What type of game would you like to see done for Grey Dog?

Derek DiBenedetto

What type of game would you like to see done for Grey Dog?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What type of game would you like to see done for Grey Dog?

• Soccer GM (Control team transactions, manage budget, etc)
    • Hockey (NHL?) Sim/GM game (Same as above)
    • Horse Racing (Manage stable, jockeys, etc)
    • Car Racing (Manage your cars, sponsors, etc).
    • Something else! (Describe in the thread)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. The movies was good and a nice play but right now, there's nothing that's really breaking balls atm. Or whatever the expression is. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind though that the Lionhead game was more of a visual thing (a heavy emphasis on that aspect at the very least). Over here we want it to be better gameplay-wise.

Both game genres have potential. I have been playing this new Racing Manager 2014 and it sucks so badly it just goes to show how bad the racing sim sphere is also in massive demand of a proper game. I cannot even complete a race without running out of gas, and i have been trying really hard to achieve that.

That said, all the racing manager games have all been pretty poor, i even forgot most of their names. The thing with a racing game though is that it is going to be boring even if you do it right. Even if you add decent graphics. It is also much more difficult to "balance out" properly. I also think that a racing game without good graphics will be tough to play and enjoy because essentially the most interesting part of the game is to actually watch your races. This means a lot more time and investment as well. You could just add dots or have some basic race diagrams added in. Maybe an option to design your own tracks would be great. Either way, i think a F-1 type game will be more interesting and will have more appeal that a Nascar game. Maybe even better is a cross between the 2.

I think the Movie sim genre is one with much more potential, has much more options and it is one that the GDS community will likely also buy into more as it involves more imagination and role play. If the editor is good there, i expect to see a really strong backing. I do not really mind which one gets done, however i still think the Movie one has significantly more demand, has less competition, will be easier and cheaper to do and is also one the GDS community is unanimously backing.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1998381#post1998381

This idea is a good one. A Football (Soccer) chairman game. When you posted Soccer game i thought you meant something like Football manager. You have no chance competing with them, however a chairman soccer game is one to ponder on for sure.

The big difference is with a chairman game you do not run training or the matches. The manager you hire and coaches do that. You can also hire people which will run other aspects of the club as well.

Your job will be:

-Recruit the right manager

-Recruit the right coaching staff to surround him

-Buy / sell players

-Build facilities for training or things such as coffee shops, restaurants, VIP boxes

-Build/expand stadium

-Expanding fan clubs around to the world to increase sales

-Creating your own TV network or sign deals with existing providers

-Improve / expand youth facilities

-Create strategic relations with clubs for talent exchange + improving merch sales

-Signing sponsorships

-Dealing with the press

-Dealing with players/manager/fan reactions to various decisions

-Build your own production for clothing or merchandise or sign deals with existing manufacturers.

In short your goal is to create the best franchise, it is more of a Football tycoon game. Football manager actually you do not do almost any of the above. You are the manager. You can recommend the board to do some of them, but that is it. Your main job in that game is picking the tactics, buying players and training. In this game you wont need to put much focus on the players skills, nothing on tactics or training, that is going to be seriously simplified. Players will be just showing the age, basic skills (attacking, pace etc), popularity in various markets (for sales) + character (how difficult or easy to work with). Tactics will be simplified as well (4-4-2, 4-3-3 etc) and you do not pick those.

You can still "influence" your manager to play certain players more, especially those which are very popular and increase sales of shirts or are popular with the fans, also you can ask your manager to play more offensive football but overall it is mostly the manager which decides. Some managers will be more offense orientated, others play more cautiously etc. The manager, players could make suggestions as well such as who they would like you to buy or what is needed (like a new striker).

Now, needless to say, Soccer is the #1 sport in the world and there is no serious chairman game out there besides an ipad game and a couple of online games which are basically manager games .:)

I was thinking maybe an approach like this, but from a Lead Executive Producer's standpoint for a Movie game. It's a perspective that hasn't been taken before, for sure.

You would lead a team of Producers that you can recruit, and they would go out and get movie projects (with varying degrees of success) and you would need to step at certain points to make decisions. For example:

Is a movie going too far over budget and you need to cut it off? Do you need replace actors/directors that are being disruptive and/or not getting along? Do you need to replace a producer that just hasn't signed profitable movies for awhile, but has won awards and has artistic merit? Do you need to step in and fire a screenwriter that just isn't getting it done?

Your job would be to groom a stable of producers that consistent produce quality and profitable films.

What does everyone think of that perspective from a Movie game? It hasn't been done exactly that way before.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1998381#post1998381

This idea is a good one. A Football (Soccer) chairman game. When you posted Soccer game i thought you meant something like Football manager. You have no chance competing with them, however a chairman soccer game is one to ponder on for sure.

The big difference is with a chairman game you do not run training or the matches. The manager you hire and coaches do that. You can also hire people which will run other aspects of the club as well.

Your job will be:

-Recruit the right manager

-Recruit the right coaching staff to surround him

-Buy / sell players

-Build facilities for training or things such as coffee shops, restaurants, VIP boxes

-Build/expand stadium

-Expanding fan clubs around to the world to increase sales

-Creating your own TV network or sign deals with existing providers

-Improve / expand youth facilities

-Create strategic relations with clubs for talent exchange + improving merch sales

-Signing sponsorships

-Dealing with the press

-Dealing with players/manager/fan reactions to various decisions

-Build your own production for clothing or merchandise or sign deals with existing manufacturers.

In short your goal is to create the best franchise, it is more of a Football tycoon game. Football manager actually you do not do almost any of the above. You are the manager. You can recommend the board to do some of them, but that is it. Your main job in that game is picking the tactics, buying players and training. In this game you wont need to put much focus on the players skills, nothing on tactics or training, that is going to be seriously simplified. Players will be just showing the age, basic skills (attacking, pace etc), popularity in various markets (for sales) + character (how difficult or easy to work with). Tactics will be simplified as well (4-4-2, 4-3-3 etc) and you do not pick those.

You can still "influence" your manager to play certain players more, especially those which are very popular and increase sales of shirts or are popular with the fans, also you can ask your manager to play more offensive football but overall it is mostly the manager which decides. Some managers will be more offense orientated, others play more cautiously etc. The manager, players could make suggestions as well such as who they would like you to buy or what is needed (like a new striker).

Now, needless to say, Soccer is the #1 sport in the world and there is no serious chairman game out there besides an ipad game and a couple of online games which are basically manager games .:)

I was thinking maybe an approach like this, but from a Lead Executive Producer's standpoint for a Movie game. It's a perspective that hasn't been taken before, for sure.

You would lead a team of Producers that you can recruit, and they would go out and get movie projects (with varying degrees of success) and you would need to step at certain points to make decisions. For example:

Is a movie going too far over budget and you need to cut it off? Do you need replace actors/directors that are being disruptive and/or not getting along? Do you need to replace a producer that just hasn't signed profitable movies for awhile, but has won awards and has artistic merit? Do you need to step in and fire a screenwriter that just isn't getting it done?

Your job would be to groom a stable of producers that consistent produce quality and profitable films.

What does everyone think of that perspective from a Movie game? It hasn't been done exactly that way before.

I don't know. Could be good but my gut reaction is to be worried we'd end up in even taller an ivory tower than Hollywood Mogul 3 or TEW 2005 had us in. If you can make this approach work and us players still be a part of the story world rather than being above it all, it could be good. But I think I might have to play a demo of a game set up this way to be confident that would be the case.

Chairman games in general have rarely been done mainly because the big problem is that basically "you dont do much", lol. Essentially you are the chairman so you are not suppose to do much.

I think a Football chairman game is probably one with unlimited potential though due to the overall fan base there is there, plus there is plenty of things you can do there.

The problem with a Movie sim game is that i think there will be even less to do. There was little to do in the Movie Hollywood games as it is, so if we are getting rid of a lot of the features it could make it even more boring. Besides that, i think that a proper Movie sim has never really been created so far.

The difference between a football chairman vs a movie chairman game is that with the Football game you are going to make success 100% if it is a good game, where as a Movie chairman game it is not a given because the Movie genre in general has never really had a massive hit so far. A lot of that has to do with the fact that we have never had a proper Movie game besides the "Movies" which was made around 10 years ago now.

I am not certain what i would do in your place, maybe i would consider the Football chairman game even if you know little about football itself.

I think best projects are soccer or movies.

However I think movies has more ground to develop.

A sim-movie game has a far smaller customer base but the incumbent game is Hollywood Mogul2, a fine game in his moment but I think somewhat dated. Also I do not believe that the role should be very restricted, but this is another question.

A soccer game has a fantastic customer base. But it has also the cutting-edge managing games of the world. FM, Fifa Manager, FX manager... The incumbents are big guys with very good games. And there are a lot of smaller guys in the market (what can be saw as a good thing/bad thing).

So it's just a decision. A big fish in a small pond or a very small fish in a very big pond?

I think best projects are soccer or movies.

So it's just a decision. A big fish in a small pond or a very small fish in a very big pond?

That is the big question. I think if it is an out and out manager soccer sim then you are ****ed for sure. No chance against FM2014, however that said most of the other Soccer manager games have basically given up now, it is just FM with playing. If this game will be a chairman game though it is something new. A lot of the old core fans of Soccer manager games have gotten a bit tired of the tedious part of managing and training players. It has a different feel to being "the boss/owner" of the club.

Put it this way, a soccer chairman game which is done half decent should sell pretty good, the Movie game could be fantastic and still struggle because we have never had a Movie game which has ever done really well.

I see the poll has changed so I'm guessing your either going away from the movie idea or just opening it up to see what else you might want to do.

I still think the idea of a good movie studio game would be great. I would like to stress the good. Hollywood Mogul is not good. It has a lot of things that you can do but the interface is horrible and overall even with its bevy of options it is really flat as far as actual gameplay. I won't even get started on the other alternative. But if could do this kind of game right it could be very popular.

The second one would have to be a music game. Music Wars was a decent game but music wars rebirth was just a mess. I think it tried to get the current industry to accurate. Not that being accurate is bad but because of the game play mechanics it just felt like you got a lot of really cool and interesting things to do but you don't actually do anything with them. It all just ended up being filler. You can't just add digital music but not actually have it have any real effect on how you play the game. A good music game would be amazing.

I know Comic books are Adam's territory but I don't feel like Comic Book Hero was the greatest game nor was it the best received. Thats not a knock on him. I'm glad he tried something new and it be great if he took the suggestions he got from it and made it into a much better game. But he currently has 3 series that he's currently turning out without it so if you could do a comic book game and get it right that would probably triumph a movie or music game specially with this fan base.

I see the poll has changed so I'm guessing your either going away from the movie idea or just opening it up to see what else you might want to do.

I still think the idea of a good movie studio game would be great. I would like to stress the good. Hollywood Mogul is not good. It has a lot of things that you can do but the interface is horrible and overall even with its bevy of options it is really flat as far as actual gameplay. I won't even get started on the other alternative. But if could do this kind of game right it could be very popular.

The second one would have to be a music game. Music Wars was a decent game but music wars rebirth was just a mess. I think it tried to get the current industry to accurate. Not that being accurate is bad but because of the game play mechanics it just felt like you got a lot of really cool and interesting things to do but you don't actually do anything with them. It all just ended up being filler. You can't just add digital music but not actually have it have any real effect on how you play the game. A good music game would be amazing.

I know Comic books are Adam's territory but I don't feel like Comic Book Hero was the greatest game nor was it the best received. Thats not a knock on him. I'm glad he tried something new and it be great if he took the suggestions he got from it and made it into a much better game. But he currently has 3 series that he's currently turning out without it so if you could do a comic book game and get it right that would probably triumph a movie or music game specially with this fan base.

The poll hasn't changed.. you're just in the wrong thread. :p

I wouldn't mind playing a movie or tv show sim.

I guess the tv show concept would be more fun to play. Maybe you could be the head of a network and choose pilots and stuff to beat the other networks, trying to have higher ratings... idk

I personally feel that a TV studio head kind of game is awesome too. Movie studio has been done many times but there's no solid TV network type of game just yet. Or maybe if you are going for the producer idea then we can be producer of a movie studio or a tv network or both?

• 1 year later...

I'd like something a bit more meta. Like a Sports Agent Mogul type concept. You can start focused on one sport and build your client base there and then perhaps branch out into other sports (perhaps as a result of an existing client having the opportunity to play more than one - ala Mark Rodgers and Russell Wilson).

If the different rules of the different games cannot be individually represented, you can use general categories. For example, 'Hard salary cap' (NFL), 'Soft salary cap' (NBA), 'Pseudo salary cap' (NHL/MLS), 'no limits' (MLB/international soccer). That way, you'd have to hire staff that could help to determine what each client's true value is and how to price them for the market. People signing before you could increase your client's value (ala Cam Newton -> Russell Wilson) based on the set of criteria you focus on.

It would create a competitive atmosphere almost on par with TEW in that different agents have different methods and landing a Hall of Fame level client and ensuring their loyalty, can make or break you (ala Brett Favre & Bus Cook). Also, having a particular type of personality can endear you to some clients and drive others off (ala Drew Rosenhaus). And in some sports (international soccer), you can even find yourself in a position of power to get your client into a better situation (i.e. forcing a transfer).

This is something that, to my knowledge, has never been done but which pretty much everyone would be interested in. Any sports fan that has said, "How is he worth THAT?" would at least want to try the demo to see how these kinds of things are done. I'm acquainted with an agent who I've spoken to at length about the differences between NFL contracts and every other sport ("offset language", "structure", NLTBE (not likely to be earned) bonuses which look good in the newspaper but don't amount to anything, etc) and it can be cool just seeing what people can come up with. There's public perception to deal with on the part of the team and industry perception to deal with for the agent (i.e. whether you got your guy "the best deal"). You can even use a ladder system to make folks earn their way onto the big stage. Like, you start with club level clients (international soccer) or minor league/small sport clients (WNBA, minor league baseball, fringe/D-league prospects in basketball, etc) and as your reputation grows, you start gaining access to higher profile clients. You can even focus on specific positions (as Leigh Steinberg did in the 80s with 'the Quarterback Club').

Lots of depth can be built in OR it could become a new franchise altogether. Start with one sport and then expand into others ("NFL Agent", "MLB Agent", "Football Agent", "NBA Agent", etc).

• 6 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wrestling Century" data-cite="Wrestling Century" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38072" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I would love a movie or TV sim. Another cool one would be a boxing sim, I know Mr. Ryland has said in the past that he isn't interested in doing a boxing sim, but maybe you would consider it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Old thread but I was thinking this as well. Being a person who has worked in both film and television on a Producer level I can say that the show building theories used in TEW are in line with tv.</p><p> </p><p> It would be cool to have a Television Network Sim or Movie Studio sim or some combination of the both where you run the network itself and go out; look for content, set your product settings, negotiate deals, manage budget. So basically TEW but instead of Workers that you hire for your company you have shows that you bring in to your network.</p>

Definitely an "entertainment sim". COuld cover movies music and Television. At least movies and TV. People don't seem to give enough importance to TV. To make a great movie game it would also have to include TV, which ends up being the path that many start end up following especially in later years. I would love for a game that had both TV and Movies management.

Archived