The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

Jericho calling Adam Cole out for ripping him off with the "baybay" stuff was the highlight of Rampage for me.

Good show though with three good matches.

Garcia is so friggin good and being teamed up with the great talkers 2point0 is doing wonders for him.

Also, Eddie is great as usual.

That's what most 43-year-old men with an active lifestyle look like when they don't live at the gym, pounding dozens of unregulated supplements or speedballing testosterone and HGH.

Punk looked like that when he was doing all those things. He's going for Nick Bockwinkel in AWA, he's not trying to catch Teddy Hart anymore. And when he turns heel he's going to be the biggest star in the business. And if you don't see it, don't know what to tell you. He's gone out of his way to flash how good he still is as a heel in brief moments so far. It's a slow burn. Let it happen.

You want to say the booking has been too generic, or the one-and-done matches have not had the effect they should have, I'll listen. But Punk is still 95% what he was, he just can't live up to the nostalgia, he's just an unathletic white guy at the end of the day. It's why his UFC run was always doomed.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46243" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Punk looked like that when he was doing all those things. He's going for Nick Bockwinkel in AWA, he's not trying to catch Teddy Hart anymore. And when he turns heel he's going to be the biggest star in the business. And if you don't see it, don't know what to tell you. He's gone out of his way to flash how good he still is as a heel in brief moments so far. It's a slow burn. Let it happen.<p> </p><p> You want to say the booking has been too generic, or the one-and-done matches have not had the effect they should have, I'll listen. But Punk is still 95% what he was, he just can't live up to the nostalgia, he's just an unathletic white guy at the end of the day. It's why his UFC run was always doomed.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Did you mean to quote the other guy? Because I never said anything about the booking. Though if how he looked in UFC was really him at peak performance and not just retirement making him extremely lazy, then he's got genetics working against him worse than Chris Hero.</p>

Did you mean to quote the other guy? Because I never said anything about the booking. Though if how he looked in UFC was really him at peak performance and not just retirement making him extremely lazy, then he's got genetics working against him worse than Chris Hero.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F60f84f10c0f0154df812e239%2FCM-Punk-is-reportedly-training-for-an-in-ring-return-%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Punk Then.

AEWCMPunk.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1

Punk Now.

He's in better shape now than he was then. It's just the grey hair.

Why does it feel like we're having two different conversations? I was making a joke that he was in terrible shape by UFC standards and there was no way he was living at the gym and doping like crazy. Do you even realize that my initial post was actually defending Punk's physique in AEW? Because the only way your responses make sense is if you think I'm dunking on anything about Punk besides his UFC "career".

Overall, I think it was a really good show. The only real clunker was the Gunn Club match, and that's just because at this stage in his career, Billy is not even remotely credible as a threat. Even then, it was a fun little match, and Sting got to have a pop in the old backyard of WCW, so it's a wash.

Even Gunn Club/Sting&Darby had some entertaining moments.

Not saying it didn't, it just didn't really stand out. I think the thing that gives it a down from me is Colten eating the pin. They make a big deal about him being undefeated, to just job out midway through the show, not even the opener or main event? Does protecting Billy mean THAT much?

Not saying it didn't, it just didn't really stand out. I think the thing that gives it a down from me is Colten eating the pin. They make a big deal about him being undefeated, to just job out midway through the show, not even the opener or main event? Does protecting Billy mean THAT much?

Yeah I thought that was lame. I'm wondering if Gunn is just politicking or if this is leading somewhere.

- Danielson vs Angels was short but good. I love how smug Danielson looks. Miro reborn.

- Moriarty vs Punk was great. MizJF trying to outdo the Bucks with his outfit lol. Cooking Meth Punk :o With all this talk of Punk's stamina I'm expecting an Iron Man or Last Man Standing match.

- Nice to see Hayter & Rosa getting screentime. Cassidy destroyed.

- Wardlow TV matches are rare.

- Gunn Club vs Sting & Darby was good. Matching facepaint! Didn't expect Sting to break the streak. Hook's Chips are All Elite.

- I'm glad Lio is a babyface for now.

- Statlander vs Ruby was great. I would have preferred Statlander win but I'm OK with Ruby winning the tournament.

- Andrade vs Cody was my MOTN. I popped for the sledgehammer and shovel. Brandi bringing the fire! Arn's fall scared me.

Not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed after Danhusen's Video in the morning we didn't have a very nice, very evil debut

He did say "see you soon!" so maybe they just wanted to tease it, but when he mentioned the "ass men" by name, and sting and darby I thought we might have a britt baker situation where he would show up and just talk while the leg healed

I know it wasn't going to happen, but I was still kinda like "awww" when that match ended without him showing up ha

Yeah I thought that was lame. I'm wondering if Gunn is just politicking or if this is leading somewhere.

Could be a case that they never really took the streak too seriously in the first place. Was built up facing tomato cans really, wasn't it?

Not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed after Danhusen's Video in the morning we didn't have a very nice, very evil debut

He did say "see you soon!" so maybe they just wanted to tease it, but when he mentioned the "ass men" by name, and sting and darby I thought we might have a britt baker situation where he would show up and just talk while the leg healed

I know it wasn't going to happen, but I was still kinda like "awww" when that match ended without him showing up ha

Now I picture Danhausen as the funny man and Sting and Darby as the straight men. What a trio that would be

Could be a case that they never really took the streak too seriously in the first place. Was built up facing tomato cans really, wasn't it?

Right, but it's odd that Billy has kicked out of the Coffin Drop at 1 and didn't take a fall. You'd think they'd be more inclined to protect his sons since they potentially have a future. I just don't see the point in trying to protect Billy. It's not like he's on par star level wise with Sting, Bryan, Punk, and other big names. I'm a Billy fan, but it just seems like he's being protected unnecessarily.

Last I heard, he trashed his leg a few weeks back at an indy date. It's pretty clear the boys are stumping, but I'd rather he go to IMPACT, AEW doesn't need more eyerolling comedy guys when he recovers.

Right, but it's odd that Billy has kicked out of the Coffin Drop at 1 and didn't take a fall. You'd think they'd be more inclined to protect his sons since they potentially have a future. I just don't see the point in trying to protect Billy. It's not like he's on par star level wise with Sting, Bryan, Punk, and other big names. I'm a Billy fan, but it just seems like he's being protected unnecessarily.

I think if I was in Colten's position, I would insist on taking the fall.

My team is losing? We're in Atlanta? Sting is getting the pin? Please hit me with the Scorpion Death Drop and pin me so I can privately mark the F out, lol.

too many people care way too much about the shape of wrestler's bodies

He's still putting on good performances so who cares?

That's what most 43-year-old men with an active lifestyle look like when they don't live at the gym, pounding dozens of unregulated supplements or speedballing testosterone and HGH.

I'm very late to respond, but I meant his in-ring shape. He's still a fantastic performer, and you have to consider that he aged and had beatings in UFC, but man, he's just not on the same level as his opponents physically, and nobody will tell him that not to hurt his ego.

I watched his match with Moriarty, who I am curious about. Pretty good stuff, but I expected more - exactly how I would describe his run so far.

I'm very late to respond, but I meant his in-ring shape. He's still a fantastic performer, and you have to consider that he aged and had beatings in UFC, but man, he's just not on the same level as his opponents physically, and nobody will tell him that not to hurt his ego.

I watched his match with Moriarty, who I am curious about. Pretty good stuff, but I expected more - exactly how I would describe his run so far.

I could be wrong but I feel like Punk intentionally held back against QT & Moriarty for the storyline. MJF is using it to take shots at Punk's stamina. I think we will get Punk vs Wardlow soon (would explain the TV squash for Wardlow) and eventually MJF vs Punk where we will see exactly what Punk has left in tank.

I could be wrong but I feel like Punk intentionally held back against QT & Moriarty for the storyline. MJF is using it to take shots at Punk's stamina. I think we will get Punk vs Wardlow soon (would explain the TV squash for Wardlow) and eventually MJF vs Punk where we will see exactly what Punk has left in tank.

Will we though? MJF isn't a workrate guy. It'll be a decent match, with a great build and a good storyline. Because MJF isn't, and probably never will be that guy, nor should he try to be honestly. Much rather he becomes that Cena we saw at ECW One Night Stand 2006 long-term. The antithesis of what guys like Darby and Jungle Boy will be if and when they get there.

The moment will come when he gets in the ring with Omega, or Danielson. But again. He had match of the night at the last PPV. It's the nothing programs that are my issue so far. Not his workrate.

Everything I have seen of this flaming table spot has Cody taking the brunt if it. Seems the table was too close to the corner. Seems like an unnecessary risk.

I assumed they did it that way so Andrade didn't burn his head. Cody was the one with fire retardent on his back. Sure it looked off but at least it was safer that way.

I don't believe he intentionally holds back, to me that sounds like a lame attempt to dress the situation up. Just looking at how he takes armdrags in the middle of the match shows that he's lacking energy. Especially when compared to other guys on the roster.

And even if it is so... how does this match help Moriarty (apart from spotlight) look good? He's losing to a guy who's not there physically in a match that is shorter than Punk had with Eddie Kingston.

If it was down to me, I would 100% give the first win to MJF, and make Punk actually go through the 'do I still have what it takes?' story, instead of padding stats and doing paid cardio against lowcarders. Let it be a dirty finish, but MJF can't lose to Punk, for CM to move on to some other fresh blood.

Just comparing their respective matches with Darby... night and day. I'm nitpicking, but hey, the guy's 'Best In The World' and has to be held to the highest standard. Maybe this will be brought up when Punk eventually fight Bryan :D