Popularity Over Performance.

So. I've been playing this game for a few weeks almost a month now and I always struggle when using massive companies (21CW, USPW, SWF Etc.) Where I think I make good booking choices the picking the workers for storylines, and making a few story lines but the best I can ever get out of a TV Show is a 60-66 Rating show.

And I try to book feuds that aren't main event ones but they always suck for heat so it brings down everything they do in the storyline and I can't figure out what to do to make all my shows better overall. Could I get some advice for running a Pop Over Perf company?

<p>Just make sure your main event segments and matches outweigh your undercard. </p><p> </p><p>

John Cena feud with CM Punk should have much better ratings than say Zack Ryder and a Dolph Ziggler feud. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

While yes, Ryder and Dolph will not get the same ratings as Cena/Punk, using them on TV and having decent promos will eventually build these guys up.</p>

<p>Once you get the hang of it, Sports Entertainment type promotions with popularity over performance are a relative "easy mode" in TEW, presuming the company has adequate talent and popular workers. </p><p> </p><p>

Look at how the WWE traditionally structured Raw and SmackDown. Not much nowadays, as they can do some wonky stuff. But generally - Attitude Era Raw's were built around the most popular talent. You had Austin or the Rock coming out at the end of each show. They were built around the hot storylines. You need to do that. </p><p> </p><p>

Your top talent should be on every show. Every main eventer. They don't have to be in the ring or even in storylines, but feature them somehow. They can be in throwaway vignettes, talking about nothing. Unless they are an "attraction" type like Lesnar or later Undertaker, they should feature every week. They are the workers who are going to pull your strongest grades, because, quite simply, they are the talent that the fans want to see. It also helps to find ways to use their strengths. </p><p> </p><p>

In SE promotions, strong angles can carry a show. This is where having good storylines can make a difference. it really varies, dependent on the composition of your roster - some companies will have multiple top talent who can carry things, other companies will only have one or two. You certainly don't have to limit your storyline to those between your top top workers.... but having too many ME vs midcard storylines can hurt. </p><p> </p><p>

When booking SE TV, I ensure there is a good main event, decent semi main and opener, and two or three strong angles. The rest doesn't matter. And a good main event doesn't have to be ME v ME. It could be an ME vs an upper mid, or my go to is a tag with a couple of MEs against a couple of MEs, typically with a non-finish. Add in a brawl angle afterward and its easy money.</p>

<p>1) Your overall score is weighted heavily toward your main event match, so make sure your best match goes on last. Experiment with different combinations and see what works. My experience is that pairing the highest pop worker with a midcarder gives better ratings than pairing two upper midcarders</p><p> </p><p>

2) The majority of the score is based on your two best matches and your two or three best angles. You only really need a few good angles to get high ratings on your show. The 4th and below best angles are good for building individual worker popularity, but doesn't really contribute towards the overall scoring of the show</p>

Focus your storyline/booking efforts on your main eventers/upper midcarders. Only time you should use workers with pushes below that in angles is if their entertainment skills are great (Jimmy Hernandez in SWF), even then, I don't stick these guys in official storylines. Of course, you can put the Ms/LMs in your opening matches as well.

A few more things- you're first 6 months or so are always going to be a little shaky. Stick with it. If you want to get guys over, say a hot prospect who debuts as an opener, but him with a Main Eventer who has an insane amount of momentum in a tag match with a pair of midcarders. The main event guy will get the win, the opener will get a rub.

Archived