Champions in story-lines

One thing I always seem to struggle with is Storylines involving my champions. I don't want my belts to be hot potatoes and therefore, I don't want my champions to be losing matches (particularly my face champions, which rules out cheap losses too). How do I put together a good story with my non-champions getting "wins" without actually winning?

Success in angles works, also non title and tag team matches. Think of how WWE does/did it.

Week 1

New challenger attacks champion

Champion cuts promo on challenger

Champion has a tag match which the new challenger interferes in or attacks post match.

Week 2

Champion cuts promo on the attack/interference. Challenger comes out big brawl.

Challenger has a match and champion gives a receipt for last week

Week 3

Rinse and repeat from previous week with show open promo, maybe have the challenger be the one cutting the promo.

Tag match between Champion's team and challenger's team. Challenger can get a pin over the champion clean or other wise.

Week 4

First match, champion wins.

Then repeat as needed with variations until you blow the feud off.

Promos. Attack angles. Beating other people who aren't the champion, be they the champion's friends or just strong rival challengers. Winning in tag team matches, maybe by pinning the champion, maybe not. There are a lot of generic things you can do to get one over on the champion without having a pinfall... or even having a match. I prefer storylines where champion and challenger don't even touch until the fight, leaving that big "what if?" question looming over the entire thing.

Who is the champion? What makes him a great fighter? What are his weaknesses? What does he care about? How does the challenger challenge that?

One thing I always seem to struggle with is Storylines involving my champions. I don't want my belts to be hot potatoes and therefore, I don't want my champions to be losing matches (particularly my face champions, which rules out cheap losses too). How do I put together a good story with my non-champions getting "wins" without actually winning?

Do tag team, six mans, eight mans, etc, and have the challenger pin someone other than the champ.

Or have the champ wrestle and put the challenger on guest commentary.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bhalbur" data-cite="bhalbur" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47250" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> Or have the champ wrestle and put the challenger on guest commentary.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> All good advice so far, but with regards to the above comment, does putting someone on commentary give them a "Win" in the storyline?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="redhilleagle" data-cite="redhilleagle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47250" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>All good advice so far, but with regards to the above comment, does putting someone on commentary give them a "Win" in the storyline?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No.</p>

He doesn't have to necessarily win though, just use the keep strong agent note and maybe have him lose to a flash pinfall/outside interference.

I remember Triple H (as champ at that) went 3v1 against Kaientai and Brooklyn Brawler and Triple H lost because someone interfered, I don't remember who but the point was Triple H lost against jobbers and he clearly dominated the whole match.

I always plan my world champions storylines or rather opponents around 6-9 months in advance.

I then book the challengers strongly in the run up to their title challenge, that way any popularity loses they get from being beaten in the championship storyline are small compared to the popularity gains in the run up to their championship storyline.

As for the storylines themselves you could go for:

Face Champ vs Heel Challenger

Attack by heel on champion

Attack by heel on champions friend

Face standing up for what is right vs a heel who has no morals

plain good vs evil two of the best in the business

Monster heel vs underdog champion

Face turns on champion friend

Heel belives he should be the rightful champion

Heel provokes/manipulates the champion into offering him a challenge

Heel Champ vs Face Challenger

Face stands up to dastardly champion

Heel gets under the skin of the face challenger on a personal level

Dominant heel vs underdog challenger

Arrogant/dominant heel vs top face, has the champ met his match?

Heel turns face on heel champion

Face returns from hiatus/injury to challenge heel