The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

16 minutes ago, Kamchatka said:

yeah like i was thinking just the rare moments that they need someone to do serious talk to the camera time like TK did at the top. But totally agree, wouldnt want to overload him.

Honestly, Tony called Taz "Excalibur" like 14 times on the PPV. Taz had to call him out on it to get it to stop. I like Tony, he's a good guy, I think both he and JR have had their runs in front of the camera. Time for sharper minds to take the pipes. 

I just wish it was Mauro and not Excalibur. 

Not crazy about the finishes for the Trios match (seriously, are they EVER going to lest Orange or the Best Friends win a title?) or the tournament, though I can rationalize the latter.

Ideally, I want to see the finals as Bryan Danielson versus Darby Allin. We've seen Jericho/ Mox and Mox/ Danielson, Darby would be something new. ANYONE but Sammy.

1 minute ago, Matt_Black said:

Not crazy about the finishes for the Trios match (seriously, are they EVER going to lest Orange or the Best Friends win a title?) or the tournament, though I can rationalize the latter.

Ideally, I want to see the finals as Bryan Danielson versus Darby Allin. We've seen Jericho/ Mox and Mox/ Danielson, Darby would be something new. ANYONE but Sammy.

1) Comedy stays in the midcard. You don't put belts you take seriously on it. 

2) Darby doesn't have a good enough record. It's Moxley Jericho. There is absolutely no point to these brackets at all. No Rush, No Joe, No Claudio. 

Weird episode. Feels like the guy who took the most damage from all of this was poor MJF. Dude basically flushed 3mos of his life down the toilet, and got discarded in the time the audience wanted to embrace him. 

Edited by Makhai

8 hours ago, Makhai said:

Because that house was built on babyface Punk winning the title. We were still in his return nostalgia milk mode. He was still moving the needle in a very big way. Hangman wasn't trying to "add intrigue" stop with that. He was a man baby, who didn't like a guy, and tried to damage him. That's again, the second he goes back through the curtain in Jerry Jarrett or Bill Watts land, he is beaten half to death and shipped in a box to Mexico for pig-feed.

You cannot tolerate that. 

The bedrock of the buisness is implied cooperation. Trust in the person across from you. If I was a performer in that company I would tell TK I am never working with Hangman Page and probably The Elite either, if they sent him out with that idea in his head. A lot people are being very critical of the fallout, and I get that. Punk took it too far. But that should have been expected. 

Better leadership cuts out the cancer before it spreads throughout your lockerroom and how clueless and stupid TK looked in his last 20 mins while one of his EVPs is trying to figure out if a road agent bit his face off is probably the most important of what happened. He goes from being Punk's sycophant, feeding him cupcakes and meming facials, to trying to bury the WWE for running a developmental show on on-demand streaming was laughable and it exposed him. 

AEW do not have a Punk problem. They have a Tony Khan problem. 

That doesn't answer the question. How did it jeopardize the gate or buys? 

It's an incredibly flawed argument that falls apart at the seams with any critical thinking. 

For one, almost no one except Punk even noticed the line or thought it was about Cabana. Even the drone, vehemently anti-AEW sites didn't make mention of it. Punk didn't respond til after the PPV. So did it actually jeopardize anything?

Did it jeopardize any Dynamite viewers when MJF made way more heavy handed references to Cabana to Punk? Did it jeopardize any buys when MJF and Punk had a rematch at Revolution? Did it jeopardize any buys when Kingston told Punk he's fake and no one wants him here? 

How did an ambiguous workers rights reference jeopardize anything except Punk's fragile ego? 

The answer is it didn't, and people are getting mad in hindsight, because no one talked about it til Punk Streisand Effected himself into oblivion like a goof.

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Dalton said:

It's an incredibly flawed argument that falls apart at the seams with any critical thinking. 

For one, almost no one except Punk even noticed the line or thought it was about Cabana. Even the drone, vehemently anti-AEW sites didn't make mention of it. Punk didn't respond til after the PPV. So did it actually jeopardize anything?

Being terrible at cutting promos, is not an excuse for obvious malice. And I don't understand what the rest of your argument even is, because everything begins here. 

It literally causes all of this. 

Edited by Makhai

yeah i seem to remember Alvarez commenting back when Punk gave the receipt that he'd had to actually ask Punk what moment he was talking about because he hadnt noticed it and was like "that?!?"

it is certainly intriguing as to why Hangman set off Punk so much when Kingston and MJF didnt when all three feuds had them saying the same thing.

Big detail that came up today in the SRS stream was that most of the heat on him was coming from Punk saying "i'm trying to run a flipping business here". Which i was kind of waiting for anyone to mention that part.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Makhai said:

Being terrible at cutting promos, is not an excuse for obvious malice. And I don't understand what the rest of your argument even is, because everything begins here. 

It literally causes all of this. 

i mean no, you could say Punk and Colt falling out caused all of this, but if you want to go far back enough you could also say actually I caused all of this.

I reached out to Colt Cabana in 2011 offering to make him a t-shirt, Punk wore it at the wrestlemania pre event, it ended up selling so well that the tshirt company did billboards with Colt wearing it, which lead to the company pivoting to being pro wrestling tees dot com which became a big financial backbone for indy wrestlers and money for The Elite people, which lead to All In, which lead to AEW and the tshirt company setting up shop together, which lead to Colt and Punk being in the same company together etc etc

But i only reached out to Colt because i really liked Chikara

So really its Fire Ants fault.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kamchatka said:

i mean no, you could say Punk and Colt falling out caused all of this, but if you want to go far back enough you could also say actually I caused all of this.

I reached out to Colt Cabana in 2011 offering to make him a t-shirt, Punk wore it at the wrestlemania pre event, it ended up selling so well that the tshirt company did billboards with Colt wearing it, which lead to the company pivoting to being pro wrestling tees dot com which became a big financial backbone for indy wrestlers and money for The Elite people, which lead to All In, which lead to AEW and the tshirt company setting up shop together, which lead to Colt and Punk being in the same company together etc etc

Isn't it always Fire Ant's fault, though?

St.T

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamchatka said:

I mean, when you put it that way... it's so clear. 

8 hours ago, Dalton said:

Did it jeopardize any Dynamite viewers when MJF made way more heavy handed references to Cabana to Punk? Did it jeopardize any buys when MJF and Punk had a rematch at Revolution? Did it jeopardize any buys when Kingston told Punk he's fake and no one wants him here? 

How did an ambiguous workers rights reference jeopardize anything except Punk's fragile ego? 

The answer is it didn't, and people are getting mad in hindsight, because no one talked about it til Punk Streisand Effected himself into oblivion like a goof.

I think it’s about the substance of the promo. It was supposed to come off like Punks this heel trying to ruin the promotion. He was supposed to be the top baby face and Page was supposed to come off as more of the heel. Since he did that he was trying to make Punk look bad like a heel which was the opposite of what was planned. This is my gist of it.

- TK doing his best scramble booking. Predictions: Danielson (beating Mox in the Final) & Death Triangle as Champions.
- Babyface MJF would be fun but he's too good as a heel. Passionate Mox.
- Death Triangle vs Best Friends was great. Vance turning soon? La Faccion need a 3rd member.
- Ford vs Storm was solid. Deeb would be a strong 1st challenger.
- Action Bronson wants a taste. Swerve interrupting The Acclaimed lol. Entertaining Jericho promo.
- Standard Wardlow squash. He went hard on the mic. Darby expecting too much from Sammy.
- Danielson vs Hangman was my MOTN. Predictions on track.
- Jungle Boy keeps improving on the mic. Big Stoke! Claudio/Dax hype!
- Garcia vs YUTA (c) was great. Double turn tease? Perfect ending to one of the best Dynamites of the year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So Punk is out for 8 months and suspended. At the end of the day this was one of the most interesting eye grabbing things to happen in AEW in a long time even more so than the MJF situation. Punks presser was fire. Even if it was genuine it was eye grabbing. I watched the whole thing and it flew by. I wanted more by the end. If wrestling was more like that it’d be getting the viewers it used to get.

16 hours ago, Makhai said:

I hope that's not actually going to be the main event. Because nothing says ratings draw like a mid-card ROH title match. Also what is an Interim Eliminator match?

Who cares what it means...We get to see Toni!!!!!
Also some shots of Penelope that left little to the imagination!

spacer.png

Of all the varying accounts of the... "incident" from this weekend, the one I hope is true that allegedly, when the fight broke out, the first thing Kenny Omega did was try to cover CM Punk's dog Larry and get him out of harm's way.

And in regards to the "Eliminator" match, it's a simple concept that AEW and WWE has used multiple times (though I don't believe the latter uses the word "Eliminator", instead usually opting for something like "Contender's Match").

Edited by Matt_Black
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

Of all the varying accounts of the... "incident" from this weekend, the one I hope is true that allegedly, when the fight broke out, the first thing Kenny Omega did was try to cover CM Punk's dog Larry and get him out of harm's way.

Out of everything from that, Kenny Omega trying to save the dog while his friends get pummeled is one thing I feel we can all agree is totally in character for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Out of everything from that, Kenny Omega trying to save the dog while his friends get pummeled is one thing I feel we can all agree is totally in character for him.

And then he gets bit by Ace for the trouble of leaving his friends for dead. Their account sounds like a skit from BTE. I put zero weight into it. 

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

And in regards to the "Eliminator" match, it's a simple concept that AEW and WWE has used multiple times (though I don't believe the latter uses the word "Eliminator", instead usually opting for something like "Contender's Match").

Yeah, but the champion is literally in the match. How can it be an eliminator? If Ford won does she jump Toni Storm to wrestle Thunder? What happens to the Interim title if that happens? Does Ford win it? 

They didn't bring any of this up on commentary either. This was just a random match to fill a women's quota was what it felt like. 

Edited by Makhai

45 minutes ago, Makhai said:

Yeah, but the champion is literally in the match. How can it be an eliminator? If Ford won does she jump Toni Storm to wrestle Thunder? What happens to the Interim title if that happens? Does Ford win it? 

They didn't bring any of this up on commentary either. This was just a random match to fill a women's quota was what it felt like. 

They've done the eliminator gimmick multiple times. In an eliminator match, if someone is able to beat the champion(s) in a non title match, they are granted a title shot regardless of their spot in the rankings.

They've done this with most of the titles at least once or twice.

• Thanks 1