The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

12 minutes ago, milamber said:

It's way too early for MJF to lose. I doubt he'll lose it this year. He'll run through the pillars and probably Kenny. Next Champion will probably be either Starks or Cole.

I think the guy who needs to beat MJF for the belt is Eddie Kingston. He's ridiculously over, puts on good matches (remember when he and Danielson got a standing ovation DURING a match), and can go head to head with Max on the mic. Moreover, he's almost the complete antithesis of MJF. Max is a young, good-looking rich kid with a chiseled physique. Eddie is... not any of that, and we love him for it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I think the guy who needs to beat MJF for the belt is Eddie Kingston. He's ridiculously over, puts on good matches (remember when he and Danielson got a standing ovation DURING a match), and can go head to head with Max on the mic. Moreover, he's almost the complete antithesis of MJF. Max is a young, good-looking rich kid with a chiseled physique. Eddie is... not any of that, and we love him for it.

I don't see TK pushing Eddie to the top of the company but I'd love to be proved wrong. He's earned a title run but I think ROH Champion is more likely.

Edited by milamber

20 hours ago, milamber said:

It's way too early for MJF to lose. I doubt he'll lose it this year. He'll run through the pillars and probably Kenny. Next Champion will probably be either Starks or Cole.

I think the opposite, it was too early to win the championship for MJF and now he's held the title enough time. Maybe I'm biased because I have to admit that I'm not a huge MJF fan, although I recognize he's good at promos. But let's see some past AEW champions:

Jericho (182 days)

Hangman Page (197 days)

Those are the days some past champions reigns took. Only Kenny and Mox reings were longer. MJF is now at 152 days and DoN is a month away. Too short? I don't think so. DoN needs a face win IMHO and Darby is the only option left, I think he deserves the opportunity and he was the first pillar to hold a title, it makes sense.

If Adam Cole or Starks are the next champions... first I don't see Starks as a better option in any way, Cole is a safer option but he doesn't need the title, he's just comeback, and most important that means we have to wait probably until All Out for another champion. That's way too long.

21 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

His gimmick and style is too similar to Moxley's for the casual fan and Moxley has already been the champion 3-times.

4 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Mox looks like a wrestler. To paraphrase a line from a review of last year's Forbidden Door, if I recall correctly, Eddie looks, talks, and wrestles like a fan jumped the barricade and security was too afraid to stop him.

I agree with this.

As good as Kingston is on the mic, and as decent of a worker he is, I just can't get into him.

I know here we are fans talking about wrestling companies and not the ones in charge of decisions, so we don't necessary have to take into consideration business part, etc. I'm an AEW fan since day one, although I think AEW has made a lot of mistakes so far, I'm still interested and I'd watch AEW over WWE any day. I do respect your opinions and I'm sure I haven't watched as many hours of wrestling in my life as most of you.

But... I don't understand the reasoning behind putting the AEW World championship on a 41-year-old wrestler who has been mid-card at best in medium size companies like ROH or Impact and only won championships at small companies over wrestlers like Adam Cole, Bryan Danielson, Malakai Black, Pac, to name a few who haven't been world champions yet, or others with great potential and a long storyline that started years ago of supposedly be the next generation like 'the four pillars'. Even Will Ospreay, Jay White, El Hijo Del Vikingo who aren't closely related to AEW would be a better choice.

>Orange Cassidy scaring away 100k casual viewers again by putting Bandidos hands in his pockets

>60 year old vs 60 lbs overweight sloppy slow botchfest

>Arn Anderson rambling about the NFL while Christian Cage and his buddy walk up and down the ramp without saying a word

>DQ finish to a match that involved a table being used in full view of the ref

>Tony Khan too much of a control freak to appoint a GM but too anxious to do live promos so we get the segment where he "texts" the announcer who suddenly becomes an authority figure

>"If you use your finisher its a DQ" stipulation match

>jobber tag team in the main event

>Bryan Danielson promo botch

>Weekly BCC beatdown segment where Jon Moxley gets to live out his prepubescent power fantasy of being a tough guy and no-selling everything despite being 40+ and looking like a balding fat drunk homeless bum who jumped the barricade

Potentially the worst episode of Dynamite ever and that's saying something. They will probably retain more viewers this week though because it was such a car crash I couldn't take my eyes off it

On 4/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, Jaysin said:

DDP won his first world title at 43 and I'd argue that Eddie is as good of a performer as DDP, albeit a different style. Age means less in wrestling now than it ever has. 

Eddie definitely could've been huge if TK took advantage of the situation when he was hot. Kingston was white hot out of the Punk feud, went into Jericho which killed his momentum but he still had the fans, but it didn't matter cause TK basically gave up on him. 

DDP was given weekly wins and positioned against the top heel faction to get him up the card. If TK did the same with Kingston even now he could still be something cause like you said age doesn't really mean much. Billy Gunn & Dustin Rhodes are exihibit A & B.

Yeah. Billy Gunn is arguably more over now than he ever was in DX.

My too main quibbles last night were the TBS championship match (really dumb finish, but if keeping the belt on Jade now keeps here out of the Owen Tournament, then that's fine) and the repetitiveness of the BCC. Orange Cassidy coming out to help Adam Cole of all people caused me to raise an eyebrow, but at least their past history is being acknowledged.

- Cassidy (c) vs Bandido was my MOTN. Champion should always enter last. Scarf guy standing up with a small girl behind him was annoying.
- Legendary interview with Cassidy & Bandido. Lots of references to squashing beefs recently...
- Jarrett vs Dax was solid but I don't want to watch JJ in singles matches.
- Owen Cup hype. Good news for Canadian fans.
- Wardlow vs Jobber was a waste of time. Is Arn going to turn Wardlow heel?
- Bromance! Sammy's already forgotten about Jericho & Garcia lol.
- RJ didn't last long.
- Darby vs Sammy was good. Pickles! Taking the scenic route to the 4-Way.
- Cole got some new friends. Roddy! I hope KOR is back soon.
- QTV taking a serious turn.
- Taya vs Jade (c) was solid until the flat ending. The result confirms TK is waiting for Statlander to return. Taya turning heel to join the Outcasts?
- Jamie & Britt banged up.
- Omega & Takeshita vs Butcher & Blade was solid. Takeshita taken down by Checkov's screwdriver.

On 4/23/2023 at 6:59 PM, Matt_Black said:

I have to think the money match for Wembley would be Punk vs. Omega. I think it would feel incomplete without a title on the line -- especially since CM Punk never really lost the AEW World Championship after winning it at All Out in 2022. 

I guess the move would be to give the belt to Kenny in the next couple months before facing Punk at Wembley. I guess you could also go with a Triple Threat match.

43 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I have to think the money match for Wembley would be Punk vs. Omega. I think it would feel incomplete without a title on the line -- especially since CM Punk never really lost the AEW World Championship after winning it at All Out in 2022. 

I guess the move would be to give the belt to Kenny in the next couple months before facing Punk at Wembley. I guess you could also go with a Triple Threat match.

Who said anything about Wembley? Wembley is still too soon for Max to drop it. The main event for All In should be MJF vs Nick Aldis.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

Who said anything about Wembley? Wembley is still too soon for Max to drop it. The main event for All In should be MJF vs Nick Aldis.

Aldis just debuted in Impact. I doubt he'll main event a huge show for AEW.

As for Dynamite, not sure how anyone could consider it the worst edition of the show. I can't recall any episodes in particular that were worse, but I know there have been quite a few. 

Rampage was solid for the most part. 

I don't think Punk vs Omega even needs a title anyway. The childish nonsense is storyline enough. 

On 4/28/2023 at 7:42 PM, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Punk vs. Omega doesn't need a title. It's the rare feud where having a title would actually hurt the real-life vitriol involved. On the other hand, it gives whoever wins the match an almost automatic point to say that they're the biggest guy in the promotion and "deserve" a world title shot (if it's Punk who came out on top, which would make the most sense and show that Omega cares more about the company and telling good stories than about his own ego), the addition of him never having lost is just one more reason why he should be challenging MJF for the title.

St.T

• Like 3

On 4/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, DrawingDimes said:

>Orange Cassidy scaring away 100k casual viewers again by putting Bandidos hands in his pockets

>60 year old vs 60 lbs overweight sloppy slow botchfest

>Arn Anderson rambling about the NFL while Christian Cage and his buddy walk up and down the ramp without saying a word

>DQ finish to a match that involved a table being used in full view of the ref

>Tony Khan too much of a control freak to appoint a GM but too anxious to do live promos so we get the segment where he "texts" the announcer who suddenly becomes an authority figure

>"If you use your finisher its a DQ" stipulation match

>jobber tag team in the main event

>Bryan Danielson promo botch

>Weekly BCC beatdown segment where Jon Moxley gets to live out his prepubescent power fantasy of being a tough guy and no-selling everything despite being 40+ and looking like a balding fat drunk homeless bum who jumped the barricade

Potentially the worst episode of Dynamite ever and that's saying something. They will probably retain more viewers this week though because it was such a car crash I couldn't take my eyes off it

Corny?

St.T

• Haha 3