The Lucha Underground Thread

Jaysin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just caught the first 2 episodes on Xfinity On Demand and I am blown away! I actually enjoyed watching a wrestling program for once, I didn't fast forward a single minute! I really dig Prince Puma's character, mostly because I came up with a similar story for Lord Jaguar in my E Fedding days...

<p>Really liked tonight's episode of Lucha Underground there were four matches tonight.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ivelisse vs. Sexy Star</strong> had a hell of a women's match. </p><p>

<strong>Pentagon Jr. vs. Fenix</strong> also had a really fun match, that is worth seeing.</p><p>

<strong>Drago vs. Cuerno</strong> was a decent match with an impressive finishing sequence.</p><p> </p><p>

The Main Event was <strong>Big Ryck taking on Johnny Mundo</strong> the match was good but I wasn't a fan of the finish. I get the reason it was booked that way because they want to slow build the feud a bit more but it was extremely underwhelming.</p>

I've really been enjoying Lucha Underground so far, it's a fun and compact show with very little wasted time. Every week there is something fun to take home and I think this week's episode was my favourite so far. Mundo has been all kinds of entertaining so far, just seems to be allowed to go out and do what he wants... which is just cool. Drago looks awesome, one of the most vissually impressive guys I've seen in a long time. Fenix and Prince Puma have so far been very exciting performers with a knack of getting the crowd on their side. And the heels in general have been doing a great job of being bad in various ways. Matt Striker and Vampiro have even been a very good commentary team so far, helping to clue me in on all the facets of lucha libre that I might otherwise have had no idea about. Even Chavo has been fun to watch. :)

All in all, it's been great to watch so far. Looking forward to seeing more. :D

<p>Finally got to watch Ep 4.</p><p> </p><p>

Agree with TakerNGN74 on the in ring stuff, all very solid, and when we were allowed to watch Jonny and Ryck they were doing good (if more traditional American) stuff. </p><p> </p><p>

While I understood the storyline reasons for doing it, I didn't like the 'cinematic' cutscene to the locker room where Puma was punked by Ryck's minions. Wasn't acknowledged by Striker/Vampiro, you don't even know if the live audience saw it (I'm guessing they didn't), it takes you out of the moment and spoils the run-in. I hope the wrestling folks on staff persuade Burnett not to do more of that.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't mind the DQ finish, really. I think it would have been better to not have the cutscene, do the run-in and DQ, then cut to the back and have Konnan find Puma laid out on the locker room floor and leave us with his stewing anger, leaving us to anticipate his argument with Cueto next week.</p><p> </p><p>

I love the fact that the storylines to date have not been two dimensional -- that's the positive influence I think Burnett has, he's offered more complex, more real relationships than tecnico v. rudo.</p><p> </p><p>

Looking forward to the next show. Any word on whether they've taped more than the original set of episodes (8, I believe)?</p>

<p>Wallbanger I definitely agree on your thoughts on the cut scene because as I was watching it, it really threw me off and took me out of the moment which wasn't good. </p><p> </p><p>

I hope they don't do more of that in the future because it didn't work all that well but we shall see whether or not that kind of stuff continues during matches. It just didn't come off as they way it was probably intended to at least from my perspective anyway.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the crowd are extras hired to cheer/boo anyway Wallbanger. Lucha Undergrounds production is more like a TV show than a wrestling event (which for the viewer at home is great).

I have to say I am loving it at the moment. Especially as I can now get to see the likes of Drago and Fenix. Was never a fan of Big Ryck (even in his Ezekial Jackson days) but he brings something different to the table. Besides which, Lucha Underground have got me caring about a wrestlers storyline who I've not cared about since WCW was in business... Chavo Guerrero. Absolutely loving his heel turn after episode 2.

Did anyone else notice the AAA Mixed Tag Team Champions on opposite teams last week (Sexy Star & Pentagon, Jr.)?

Liked the ladder match. They gave it enough time (not an easy task for a one hour show), some really eye-popping spots, and served as a great blowoff for the original storyline. Didn't understand the unknown run in and the reveal wasn't sold very hard, but since it didn't affect the finish I wasn't overly annoyed.

Striker and Vampiro were having an 'off night', or they were tired if that was the last show they taped in a day (I don't know how many episodes they tape in a session). Whatever the reason, Matt's voice was shot and Vampiro seemed to forget who he was supposed to like and not like.

Also, did anyone notice that the ring announcer dropped her accent for one episode? She's been using the Hispanic pronounciation of 'x' consistently, then in last week's episode she used the Anglo pronounciation of 'x', then in this week's episode she was back to the Hispanic pronoucniation of 'x'. Yeah, it's a little thing, but it's noticable.

was that B-boy as the mysterious attacker, i couldn't understand why he need to be masked, unless its just Pentagon Jnr it was his mask right

Also just looking at the wikipedia, it says Prince Puma is the Luchador Champion did i miss something sure i have watched all of them now

was that B-boy as the mysterious attacker, i couldn't understand why he need to be masked, unless its just Pentagon Jnr it was his mask right

Also just looking at the wikipedia, it says Prince Puma is the Luchador Champion did i miss something sure i have watched all of them now

Spoiler in white: Prince Puma was crowned the first Lucha Underground Champion sometime ago but it hasn't aired yet.

I checked out some of the Underground on youtube. Flashy, fast paced and spotty matches. It was a nice change of pace between the WWE and NXT, honeslty i like NXT's style better. Can't go wrong with what LU is doing currently. I'll have to try to keep up.

Good to see Big Zeke getting some love. Nitro/Morrison/Mundo, what can i say, great worker and good to see him out there looking happy. I haven't really seen the rest of the roster but i'll look it up every so often.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Digging this thread up after an unreasonably lengthy period of it being quiet. Lucha Underground continues to be amazing each and every week. The second Aztec Warfare just went down... I'm so excited. :) No spoilers from me but you should already be watching the show every week as it is and this was amazing. :D

But Derek, I can't watch it legally! :(

Jack Evans' career resurgence in 2016 thanks to LU is my favourite wrestling thing so far.

Same boat for me. I've heard that it's available on itunes in the US, so maybe they'll release it over here too.

I want to give them money for their product!

I also can't watch it legally... if only there were places online that hosted content to put us in a position to be able to watch things then follow the in-show advertising to official merchandise that could be bought! Somewhere to.... watchwrestling or something! :eek:

I also can't watch it legally... if only there were places online that hosted content to put us in a position to be able to watch things then follow the in-show advertising to official merchandise that could be bought! Somewhere to.... watchwrestling or something! :eek:

Same boat for me. I've heard that it's available on itunes in the US, so maybe they'll release it over here too.

I want to give them money for their product!

I'm with Devilb0y. Sad to hear that Netflix lowballed them so we've got to wait a while longer.

Archived