! DT Estrada takes the ball and runs it back 19 yards for the touchdown! K Dunlap’s PAT is good. 7-0, FAU! We kick the ball off and they return it to their 24 yard line.

TOL 24: 1st and 10, they try a reverse and CB Dunn catches them for a loss of 1. 2nd and 11, a 47 yard pass on the play sets them up nicely. FAU 30: 1st and 10, a pass is almost intercepted but it’s incomplete. 2nd and 10, ILB May catches their RB behind the line for a loss of 2. 3rd and 12, incomplete pass thanks to a nice hit from our DE Beltran. However he’s holding his elbow, and the on field docs say he won’t be back today. 4th and 12, they miss the 50 yard field goal and it’s a turnover on downs.

FAU 32: 1st and 10, incomplete pass from QB Varela because it’s overthrown again. 2nd and 10, an option play and QB Varela keeps it, running for 7 yards. 3rd and 3, 35 yard run from RB Smith but a holding is called and brings us back, now it’s 3rd and 13. An out pass is incomplete, and P Barton punts it on 4th and 13 to the Toledo 44, but a facemask call gives them 5 more yards to their 49.

TOL 49: 1st and 10, a quick run to the outside gets no gain. 2nd and 10, a 10 yard pass is caught down the middle. FAU 41: 1st and 10, 1 yard pass. 2nd and 9, incomplete pass as our D line gets pressure on the QB. 3rd and 9, they find right down the sideline beating CB Dunn for a 40 yard touchdown pass… their extra point is good. 7-7. They kick it to the end of our end zone for a touchback.

FAU 20: 1st and 10, a 13 yard pass to WR Olsen is good, but an ineligible receiver call is on us and makes it 1st and 15 now. A screen pass to TE Peterson is the call, and he runs it up the sidelines for 14 yards. 2nd and 1, handoff to RB Smith for 4 yards and the 1st down. FAU 33: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith gets 7 yards but a face mask call is on Toledo! FAU 45, 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, pass is high from QB Varela to WR Olsen incomplete. 3rd and 9, QB Varela finds WR Olsen for a long pass, but Olsen drops it! 4th and 9, and P Barton punts it for no return to the Toledo 2.

TOL 2: 1st and 10, they try a screen pass to the outside but CB Coleman bites the run and charges in, catching the RB in the end zone for a safety! 9-7, we take the lead! RB Coleman returns the kick to the Toledo 48 for a 24 yard return.

TOL 48: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, QB Varela is sacked for 1 yard. 3rd and 6, false start. 3rd and 11, handoff to RB Smith for 1 yard, but another face mask is called on Toledo for 15 yards and an automatic first down! TOL 33: 1st and 10, handoff run to RB Smith for 7 yards. 2nd and 3, handoff to FB Nelson for 3 yards and the first down! TOL 23, 1st and 10, QB Varela fakes the handoff and finds WR Olsen in the end zone for a touchdown! A 23 yard pass is good, and K Dunlap’s PAT is good! 16-7, we’re in the lead as the 1st quarter ends!

2nd Quarter:

Barton kicks the ball off to the Toledo 17. TOL 17: 1st and 10, they run the ball for no gain. 2nd and 10, they try to run it again but only get 2 yards. 3rd and 8, incomplete pass. 4th and 8, they punt to WR Scott who brings it back to the 49 for a return of 8 yards.

TOL 49: 1st and 10, an incomplete pass to WR Olsen is again, a little high. 2nd and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 1 yard. 3rd and 9, handoff to RB Smith picks up 9 and the first down. TOL 39: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 3 yards but Smith is down. He’s injured and he is walked off the field, but on field doctors say he should return. 2nd and 7, toss to RB Williams who’s in for Smith gains 14 yards! TOL 22: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Williams for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, RB Smith is back in for a gain of 2 yards. 3rd and 3, QB Varela targets TE Peterson, but it’s an incomplete pass. 4th and 3 on the TOL 15, and K Dunlap kicks a good 33 yard field goal extending our lead 19-7. Barton kicks the ball off to the TOL 19.

TOL 19: 1st down, they run the ball and gain 14 yards. TOL 33: 1st and 10, they run the ball for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, incomplete pass. 3rd and 6, pass to the outside, he runs to the end zone, he almost gets in but SS Copeland punches it out and forces the fumble! He picks it up and runs it back to the FAU 20!

FAU 20: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, pass from QB Varela to WR Richardson for 49 yards down the middle! TOL 27: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for 3 yards. 2nd and 7, handoff to RB Smith again for another 2 yards. 3rd and 5, pass for no gain. 4th and 5, K Dunlap attempts a 40 yard field goal, but misses.

TOL 22: 1st and 10, pass to their RB for 8 yards. 2nd and 2, incomplete pass. 3rd and 2, another incomplete pass. 4th and 2, punt to WR Scott who returns it to the TOL 47 for a return of 26 yards.

TOL 47: 1st and 10, QB Varela passes to RB Smith for 15 yards. TOL 32: 1st and 10, QB Varela bombs it to WR Richardson, for a gain of 19. TOL 13: 1st and 10, handoff to RB Smith for a gain of 6 but a flag is called, face mask on Toledo! TOL 3: 1st and Goal, handoff to RB Smith for a gain of 1 yard. 2nd and Goal on TOL 2, toss to RB Smith is stopped for no gain. 3rd and Goal, QB Varela passes it to WR Richardson for a touchdown, but the referee has thrown a flag! Holding against Florida Atlantic! 4th and Goal on the TOL 2, K Dunlap kicks the field goal but misses the 20 yarder! Wait, flag… defensive holding! 1st and 10 on the TOL 1! Handoff to RB Smith through the middle and he’s in! Touchdown! K Dunlap kicks the extra point in, and it’s good. Our lead extends now, to 26-7. Barton kicks the ball off and it’s returned to the Toledo 16 with (1:21) left in the 2nd quarter.

TOL 16: 1st and 10, incomplete pass. DE Wood is hurt on the play and doesn’t look like he will return. 2nd and 10, screen pass gain for 5 yards. 3rd and 5, 18 yard pass but it’s called back due to a holding call on Toledo. (0:59) TOL 11: 3rd and 15, pass is complete to their TE for 18 yards. TOL 29: 1st and 10 (0:43), quick pass gains them 2 yards. FAU Timeout #1. TOL 31, 2nd and 8 (0:16), Toledo takes a knee to end the half.

HALFTIME

Toledo 7, Florida Atlantic 26

OOC: I decided to change up my writing style to be more of a summary, as I’ve noticed it takes a bit long to write out the results play by play the way I started out doing.

3rd Quarter:

Toledo’s Ball: We kick the ball off and they start with it on their own 9. They push it up the field a good amount, and SS Ingram forces a fumble through one of his hard hits, but Toledo recovers it. A holding call down on our own 36 gave them a good field position as they continued pushing down. ILB May got hurt and won’t be returning this game. We stopped them finally at 4th and 1 on our own 17, and they knocked in a 35 yard field goal to try and close the gap in the score.

FAU’s Ball: CB Coleman gets the kickoff and brought it to Toledo’s 45. QB Varela on 2nd down, dumps it to RB Smith when his receivers weren’t open and RB Smith charges down field for a gain of 42! QB Varela on the next down runs the option, fakes the pitch, and runs it into the end zone for a touchdown! K Dunlap’s extra point is good. TOL 10, FAU 33.

Toledo’s Ball: A touchback on the kickoff gave them the ball on their 20. After a quick 3 and out, they were forced to punt the ball.

FAU’s Ball: WR Scott returns it to our 33. We wound up going 3 and out ourselves, and had to punt it back to them with (3:59) left on the 3rd quarter play clock.

Toledo’s Ball: They return the punt to their 31 yard line. They start pushing up the field, passing our 50 yard line and into field goal territory. However they don’t get close enough and have to eventually punt it to end the 3rd quarter.

4th Quarter:

FAU’s Ball: They punt it to our 13 for no return. A handoff to RB Smith is stopped as Smith is hit hard and fumbles the ball!

Toledo’s Ball: They get it on our 10 yard line, and it doesn’t take long before they find themselves in the end zone for a touchdown! They try to go for 2 but they are sacked instead. TOL 16, FAU 33.

FAU’s Ball: SS Copeland gets the kickoff and returns it to our 37 yard line. They force it down past the 50 yard line, and a pass to WR Olsen looks like it’s going to be a touchdown but Olsen is hit and fumbles the ball. Toledo recovers and brings it to their 44 yard line.

Toledo’s Ball: We did a good job of stopping them until we got a face mask penalty called on us. Even though they were put on our 46 yard line after the penalty, we still were able to stop them and force them to punt.

FAU’s Ball: A touchback punt gave us the ball on our 20. A holding call works to our advantage giving us an automatic first down. 9 minutes left in the game. We get another penalty, face mask on the defense that helps us out a lot. FB Nelson was injured on the run from QB Varela to Toledo’s 13 and won’t return. We eventually got it to 4th and 1 on their 4 yard line, and K Dunlap kicked in the 22 yard field goal. Toledo 16, FAU 36.

Toledo’s Ball: They get the ball on their own 14. We make them go 3 and out, and they punt it to our 43 yard line.

FAU’s Ball: With (3:55) left in play, we tried to run the clock out. QB Varela forces the ball on 2nd down into tight coverage and gets it intercepted on the Toledo 24.

Toledo’s Ball: (3:18) two passes, one being a 64 yard pass later, and Toledo is in the end zone for the touchdown. Their extra point kick was good. Toledo 23, Florida Atlantic 36.

FAU’s Ball: They go for the onside kick but we recover it on our own 44. (2:00 minute warning called.) We go 3 and out and on the punt, we’ve brought the clock down all the way to (0:59).

Toledo’s Ball: (0:59) They get the ball to start on their 2 yard line from our amazing punter. We force their QB to throw the ball out of fear, and SS Copeland returns the favor with an interception! He returns it 36 yards!

FAU’s Ball: (0:24) A couple hand offs make Toledo waste a couple time outs, the QB takes a knee to get the clock down to (0:02) then K Dunlap kicks a 27 yard field goal to end the game.

Florida Atlantic defeats Toledo, 39 - 23.

• 1 month later...

FAU Game 4

C Sammie Thompson is still dealing with his severe concussion, and although he is able to play, we’re going to let him sit one more week till he’s 100% again. DE Beltran sprained his elbow last week against Toledo, but we’re going to go ahead and let him play this week. DE Wood hurt his wrist last week, and we’re going to let him sit out this week until we can find out fully what’s wrong with it. We’re thinking it’s just a bruise but we’d rather be safe than sorry. FS Masterson bruised his abdomen last week but recovered very nicely and should be playing this week. C Martinez is going to start his second game this week for Thompson, while DE Weir is going to get a chance to start this week in place of Wood.

(1-2) Louisiana-Laf vs. (3-0) Florida Atlantic

We’ve already been talked about a lot this year, as we’ve already matched the wins they had last year in the first 3 weeks of the season. 14,127 people came to this week’s game.

First Quarter:

ULL’s Ball: ULL get the ball first off the kickoff. On 3rd and 3, they break tackles on the outside and are able to break free for a 30 yard run. A holding call on CB Coleman gives ULL 10 yards and a good first down. 3rd and 11, they look to handoff and get about 4 yards, but their QB goes down hurt, it doesn’t look like he’ll return! The 42 yard field goal is good, and ULL goes up 3-0.

FAU Ball: We get the ball on our own 33. C Martinez gets called for an ineligible receiver downfield causing a 1st and 15. 3rd and 15, OG Clark goes down with an injury to his hamstring, but the doctors say he should return. After a 3 and out, we have to punt the ball.

ULL Ball: They get the ball after the punt on their 38. Their first play is a 37 yard pass, they are exposing our secondary for sure, as well as our CB’s who keep getting beat. We knock down their QB hard, and their 2nd string QB is now injured! It doesn’t look like he will return either. We’re able to stop them on 3rd and 6 for a gain of only 4 yards and they are forced to kick a field goal, which is good. ULL takes the lead, 6-0.

FAU Ball: We get the ball on our 37, but again we go 3 and out and have to punt the ball.

ULL Ball: They get the ball on their own 4 after our punt. We make them go 3 and out now to get the ball back, 5 minutes left in the 1st.

FAU Ball: We wind up starting the ball this time on our 49. QB Varela on 3rd down finds WR Richardson for 29 yards putting us in field goal territory on the ULL 19. 3rd and 8, QB Varela finds WR Richardson again on the long ball, 17 yard reception is brought in and it’s a touchdown! K Dunlap’s kick is good. FAU 7, ULL 6.

ULL Ball: Touchback gives them the ball at the 20. 3rd and 2, DE Curry nails their RB hard and forces the fumble! Curry recovers it by diving on it!

FAU Ball: On the ULL 27, we’re able to get a couple nice runs up to the ULL 10. QB Varela finds WR Richardson again on the post route and Richardson brings the ball down for a 10 yard touchdown! The extra point is good by K Dunlap! FAU 14, ULL 6.

ULL Ball: With 1:27 left in the 1st, ULL gets the ball on their 15. Just as the clock reaches 0, we’re able to make them go 3 and out and punt the ball.

2nd Quarter:

FAU Ball: After the punt we get the ball on the ULL 41. A holding call brings us to the 31, where QB Varela looked too long at his receiver and gets his throw intercepted and returned to the 24.

ULL Ball: Although they got off the interception and had momentum, our defense was able to stop them for a quick 3 and out.

FAU Ball: We get the punt on our 29. Two runs and 1 first down later, WR Olsen broke the other way that QB Varela threw it and the ball is intercepted again on our own 45, and is returned 10 yards to our 35 yard line.

ULL Ball: Another interception that gave them the momentum, and they start pushing it up to our 22. A nice run gives them 1st and goal on our 2 yard line, and the next play they pass it right into our end zone for a touchdown. Their extra point was good, which tightened our lead to 1, FAU 14, ULL 13.

FAU Ball: With 9 minutes left in the half, we take the kickoff and run it back to our 24. FB Nelson on 2nd down, hurt his wrist and had to come out, though he should return shortly. We wind up going 3 and out, and punting the ball.

ULL Ball: The punt goes to the ULL 19 with no return. Our defense was out to play this time and stopped them hard, for a 3 and out and force them to punt as well.

FAU Ball: Their punt to us is returned to the ULL 42. We start pushing it into their end zone, finding WR Olsen for 10 yards. We push it up a bit more with some run plays, making it 1st and 10 on the ULL 13. A pass to WR Olsen over the top is perfectly placed for a 13 yard gain and a touchdown! The extra point is good, which makes it FAU 21, ULL 13.

ULL Ball: A little less than 3 minutes in the half, and ULL gets a touchback to get the ball on their 20. Their first play, ILB May plants his feet and catches their WR with a huge hit and forces the fumble! May recovers it for a 2 yard gain and it’s FAU ball on the ULL 23!

FAU Ball: We make it to 4th and 2 on the ULL 15, when K Dunlap kicks the 33 yard field goal and it’s good. FAU 24, ULL 13.

ULL Ball: 1 minute left in the half, and they get the kickoff on their own 21. DE Beltran goes down on a huge run from them gaining them 27 yards. Beltran is out for the rest of the game. (0:13 left in the game) they can’t complete the pass and it’s 4th and 8 on the 50 yard line.

FAU Ball: We receive the punt on our 14 with 0:04 seconds left on the clock. QB Varela takes a knee to go into the half leading, Florida Atlantic 24, Louisiana-Laf 13.

Third Quarter:

FAU Ball: They kick the ball off to us and we return it to our 19. After a simple 3 and out, we wind up having to punt it.

ULL Ball: They get the ball after the punt on their 35. FS Masterson on their first play steps in front of the receiver and intercepts the ball! He returns it for 16 yards to the 50.

FAU Ball: We start pushing it up slowly and then a run from RB Smith for 12 yards puts us in 1st and 10 position on the ULL 22. QB Varela finds WR Richardson on 3rd and 8 for 17 yards and we’re on the 1 yard line! Handoff to RB Smith the next play and it’s in, touchdown! K Dunlap’s extra point is good, and we’ve extended our lead FAU 31, ULL 13.

ULL Ball: With 8 and a half minutes left, ULL receives the kickoff at the 29 yard line. On 2nd and 9, they get a 23 yard pass off putting them on our own 47. After that long break, they can’t find anyone open on the next few plays and they are forced to punt.

FAU Ball: (6:04) The punt is past the end zone for a touchback. 3 and out, and another punt coming ULL’s way.

ULL Ball: ULL returns the punt to their 31. They push their way for a first down, then get a pass off for 36 yards making it 1st and 10 on our 20 yard line. 2nd and 11, they get a 17 yard run off on us bringing it to 1st and goal on our 4. We’re able to stop their 3 runs though, making them kick the 22 yard field goal and it’s good. FAU 31, ULL 16. That’s the end of the 3rd.

4th Quarter:

FAU Ball: Touchback after the kickoff gives us the ball at the 20. QB Varela finds a 1st down on a run, then finds WR Richardson for 18 to the ULL 49. FB Nelson hurt his knee and is out for the rest of the game. It looked like a potential punt was coming, but a roughing the passer call on ULL helped us out a lot and put us on their 36. TE Peterson gives them the first down on 3rd and 5, and then QB Varela finds him for 22 yards putting us on the ULL 3. TE Peterson then is open in the end zone where QB Varela finds him for 3 yards and a touchdown on 3rd down. K Dunlap’s extra point is good, and our lead is FAU 38, ULL 16.

ULL Ball: Kickoff results in a touchback. 10 minutes left to play, their QB is sacked for a loss of 12, and it’s 4th and 21 forcing them to punt.

FAU Ball: (8:32) We return the punt to the ULL 39. On 2nd and 10, a pass by QB Varela is intercepted again! It’s returned 46 yards to our own 34.

ULL Ball: (7:45) They try to use the momentum to get back in the game, but the FAU defense isn’t making it easy. FS Masterson is injured on 3rd and 13, he’s out for the game. 4th down and they have to punt it.

FAU Ball: (5:57) We get the ball on our 3. Reverse to WR Richardson on 3rd and long, and we get a gain of 27 yards. We’re on our own 31 still, but slowly pushing forward that field goal range. Unfortunately we don’t push very far and have to punt it after two looks to WR Richardson didn’t go anywhere.

ULL Ball: (3:59) They get the punt at their own 21. A quick pass 1st down gets them 47 yards! On our own 32, we get a sack! (2:53) CB Dunn on their 2nd down intercepts the ball!

FAU Ball: (2:05) on our own 20. After the 2 minute warning, FAU doesn’t get much with their runs and wind up having to punt it.

ULL Ball: They get the punt on their own 29. (1:15) left to play. They get a pass off for 1 yard then call a timeout. Their second play gets them 8 yards, but nothing too great right now. Louisiana-Laf calls their second timeout! (1:03) Their third play winds up getting intercepted again, this time by ILB May!

FAU Ball: (0:55) Handoff play on 1st and 10 on our 29 yard line. A handoff to RB Smith for 8 yards and Louisiana-Laf calls their final timeout. (0:27) QB Varela takes a knee to end the game, Florida Atlantic – 38, Louisiana-Laf – 16.

We got some tape this week of some of our possible recruit targets for this next year, and this is what we’re seeing so far from the ones who’ve asked to come visit:

Update on current recruit targets for next year:

WR H. Olsen is playing for Big Rapids (3) competitive level school in Michigan. So far he’s racked up 13 receptions, for 178 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 3 pass deflections on defense. He’s very interested in our school.

WR S. Rosado is playing for Kingstree (3) in South Carolina. He has 8 receptions, for 156 yards, 1 touchdown, and 3 pass deflections on defense. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.

OLB S. Livingston is playing for St. Thomas Aquinas (1) in Florida. He has 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 66 rushing yards, and he’s averaging 3.2 yards per carry. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school which has increased from being very interested.

OG D. Benoit is playing for Chapman (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, but he is 6’6, 265 lbs and he’s extremely interested in playing for us which has increased from very interested.

Off topic for a second, Geneva Bible has started off this year at an incredible 0-4! Florida International and Arkansas State are undefeated in our conference, while overall FIU is 3-1 and ARKS is 1-4, their only win was inside our conference. Last Week, DE Weir who started in for DE Wood recovered 1 of the fumbles, but was pretty much unheard of the entire game besides that. DE Wood will regain his starting position this week. C Martinez had 3 missed blocks that last game, none that were too crucial but still, it’s pretty unacceptable. However we’re going to sit C Thompson out one more week to make sure he’s perfectly fine, though he should see a lot more time in practice this week.

FAU GAME FIVE

(4-0) Florida Atlantic vs. (1-4) Louisiana Tech

First Quarter:

During LATC’s first possession, we sack them twice in a row for a safety! Florida Atlantic 2, Louisiana Tech 0.

On our first possession, we move it down the field and RB Smith runs it 11 yards for a touchdown! Florida Atlantic 9, Louisiana Tech 0.

LATC punts on their second possession, 3 and out.

23 yard pass on our possession from QB Varela to TE Peterson is a touchdown! Florida Atlantic 16, Louisiana Tech 0.

LATC starts pushing it up the field until CB Coleman intercepts the ball!

We wind up punting it after a few first downs back to them.

Second Quarter:

LATC starts with the ball on our 45, launches a long ball and FS Masterson comes up with the pick!

We get stopped short on the 6 yard lines and have to settle for a 24 yard field goal attempt, but K Dunlap misses it!

LATC pushes it to the 50 but winds up having to punt it.

We get the ball on our 9 yard line, and after a quick 3 and out, we punt it back to them.

LATC winds up having to punt it after a 3 and out of their own. 3 minutes left until halftime.

We brought it to the LATC 18 yard line, but were forced to try for another field goal. 36 yarder is… no good again!

LATC’s ball with 46 seconds left in the half. On 4th and 8, we call a timeout to stop the clock after two incomplete passes and a 2 yard run.

We return the punt to the 43 with 0:22 left in the half. Quick pass for a gain of 4 and we have to call our second timeout with 0:16 left. Another pass for a gain of 9 brings us to the 44 yard line and makes us use our last timeout for 0:08 left. A long pass goes for 23 yards to WR Olsen to the LATC 21 yard line! He steps out of bounds with 0:01 second left! 39 field goal from K Dunlap is up, and it’s good to end the half! Florida Atlantic 19, Louisiana Tech 0.

3rd Quarter:

We start with the ball on the kickoff, and force it down the field for a touchdown! FAU 26, LATC 0.

LATC starts pushing the ball toward our side of the field, but eventually has to punt.

We make it back to the red zone, and kick a 35 yard field goal is good this time for K Dunlap!

3 and out from LATC forces a punt back to us.

This time K Dunlap kicks a 26 yard field goal good! FAU 32, LATC 0.

LATC gets an 83 yard kick return, and then a touchdown shortly after! FAU 32, LATC 7.

4th Quarter:

We punted to them after not getting very far.

They got to 4th and 1, looked like they had to punt, but instead they went for it and got it! But it didn’t give much results as they had to punt the next possession.

Getting the ball on our 7 got us 1 first down before we had to punt it again.

After a great stop by our defense, we force LATC to go 3 and out.

We’ve taken our starters out at this point so for the first time this game, our 3rd string RB was out there. We go 3 and out with 1 yard runs and a punt.

They pushed it up the field pretty good and it was 4th and 15 on our 20 yard line with 0:33 left in the 4th. They pass it on 4th but it falls incomplete.

Our QB takes a knee on our possession, ending the game. FAU 32, LATC 7.

Ok so how are you importing players and drafting? The game seems to be made by 2 different companies

http://www.barcodegames.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1014

FAU Game 6

C Kevin Harris has joined the recruiting targets, coming to visit our school this week.

Update on current recruit targets for next year:

WR H. Olsen is playing for Big Rapids (3) competitive level school in Michigan. So far he’s racked up 13 receptions, for 178 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 3 pass deflections on defense. He’s very interested in our school.

WR S. Rosado is playing for Kingstree (3) in South Carolina. He has 8 receptions, for 156 yards, 1 touchdown, and 3 pass deflections on defense. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.

OLB S. Livingston is playing for St. Thomas Aquinas (1) in Florida. He has 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 66 rushing yards, and he’s averaging 3.2 yards per carry. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school which has increased from being very interested.

OG D. Benoit is playing for Chapman (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, but he is 6’6, 265 lbs and he’s extremely interested in playing for us which has increased from very interested.

C Kevin Harris is playing for Midland Valley (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, and he’s very interested in playing for us.

FS Masterson is still struggling with his broken ribs, though he’s recovering nicely from them. SS Johnny Copeland will start at Free Safety this week in his place. DE Kurt Wood is back from his injury and will be starting this week. C Sammie Thompson has recovered well from his severe concussion and will have a chance to start back this week, but will not be long snapping. The biggest shocker of the week, RB John Smith is down with inflammation to his knee. RB Edward Williams will get a chance to shine this week while our starting RB is down.

(2-3) North Texas vs. (5-0) Florida Atlantic

First Quarter:

North Texas started the game with the ball on their 20, and two plays later, they found the end zone. Not a good start seeing our FS getting beat his first time at that position. 7-0, UNT.

On our first drive down the field, we got down to the UNT 6 but couldn’t finish in the end zone and had to bring K Dunlap out for the 24 yard field goal, which was good. 7-3, UNT is still in the lead.

This time, North Texas met the actual Florida Atlantic Defense that I knew we had and we shut them out, for a quick 3 and out. When we got the ball back, we forced it down field with a couple big plays from FB Nelson and runs from QB Varela, and then nail it in the end zone to WR Richardson for a touchdown! 10-7, FAU takes the lead!

UNT got the ball back, and wound up 4th and 2, and they went for it and got it. But their next play came to 4th and 29 so they punted it away.

2nd Quarter:

This time it’s FAU’s Tight End, Jess Peterson who finds the end zone at the beginning of the second, bring us up 17-7. UNT responded going down the field and knocking in a field goal of their own to lessen our lead to 7. 17-10, FAU is in the lead.

We brought in RB Keith Blevins for a drive, but picked up 5 yards on 3 plays so we wound up punting the ball away. UNT’s ball on the 9, and WR Goss for the North Texas hasn’t been heard of since his scoring 2 plays in the first minute of the game. A pass is high intended to WR Goss, and our ILB Jack Sandoval gets under it and picks it off! We have the ball on the 22, but have to settle for a 39 yard field goal from K Dunlap which is good. FAU extends the lead, 20-10.

UNT pushes it down to our 35 yard line, but then CB Reginald Coleman hits the UNT QB hard and makes him fumble! Coleman jumps on the ball and recovers it for FAU. With 0:30 seconds left, QB Varela sails it out to WR Craig Olsen for a touchdown! 27-10, we stay in the lead.

Halftime: QB Varela has thrown 3 touchdowns to 3 different receivers, TE Peterson, WR Olsen, and WR Richardson. Meanwhile the running game has slacked a lot, with RB Williams running 9 times for a measly 34 yards, and Blevins running 3 times for 5 yards. RB Williams is just over 3ypc right now. Meanwhile our defense has already caused 2 fumbles, and 1 interception.

3rd Quarter:

A couple punts back and forth eventually led to a field goal by North Texas. 27-13, Florida Atlantic is still in the lead. A couple more punts and the 3rd quarter was relatively boring.

4th Quarter:

A couple more punts continue the trend, until QB Varela throws a bad pass that gets picked off with a little less than 10 minutes left! UNT can’t get much from it, so they settle for a field goal bringing the score 27-16.

Nothing really happens except an exchange of punts until the 2 minute warning. Down by 11, UNT has to do something if they want to win as we punt the ball to them with 1:56 left on the clock. An excellent punt puts them on their own 3 yard line. They try to push it down the field, and get to their own 49, but 3 dropped passes in a row and the last one being on 4th down, ended the game.

FAU defeated UNT, 27-16.

Archived