Running WMMA4 on Mac (using wine)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a step-by-step process:

1) Download wine from the following link:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

2) Open wine

3) Click on the wineglass on the upper task bar and select "wine tricks" on the drop down box.

4) Check off the following wine tricks: (if you have trouble try doing each individually as opposed to all of them together)

a) internet explorer 6 (ie6)

b) visual basics 6 (vb6run)

c) jet40

d) native_oleaut32 [this is optional and won't always be needed but doesn't hurt]

5) Follow the installation process for each of these.

6) Once completed the game should open and work perfectly. There is one minor issue that sometimes occurs due to "tick boxes" in the game (this is known as the infamous "ovsbooleancontrols error"). In order to fix this go to Finder and put "ovs" into the search bar. A file will appear that is named "ovs..." (the ... represent some random letters/symbols). Simply right-click this file, click get info, and rename it: ovsbooleancontrols.ocx

7) If you followed all these steps correctly you will have no issues installing, opening, or running WMMA4 on mac. Enjoy!

8) If you have any issues or questions just ask and I'll try my best to answer

It opens a page to

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-MDAC-2-7-Service-Pack-1-Refresh/3000-10250_4-10729498.html

and then says "Prefix creation exited with error"

###BOTTLING### installing jet40

------------------------------------------------------

Please download mdac_typ.exe from http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-MDAC-2-7-Service-Pack-1-Refresh/3000-10250_4-10729498.html, place it in /Users/Family/.cache/winetricks/mdac27, then re-run this script.

------------------------------------------------------

### LOG ### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1418001681/winetricks.sh --no-isolate jet40' returned status 1.

Executing w_do_call jet40 Executing load_jet40 Executing w_do_call mdac27 Executing load_mdac27

###ERROR### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1418001681/winetricks.sh --no-isolate jet40' returned status 1.

Task returned with status 15.

So you downloaded it and it still didn't work? Cause it should automatically install into the correct and you shouldn't have to manually place it. I thats what your saying I will look around for that file but I have a feeling you did something wrong because I never had that issue

EDIT: I guess I should say that I had an issue installing Jet40 because it kept opening that website but all I needed to do was install the component on the website and then retry Jet40 and everything worked fine.

Capelli King I haven't ever played the game on PC but all the features work correctly so no, there isn't any difference at all. Its the exact same game

Just a note to anyone, I have run WMMA in the past using Wine on my Mac but would run into some errors from time to time. Though I don't know much about coding or the program Wine. Has anyone had any luck using bootcamp or something more official?

So I wouldn't let this be a purchasing factor going forward unless it's otherwise stated that this build runs seamlessly.

Just a note to anyone, I have run WMMA in the past using Wine on my Mac but would run into some errors from time to time. Though I don't know much about coding or the program Wine. Has anyone had any luck using bootcamp or something more official?

So I wouldn't let this be a purchasing factor going forward unless it's otherwise stated that this build runs seamlessly.

I can personally guarantee that if you do everything correctly it does run seamlessly. I don't use bootcamp because it involves running windows on my computer which is pointless. Wine is much easier and works just as well. If you have a working version of windows and prefer to do that then great, go ahead but don't tell other people this doesn't work when the reason I posted it is because I know it does.

If you tried and it didn't work let me know what happened and I can try to help you fix it

You mean when you try to open wine or when you try to open WMMA 4?

EDIT: If you are talking about the installer for WMMA 4 then simply go to downloads in finder, it will be a app called: WMMA4_RETAIL.EXE just clock on this .exe file and the installer will open

No, I mean for Wine. It opens a folder called wine-1.6.2. It just contains about 100 files and I have no idea which opens Wine. Any ideas?

Its been awhile since I downloaded wine. Give me some time and I will look into this for you. Hopefully it won't take me too long but if I don't figure it out by tonight I will private message you.

In the meantime if anyone else knows what the issue here is feel free to chip in. Im not 100% sure what the issue is as I don't remember having the problem.

Archived