How do you take the title of a mid carder you want to push?

So I’ve had a mid card title and basically want to strap a rocket to this guy. He’s unfortunately auto pushed to upper mid card as I’ve been booking him so well. Ideally I don’t want the title going that high up the card. So I need him to drop the belt so it settles back in the mid card. But I also don’t want to really ruin his momentum by directly losing it to someone below him as would knock some of the work I’ve done.

Any tips?

Do you book a performance > pop? Or a pop > performance?

If you book a perf > pop, like I do, I often use factions as a key element, to tell stories and such. One thing I'd do is have a cunning heel use his backup/help to steal the win. Sometimes I even have a new member join the faction. Perhaps if both members in factions you can have an upper midcard / main eventer turn on his whole faction (the midcarder you want to push specifically) and start a feud there.

If you book a pop > performance you can just make him lose by introducing a heel turn, or the guy can use like a steel chair, or use the guys championship belt (keep strong) and have it run there. One thing I'd do regardless, is just have someone interfere, that gives him a good excuse to NOT challenge for the title.

If face:

1. Have them lose in a tainted finish with interference etc to someone and then just keep them on a decent winning streak after.

Or

2. Have them get jumped in a big way after a match by someone they're going to feud with, vacate the belt due to injury, put them on vacation for a couple of weeks, then have them coming back for revenge. Put title up for grabs in mini tournament or rumble.

If heel:

1.Botched interference by minon or tag partner

2. flash pinfall and then beat the baby face up for revenge after

3. A big name baby face interferes and costs them their belt to an underdog for revenge for whatever they did the week before

I would maybe book a triple threat, and have the current champion booked with the keep strong note, and have the third man eat the pin. I don't think the current champion will take much of a hit on that loss then, but I could be wrong.

I would maybe book a triple threat, and have the current champion booked with the keep strong note, and have the third man eat the pin. I don't think the current champion will take much of a hit on that loss then...

I do the exact same thing. Triple threat environment and keep the losing champion strong. There should be no push back, and if you keep booking him strong after the loss it will be like nothing happened....

• 2 weeks later...
For a face version of what Hurricanendp suggested, you could have him surrender the title to a authority so he can challenge for the main title as an angle, then you can go from there (maybe he loses to your top face champion in an even contest then both get jumped by a pair of your top heels after, or your top heel champion cheats to win leading to a heated rivalry, go crazy) and the dropped title can go into a tournament for your next big project to win.