Jimmy Snuka Passes At 73

Russelrules44

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Russelrules44" data-cite="Russelrules44" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Love the wrestler, hate the man behind it I say. You can understand the things he did and still love the work he did in the ring.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This is me regarding Benoit. I never liked Snuka in ring as I haven't seen TOO much though.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lukess11" data-cite="lukess11" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is me regarding Benoit. I never liked Snuka in ring as I haven't seen TOO much though.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm sure if you been on this board long enough you have heard my take on Benoit. I'm one of those people who can differentiate their work in the ring from what horrible acts they have committed. Benoit as a wrestler one of my all time favorite. I would say number 3 on my list......but I'm disgusted by the acts that he committed.</p><p> </p><p> Just like Snuka I could easily go back on the network and watch his old matches and not bat an eyelash.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Russelrules44" data-cite="Russelrules44" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Love the wrestler, hate the man behind it I say. You can understand the things he did and still love the work he did in the ring.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I hear this and for me a different name comes to mind. The obvious comparison to Benoit has been made and while the offenses are certainly comparable, I find the comparison flawed. For all the natural links with Benoit, Chris was often played as the cold, calculating assassin in the ring. Very rarely was he presented in the story world as someone to emulate the way Snuka was.</p><p> </p><p> For me, the name that comes to mind when I think of this principle and apply it to Snuka is Gentleman Chris Adams. Granted the worst acts that Adams ever committed can't stack up to those of a Snuka or a Benoit. But like Snuka, Adams at the time I was able to watch him regularly was held up in the story world as a hero. He was promoted as a man to emulate and given that I was coming of age when I was watching Adams regularly, his Gentleman persona was something I strove to emulate. So when he died and stories started coming about the man Chris Adams was behind the scenes, it was hard to stomach. The disparity between on-screen character and off screen lack of it was a difficult juxtaposition to swallow. That's more how it is with Snuka. The gap between the Supe Supe SUPA! FLY! persona and the real man is so wide that it makes the reality hard to swallow. Love the Superfly and always will. But as far as Snuka the man, I'd be happy if I never had to think about his existence ever again.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sabataged" data-cite="sabataged" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That is this recent trial. He never stood trial for her murder even though he lost a private court battle and was ordered to pay the ladies parents 500k.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's not really accurate either. He lost a "battle" in the sense that he never responded to the lawsuit and they entered a judgment that they were never able to collect.</p><p> </p><p> And while obviously what happened to Nancy Argentino isn't right, up to and including the police bungling the investigation, but the lack of empathy for a guy dying of cancer while suffering from dementia caused by <em>entertaining people</em> is just a reminder that the world needs more empathy in general.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's not really accurate either. He lost a "battle" in the sense that he never responded to the lawsuit and they entered a judgment that they were never able to collect.<p> </p><p> And while obviously what happened to Nancy Argentino isn't right, up to and including the police bungling the investigation, but the lack of empathy for a guy dying of cancer while suffering from dementia caused by <em>entertaining people</em> is just a reminder that the world needs more empathy in general.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Do you believe he murdered her? If yes, empathy is not a response to have.</p><p> </p><p> If no, then I understand</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> One of my friends met a guy and dared him fir 7 years, he was a convicted six offender. You know I felt no sympathy for him or her when he died. He mentally tortured a child 15 and took something from her that she can never get back.</p><p> </p><p> The same goes for Snucka. IF he killed her, he took something from a family that they will NEVER GET BACK. Entertainer or not, he doesn't deserve it. I don't care if wrestling hurt him, he got to live a life of "fame" and she got death.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43166" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Do you believe he murdered her? If yes, empathy is not a response to have.<p> </p><p> If no, then I understand</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> One of my friends met a guy and dared him fir 7 years, he was a convicted six offender. You know I felt no sympathy for him or her when he died. He mentally tortured a child 15 and took something from her that she can never get back.</p><p> </p><p> The same goes for Snucka. IF he killed her, he took something from a family that they will NEVER GET BACK. Entertainer or not, he doesn't deserve it. I don't care if wrestling hurt him, he got to live a life of "fame" and she got death.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have no real interest in getting into this, but I'll make one post. Do I think he was responsible for Nancy Argentino's death? Yes. Do I think he committed murder, as in, did he kill her intentionally, with malice aforethought? I don't know, and since I don't know, I'm not in a good position to sit in judgment or say that no one is allowed to feel bad for a guy dying of cancer or that people can't appreciate the work he did. And I don't think it's a positive sign in the wrestling "universe" at large that the response from so many is that somehow it's <span style="text-decoration:underline;">good</span> that a guy dies of terminal cancer. To me, that's a toxic view of the world.</p>

<p>I absolutely loved Jimmy Snuka when I was a kid, for all the reasons that cappyboy brought up and then some. I'm actually opposite of K-Nection, as in I have a hard time watching these guys now, because of what they did as fact, or what they might have done depending on whose opinion is more accurate.</p><p> </p><p>

I have a hard time with the press these days period. It's so hard to know what really happened with something like Snuka,because the "news" isn't just the facts being thrown up, but facts with an opinion tied to it.</p><p> </p><p>

IF I could just look at the facts I'm sitting closest to lazorbeak's thoughts. The man was abusive, the facts are there. Did he beat her to death, or was it a fall on pavement as Snuka said? I don't know... but given the evidence of abuse by quotes from friends around him, I can't help but to believe he made up the story and he was directly responsible for her death as well. </p><p> </p><p>

The problem is the "fan" inside me still see's him as the hero coming to the ring to beat the cheating villains and saving the good guys. It's hard, as I've gone on record many times, even on this forum, as saying how much of a fan of him I am (or used to be). I mean, in all honesty at one point back in the 80's, he was the only reason I was watching wrestling at all, as far as the in ring action went anyways. Piper, Albino, etc. I used to love to hear them talk, and didn't even realize that was the main reason I liked them at the time.</p><p> </p><p>

Anyways, I hate what he did, but I can't help but to still root for him when I see an old match of his. If I didn't have the wrestling history as a memory, I would probably think just like Motor, since if it were anyone else that I didn't have that history with, it's exactly what I would have been thinking.</p>

Archived