1986 - Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair?

1986 - Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. 1986 - Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair?

• Hulk Hogan
    • Ric Flair

<p>I went for Hogan as the figurehead mainly because he seems the most natural face and if you go with Flair that rather curtails the Four Horsemen.</p><p> </p><p>

That said, could make a really interesting game if you switch the roles. Would definitely be different.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Tomato Can" data-cite="Tomato Can" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There is an add Poll button if you scroll down when writing a new topic. Click it after you write your post and it will give you a chance to add the Poll.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks!</p>

<p>A heel Hogan running the Horsemen would be interesting. Thinking Hogan as the leader, Ted DiBiase should slot nicely in the Arn Anderson enforcer role, and a young Rick Rude and Lex Luger as the Tag Team, and Jesse Ventura if you can get him (possibly Billy Graham would work for this as well), in the JJ Dillion role. You would have a group the represents a lot of what the Horsemen did in the cocky brash attitudes, but in a wholly Hogan type way.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm picturing the group built on Hogan in an 80's take on the Hollywood gimmick he used in the nWo. DiBiase, in the enforcer role can mix in a bit of the Million Dollar Man with a spice of Hollywood life instead of just stuck up rich guy.(Thinking stereotypical 1980s rich Hollywood guy) Rude and Luger can work their current gimmicks of pretty boys all the girls love and all the men want to be. With Ventura backing the group (mainly to help Luger and Rude develop). They can be a great foil in the south against The Heart and Soul of the NWA Ric Flair.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="franticloser" data-cite="franticloser" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>A heel Hogan running the Horsemen would be interesting. Thinking Hogan as the leader, Ted DiBiase should slot nicely in the Arn Anderson enforcer role, and a young Rick Rude and Lex Luger as the Tag Team, and Jesse Ventura if you can get him (possibly Billy Graham would work for this as well), in the JJ Dillion role. You would have a group the represents a lot of what the Horsemen did in the cocky brash attitudes, but in a wholly Hogan type way.<p> </p><p> I'm picturing the group built on Hogan in an 80's take on the Hollywood gimmick he used in the nWo. DiBiase, in the enforcer role can mix in a bit of the Million Dollar Man with a spice of Hollywood life instead of just stuck up rich guy.(Thinking stereotypical 1980s rich Hollywood guy) Rude and Luger can work their current gimmicks of pretty boys all the girls love and all the men want to be. With Ventura backing the group (mainly to help Luger and Rude develop). They can be a great foil in the south against The Heart and Soul of the NWA Ric Flair.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> YES. Consider my vote changed.</p>

Hogan never, ever, ever worked in the South. That's why he ended up as the 3rd NWO member. Now, if they would have let him work like he did in Japan, he would have been mediocre there. Turning him heel is the only option really, which he would never have agreed to do btw. WWF would be a blast to play now though. The Superfly Effect, where Hogan is hurt for 6 months in 1987 is so much fun because you can turn it into a work-rate fed with Steamboat and Savage running things even though WWF was absolutely never a work-rate fed.

So, it would have to be Flair as the figurehead as a face. Probably screws Magnum TA over completely as he'd be the 3rd ranked face, well 4th if Arn is face too.

<p>I don't think that Hogan was the type of worker who could have had nearly the same level of success outside of the WWF in 1986.</p><p> </p><p>

My fed of choice was WCCW. I know they broke away from the NWA in '86 but they mirrored most of the southern territories in that they were heavy on performance. Von Erich matches in particular were fast paced, athletic, and stiff and that's what the fans wanted. If Hogan ever had a match like that, I never saw it. Great promos, but nowhere near the in-ring skills IMHO.</p><p> </p><p>

I think if he'd come over, he would have been best used in a role like Micheal Hayes with the Freebirds, doing promos and working the crowd with support from other workers who were great in-ring. I just can't see him as even as a top singles guy in the NWA, let alone the figurehead.</p>

<p>Just a point here, Hogan's performance skills were top-notch; he was consistency, incredible selling & unparalleled psychology and he rarely botched.</p><p> </p><p>

Yes he may have put on a Flair-type technical masterclass but his Japan stuff showed that he was more than the 80's-90's three moves of doom/comeback type stuff that he is more known for.</p><p> </p><p>

That was just something i wanted to get out there. Hogan could have succeeded anywhere.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smartman" data-cite="smartman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hogan never, ever, ever worked in the South. That's why he ended up as the 3rd NWO member. Now, if they would have let him work like he did in Japan, he would have been mediocre there. Turning him heel is the only option really, which he would never have agreed to do btw. WWF would be a blast to play now though. The Superfly Effect, where Hogan is hurt for 6 months in 1987 is so much fun because you can turn it into a work-rate fed with Steamboat and Savage running things even though WWF was absolutely never a work-rate fed. <p> </p><p> So, it would have to be Flair as the figurehead as a face. Probably screws Magnum TA over completely as he'd be the 3rd ranked face, well 4th if Arn is face too.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hogan worked in the south? He worked for Memphis. He worked in Alabama. He worked in Florida, he wrestled in Georgia. Before he ever got to the WWF the first time as a heel, and before the AWA, he worked in the South pretty extensively. </p><p> </p><p> I also don't think Hogan would have struggled in Crockett - they would have just had to book him similar to the Road Warriors -- who didn't really struggle until the end when they had never jobbed for anyone and fan's couldn't buy into them.</p><p> </p><p> But a Flair as the face figure-head, Hogan as the top heel with his horsemen? That would have been a money feud in the 80s.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Paul_G" data-cite="Paul_G" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't think that Hogan was the type of worker who could have had nearly the same level of success outside of the WWF in 1986.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hogan had immense success in NJPW pre his WWF run as well as AWA before his WWF run. He was also turning in to a fairly popularity territories worker before he went to the AWA, so I think he would have had a lot of success outside of the WWF.</p><p> </p><p> I'm not a Hogan fan -- but he had charisma, he could sell, he could connect to audiences.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hogan worked in the south? He worked for Memphis. He worked in Alabama. He worked in Florida, he wrestled in Georgia. Before he ever got to the WWF the first time as a heel, and before the AWA, he worked in the South pretty extensively. <p> </p><p> I also don't think Hogan would have struggled in Crockett - they would have just had to book him similar to the Road Warriors -- who didn't really struggle until the end when they had never jobbed for anyone and fan's couldn't buy into them.</p><p> </p><p> But a Flair as the face figure-head, Hogan as the top heel with his horsemen? That would have been a money feud in the 80s.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> He worked there and never really did anything. Lawler carried his feud in Memphis (granted Hulk was young). He broke out because of his acting in Rocky, never because he was particularly good in the ring. If he'd been a good worker, Verne never would have botched things so badly because he loved good workers even if they never moved the needle.</p><p> </p><p> And by worked in the South, I obviously meant he was never that over in the South. He was getting booed in WCW. Let me repeat that. The biggest face in professional wrestling was getting booed in the only other National fed outside the WWF that America has ever had. He had to turn heel because of it.</p><p> </p><p> But maybe 1986 Hogan could have been different and turned it on to the NJPW level he showed several years earlier. I doubt it. He'd been coddled by Vince for 3 years and was already developing into a locker room politician. Would he have been thrilled with Dusty's booking?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smartman" data-cite="smartman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45729" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>He worked there and never really did anything. Lawler carried his feud in Memphis (granted Hulk was young). He broke out because of his acting in Rocky, never because he was particularly good in the ring. If he'd been a good worker, Verne never would have botched things so badly because he loved good workers even if they never moved the needle.<p> </p><p> And by worked in the South, I obviously meant he was never that over in the South. He was getting booed in WCW. Let me repeat that. The biggest face in professional wrestling was getting booed in the only other National fed outside the WWF that America has ever had. He had to turn heel because of it.</p><p> </p><p> But maybe 1986 Hogan could have been different and turned it on to the NJPW level he showed several years earlier. I doubt it. He'd been coddled by Vince for 3 years and was already developing into a locker room politician. Would he have been thrilled with Dusty's booking?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think he was getting over in the South before he went to Verne. He held the NWA South-Eastern Championship like, three or four times.</p><p> </p><p> But in regards to getting booed in WCW -- this was also coming after a decade run as the top babyface in the world without ever really changing his character -- and a decade run as the top babyface for the 'other guys' and then coming to WCW.</p><p> </p><p> I think Hogan and Dusty would have gotten along well -- but I definitely think Dusty would have started him off as a heel.</p>

Archived