Let There Be War: A WCW Tale

:) Always glad to see this one popped back to the top with a new show!

Revenge is already very loaded down with two top matches; those being Hogan/Savage and the six man tag. Sting/Giant should be a very good match to put Giant over well, even if he ends up dropping the match. I'm a little surprised to not see any of Jarrett gloating on this one, but I definitely understand the time constraints that you can run into with a WCW roster.

Good stuff, TFC!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 1996, Week 2

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SN.jpg~original

Saturday, Week 2, January 1996

From Joplin Memorial Hall in Joplin, Missouri

Attendance: 2,000 (sell-out!)

Announce Team: Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay

Ultimo Dragon defeated Devon Storm at 05:26. (D+)

As Gene Okerlund interviewed Eddie and Chavo Guerrero, Chavo accepted Harlem Heat's open challenge for Revenge without any input from Eddie. ©

The American Males defeated The State Patrol at 06:30. (D-)

The Four Horsemen cut a promo on Shane Douglas, calling his hiring of three mercenaries to take them out a waste of time and money doomed to fail. (B-)

Rhino defeated Tim Horner at 01:47. (E-)

Gene Okerlund attempted to interview Rhino after the match, but the newcomer just grunted and chased him off. (C+)

Dean Malenko defeated Doc Dean at 05:22. (C-)

Malenko was interviewed by Gene after the match. He said that the only mystery at Revenge was which of his 1,000 holds he would use to defeat Jushin Liger and become the Cruiserweight Champion. (C-)

The Taskmaster defeated Dave Sullivan at 08:07. (D+)

Cactus Jack sent in a promo from his home, thanking the fans for supporting him and Dusty Rhodes for giving him an opportunity. He said he would make the most of that chance and prove he belongs back in WCW by beating DDP at Revenge. ©

Show Overall: C

<hr noshade size=3>

Jeff Jarrett provoked Johnny B. Badd backstage before Nitro, and the two had to be held back by their fellow wrestlers. I gave Jeff a stern warning about his behavior, but he more or less brushed me off. I'm not sure why he feels the need to start trouble after I brought him in on a guaranteed deal and gave him a big push right away.

After having taken Joey Maggs under his wing previously, Arn Anderson has another protégé in Rhino. I have plans for Rhino, so hopefully the tutelage of a veteran like Arn will be beneficial for the young big man.

My sources tell me that All Japan Pro Wrestling had a great main event for their recent Rebellion show. In said main event, Mitsuharu Misawa retained his Triple Crown title against American-born "Doctor Death" Steve Williams. The match in question got an A rating, and the show itself was a B.

ECW's Guilty as Charged saw a major change on the top of the card. Raven became the new king of the bingo hall by winning a three way dance against defending World champ Sandman and New Jack in the main event. That main event got a B- score, but MOTN honors went to the B rated semi main event in which 2 Cold Scorpio beat Tommy Dreamer. The overall grade for the show was a C+.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Revenge.jpg~original

WCW HOTLINE OFFICIAL PREDICTION GAME

World Heavyweight Championship (Immortal is barred from ringside): Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage (©)

Sting vs. The Giant

United States Heavyweight Championship: Brian Pillman vs. Jeff Jarrett (©)

Cactus Jack vs. Diamond Dallas Page

World Tag Team Championship: The Nasty Boys vs. The Steiner Brothers (©)

The Four Horsemen (Flair, Anderson and Jericho) vs. John Tenta, Big Bubba and Scott Norton

World Cruiserweight Championship: Dean Malenko vs. Jushin Liger (©)

The Guerreros vs. Harlem Heat

What will be the best match?

World Heavyweight Championship (Immortal is barred from ringside): Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage (©)

Sting vs. The Giant

The Four Horsemen (Flair, Anderson and Jericho) vs. John Tenta, Big Bubba and Scott Norton

What will be the best match? Hogan vs Savage

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Hogan vs Savage

I don't see a change coming in either of the two big titles on this show.

Sting vs. The Giant

I could see this one going either way, but I'm going with Giant to win simply because he likely needs put over more. I could also see it going Sting's way as he pushes toward Savage, but I just think Giant needs this one more.

I don't see this one going down cleanly, Brian is a good defense but he won't be grabbing the belt just now; maybe next month at Superbrawl, because Jeff just got the belt.

Now that Cactus has his contract, he can move on from this feud.

Maybe it's because I've been watching their matches with Jack and Payne from 1994 as of late on my Network Marathon, but I've started to soften a bit on the Nastys. However, that doesn't mean they pick up the titles here.

A good one to put over the new Horsemen crew.

A low-key yet huge title change.

Heat vs Steiners is a damn good match, should be great for SuperBrawl.

What will be the best match? Hogan vs Savage, I guess.

"_____" is barred from ringside = champion retains

Sting vs. The Giant

Putting aside my real life dislike of Show and/or the way he's been pushed, I have to hope Sting wins, even if its a DQ win, as Show really needs more time to learn wrestling and Sting is feuding with the world champion.

If Flyin' Brian is the fourth Horseman (and I believe he is here) the Horsemen deserve a title, and the US Belt is fairly low down the pecking order, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it change hands quickly.

Jack deserves a dub in the battle of the *bang* *bang* outlaws

Not even Hulkamania can get the Nasties a run with the belts, brother.

The "small guys" versus "big guys" scenario, nine out of ten the small guys win if they're in the same weight class.

Not a fan of Dean, and I don't think he's the guy to legitimize the Cruiserweight division. He's just so boring.

This is a great opportunity to "legitimize" the cruisers -- I'd go with Eddie and Chavo here, and have them turn before Superbrawl, where they can take the belts

What will be the best match?: It's hard to argue against Hogan vs. Savage here, with Big Slow being involved in the semi-main.

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Hogan/Savage

I could see this one going either way and Hogan taking the belt away from Randy would certainly add fuel to the fire but when I doubt, I go with champ and that´s what I do here.

Sting vs. The Giant

Giant is still bit green so I would give this one to Sting.

I go with champ retaining once again.

I´m guessing that Jack gets his contract here.

I just don´t see Nasty Boys being champs pver Steiners.

Nice win for the Horsemen in order to build Jericho up a bit.

I have to admit that I´m bit rusty about what has happened on this particular diary, partly because of the time that has passed and partly because I read at least three differend WCW diaries around the same timeline (great way to get yourself messed up on what happened in which diary) but quick check proved that this could still fall into "too early for a title change category" as Liger is the third guy to hold the belt on this diary so far.

I don´t see Guerros working together well enough at the moment to beat a great team like Heat.

What will be the best match? Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Hogan Savage

TFC I have always been a fan of your Golden Age diary and it seems me and that diary went on hiatus at the exact same time.

I'm just now reading the first show and it is good. I did not start fully watching wrestling until a year after this start date but this is a time period I'm waaaay more familiar with and I hope you keep this one up as well as Golden Age.

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Hogan v Savage

The CURRENT Immortal members are barred from ringside. A NEW member of Immortal isn't, brother.

Sting vs. The Giant

Stinger gains the victory to become the next opponent of Macho.

Jarrett keeps the title for some more time.

Cactus gains a huge win right here, a deserved one.

I don't think that the Nastys will take the belt off of the Brothers.

Scott Norton is there to be pinned.

I think that Liger retains here but Malenko wins at the next PPV.

The Heat advances to Tag Team Title contendership.

What will be the best match? Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage.

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Hogan/Savage

• 2 weeks later...

January 1996, Week 3

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Nitro.jpg~original

Monday, Week 3, January 1996

From the Ryan Center in Kingston, Rhode Island

Attendance: 10,000 (sell-out!)

Announce Team: Eric Bischoff and Bobby Heenan

Pre-Show: Disco Inferno defeated Mr. JL in 06:29 (D+) and The Blue Bloods defeated The American Males in 09:12 (C+).

Jushin Liger and Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Dean Malenko and Psicosis:

We previewed this Sunday's Cruiserweight title match and gave the fans an action-packed opener at the same time. All four men had the chance to strut their stuff and show what they had to offer, and Misterio and Malenko both looked sharper in terms of reading the audience and adjusting accordingly. Liger went for his Running Liger Bomb finish, but Dean countered with a falling backdrop with a bridge for the 3-count at 10:12. Bobby put the win over big, saying it gave Malenko the edge six days before his title match.

(Grade: C)

"Diamond" Dallas Page dropped by the office of our commissioner Dusty Rhodes. He taunted Dusty, saying that he was going to end the career of "The Dream's boy", Cactus Jack, on Sunday. Dusty said that Cactus wasn't his "boy"; he respected him and thought he would be a great addition to WCW, but if he wanted a spot he would have to earn it at Revenge. Both guys did some good improvising here, and DDP seemed to step up his acting game in response to working with The Dream.

(Grade: C+)

Chris Jericho (w/Brian Pillman) vs. Scott Norton:

Jericho of the Horsemen went one-on-one with one of his opponents in Sunday's six man tag, Scott Norton. Shane Douglas watched the second half of the match from the aisle, but did not get directly involved. Norton effortlessly threw his lighter opponent around the ring for most of the match, but his overconfidence cost him when Jericho schoolboyed him for a sudden pin at 06:05. Norton was not pleased about losing to the newcomer, so I appeased him by structuring the layout of the match so it would protect him and keep him looking strong.

(Grade: D)

Douglas had been watching from the aisle without getting involved, but moments after the bell he hit the ring, with John Tenta and Big Bubba following close behind for what we established on commentary as an obviously premeditated assault. Pillman tried to help Jericho out, but it was a 4-on-2 once Norton joined in on the attack. Flair and Anderson came out not long after for the save, and the two factions brawled into a commercial break. Flair looked excellent here, but his young stablemate Jericho did not come out looking good when surrounded by so much star power. Norton was also underwhelming in the attack, maybe due to having just worked, and Tenta simply looked lost.

We brought in the Blue Bloods for an interview with Mean Gene. Eaton stood to the side in silence while Regal questioned where the opportunities were for the Blue Bloods. He tried to point out that they had beaten the Nasty Boys twice in a row and yet it was the Nastys who were getting title chances, but he botched his delivery really badly.

The Guerreros vs. The Armstrongs:

The purpose of this match was to play up the dissension between the Guerreros, with Chavo constantly berating his uncle and shouting out instructions. I think Bobby and I did a good job of getting that particular story across, but unfortunately the story was a little too true to reality. Eddie and Chavo had no timing to speak of as a tag team, which I found rather surprising considering their familial connection. Regardless, they won this match when Chavo tagged himself in following a Frog Splash from Eddie and stole the pin at 08:11.

(Grade: D)

Chavo got on the mic after the match and trash talked Harlem Heat, saying he couldn't wait to get them at Revenge and would love to get to it right now, but he knew they were too chicken to come out. Eddie said maybe that wasn't the best idea right after their match, but Chavo shrugged him off. Booker and Stevie came out to make them pay--and Chavo suddenly "tweaked" his ankle and went out to the floor, leaving Eddie to suffer a 2-on-1 beating. I told Chavo to make it obvious he was faking his injury, but I thought his performance was ridiculously over the top and actually detracted from the segment.

We did a Hulk Hogan pre-taped workout from his home. Afterwards, he said that he was using these weeks away off of the road to push himself to the limit in his training regimen, and the Macho Man would be stepping into the ring at Revenge with a Hulkster that was better than ever. Hulk did well here, not that I expected anything less.

(Grade: A*)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/TV.jpg~original

Dick Slater (w/Col. Parker) vs. Ken Shamrock {©}:

Grizzled veteran Dirty Dick Slater stepped into the ring with our TV Champion, and Bobby and I succeeded in our efforts to put forward the idea that Slater's years of experience would pose a unique challenge for Shamrock. When Ken made his late match comeback, Col. Parker entered the ring and struck him from behind for the DQ at 07:39. Parker's performance throughout the match was solid; he really enhanced Slater's act, which he seems to do with all of his men every time they perform.

(Grade: C-)

Now it was time to air footage we'd shot of Randy Savage lifting weights and preparing for his title defense against Hulk Hogan. Elizabeth watched on with a smile as Randy worked out, and afterwards chimed in at the appropriate times when Savage cut a promo. He talked about how he was going to beat Hulk once and for all on Sunday and prove that he had always been the better man and Hulk had always been jealous of him, whether it be his ability in the ring or his relationship with Elizabeth. Those two really do have great chemistry; it's no wonder the WWF fans were so invested in them as an on-screen couple.

(Grade: A*)

Johnny B. Badd vs. Shane Douglas:

Shane Douglas was back out after his in-ring brawl earlier to wrestle Johnny B. Badd. There was no real story of note here; just an opportunity to showcase two guys who aren't on the card on Sunday. They had a passable match, with some humorous comments from Bobby to keep our viewers entertained. Douglas won in 08:37 with his Corkscrew Neckbreaker finisher, which I still need to think up a name for.

The Nasty Boys attacked the Steiners in their locker room. The champions fought back briefly, but Knobbs rammed Rick's head against a locker, taking him out of the fight. From there they worked together to take out Scott and stand tall. I figured a physical angle would be better here than a promo given the verbal skills of the four guys involved, and I don't think I was wrong.

Mean Gene brought in both Brian Pillman and Jeff Jarrett for an interview about their United States title match at Revenge. Pillman said that the Horsemen have always been associated with championship gold, and he would bring the first title to this incarnation of the legendary group by taking Jarrett out. Jarrett retorted that unlike Pillman, he didn't play second fiddle to anyone else; he was the starring attraction, and he had the belt to prove it. Pillman and Gene were both outstanding on the mic here, and I also thought Gene looked a bit more charismatic than usual.

(Grade: B+)

Sting vs. The Taskmaster:

Our main event this week was built around Sting preparing for his PPV battle against The Giant by taking on Giant's mentor of sorts. Sting and Taskmaster did a fair job here, but I don't think Kevin can really be expected to deliver fantastic matches at this stage of his career. Sting went over with the Scorpion Deathlock at 14:06.

(Grade: B)

The entirety of Immortal (minus Savage) swarmed the ring after the match, and unlike last week Sting was unable to escape in time. Giant and Sullivan worked him over while Roddy Piper got on the mic and taunted him, saying that this is what happens to anyone stupid enough to tangle with Immortal. They run things in WCW now, and no one can stop them. Roddy did a pretty good job here, working the mic with his considerable skill. Kevin's effort was rather poor, but I thought Sting did a really nice job with his performance skills as far as really milking the beating and eliciting sympathy.

(Grade: A)

We closed out this go-home show with a video recapping the storied history between Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage (though our production team had to sort of gloss over the WWF stuff, since we obviously can't use any of that footage), leading up to Starrcade and Randy's heel turn. The video ended with the idea that this could be the final chapter in this legendary feud. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen, but we obviously want this match and card to feel as important as possible despite having a bit shorter build.

(Grade: A)

Show Overall: B+

TNT Rating: 7.08

Raw Rundown:

(Pre-Show)

The British Bulldog over Jeff Hardy (C-)

Jean-Pierre Laffite over Rich Myers (D)

(Main Show)

Backstage segment between Diesel and Jerry Lawler (C+)

The Smoking Gunns over Matt Hardy and Dorgan (D)

Backstage angle featuring Yokozuna, Razor Ramon and Owen Hart (B-)

Wolfie D over Duke Droese (D)

Backstage angle with Ted DiBiase, The Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior ()

(B+)

The Blu Brothers over The V.I.P's (D)

Skit involving Shawn Michaels, Sid and Bret Hart (B-)

Shawn Michaels over Jerry Lawler (B)

Owen Hart and Yokozuna over The Undertaker and Diesel (B+)

Raw Overall: B (Nitro: B+)

Raw USA Rating: 4.98 (Nitro: 7.08)

Another decent outing for the WWF, though we once again stayed out in front. I guess they deserve partial credit for subbing Shawn Michaels with The Undertaker so they didn't subject their fans to ANOTHER Dudes With Attitude/Owen and Yoko match. We're still killing them in the ratings, and our already sizeable lead actually grew here as our rating rose slightly, and theirs fell.

((Don't forget that you can find a complete week-by-week Monday Night War ratings comparison in the first post of the topic.))

Another nice Nitro, Revenge is shaping up to be a pretty solid show, even if it is basically a Backlash type of event. Though am I the only one a little disappointed that the logo for it doesn't look like the one from the WCW/nWo Revenge video game? ;)

Too bad about the bad chemistry for the Guerreros, but this show in general shined because of the promos about Hogan and Savage.

January 1996, Week 3

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SN.jpg~original

Saturday, Week 3, January 1996

From the Pizzitola Sports Center in Providence, Rhode Island

Attendance: 2,000 (sell-out!)

Announce Team: Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay

Rhino squashed Dave Sullivan at 03:07. (E-)

Mean Gene tried to get a comment from Rhino after the match, but as has become custom he chased him off. ©

Ultimo Dragon defeated Billy Kidman at 05:10. (D+)

Shane Douglas cut a backstage promo talking about how he would be watching very closely on Sunday when the Horsemen met his trio of hired guns. (B)

Hugh Morrus defeated Mark Starr at 04:25. (D-)

Dick Slater and Col. Parker blamed Slater's DQ loss to Ken Shamrock on "blatant cheating" by Shamrock, and said if Shamrock is any kind of man he'll give Slater a rematch. (C-)

Diamond Dallas Page (w/the Diamond Doll) defeated Joey Maggs at 05:19. (C-)

Mean Gene interviewed the Guerreros. Eddie asked Chavo why he hadn't helped him against Harlem Heat on Nitro, but Chavo claimed he had injured himself while "single-handedly winning the match" against the Armstrongs and thus hadn't been able to help him fend off their attack. ©

After the Guerreros left, Ric Flair and Chris Jericho came in. They said they were looking forward to watching fellow Horsemen Anderson and Pillman in the main event up next, and also talked about how they would help establish this new incarnation of the Horsemen in the six man tag at Revenge. (B-)

Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman defeated The State Patrol at 05:25. (C-)

Show Overall: C+

<hr noshade size=3>

Dory Funk Jr. has finally called it a career. The 54-year old wrapped up his in-ring days over in All Japan, with his farewell match coming at their big Rebellion show last week, where he and Dan Kroffat unsuccessfully challenged Gary Albright and Doug Furnas for the All Asia Tag Team titles. He's contacted most of the major American companies, us included, to inform us that he'd be interested in remaining in the business as either a road agent or referee. I think he'd be most useful as a road agent, but I'm pretty happy with Jody Hamilton handling that role for us, so I don't think I'll be making Dory any offers.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've just signed several young men still in the early stages of their careers. 22 year old Ekmo, a member of the vaunted Anoa'i family, is still in his rookie year--but have you ever met a Samoan wrestler who can't work? Much less one from that family? He has a great menacing look, and I could see him being a top heel for us one day. He'll report to our developmental territory once he finishes up his independent bookings. I may look to sign one of his relatives down the road and see if we can continue the lineage of great Samoan tag teams.

Our other new signees possess none of Ekmo's menace, but rather bring something completely different to the table. Shane Helms is 21 years old, but already has five years of experience under his belt. He is a good friend of the Hardys, who are really agile smaller guys Vince uses as jobbers. Helms will report to the USWL for a bit before joining the Cruiserweight division on the main roster. He and the Hardys have another good friend in the business, a kid named Shannon Moore, but considering he's just 16 I think I'll pass on signing him, at least for now.

My third and final signing in recent days was David 'Kid' Kash. Kash, much like Helms, has experience that belies his age. Despite being 26, he's an eight year veteran. I think he's a pretty well-rounded performer as is, but some time in the USWL will only help. He'll be another nice addition to our Cruiserweight division one day.

I've signed Col. Parker to a contract extension. His men aren't doing a great deal these days, but he seems to add to their matches every single time. Perhaps I should try and find some higher-profile talent to rejuvenate the Stud Stable.

Imagine my surprise when Randy Savage sent in some video games to our most recent Nitro! Macho is no gamer himself, at least as far as I know. I think it was a gesture to win favor with some of the younger members of the roster, and by all accounts it worked. It's great to see someone of his stature reach out to our younger up-and-comers. It creates a very positive atmosphere and a team mentality, which is very welcome.

<hr noshade size=3>

After posting the show last night, I realized that I'd never given Beejus and franticloser a prize for finishing tied for first in the prediction contest that ended at Starrcade. Whoops! I'll PM you guys when I come up with a prize. If you have a suggestion for a prize idea, by all means share it with me!

"_____" is barred from ringside = champion retains

That does generally seem to be how it works, huh?

Sting vs. The Giant

Putting aside my real life dislike of Show and/or the way he's been pushed, I have to hope Sting wins, even if its a DQ win, as Show really needs more time to learn wrestling and Sting is feuding with the world champion.

Is it weird that I think of Giant and Big Show almost as two completely different wrestlers? There was something about the way WCW used him that made him so much more effective as a giant heel, at least early on.

If Flyin' Brian is the fourth Horseman (and I believe he is here) the Horsemen deserve a title, and the US Belt is fairly low down the pecking order, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it change hands quickly.

Yep, Brian's the fourth Horsemen. It's the same lineup as when the group reformed for real in this time period, except with Jericho swapped in for Benoit.

Not a fan of Dean, and I don't think he's the guy to legitimize the Cruiserweight division. He's just so boring.

:o Don't talk bad about the Iceman! (He could be a little bland, no denying that, but I was a huge fan of his work in WCW.)

I have to admit that I´m bit rusty about what has happened on this particular diary, partly because of the time that has passed and partly because I read at least three differend WCW diaries around the same timeline (great way to get yourself messed up on what happened in which diary) but quick check proved that this could still fall into "too early for a title change category" as Liger is the third guy to hold the belt on this diary so far.

Ha, I know the feeling! There seem to be a lot of WWF and WCW diaries set in '91 (and with good reason, since the mod is great), and sometimes I struggle to differentiate between them. You could definitely make that argument with the cruiser title, but WCW did seem to pass that thing around pretty frequently.

I don´t see Guerros working together well enough at the moment to beat a great team like Heat.

Too bad them not working well together isn't just a storyline now. Dang chemistry.

TFC I have always been a fan of your Golden Age diary and it seems me and that diary went on hiatus at the exact same time.

I'm just now reading the first show and it is good. I did not start fully watching wrestling until a year after this start date but this is a time period I'm waaaay more familiar with and I hope you keep this one up as well as Golden Age.

I definitely plan to! TGAAB remains my main focus, but I plan to work on this too when I can. I usually just turn to this when there's a slight lull in TGA, which hasn't happened very often with the pace Anderz and I have been going at.

Scott Norton is there to be pinned.

He sure wasn't happy about doing so on Nitro!

Another nice Nitro, Revenge is shaping up to be a pretty solid show, even if it is basically a Backlash type of event. Though am I the only one a little disappointed that the logo for it doesn't look like the one from the WCW/nWo Revenge video game? ;)

Too bad about the bad chemistry for the Guerreros, but this show in general shined because of the promos about Hogan and Savage.

That's exactly what it is; WCW's Backlash. I did try and do a cut based off of the video game logo, but it wasn't working out for whatever reason. It's probably been three months since I made the logo for the show, so I don't remember exactly what the problem was! :o

Sting vs. The Giant

What will be the best match? Savage/Hogan

January 1996, Week 3

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Revenge.jpg~original

Sunday, Week 3, January 1996

From the Rubber Bowl in Akron, Ohio

Attendance: 30,000 (sell-out!)

Announce Team: Eric Bischoff and Bobby Heenan

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SBischoff.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SHeenan.jpg~original

Pre-Show: Rey Misterio Jr. defeated Disco Inferno in 10:28 © and Jim Duggan and Alex Wright defeated Meng and Ed Leslie in 15:45 (B-).

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Savage2.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SElizabeth.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SMeanGene.jpg~original

We recorded footage of Gene interviewing Randy and Liz in the parking lot as they arrived early in the day. Randy both came across well and did some good improvising here as he declared that he wasn't the slightest bit worried about Immortal being barred from ringside during the main event, because he had always been better than Hulk and always will be. Gene's delivery was even better; he did a fantastic job of appearing skeptical about what Savage was saying. This was a strong segment to open the PPV.

Grade: A

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Cruiser.jpg~original

Dean Malenko vs. Jushin Liger {©}

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Malenko.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Liger.jpg~original

The in-ring action started with the Cruiserweights. I thought Malenko and Liger provided some great in-ring action, seamlessly blending mat wrestling with some of Liger's aerial stuff. Bobby also did a good job as he talked about how the Cruiserweight division was responsible for some of the greatest matches he's seen in his many years in wrestling. Unfortunately the fans don't view either of these guys as true stars just yet, so the crowd response was not nearly as high as the match quality. Our finish saw both men getting up slowly after a dive to the floor by Liger, with the champion alone making it back into the ring before the ten count.

Match Time: 14:02

Grade: C

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Shamrock.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Slater.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SParker.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Wallstreet.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Regal.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Eaton.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SMeanGene.jpg~original

Gene hosted a roundtable of sorts with several talent who weren't booked in matches for tonight. He tried to ask them about the night's matches, but they all had their own agendas. The Blue Bloods again complained about being left out of the tag team title picture in favor of a rematch for The Nasty Boys, Wallstreet suggested that he would have been a much better choice for Randy Savage's first title defense than Hulk Hogan, and Shamrock and Slater got into it over the way their TV title match on Nitro ended. Col. Parker helped Slater in this segment, but Dirty Dick still looked dreadful. On the plus side, Shamrock seemed to turn in a stronger performance than usual.

Grade: C+

The Guerreros vs. Harlem Heat (w/Sherri)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Eddie.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Chavo.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Booker.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Ray.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SSherri.jpg~original

As we were surprised to discover on Nitro, Eddie and Chavo don't have very good chemistry as a team. Tonight we learned that it was no fluke, as their timing was all over the place both in kayfabe and in reality. Harlem Heat are just the opposite, and their great team chemistry went a long way towards canceling out the problems of the Guerreros. We worked all of this into our commentary, with Bobby doing a great job at humorously comparing the teamwork of both duos. Booker in particular looked really good tonight; as I've said before, I can see him making it as a singles star down the road. The storyline problems between the Guerreros factored into the ending, as an argument between Eddie and Chavo led to Chavo hopping off of the apron and leaving his uncle exposed for Booker and Stevie's Heat Seeker finish.

Match Time: 13:13

Grade: C

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Eddie.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Chavo.jpg~original

The problems between the Guerreros continued after the match, with Chavo blaming Eddie for the loss and Eddie asking his nephew what his problem was. The argument ended and both men turned to leave, but Chavo instead blindsided Eddie. He knocked his uncle down and put the boots to him before storming off in disgust. Thankfully I was planning to do this all along, so the bad teamwork of the Guerreros shouldn't be an issue any longer.

Grade: C-

The Four Horsemen vs. Big Bubba, Scott Norton and John Tenta

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Flair.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Arn.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Jericho.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Bubba.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Norton.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Tenta.jpg~original

Shane Douglas joined us on color for this match, and obviously spent the entirety of the match trashing the Horsemen and encouraging his hired guns to take them out. As for the match itself, it honestly turned out better than I'd expected considering Jericho is not a well-established commodity yet and the heel team aren't exactly workhorses in the ring. A lot of that may have been due to Jericho's partners. Ric looked really good here, and Arn continues to grow more comfortable performing in his new babyface role. The match ended with Bubba submitting to Flair's Figure Four, much to Douglas' displeasure.

Match Time: 16:04

Grade: B

Cactus Jack vs. Diamond Dallas Page (w/The Diamond Doll)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Cactus.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/DDP.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SKimberly.jpg~original

This match was a step back from their first encounter at Starrcade, for several reasons. Losing the Parking Lot Brawl gimmick hurt, but the bigger factor was the way the match was structured. DDP battered Cactus for the vast majority of the match, but he kept kicking out and coming back for more. Bobby remarked that no job was worth the beating Cactus was taking and he should just quit. I think the comment did exactly what it intended to, which was make Cactus look double tough.

Jack came back despite all of the punishment and pinned Page with a Double Arm DDT. I had to go out of my way to make DDP look strong in this match to get him to agree to the loss, but I was okay with that. I think this storyline has done a lot to reintroduce Cactus to our audience and arguably get him more over than ever, which is more important than the quality of this one match. I also have to say that DDP really seemed to soak in the crowd's boos throughout the match and did a great job playing up his character.

Match Time: 12:27

Grade: C+

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Cactus.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Dusty.jpg~original

Dusty Rhodes came out to welcome Cactus back to WCW as an official contracted wrestler once again. He did well at appearing proud and impressed by Jack's toughness. Cactus thanked him profusely and promised him he would do everything he could to erase any doubts anyone had about whether or not he deserved to be there. Cactus wasn't quite believable here; maybe upbeat optimism isn't his forte.

Grade: B-

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Tag.jpg~original

The Nasty Boys vs. The Steiner Brothers {©}

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Knobbs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Sags.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/RSteiner.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SSteiner.jpg~original

I thought the Nastys and the Steiners gave us a quality match at Starrcade, but this one was even better. They worked just as snug as they had last month, and the hard-hitting style lent a lot of credibility to the match. The mutually stiff work and years of experience of both teams combined to produce one of the best matches on the show. We teased doing a repeat of last month's finish, with the Nasties narrowly avoiding a DQ on several occasions. That wasn't in the cards, though; Scott threw Sags over the top rope with an overhead belly to belly suplex, and the Steinerizer on Knobbs gave the Steiners a conclusive title defense. This spells the end of this feud, but I think I'm going to need to find ways to keep Knobbs and Sags relevant after this performance.

Match Time: 10:27

Grade: B+

Sting vs. The Giant (w/The Taskmaster)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Sting.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Giant.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SSullivan.jpg~original

Considering how green Giant is, I had pretty low expectations for this match, so much so that I bumped it from the semi main event spot even though our booking had presented this as the second biggest match on the show. To say I was stunned by the result would be a massive understatement. Giant may have been huffing and puffing as the match entered the stretch run, but Sting worked around the exhaustion of his young opponent and led him to an unlikely match of the night.

Kevin Sullivan did his part to improve the match, and did a particularly good job at conveying his distress when he tried to interfere as the referee's back was turned, only for his flying axe handle to hit Giant when Sting stepped aside. That was the prelude to the finish, where Sting hit several Stinger Splashes in a row to knock the big man down and then hooked the Scorpion Deathlock on his massive legs for the submission. This was the first clean loss of Giant's career, which we made sure to mention on commentary. He was not happy about taking the loss, but I made no concessions to try and keep him happy. If he has a problem putting over the likes of Sting, that's just too bad. That disappointing behavior aside, this match was a very pleasant surprise.

Match Time: 16:08

Grade: A

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Hogan.jpg~original

Hulk paced back and forth backstage as he cut a promo about the main event. He said that with Immortal banned from ringside, tonight we'd see just what the Macho Man was made of. But he already knew what Randy was made of--he'd known it for years--and he knew that he doesn't have what it takes deep down inside to defeat the Hulkster. Hulk improvised well here, producing his usual great promo.

Grade: A*

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/US.jpg~original

Brian Pillman vs. Jeff Jarrett {©}

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Pillman.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Jarrett.jpg~original

I put this match in the semi main event spot over Sting and Giant because I expected the ring work to blow that match out of the water. The action may indeed have been better, but not by enough to offset the difference in starpower. It was a good match, but in retrospect I clearly made the wrong decision to put it in this spot. In any event, these two had a pretty good match with plenty of exciting aerial offense from Pillman and plenty of cheap heel tactics from Jarrett. In truth, all the action was just killing time until Jarrett subtly positioned the referee for use as a human shield when Brian went for Air Pillman. That ref bump set the stage for...

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Douglas.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/DDP.jpg~original

Shane Douglas and DDP to run down to the ring. Pillman saw Douglas coming and squared up to confront him, but was completely unprepared for DDP to spin him around into the Diamond Cutter. Jarrett happily made the cover and accepted a gift-wrapped title defense when the ref came to.

Match Time: 18:19

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Douglas.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/DDP.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Pillman.jpg~original

Douglas and DDP put the boots to Pillman after the match, until...

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Flair.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Arn.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Jericho.jpg~original

The rest of the Horsemen ran out to save their stablemate. Douglas and DDP got out of Dodge in a hurry, but took the time to take a mic so they could cut a promo once they were up in the aisle a safe distance. Douglas sarcastically congratulated the Horsemen for beating his hired guns earlier, but said they were expendable. They had been nothing but a distraction, whereas the man standing by his side, DDP, is a true brother in arms. They'd foolishly rejected Douglas when he attempted to join the Horsemen; now he was going to assemble his own group and "put the ancient horses out to pasture." Flair looked excellent here as he stood in the ring and silently seethed.

Grade: B-

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Hogan.jpg~original

Hulk was making his entrance for his world title rematch. As he slapped hands with some of the Hulkamaniacs in the aisle...

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Savage2.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SElizabeth.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Piper.jpg~original

Savage and Piper assaulted him from behind. Hulk fought them off briefly, but there was only so much he could do. They eventually claimed the upper hand, ramming Hogan's back into the guard rail, ring post and ring steps repeatedly. After a double suplex on the floor, Hulk was positively writhing in pain. Bobby marveled at how brilliant Immortal had been here: everyone had been barred from ringside during the match, but Dusty hadn't said a thing about before the match. Hulk experienced "back spasms" to sell just how much the attack had damaged his back, and the fans bought into it 100%. They'd been worked into a fever pitch as Roddy left ringside and Randy rolled Hulk into the ring to begin the match itself.

Grade: A*

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/World.jpg~original

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage {©} (w/Elizabeth)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Hogan.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/vs.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/Savage2.jpg~originalhttp://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/WCW95/SElizabeth.jpg~original

The sheer stardom of these two had produced a very memorable Starrcade main event. This month's return engagement was not quite at that level. Perhaps it was because the fans intrinsically understood that the odds of Hulk regaining the title one month after Savage's big heel turn and the formation of Immortal were very slim, and they just didn't emotionally invest quite as much. Or maybe it was Hulk's rather mediocre attempt to sell his "back injury", or a lack of a compelling story from a psychology standpoint. Whatever the case may have been, this was a passable match but not exactly what I would consider a strong PPV main event.

The match was built around Randy attacking Hulk's back, and Hulk doing all he could to battle back. He made his standard late-match comeback, but when he tried to lift Randy for a slam his back "gave out on him." Randy capitalized with a knee to the back, then hit his signature flying elbow onto the injured back for the pin.

Match Time: 17:06

Show Overall: B+

Buy Rate: 2.28

Predictions (out of 9):

Zergon: 8

Nobby_McDonald: 8

Smasher1311: 8

smwilliams: 7

The Nickman: 7

BHK6: 7

crackerjack: 7

Beejus: 6

KnowYourEnemy: 6

guyver3: 6

franticloser: 5

Only a 6 :( It's crazy just how different our WCWs are, in a way. I'm glad to see that Hogan did business, but Giant complained about losing to Sting? I realize this isn't real life, so in the game Giant may be more over, but that's kinda crazy to wrap my head around.

I must admit, the Nasty Boys are kind of worth looking into, in at least Hive's mods. As much as I don't personally like Knobs and Sags, they definitely have their place in the game where they can pull off nice ratings. They actually even have their place in wrestling, as tough guys who can just go out there and have a wild, heart stopping brawl. So I would not be opposed to seeing you make good use of them here.

January 1996, Week 4

Chris Jericho seems to fit right in with not only his fellow Horsemen but the rest of the roster. Rather than stressing out about his in-ring PPV debut, he had many of the boys laughing backstage before Revenge with what I'm told was a frighteningly accurate impersonation of Ric Flair (with none laughing harder than Ric himself.) It's nice to see the kid making an effort to establish a camaraderie with the rest of the boys rather than getting a big head due to the enviable role he's been given immediately upon debut.

The Giant's grumblings about losing aside, I thanked both he and Sting for their show-stealing performance after the PPV. I also caught up with Scott Steiner to praise him for what had been an excellent tag team title match, and asked him to pass the message along to his brother and the Nasty Boys. All three of the guys I spoke too seemed to appreciate my acknowledgement of their performances.

Revenge went heads-up with the WWF's first PPV of the year, Royal Rumble, which Vince took to Puerto Rico this year.

Royal Rumble:

Big Matty Smalls over Jason Ahrndt (E+)

Scott Taylor over Barry Horowitz (E)

The Smoking Gunns over Dorgan and Matt Hardy (D)

The Creatures over The Blu Brothers (D+)

Shawn Michaels over Bert Centeno to retain the Intercontinental title (C+)

Confrontation between Diesel and Jerry Lawler (C+)

Bushwhacker Luke over Rad Radford to retain the European title (E+)

Skit involving Shawn Michaels, Ultimate Warrior and Sunny (B-)

Ahmed Johnson, Bob Backlund and HHH over Aldo Montoya, Rogers and Myers (D)

Betha Faye over Alundra Blayze to retain the Women's title (D)

Confrontation between Undertaker and Owen Hart (B-)

Owen Hart over Bam Bam Bigelow to retain the World Heavyweight title (B)

Diesel won the Royal Rumble (C+)

Overall: C+

I'm not exactly sweating bullets after that lackluster effort. Not only was our show clearly superior, we also did a bigger buy rate, with our 2.28 easily outdoing their 1.71. With the way things have been going, I'm seriously considering scheduling our March PPV, Uncensored, directly opposite Wrestlemania 12 so we can try and embarrass them on their biggest night of the year.

<hr noshade size=3>

Only a 6 :( It's crazy just how different our WCWs are, in a way. I'm glad to see that Hogan did business, but Giant complained about losing to Sting? I realize this isn't real life, so in the game Giant may be more over, but that's kinda crazy to wrap my head around.

I must admit, the Nasty Boys are kind of worth looking into, in at least Hive's mods. As much as I don't personally like Knobs and Sags, they definitely have their place in the game where they can pull off nice ratings. They actually even have their place in wrestling, as tough guys who can just go out there and have a wild, heart stopping brawl. So I would not be opposed to seeing you make good use of them here.

The bigger surprise to me is how much roster overlap there is between this WCW and my WWF in TGAAB. I added it up and I think there were at least ten guys on Revenge who are on my TGAAB roster. The Steiners even hold the tag titles in both!

I was really surprised Giant complained too, but I understand it now that I look at it more closely. He started the game at C+ throughout the US, but all of the highly rated angles he was in had him at A by the end of the year. Sting started at B (except for an A in the Mid Atlantic), rose up to the A/B+ range by Starrcade and fell back down to B after losing to Jarrett. Beating Giant now has him back solidly at B+ in every region of the US, with a few As sprinkled in.

I was never a big fan of the Nastys either, but I definitely think they have their place. I'm uncertain exactly what I'll be doing with them going forward, but they should help give my tag team division some depth if nothing else.

Top show and top marks for me. :)

I'm glad you liked the show. You definitely had a good outing, but you've got some competition up there at the top. :)

Archived