Public Beta Reaction Thread

<p>Absolutely love the tour of the CVerse when you start a new game, it's a fantastic touch. Unfortunately, it's also the only good use of graphics I've seen from the game as I play around with the demo.</p><p> </p><p>

I have to echo what most others are saying, the UI is horrendous... it's literally giving me a headache trying to power through so I can explore the world and book a show. I might love some of these new features, but I'd never know because I can't get my bearings to do anything. The never-ending grids and lines, the blinking scroll bars, the large spaces of emptiness on some screens, not being able to use my scroll wheel by default...</p><p> </p><p>

It feels so soulless and uninviting, which makes me really sad-- TEW2004 didn't even feel that way, and it was far & away the worst UI of any of the TEW games to this point. I mean, no one could even design buttons for this thing? It's just text in white-lined boxes all crammed together like a Connect 4 grid?</p><p> </p><p>

This thing could be aces under the hood, but I'm not sure I'll ever find out because it's the shits to look at.</p>

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skweech" data-cite="skweech" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can this be installed on a mac in any way?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Dude windows is free on microsofts website. Use bootcamp on your mac to install it and if you have enough hard drive space this can all work.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Chriswok" data-cite="Chriswok" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> <strong>Dislike</strong></p><p> </p><p> - Not being able to use the arrow keys to scroll through the names of wrestlers anymore</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Toggle off "enable new style colored lists" in your preferences. </p><p> </p><p> Makes it WAY better.</p>

Functionally, the game is brilliant, and already so many of the new features are outstanding.

The UI (mostly the skin) is incredibly lazy in places though. It took me ages to figure out how to assign gimmicks, roles etc. because the Company Status panel is atrocious. If you could fix basic UI delivery then this will blow 2016 out of the water. Hopefully skin community can solve it too, but as a default release this is quite poor UI design.

Honestly, and you can't understand how disappointed I am to be saying this, I can't see myself buying this game. I had such high hopes when I saw the first screen, and then Intro screens looked great, and then real disappointment set in when I saw the 'Office' screen.

It really seems like they've just chucked things onto the screen because they have the additional space.

I want to keep as constructive as possible with my criticism, and most of it is centered around the issue of small font size causing a lot of eye strain. I'm using a 24" 1080p monitor, nothing particularly extravagant, just for reference sake.

On my first hour-ish of poking around, the biggest improvement, if it can be made, would be to increase the font size. I think increasing the font to Arial 12 would be a substantial improvement from the 10 point font.

If it's possible, on the workers page, maybe expanding the Skills/Attributes column may help reduce eye strain? My thinking would be making two columns worth of skills - similar to how it looks when you click into the skills to see their progression - so there's no need for a scroll. The Status section could be shrunk a skosh, or the Popularity/Employment section could be trimmed down to allow more space for the skills. (side note: I freaking love that we can now see how long someone's contract is!)

I like the malleability of options at the bottom, but I would really like them divided into the Creative, Management, Production categories that existed in the previous years. Maybe color-code the options to those categories?

Those are the most substantial issues I have, at the moment, since I'm still getting a handle on booking shows. I'm liking the ideas, though, and I want to keep poking around.

I like the malleability of options at the bottom, but I would really like them divided into the Creative, Management, Production categories that existed in the previous years. Maybe color-code the options to those categories?

Color coding them is a good, lightweight suggestion!

The contracts screen within a company is impossible to look at; it's unreadable at best, seizure-inducing at worst. I've not played much, just looking around it reading bios & stuff but I can't see myself getting used to this.

I will say that I love the skills comparison feature but I don't like the skills page either. I've used the same number-grade combo image since 2013 and looking at a side-by-side comparison, TEW 2016 looks so much more user-friendly. The old game you could get an idea for how good someone was at a glance. The new one has the exact same colour used from 40-69, 70-84. You have to look at every skill individually just to see what someone is like, and that's with scouting off.

In my opinion it's a good sign that the major complaints are about the UI

If I'm reading this correctly most of these people have played the game for less that 30 minutes, but in theory yes, in actuality having the game look so daunting turns away even the veterans and make it so that nobody seeing this online will be immediatly hooked (though that is hard for simulators anyway).

Certain buttons don't work.

You can't publicly fire or pull a prank on someone, it just doesn't do anything when you click the button.

The fire button doesn't actually give you an option to fire them, it just takes you to a roster page and nothing else.

You can't publicly fire or pull a prank on someone, it just doesn't do anything when you click the button.

The fire button doesn't actually give you an option to fire them, it just takes you to a roster page and nothing else.

Where is the "fire" button? Been looking for it for 20min.

In Terms of the layout I quite like it as it feels fresh.

The one suggestion regarding the skins is the Excel feel with too many Grids/lines

I have had a play with one bit of the skin and removed some of the grid.

here is before and after

bgo.png

background.png

taking the grid away I think makes it easier on the eyes.

But other than that enjoying the game so far.

Ah ha, that's miles better. Just get rid of the bright white lines everywhere and suddenly you can actually focus on the text. This would be a MAJOR pro on a hell of a lot of the screens in the game.

Apart from that (and the general lack of colour on a lot of screen as well) I've enjoyed my first look through.

Of specific note is previously having to go through three screens of multiple sliders being condensed into one easily clickable attribute screen. That's going to make worker creating / editing a comparative breeze, especially the whole "if they not set as terrible or great as a gimmick type, the AI still treats them as able to do them" thing. Such a weight off of my editor-obsessed mind.

Yeah, this is a very strange design decision. Red as the lowest on the scale all the way to green as the highest is essentially universal.

Ngv1fEN.png

Agreed. This just seems kind of strange as is. Not game breaking and something we'd adapt to but green is usually associated with the best ratings/general goodness in games.

Post them in the Tech Support thread (although pulling a rib does seem to work if you change the drop-down menu option).

Pull a rib, at least, is fixed in tomorrow's patch.

Something that I've noticed is that you can't start the database with loaned contracts anymore, thus you can't have (for example) Kenny Omega being exclusive with AEW and on loan at AAA, it's either exclusive and no AAA, or non-exclusive. It's really bugging me. is there anything I can do about this?

What do you mean by the fire button?

To release someone, you go to their profile, click the arrows next to "Popularity" to scroll across to their contract details, where there is a "Release" button. Admittedly it's not the easiest section to find, but is explained in the handbook, or just takes a few seconds playing around on the roster screen.

I have just tested releasing two people - one on a written contract and one on handshake - using a converted 1991 mod, and both worked fine.

EDIT: I've realised you mean from the booking section, and I'm encountering the same problem.