Old School Rules [HYPE]

Old School Rules

Fighters: 1200+

Companies: 20

Teams: 120

Old School Rules will begin in November of 1993, right around the time the UFC was created.

This mod will continue to be updated as time goes on, and if you have suggestions for fighters after initial release I will do my best to add them.

This mod will also have as close as possible to a complete picture pack, to increase immersion.

I'm aiming for a release by the end of the year, if not mid January at the latest :)

Always room for quality mods. Plenty of other time periods that could be covered too.

I'm working on 1998. 475 fighters, all who debut before 1998 so far. Once I get the whole pre-1998 game world set up, I'll do an alpha release, and then start adding fighters who debut afterwards.

I hope someone digs into your free data you posted and makes a UFC/Affliction/EliteXC/Strikeforce era mod. That was a great time period from a gameplay perspective. So many companies competing, and so much talent spread around.

I'm working on 1998. 475 fighters, all who debut before 1998 so far. Once I get the whole pre-1998 game world set up, I'll do an alpha release, and then start adding fighters who debut afterwards.

I hope someone digs into your free data you posted and makes a UFC/Affliction/EliteXC/Strikeforce era mod. That was a great time period from a gameplay perspective. So many companies competing, and so much talent spread around.

Yea me too. I wish I still had some of my really early mods left. The most fun i remember haven just playing the mod was back when the IFL was a thing. My other favorite was the height of the dream/sengoku war, when ishii was the big free agent.

Another little progress report.

UFC Fighters all the way up to about 2010 are done, although I'll be going through 07-14 to double check them and make sure they're all up to standard.

Currently working on Pancrase's fighters from 93 to 2014. This should be a significantly smaller task as a lot of the earlier fighters jumped between UFC & Pancrase, along with the fact that Pancrase used a lot of the same fighters over and over again.

Hopefully in future updates of this mod I'll be able to add in companies like Shooto & RINGS.

Future tasks also involve adding in Bellator & World Series of Fighting, although I may leave those to a future update so I can get a version of this uploaded and released to the public.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="D16NJD16" data-cite="D16NJD16" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38844" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I remember this mod being done in WMMA 2 maybe....not sure if that would be a helpful resour</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If I didn't have the bulk of the fighters done already, then it probably would've been helpful but I've been working on this for long enough that I'm not really needing much else in terms of resources.</p>

<p>Another progress report.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>1500 Fighters +</strong></p><p>

Since the original post date, over 300 fighters have been added to the game to liven up the early Japanese scene, as well as to fill out the later years with names like TJ Dillashaw & John Dodson.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Pancrase, Bellator & WSOF Added</strong></p><p>

The rosters of Pancrase, Bellator & WSOF have been added. If I can manage to get Shooto or RINGS in before my preferred release date, so be it, but if not they will be included in a future update.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>25% of Pictures Completed</strong></p><p>

This is by far the largest task, but it is going very smoothly. I've had very little troubles finding pictures for anyone. Following fighter pictures I will be completing company logos, broadcaster logos & team logos, which will bring me to my preferred release date.</p><p> </p><p>

Once I complete fighter pictures and begin working on the smaller task (company, broadcasters & teams) I will post the official release date for you guys.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

Just cleared 1600 fighters, haven't had much time to work on this due to the holidays and all. Over half of the fighter pictures have been completed leaving us with just eight hundred of the already added fighters to be assigned a picture.

All company logos, broadcaster logos, and all other aesthetics have been completed so all that remains to be done is adding in a couple hundred more fighters and pictures to go with them.

It was suggested on the WMMA3 Suggestions board that bare knuckles should be included in the rules so we could do things like accurately represent this time period.

Adam chose to ignore the request. No headbutts or low blows like we saw in the early UFC shows either.

You're such a clown.. So that was your big suggestion thread that led you to posting this embarrassing thread??

Believe it or not, Adam doesn't have the capability, ability (or perhaps desire) to add every single thing that is put on the suggestions forum .. Hardly means it was 'ignored' ..

Look at your thread.. *One* person replied agreeing with your idea.. That's hardly an overwhelming amount of public support that would spur a developer into action on a certain item.

Maybe just imagine they aren't wearing gloves.

The fact that people spend hundreds of hours of their lives making mods dedicated to the bare knuckle era suggests there's a much bigger market than two people.

While I'm imagining things, why don't I just imagine my balls in your mouth?

You know who else spent hundreds of hours on something? Adam, on WMMA4... It might not be perfect but anyone who has played 3 and 4 can see that. Yet you decided to accuse him of just trying to bilk us all out of money with the release. Weird he keeps patching the game if he already got everyone's money, no? There are a lot of things about WMMA4 I don't like, but your assumptions are ridiculous.

Truth be told the no gloves thing isn't even a bad suggestion. I know nothing of programming but I wouldn't think it would be overly hard to implement (increase knockouts and hand injuries in such orgs, etc.)

But the way you approach things is likely not the way to endear yourself to anyone here.

Your other suggestions that were apparently ignored... Boxing gloves and ability to restrict takedowns... This is an MMA sim, not boxing.

Then again, considering you referred to modern day MMA as "that homo crap"... Maybe this game isn't for you.

I won't even bother dignifying you with a response to the comment about your balls.

It was suggested on the WMMA3 Suggestions board that bare knuckles should be included in the rules so we could do things like accurately represent this time period.

Adam chose to ignore the request. No headbutts or low blows like we saw in the early UFC shows either.

I can't tell if I'm overthinking your post or if you're actually just trying to plug your own ideas.

Another little progress report.

Haven't gotten to do as much work on this as I'd hope in recent days just because of work and school picking up again, but we're rounding the corner to 2000 fighters, and Bellator has been completed. I'm planning on going through the UFC events and filling in any of the gaps of missing fighters.

There are still a few of the early UFC guys that I literally cannot find pictures for. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Dave Berry from the early UFC days, so if anyone has a resource for pictures for some of those older guys I'd really appreciate it :)

Last on the to-do list is broadcaster logos & team logos, which are coming along quite well. I feel comfortable enough with the progress to give somewhat of a soft release date, so you can expect the mod to be released in or around the January 31st - February 7th region.

Hope you guys are having a good day!

Appreciate it, Phil!

Another little progress update, hopefully last before release date :)

Total fighter count at the moment is just over 2400. It covers almost every essential fighter of the last twenty years and then some, and future updates will reflect the always changing fight world. However, the primary goal of this mod is to play through from 93' and onward to see how the game world reflects reality. Any updates to existing material in the mod after release date will mainly involve tweaking fighters skills and attributes to be more in-line with their current form, however, the ideal is to evaluate a fighter as close to his / her actual debut in order to make it as close to reality as possible.

Pictures are coming along quite well, after adding in the last batch of fighters I'm left with about 1000 fighter pictures to complete (lately I've been able to complete about 100 - 150 per day so the task isn't as daunting as it seems). Team logos are the next closest to being completed (with nearly a third of them done it should be relatively easy to complete this task), and with belt pictures bringing up the rear as the last task to complete in terms of graphics. Later on I may try to release a skin modeled off of early Sherdog or something like that.

Narratives will hopefully be fleshed out prior to initial release date, although with the lack of options in comparison to TEW, it's difficult to accurately simulate major real life occurrences (such as actual death dates in the case of fighters like Evan Tanner, or major injuries essentially ending careers ala David Terrell). Hopefully that won't get in the way of making this a very fun and challenging mod.

In future expansions, along with individual fighter bios, I hope to give each fighter an individual goal to achieve as the game goes on. This goal would be unique (or avoiding as much repetition as possible, at least) to each fighter and would be achievable based on the player's booking (protective or not). But bios & goals will currently take a back seat as the main goal at the moment is to release a playable, graphically appealing mod to tide people over in between updates.

I'll probably release a short diary closer to release date detailing a twenty-year playthrough to give people an idea of how the game world shapes out and to compare notes.

Ciao for now, I will keep you updated!

• 1 month later...

Archived