How to Book a Main Event Match?

I posted this in the Small Questions thread, before realizing that perhaps it wasn't such a small question after all:

[edited]

I'm running Golden Canvas Grappling and my main events are roughly around the 80 mark - when running an observer game, the AI is getting main events 85-90. My main events are usually 25-40 minutes, called in ring, slow build, default match aim. Is there any way to see what notes the AI is using? Using other match aims I used usually just tanked my grades a bit but maybe I should've kept trying with epic, spectacle, technical masterpiece, etc.?

As an example,

In my observer game Hiroyasu Gakusha going to a draw with Jimmy Cox scored 91, Toshiharu Hyobanshu defeating SUKI scored 93, Gakusha defeating Hyobanshu scored a 96 (!) and I've never touched those kind of grades.

Thanks for the help!

I'm essentially asking about the best way to book a main event between two workers who should, by all accounts, be able to put on world class matches. Am I messing up somewhere with the crowd management? I can't quite seem to figure out how to peak the crowd in the right way, would that make the difference? I'm usually getting dinged for announcing quality too since my team only has Low experience.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I posted this in the Small Questions thread, before realizing that perhaps it wasn't such a small question after all:<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I'm essentially asking about the best way to book a main event between two workers who should, by all accounts, be able to put on world class matches. Am I messing up somewhere with the crowd management? I can't quite seem to figure out how to peak the crowd in the right way, would that make the difference? I'm usually getting dinged for announcing quality too since my team only has Low experience.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> There's lots of things that affect a match. Obviously looking on the dirt sheet would help.</p><p> </p><p> If you have perfect show theory on, then there's a good chance that will make a difference. Storylines too. </p><p> </p><p> As in real life, it's not just about picking a match between two people and putting them in the main event and expecting it to score high.</p><p> </p><p> Without knowing the exacts I can't help you any more as i don't knownwhonthe workers are and what the promotion is. Other people proabably will</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I posted this in the Small Questions thread, before realizing that perhaps it wasn't such a small question after all:<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I'm essentially asking about the best way to book a main event between two workers who should, by all accounts, be able to put on world class matches. Am I messing up somewhere with the crowd management? I can't quite seem to figure out how to peak the crowd in the right way, would that make the difference? I'm usually getting dinged for announcing quality too since my team only has Low experience.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Instead of saying slow build make use of your match aims instead. If the match is going 20+ minutes try using match aims such as Epic and Spectacle.</p>

<p>Can you post some of your full card results? It would be easier for me to help you that way.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Instead of saying slow build make use of your match aims instead. If the match is going 20+ minutes try using match aims such as Epic and Spectacle.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've never had any success with those two aims.</p>

Guest skinsfan55

<p>I have a hard time with this too. I've simmed a year or so with USPW and Steve Frehley constantly has 90+ matches with a variety of opponents like Enygma, Nicky Champion, James Justice, Rick Law... </p><p> </p><p>

I'm lucky if he can get an 80 or so and the low main events drag down my show rating. How is the CPU doing it better than me? Momentum? Higher storyline heat? Cheating?</p>

<p><span>http://i.imgur.com/CKZN4cu.png</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i.imgur.com/H5hqHZx.png</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i.imgur.com/jBAVR7Q.png</span></p><p>

(Furusawa and Findlay had Awful chemistry)</p><p> </p><p>

SUKI managed to get an 88 against Greg Gauge without any chemistry in the second picture, but I can't quite figure out if it's just that they were placed perfectly on the show or some sort of weird luck. And I've never managed a main event with that kind of grade.</p><p> </p><p>

The 'Spectacle' and 'Epic' aims just tank the rating even more.</p>

Looks like you're burning out the crowd in the later screens. Make sure your popular guys are going on last. A lot of people in that crowd came to see SUKI and Gakusha, and they had to endure 5 matches in between seeing them. Don't be afraid to throw guys in multiman tags to coalesce your card.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poputt" data-cite="Poputt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can you post some of your full card results? It would be easier for me to help you that way.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I've never had any success with those two aims.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wow that's crazy because this is all I use every time I run a big event?</p>

<p>The first card definitely is affected by perfect show theory. Your booking it more like a boxing card which would have the crowd burnt out at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

Not sure how it works without angles but your second big match of the night shouldn't be before your main event (unless you have angles to cool it down)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wow that's crazy because this is all I use every time I run a big event?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I must admit when I use those epic, steal the show etc I get anmuch more random rating which is generally was than what a normal match would be</p>

<p>Yeah, the main events need to be at least 16 minutes long and have a storyline attached to them if your product requires them. Also, as was pointed out, you don't want to run 2 matches that get the same grade (within a few points) because that burns the crowd out. With the changes to the show grade, your semi-main event doesn't have to be good anymore (it's top 2 matches instead of the semi and main events that are responsible for 90% of the match rating) so a light tank there will help. I say light tank because you don't want to kill the crowd just cool them off if they need it.</p><p> </p><p>

And K-Nection, you must be a wizard because I couldn't even get peak Ric Flair to use the Epic or Spectacle note so I don't even bother using it ever. My main events are just slow build and call in the ring with a distraction or interference for storyline reasons.</p>

<p>This is what I usually do for Main Events. </p><p> </p><p>

Spectacle if= Good worker with great or excellent, great worker with great worker</p><p> </p><p>

Epic: Only Excellent worker vs Excellent Worker</p><p> </p><p>

I always get A* ratings and have gotten 7 100 rated matches with this in one save</p><p> </p><p>

My formula for this is to cool the crowd then lift it up from the cooking making it hot for the main event but not at an emotional high.</p><p> </p><p>

Always Works for me.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jose13" data-cite="Jose13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> Epic: Only Excellent worker vs Excellent Worker</p><p> </p><p> I always get A* ratings and have gotten 7 100 rated matches with this in one save</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think you'll get A* regardless if both workers are excellent. I too have never had success with epic and spectacle apart from a random good event (that would've been good with 'normal' anyway. I'm clueless as to how to use them.</p><p> </p><p> And I agree on the booking. As opposed to WMMA, it's not a "co-main"-event, it should be a breather.</p>

This is what I usually do for Main Events.

Spectacle if= Good worker with great or excellent, great worker with great worker

Epic: Only Excellent worker vs Excellent Worker

I always get A* ratings and have gotten 7 100 rated matches with this in one save

My formula for this is to cool the crowd then lift it up from the cooking making it hot for the main event but not at an emotional high.

Always Works for me.

This right here you just have to have the crowd in the palm of your hand and you will get the best mileage out of those aims.

What I do is I use the cool the crowd aim and lift the crowd up with 2 fantastic angles (but not very long about 6 minutes max between the two) and then I hit them with Spectacle or Epic in the main. It really just depends on who I have wrestling. If I'm running TV and I know the match will not be 16 minutes I just shoot to steal the Show and I will get similar outcomes. I am mostly running performance based products but Great angles really help in lifting the crowd before big matches.

Yeah, the main events need to be at least 16 minutes long and have a storyline attached to them if your product requires them. Also, as was pointed out, you don't want to run 2 matches that get the same grade (within a few points) because that burns the crowd out.

A couple issues here, first, the match doesn't need to be 16 minutes. Running 20-30 minutes or more with high psychology workers will bump up that rating because they're getting more time to work their tricks into the match. That said, running only 10 minutes will be just fine if you have a couple workers who are just really over and maybe don't have the best psych (or maybe they're good spot monkeys like Jeff Hardy or Kenny Omega). Second, running back to back good matches won't necessarily tank the rating, it can even bump the main's rating up because that last match saved a cold crowd and got them interested. It's the amount of good segments that can burn them out, so two hot matches and a hot angle before the main will probably make the main event shit the bed, but a couple of middling matches followed by a hot segment (match or angle) and the main match will do just fine. A stinker before the last match can actually kill its rating if the crowd wasn't hot for any part of the rest of the show.

I didn't notice the first time I read but call in the ring might also be causing some problems. I would see if you get better ratings with scripted matches. I've seen that call in the ring seems to get dinged a lot more than in previous games so even with psych in the 80's, they can struggle to put on epic matches.

I think you'll get A* regardless if both workers are excellent. I too have never had success with epic and spectacle apart from a random good event (that would've been good with 'normal' anyway. I'm clueless as to how to use them.

And I agree on the booking. As opposed to WMMA, it's not a "co-main"-event, it should be a breather.

By always I meant that also Great and Good workers with spectacle got it. If you're clueless on how to use them I could explain you as I have nearly perfected a tactic to use it. Also not always Excellent and Excellent means A* it would've been good with normal but when using Slow Build and Call in ring I get significantly less 100 matches.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poputt" data-cite="Poputt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>A couple issues here, first, the match doesn't need to be 16 minutes. Running 20-30 minutes or more with high psychology workers will bump up that rating because they're getting more time to work their tricks into the match. That said, running only 10 minutes will be just fine if you have a couple workers who are just really over and maybe don't have the best psych (or maybe they're good spot monkeys like Jeff Hardy or Kenny Omega). Second, running back to back good matches won't necessarily tank the rating, it can even bump the main's rating up because that last match saved a cold crowd and got them interested. It's the amount of good segments that can burn them out, so two hot matches and a hot angle before the main will probably make the main event shit the bed, but a couple of middling matches followed by a hot segment (match or angle) and the main match will do just fine. A stinker before the last match can actually kill its rating if the crowd wasn't hot for any part of the rest of the show.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> There's a match length rating cap which is what the 16 minutes is for. And it is 3 major segments (minor angles don't do anything) of the similar ratings that tanks that 3rd match as the OP showed in his card which is why I mentioned that and said specifically that the spot before the main event couldn't be awful, just mediocre.</p><p> </p><p> As for the Epic and Spectacle note, if I can't successfully run a Magnum TA vs Ric Flair with the Superfly Effect alt-1987 mod on a PPV when they're the equivalent to Austin vs Rock circa 99-00 as they're 2 of the 3 most over people on the planet with Flair having 100 psych 20 times (with auto-save turned off of course), then I don't see the point of those 2 notes. Consistently had it wreck the grade down to low-80's when running it just normal match had it score 100. I'm glad others are using it successfully, but I've found that I don't need it so it is just more trouble than it is worth imho.</p>

There's a match length rating cap which is what the 16 minutes is for. And it is 3 major segments (minor angles don't do anything) of the similar ratings that tanks that 3rd match as the OP showed in his card which is why I mentioned that and said specifically that the spot before the main event couldn't be awful, just mediocre.

As for the Epic and Spectacle note, if I can't successfully run a Magnum TA vs Ric Flair with the Superfly Effect alt-1987 mod on a PPV when they're the equivalent to Austin vs Rock circa 99-00 as they're 2 of the 3 most over people on the planet with Flair having 100 psych 20 times (with auto-save turned off of course), then I don't see the point of those 2 notes. Consistently had it wreck the grade down to low-80's when running it just normal match had it score 100. I'm glad others are using it successfully, but I've found that I don't need it so it is just more trouble than it is worth imho.

I'm still shocked that it hasn't botched for me yet hearing your guy's stories???? One thing is I've yet to run a company above cult in TEW 2016 and I'm not dealing with high 90s grades yet.

<p>Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll take it all in. I think maybe my reliance on singles matches at PPVs between tons of skilled workers was burning the crowd out, so I'm gonna start experimenting with my cards more.</p><p> </p><p>

I did manage to book SUKI vs. Gakusha for my main event and score an 86, so things are definitely looking up.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smartman" data-cite="smartman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There's a match length rating cap which is what the 16 minutes is for.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That doesn't apply to every circumstance. An all out match, stat-based match, spot based match etc. will negate whatever minor penalty you get for a short main event. Not every match needs to be a slow build to get a great rating, and that includes mains.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm still shocked that it hasn't botched for me yet hearing your guy's stories???? One thing is I've yet to run a company above cult in TEW 2016 and I'm not dealing with high 90s grades yet.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That might explain it. The bigger your company is the higher psych rating you need to not get penalized for a normal match, let alone epic or spectacle (although this effect was nerfed a couple updates ago).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poputt" data-cite="Poputt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43580" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> That might explain it. The bigger your company is the higher psych rating you need to not get penalized for a normal match, let alone epic or spectacle (<strong>although this effect was nerfed a couple updates ago</strong>).</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Don't even get me started on that particular nerf. It makes absolutely no sense from a simulation standpoint and seemed to be only created for the sole purpose of artificial difficulty.</p>

I really don't bother with types of matches, other than a wild brawl, steal the show, or storytelling.

I'm playing with TCW, and finally got my first 100 main event with KC Glenn and Rocky Golden. For a storyline company, I'd keep an eye on which feud is hottest, and keep it there with a promo right before the match, to get the crowd going. I usually drop in a twenty minute match just before that promo with some lower level main eventers, and the cool down just before that.

The best way, I've found, is to focus on momentum, gimmick, star power, popularity, psychology and selling while needing a strong storyline grade.

Still, it bothers me when it takes me months and years of preparation to get Rocky his first iconic match while the match of the year is a DQ TV finish between Stone and DeColt. Whatever, I'll buy NOTBPW soon...