MLW Discussion Thread

BHK1978

Was just watching this week's RoH TV and as I was watching the main event Pure gauntlet, it started to strike me just how heavily MLW has been raided the last couple years or so. You combine AEW and RoH, it been almost brutal.

AEW's swiped everything from top line guys like the Lucha Brothers. To projects MLW started but couldn't finish like MJF and Donte "Air Wolf" Martin. To making a former afterthought like Sammy Guevara into a blue chipper.

While RoH has taken two stagnant going nowheres in Rush and PCO and made them world champions. Taken a ho hum midcarder like Brody King and made him a big enough force to where he's leading his own stable. As well as making guys like Fred Yehi and the former Jimmy now Wheeler Yuta look like stars where in the Dub they were lucky to get to be flunkies. You think about all those subtractions and how much better they look in their new homes, it's kind of scary if you're looking at it from an MLW perspective. Look at recent episodes of Fusion in this light and you can almost feel the panic in how the front office is thinking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked Never Say Never. The CONTRA promo with subtitles is everything you need to know about the promotion - sounds good on paper, but gets such a lazy execution. Probably used Google Translate for that lol :p

The matches were fine, but I expected more from the title bout. They also had a new commentator, and he sounded IDENTICAL to Rich Bochinni.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blodyxe" data-cite="Blodyxe" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47513" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The matches were fine, but I expected more from the title bout. They also had a new commentator, and he sounded IDENTICAL to Rich Bochinni.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't know what was up with his audio. I am not sure if it was a microphone problem or what, but at times he sounded like he was a mile away from his microphone and then there were times when he sounded very loud. </p><p> </p><p> For such a hyped show, it was just there. It was not terrible but it was far from good.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Super excited about the arrival of Matt Cross to Azteca Underground! On top of that, they got Aramis and Davey Richards... plus they revived Dario. Can't wait for the new shows

I really want to get back into MLW. I watched a bunch like spring-summer 2019 with the rise of Contra Unit and it was pretty fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread and MLW by extension aren't too popular here, but hoping someone has an answer for me.

I really want to give MLW a shot since some guys I love have jointed the company. I saw that the Battle Riot match itself is airing on beIN sports this Saturday, but does anyone know when the rest of the show will be shown? Mostly interested in Davey Richards vs TJP and Jacob Fatu vs Matt Cross.

I know this thread and MLW by extension aren't too popular here, but hoping someone has an answer for me.

I really want to give MLW a shot since some guys I love have jointed the company. I saw that the Battle Riot match itself is airing on beIN sports this Saturday, but does anyone know when the rest of the show will be shown? Mostly interested in Davey Richards vs TJP and Jacob Fatu vs Matt Cross.

They used to air new episodes on YouTube every Wednesday at 7pm EST. But since they went on a break a few months ago they have not been airing on there. I am not sure if they posted a new show yesterday or not as I have not been on there to check it out. I am thinking that now they have the beIN Sports deal, they might not post on YouTube. But I honestly do not really know.

Same thing here, watched Battle Riot III match on Youtube.

Things I liked: Dario-Cesar promo, start of Injustice/LAX, skit with EJ and Tom LAWlor, Zenshi, "LA Park" cameo

Things I disliked: Second part of Battle Riot, where Contra's cannon fodder entered the ring almost collectively. Also Mil's booking (the unexplained revival of K-Dawg and Savio Vega) and underwhelming performance from Hammerstone.

6.5/10 from me, excited to see Davey/Tom feud. Heard that Arez and Aramis stle the show at those tapings, and from the little exchange they had in the match, that bout was bonkers

This...

Same thing here, watched Battle Riot III match on

Youtube.

Things I liked: Dario-Cesar promo, start of Injustice/LAX, skit with EJ and Tom LAWlor, Zenshi, "LA Park" cameo

Things I disliked: Second part of Battle Riot, where Contra's cannon fodder entered the ring almost collectively. Also Mil's booking (the unexplained revival of K-Dawg and Savio Vega) and underwhelming performance from Hammerstone.

6.5/10 from me, excited to see Davey/Tom feud. Heard that Arez and Aramis stle the show at those tapings, and from the little exchange they had in the match, that bout was bonkers

And this...

in the UK we still got them on Youtube, i have just watched Battle Riot 3

Odd, I did not see it when I looked for it on YouTube. I will have to look again. Thank you both for posting, because I would not bother to look for it again, if both of you had not posted.

I finally watched it yesterday afternoon. Like Blodyxe said I was not really fond of the whole Contra deal at the end. Mostly because I don't really care about any of them besides Fatu. I also like Josef Samael, but I would rather he stay as a manager. He is a pretty good heel manager. I know he is a wrestler as well (I saw him and Fatu as a tag team for another promotion that posts shows on YouTube, though I do not recall the name of the promotion. The company was based in California.) but he is just so much better as a manager.

I was really impressed by what I saw out of Lee Moriarty thus far. I think he might be someone to watch.

Tom Lawlor is such a great heel. He has the perfect balance of being annoying but hilarious at the same time.

It sucked that the cameras missed a lot of Zenshi's antics when he was getting back into the ring. The WWE would never cut away from Johnny Morrison or Kofi when they do their thing, I am not sure why MLW did it so often. I guess part of it was pacing, at the start of the match there were just far too many people in the ring at once.

I hate to admit it, but I am starting to not dislike Jordan Oliver. I always thought Myron was good but since they have come back from the shutdown last year Jordan is becoming more likable to me.

I wonder who actually owns the LAX name. Is it Impact, Konnan, someone else? This is what the third or fourth version of the team. I would have rather had Homicide involved in this new version but with him in the NWA, he might not be abel to do so. I just don't like when they plugin people who have had no history with the team. Yes I know Konnan has history but I mean active wrestlers.

Not going to lie I am glad they brought Rich Bocchini back instead of the guy who replaced him.

I wanted to add one more thought. Was it me or did that crowd seem very tame for a Philadelphia crowd? I am not sure if MLW did not mic them right or what but apart from some pops here and there they were not very vocal or at least not as vocal as I would assume they would be.

I wanted to add one more thought. Was it me or did that crowd seem very tame for a Philadelphia crowd? I am not sure if MLW did not mic them right or what but apart from some pops here and there they were not very vocal or at least not as vocal as I would assume they would be.

Well, they taped a lot of matches for Fusion beforehand. Battle Riot was the 14th match of that event, the crowd was simply tired by that point

• 1 month later...
Well, MLW is back with ALPHA Fusion. Enjoyed the heck out of the first show, Lawlor/Cesar skit was entertaining even though the production budget is kinda underwhelming. All three matches are fun, and all different.

I enjoyed it as well but the artificial crowd noise sort of took me out of it. It is like hearing a laugh track on a sitcom, it is just annoying.

Speaking of annoying, I am a little annoyed over the fact that I am going to miss out on the big show because I don't get Vice. That main event should be really good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That whole twelve man tag match was a complete crap show. I understand why it was done to get EJ over but still those teams just seemed to be very random. For instance why was a member of CONTRA on the heel's team when all the members of the MLW roster are supposed to despise CONTRA?

I do have to say EJ looks like a million bucks and I am shocked that the WWE would cut him. To me, the dude has superstar written all over him.

Then there is the Women's division. They are doing a really bad job trying to get me to care about the Women's division. How do you have a Women's division with seven women in it and only one of them (Holidead) is pushed as a heel? Why should we as fans care about a bunch of fan favorites fighting each other week after week, only to hug after the matches? Where is the conflict?

That being said I do think that Willow Nightingale could very well end up being heel. They are kind of leaning her that way and her promos are very annoying. So I could see her winning the title and then being pushed as an annoying heel.

Finally, I will never not be happy to see Homicide and LA Park. LA Park was always my favorite Lucha guy in WCW and I am not sure why I like Homicide but I always have.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to give Azteca a chance, but holy crap they are not trying at all. They can't even have a real ring bell, using the audio track and DISPLAYING it on the tron.

HkSZTxl.png?2

Does this look like Major League to you? :D

Everything about this collab with CRASH is wack, and I feel bad for people who expected LU #2. On paper, they have interesting people involved, but the execution is just so trash.

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, Blodyxe said:

I wanted to give Azteca a chance, but holy crap they are not trying at all. They can't even have a real ring bell, using the audio track and DISPLAYING it on the tron.

HkSZTxl.png?2

Does this look like Major League to you? :D

Everything about this collab with CRASH is wack, and I feel bad for people who expected LU #2. On paper, they have interesting people involved, but the execution is just so trash.

Their event from yesterday came up on my YouTube feed (Raven and some team in a cage match, Riddle vs Thatcher, David Boy Smith Jr was on it). I always crap on TNA for their subpar presentation - the ring echoes way too much, the crowd seems like it’s just a couple hundred people, etc. The presentation of this show was not bad for it being a smaller promotion. Some of the wrestlers look terrible though, and the promos were underwhelming from some of the less known names. Didn’t watch everything, but the AJ Francis involvement, and Dario Cueto (by whatever name he uses) really stood out. The gap between them and the rest was jarring.

9 hours ago, CQI13 said:

Their event from yesterday came up on my YouTube feed (Raven and some team in a cage match, Riddle vs Thatcher, David Boy Smith Jr was on it). I always crap on TNA for their subpar presentation - the ring echoes way too much, the crowd seems like it’s just a couple hundred people, etc. The presentation of this show was not bad for it being a smaller promotion. Some of the wrestlers look terrible though, and the promos were underwhelming from some of the less known names. Didn’t watch everything, but the AJ Francis involvement, and Dario Cueto (by whatever name he uses) really stood out. The gap between them and the rest was jarring.

If it was the War Chamber match then it was Raven, Akira, Jimmy Lloyd and Jake Crist vs Cannonball, Dr. Cornwallis, Sami Callihan and Ricky Shane Page.  RSP's team is called The Calling and thus Raven named his opposing team The Answer.