Fight/game engine discussions

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its mod, but it would be nice if the engine could be based more on the transitional phases in MMA. I.e. striking then clinching, clinch to take down, switching between striking and grappling in the clinch. Switching between passing and ground and pound. Pretend to strike then shoot for a takedown. Strike and circle away from the fence, etc. More cage fighting as well, i.e. striking then wall stalling. Would prefer to have more ground and pound moments as well.

But I think I am just assuming Adam is basing this more on MMA back then then modern MMA now.

Maybe its mod, but it would be nice if the engine could be based more on the transitional phases in MMA. I.e. striking then clinching, clinch to take down, switching between striking and grappling in the clinch. Switching between passing and ground and pound. Pretend to strike then shoot for a takedown. Strike and circle away from the fence, etc. More cage fighting as well, i.e. striking then wall stalling. Would prefer to have more ground and pound moments as well.

But I think I am just assuming Adam is basing this more on MMA back then then modern MMA now.

Well, I have all of what you said in my game ;) (apart from the strike and circle away from the fence)

EDIT: for 8 takedown, i have a incredibly 5 belly to belly and 2 suplex. the only takedown was a takedown into side control directly

Well, I have all of what you said in my game ;) (apart from the strike and circle away from the fence)

What mod are you using Celuwyn if you don't mind me asking?

My fights tend to just be all striking for entire rounds, with fighters never mixing it up between striking, clinching and takedowns.

It tends to get predictable unfortunately, maybe the last round it ends up with a late take down but even then that is rare as well.

(I am using Modern Warriors 1.1)

My fights tend to just be all striking for entire rounds, with fighters never mixing it up between striking, clinching and takedowns.

It tends to get predictable unfortunately, maybe the last round it ends up with a late take down but even then that is rare as well.

+1 here

I'm Using O+ from Blackman, only female. I have a lot of Striking, clinch, cage work , takedown etc it's pretty mixed. The only thing that bother me is the "but X is taking advantage" and it could result in a round on only striking, but it's not very often

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys think leg locks are broken at the moment? I mean it seems to be difficult to make someone use them. I've rarely seen any leg submissions in the default database, and I've made leglock masters using the editor but they consistently seem to prefer other submissions even though those skills would be much lower. I've simulated dozens of fights using a leglock master versus someone with low submission defense and I haven't seen a leg lock yet, only kimuras, RNC's and guillotines.

I think when you have someone that has 90+ leglocks and the leglock master attribute, they should start to behave like a Rousimar Palhares or perhaps a Marcin Held, and look for leglocks from wherever they can.

Still getting lots of belly2belly suplexes. Occasionally there's indeed the weird all-striking match where someone would never attempt takedowns despite clearly losing everything (and having 95% strategic skill). I wanted to complain about it, but then I saw Cowboy's match and I can see now how people just want to do their job and lose. :p

But the rest of the fights is relatively mixed. O+ basically starts out as the default universe, as I didn't change any of the default fighters' stats.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm using the latest default db with patch 1.20 and there seems to be a lot of KOs rather than TKOs. I noticed that when a defending fighter is knocked down and the attacker is trying to finish the fight, the attacker usually gets the KO rather than getting pulled off by the referee.

Do you guys think leg locks are broken at the moment? I mean it seems to be difficult to make someone use them. I've rarely seen any leg submissions in the default database, and I've made leglock masters using the editor but they consistently seem to prefer other submissions even though those skills would be much lower. I've simulated dozens of fights using a leglock master versus someone with low submission defense and I haven't seen a leg lock yet, only kimuras, RNC's and guillotines.

I think when you have someone that has 90+ leglocks and the leglock master attribute, they should start to behave like a Rousimar Palhares or perhaps a Marcin Held, and look for leglocks from wherever they can.

Would like to bump this issue and add on this: do you think hand injuries are too common? Just had three happen in a single event in 8 fights, which is hardly any sort of conclusive proof but I've been thinking that otherwise as well. It is fairly common in real life MMA for hand injuries to happen, but I don't think they always result in 6 month suspensions. I think there should be less severe medical suspensions for minor and moderate hand injuries, a real break should probably be 6 months or more.

Obviously I'm not an expert on how long a damaged hand will take to heal, but I'd imagine if it's not broken it wouldn't always be 6 months, and maybe the rates of it happening could be altered a little. As was discussed earlier in the thread, better get more opinions and data before making a suggestion thread.

Would like to bump this issue and add on this: do you think hand injuries are too common? Just had three happen in a single event in 8 fights, which is hardly any sort of conclusive proof but I've been thinking that otherwise as well. It is fairly common in real life MMA for hand injuries to happen, but I don't think they always result in 6 month suspensions. I think there should be less severe medical suspensions for minor and moderate hand injuries, a real break should probably be 6 months or more.

Obviously I'm not an expert on how long a damaged hand will take to heal, but I'd imagine if it's not broken it wouldn't always be 6 months, and maybe the rates of it happening could be altered a little. As was discussed earlier in the thread, better get more opinions and data before making a suggestion thread.

I have a lot of broken hands, but for only 30 days or 60 days

Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm using the latest default db with patch 1.20 and there seems to be a lot of KOs rather than TKOs. I noticed that when a defending fighter is knocked down and the attacker is trying to finish the fight, the attacker usually gets the KO rather than getting pulled off by the referee.

Ah nm. I think this isn't a fight engine issue but more related to AI matchmaking. I have a suggestion thread that points that after many years, old dudes with their deteriorated chins are still dominating the top of the divisions such that they are either being fed overmatched young fighters or matched up with other old dudes with bad chins.

Given that situation, you're bound to get a lot more KOs.

I have now been playing for 7 years in my own database where everything is generated from scratch. I would just like to show some numbers and see if you all have about the same numbers. I would like to point out that I have always applied the latest patch when it have become available.

http://i.imgur.com/p6Daeg2.png

First, here is a picture I found of Real life MMA stats, I know that it is impossible to make everything just as real life, but I found the stats interesting. What I found most interesting is that except for the 28 fights that have been recorded this year, there have never been a year that (T)KOs have happened more than submissions.

http://i.imgur.com/vOIoSUs.png

Here is a picture of my 7 years of mma, as you can see the first 3 years everything was about the same. Then just before 1993 came out, I patched the 1.14 patch where lowered chin was fixed, but only played 1 month before patch 1.15 came out where the knock outs where reduced a bit.

Then What I find interesting when looking at both stats is that in my game the TKOs and KOs are around 55% of all fights, and in RL they are around 30%-35% of all fights.

So the point of this post is not that I want the game to be like real life, but just to say that the fight engine and fighter stats need some calculations.

I would just like to see stats from your games so I can see if mine are just heavy on KO since I am playing a entire random generated mod of if this is happening in everyone else's games.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Paatero" data-cite="Paatero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38873" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Do you guys think leg locks are broken at the moment? I mean it seems to be difficult to make someone use them. I've rarely seen any leg submissions in the default database, and I've made leglock masters using the editor but they consistently seem to prefer other submissions even though those skills would be much lower. I've simulated dozens of fights using a leglock master versus someone with low submission defense and I haven't seen a leg lock yet, only kimuras, RNC's and guillotines. <p> </p><p> I think when you have someone that has 90+ leglocks and the leglock master attribute, they should start to behave like a Rousimar Palhares or perhaps a Marcin Held, and look for leglocks from wherever they can.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> totally agree. right now it is not possible to create a leg lock master at all.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Celuwyn" data-cite="Celuwyn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38873" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Too much arm triangle ?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Maybe, it's a fairly common move in real life but does not happen very frequently in the UFC. I think its prominence is mostly because the arm triangle is available from multiple positions (side control and mount) and many of the fighters in the default database have poor submission defense.</p>

North south chokes I've seen quite a bit, not so much the others. I don't even know where a D'arce would happen since the sprawled position is so rare in WMMA4.

In real life it commonly happens when the bottom fighter is going for an underhook in half guard and the top fighter capitalizes. There's not a situation like that in the game engine if I'm not mistaken. Would be good to know where it can happen.

The neck crank is referring to the can opener or something similar I think, since it is attempted from guard top position. I've seen it some in game as well.

North south chokes I've seen quite a bit, not so much the others. I don't even know where a D'arce would happen since the sprawled position is so rare in WMMA4.

In real life it commonly happens when the bottom fighter is going for an underhook in half guard and the top fighter capitalizes. There's not a situation like that in the game engine if I'm not mistaken. Would be good to know where it can happen.

The neck crank is referring to the can opener or something similar I think, since it is attempted from guard top position. I've seen it some in game as well.

Jake shields recently won by a neck crank. Check a vid on youtube. It's from a RNC position (back control), just not a choking technique.

North-South position is very rare in a game. I think I've seen it once. Happens a lot more often in real life, during scrambles. Same with D'arce position.

I don't even know where a D'arce would happen since the sprawled position is so rare in WMMA4.

I have yet to see a D'Arce in game so I don't know. However, the [main] two positions to go for it in real life are the sprawled position as you have already said and the other is from side control if the opponents rolls onto their side toward you (this usually happens if they get rocked/dizzy). Im assuming the game utilizes the latter version since I have also not seen the sprawl position

Archived