The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

2 hours ago, newbiezness said:

First of all I think Britt could make an impact anywhere. To say that Britt is meh at promos IDK, what is Becky Lynch with the mic then? Can she even speak without babbling? She is not the best in ring, again is Becky the best in ring? Because Becky is the best paid female wrestler in the world and I haven't seen any reason that makes her better than Britt except have been given the "The Man" gimmick in the perfect year because of everything that happened outside of wrestling. Nothing against Becky, another one Bianca Belair. Ok this one is good in ring, she has strenght, physique... but does she have more charisma than Britt? Does she have better mic than Britt? I doubt it. And I'm comparing with top WWE stars.

About the roster. Apart from the joshis. Thunder Rosa a hell of a wresler. Penelope Ford is good. Athena is good. Willow, Red Velvet, can become good workers if there's a path for them. They all have some flaws? Yes, but are Shotzi, Zelina Vega, Piper Niven, Tamina and many others better? Jade is not good in ring, Ok but I see how she is improving and she has the looks and I think she can do the work in short promos. There are maybe 5 or 6 female wrestlers in WWE that really could make an impact in AEW. I don't buy this argument that the problem with the women's division is the roster.

Seeing as how I never mentioned Becky Lynch, I don't know how I'm supposed to respond to that. The last time I sat down and watched a full WWE show, COVID wasn't even a thing. So I can't even comment on most of Becky's promos to begin with, much less argue on behalf of company I find infinitely more exhausting than AEW. Britt's promos bore me, so I consider them to be 'meh'. If Becky's are worse, then I would consider them worse. That's it. I don't measure talent based on how much they get paid. If that were the case, then I would think that The Rock is the greatest technician who ever lived and Brock Lesnar has promo skills the likes of which even God has never seen.

As for the wrestlers I listed, I was listing ones I considered "better than" Britt, as Matt_Black was saying that there were better workers than her. I'll admit I forgot about Thunder Rosa, but I wasn't calling the rest of them bad, I just considered Britt the better worker overall. The entire crux of my argument was "who else would they put in that position at this time?". And of course it's a booking problem. When hasn't it been a booking problem with this division? But I can't exactly determine if someone's a good worker by the five or six times a year that Tony remembers they exist.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Honestly it just seems to me that there aren’t and weren’t enough quality women wrestlers for AEW to have a division. 

There are more than enough decent-to-good women workers, they're just not used, nor are they booked well when on they're actually on screen. NXT has far less quality talent, but they're used better and more throughout the show. Impact also has a small, but well booked women's division. AEW just has no one that knows how to book women. It shouldn't be as hard as AEW's creative makes it out to be. 

• Like 4

No new TV deal?

So Tony will be spending millions putting on a new show and not getting any extra TV revenue in return? 

This could indeed be the most important day in AEW history in the same way that the finger poke of doom was one of the most important days in WCW history

• Haha 2

On 5/15/2023 at 5:02 PM, aXminster said:

Next Wednesday is the WBD Upfronts and it could end up being the most important day in their history

>No new TV deal meaning tens of millions in extra expenses to double the TV output with no added revenue 

>Impending lawsuit from Vince for violating the WCW Logo trademarks he owns

>Punk melting down on Instagram about Alvarez and the Elite. Likely not returning for collision

Looks like you were right, today is going to end up being the most important day in AEW history!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Apparently, Punk isn't happy that Tony walked back on re-hiring Ace Steel. Right now, there is no deal in place for Punk to return to AEW, but Tony and Punk could still work something out. 

Jim Cornette seems to speak with Punk's camp rather frequently. He probably has a decent read on Punk's state of mind.

Pretty sure tonights big announcement was gonna be Punk/Chicago but they had to delay the collision premiere location announcement to next week because of Punks shenanigans earlier in the day

I do hope he comes back, one of the few must-watch active wrestlers remaining and with Punk there drawing fans again Tony won't have to shell out for seat fillers

Screenshot_20230518_025726.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DrawingDimes said:

Pretty sure tonights big announcement was gonna be Punk/Chicago but they had to delay the collision premiere location announcement to next week because of Punks shenanigans earlier in the day

I do hope he comes back, one of the few must-watch active wrestlers remaining and with Punk there drawing fans again Tony won't have to shell out for seat fillers

You think Tony moves the debut Collision if Punk leaves? Like, will AEW run the first Collision out of Florida -- or maybe even the UK?

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrawingDimes said:

Screenshot_20230518_025726.jpg

That pic killed me 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

You think Tony moves the debut Collision if Punk leaves? Like, will AEW run the first Collision out of Florida -- or maybe even the UK?

Yeah they absolutely have to move it if he isn't gonna be there. The location announcement next week is basically confirmation of whether he's in imo

If they keep it in Chicago the United Center would be packed out for Punk and if he's not there they would turn on the show

The second hour was a lot better than the first one. Jeff Jarrett on national TV in 2023 is already bad enough, and then they bring in Karen. I don't get it. It's an instant mute for me until they are out of the screen. Jericho's match was pretty fun.

About CM Punk, I really hope he doesn't come back now. There's always something with him and he's gonna keep being trouble in the locker room.

Ace Steel officially #AllElite again

Punk return imminent. 

As far Karen Jarrett, ugh, they found a way to make me boo Triple J, which I didn't expect. So kudos to them I guess. 

As for Sammy, ugh, worst possible person to win at DoN. 

6 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Wait so Sammy was in the arena but the JAS was banned so how could Sammy be allowed in the arena. And since he was why didn’t he help Jericho?

Tony's instincts are correct but he can't read the room here.

Sammy does better work as a face, but AEW fans will never cheer Sammy when he behaves like a buffoon outside the ring. 

Sammy is like Foley in that respect -- Sammy has a heel look, but has good natural charisma and a devil-may-care attitude that in a vacuum people will cheer. 

Tony's right to split Sammy off from the Jericho Appreciation Society. Sammy needs to become his own wrestler and not a Jericho sidekick -- he's too far up the card now to linger as a lackey. Either move Sammy to another stable or have him strike out as a singles wrestler.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

If I were Tony, I'd pair Sammy up with Los Ingobernables and use that as an excuse to loan him out to AAA or NJPW. He'd learn a lot from Andrade and RUSH and making amends with them would go a long way towards mending fences with the boys in the back (and the fans). 

Sammy has a flair for character work and costumes that would make him a good fit in the House of Black as well. He look killer dripped out like Vampiro coming out with the group -- a little makeup would hide Sammy's inability to grow the gimmick-mandated House of Black viking beard. 

(This would also provide a nice opportunity to shaft Jericho further down the card with a faction feud)

6 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Wait so Sammy was in the arena but the JAS was banned so how could Sammy be allowed in the arena. And since he was why didn’t he help Jericho?

They were banned from the arena DURING the match. Not the whole show. 

2 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Tony's instincts are correct but he can't read the room here.

Sammy does better work as a face, but AEW fans will never cheer Sammy when he behaves like a buffoon outside the ring. 

Sammy is like Foley in that respect -- Sammy has a heel look, but has good natural charisma and a devil-may-care attitude that in a vacuum people will cheer. 

Tony's right to split Sammy off from the Jericho Appreciation Society. Sammy needs to become his own wrestler and not a Jericho sidekick -- he's too far up the card now to linger as a lackey. Either move Sammy to another stable or have him strike out as a singles wrestler.

Sammy was presented as a face yesterday because the show was in Texas, where he is from. I don't expect crowds to be cheering for him anywhere. Which is a shame, because I actually like him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, aXminster said:

Sammy was presented as a face yesterday because the show was in Texas, where he is from. I don't expect crowds to be cheering for him anywhere. Which is a shame, because I actually like him.

I'm a big Sammy fan too. 

His mannerisms remind me a lot of Booker T. He can really sell, too -- much like Booker, that's a strong suit for Sammy. I always thought Booker T could've been the top face in a national company, and I feel the same way about Sammy. 

But right now, the AEW fans don't like Sammy, mostly because Sammy doesn't carry himself like an adult outside the ring. 

He's said some dumb things and rubbed a lot of guys in the back the wrong way. Fans pick up on that. 

Hopefully, Sammy could turn it around. 

- Starting the show with Wardlow telling Christian to "spit in my face" lol.
- Cassidy & Darby vs The Firm was good.
- Parking lot beatdown. Wardlow might regret putting Christian in a ladder match. Cassidy facing the entire roster at DoN lol.
- Not a fan of 10 second squashes. Sammy trying his best to get over as a babyface.
- FTR pushing Satnam off the stage popped me. Karen lol.
- Outcasts vs Shida & DMD was solid. New Shida theme tease. Shame Hayter's injured.
- Roddy vs Jericho Falls Count Anywhere was fun. Stairwell spot made me nervous. Mister Softee with Madi Wrenkowski behind the counter lol. Cole smart babyface confirmed. Jericho in the dirt.
- Rush vs Jungle Jack was good.
- MJF... booooo! Rare promo time for Toni.
- White vs Ricky was my MOTN.
- Don Callis is a POS. Kenny thought he was Wardlow fighting security. Bucks with the plunder. Eyepatch Hangman. Anarchy in the Arena is a good choice for the PPV.

3 hours ago, Hollywood said:

When will Tony pick up the pencil and book a good show again? #NotABooker

He just needs to turn his booking notebook 90 degrees again

22 hours ago, aXminster said:

Sammy was presented as a face yesterday because the show was in Texas, where he is from. I don't expect crowds to be cheering for him anywhere

Tony should've instructed the seat fillers he paid to be there to actually cheer the hometown babyface promo instead of just stand there in silence

• Haha 1

This thread is so much better now that I've figured out the ignore button. It's like troll spray.

Anyway, I'm excited for the summer schedule AEW has in place. I hope they draw huge numbers in Canada and at Wembley, and I hope this weird drought of quality booking ends soon when Punk is either announced to be coming back or kicked to the curb.

Edited by falling_star
  • Haha 1