Custom Products

I would argue that those finishes do turn the fans off. And that's the point behind them, building 'real' heat by making the audience mad. Which in game terms would hurt the match rating.

There is a difference between turning your fans off like the Seth vs Fiend Hell in a Cell Match finish and building heat by having heels be heels.

One is a legit booking tool and the other is genuine backlash. Why would a company ever run heels being heels if the fans reacted like they did to that Seth vs Fiend Cell Match? They wouldn't, so you would never be able to properly use non-clean finishes legitimately.

Are you saying NJPW fans literally go "That was dumb, I'm considering not paying this company money again" or do they go "I hate the Bullet Club?"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying NJPW fans literally go "That was dumb, I'm considering not paying this company money again" or do they go "I hate the Bullet Club?"

Yes because those are the only 2 options.

"The crap interference finish ruined the match" = lowered match rating. The penalty amount could be argued.

But if BC is something that works in real life, and you want to put penalties on the matches that have interference finishes, then you need to come up with some benefit of doing it to balance it out. Bonuses for the blowoff matches, +pop for the guys who interfere, something.

When I see "penalty," I see "doing it this way is objectively worse than not doing it this way." Which is correct for booking deathmatches in WWE, and murkier for anything with grey area.

I would argue that those finishes do turn the fans off. And that's the point behind them, building 'real' heat by making the audience mad. Which in game terms would hurt the match rating.

It's not real heat, it's good heat. With your reasoning, Jay White should be hated so, but he is the 28th most popular wrestler in Japan in 2019 (search "Numbers Magazine Top 100"), 3rd Gaijin behind Omega and Ospreay, not bad for a guy who wins by cheating against Tanahashi and Okada. And Taichi the guys who cheat the most, 20th.

Maybe Japanase aren't against those finishes, that's maybe why they're using them since the 80s.

Yes because those are the only 2 options.

"The crap interference finish ruined the match" = lowered match rating. The penalty amount could be argued.

If there was all downside and no upside to booking those kind of finishes, you'd think they would avoid them entirely, right? Then why are they used at all in the biggest Puro company on the planet?

Food for thought. The fact that you are debating what I’d “right” for each product is EXACTLY why this feature is needed.

I'm pretty sure it will be add, it change nothing to the gameplay, just a new feature to make the game even better. It could even be something add after the 14, but if it come, it will be before. Adam not gonna only fix bugs during two and half weeks.

It’s there so it won’t be the highest rated segment ever for the company in question.

It doesn’t mean you can’t get a good rating with it if you book it right.

If there was all downside and no upside to booking those kind of finishes, you'd think they would avoid them entirely, right? Then why are they used at all in the biggest Puro company on the planet?

One of my biggest problems is you can't book current day WWE with PG Rated Sports Entertainment, which is clearly supposed to be current day WWE.

Unless I'm misreading it (and that's a possibility because the explanations are incredibly vague) Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber matches will be penalized. That's nuts.

And I shudder to think what will happen if you run two Royal Rumble matches at 60 minutes each when "lengthy matches will tend to lose the audience." All of the best parts of the year are penalized.

But the problem is only the lack of an editor for products. Give me an editor and I love it.

It's not all downside. The downside is in the match grade itself, the upside is protecting the loser and prolonging storylines.

Also, calling NJPW a Puro company at this point feels a little outdated given the massive influx of Sports Entertainment elements into their company.

I hope your right

I'm pretty sure it will be add, it change nothing to the gameplay, just a new feature to make the game even better. It could even be something add after the 14, but if it come, it will be before. Adam not gonna only fix bugs during two and half weeks.

The lack of custom products is kinda bumming me out, I took a company from local to global using a product that isn’t exactly replicated in Tew 2016, I was planning to continue my file in Tew 2020 with an expansion in India as a big goal, but that will go on hold until I can book the company the way i intended too.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Lex Star" data-cite="Lex Star" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47887" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If there was all downside and no upside to booking those kind of finishes, you'd think they would avoid them entirely, right? Then why are they used at all in the biggest Puro company on the planet?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The downside is that it affects the quality of the match - the vast majority of fans would consider a draw, a DQ or a count-out a "non-finish". As someone who has booked wrestling in the past, it frustrates me, but that's the perception.</p><p> </p><p> I've sat and listened to someone talk about how a time limit draw "spoiled the finish" of a match, as if not getting that it <em>was </em>the finish. DQs, count-outs, anything other than a "clean" finish is always seen as a lesser result. So they <em>should </em>be penalised if the fans aren't conditioned to expect that.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> As to why you would use them in spite of all those negatives? Because you don't want one wrestler to be seen as losing clean to another, because at this point in a story a clean finish wouldn't work, because a DQ here will set up a No DQ match at the next show, because one of the wrestlers has refused to lose clean to the other - there are plenty of practical, structural, and narrative reasons for booking these finishes. All of which are different matters to the perception <em>by the audience</em> that they're lesser finishes.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I've mentioned this in other threads, but I think people are massively overstating what the game means when it says you will be penalised for something. It doesn't mean that you <em>can't </em>book that match, or that finish, or that angle, just that it's not the kind of thing fans expect from your company, so they'll be put off by it. </p><p> </p><p> If you want to book it, it'll be a challenge - an analogy in another thread was Iron Man matches in WWE; the entire point of an Iron Man match is to exceed people's expectations of the accepted length of a wrestling match. But you wouldn't just say "WWE fans accept matches up to 60 minutes in length" to accommodate that. You would expect that a 60 minute match on Smackdown between Elias and Baron Corbin would be received horribly, and penalised for being far too long. But book a 60 minute match between Steve Austin and Bret Hart in their primes, and while you'll still be penalised, the redeeming features of the match will work against that, and the match will still be great.</p>

The downside is that it affects the quality of the match - the vast majority of fans would consider a draw, a DQ or a count-out a "non-finish". As someone who has booked wrestling in the past, it frustrates me, but that's the perception.

I've sat and listened to someone talk about how a time limit draw "spoiled the finish" of a match, as if not getting that it was the finish. DQs, count-outs, anything other than a "clean" finish is always seen as a lesser result. So they should be penalised if the fans aren't conditioned to expect that.

As to why you would use them in spite of all those negatives? Because you don't want one wrestler to be seen as losing clean to another, because at this point in a story a clean finish wouldn't work, because a DQ here will set up a No DQ match at the next show, because one of the wrestlers has refused to lose clean to the other - there are plenty of practical, structural, and narrative reasons for booking these finishes. All of which are different matters to the perception by the audience that they're lesser finishes.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I think people are massively overstating what the game means when it says you will be penalised for something. It doesn't mean that you can't book that match, or that finish, or that angle, just that it's not the kind of thing fans expect from your company, so they'll be put off by it.

If you want to book it, it'll be a challenge - an analogy in another thread was Iron Man matches in WWE; the entire point of an Iron Man match is to exceed people's expectations of the accepted length of a wrestling match. But you wouldn't just say "WWE fans accept matches up to 60 minutes in length" to accommodate that. You would expect that a 60 minute match on Smackdown between Elias and Baron Corbin would be received horribly, and penalised for being far too long. But book a 60 minute match between Steve Austin and Bret Hart in their primes, and while you'll still be penalised, the redeeming features of the match will work against that, and the match will still be great.

A lot of people are missing these points. There are even different levels of penalties. If the note doesn’t say “severely” then you can over come it with added bonuses with smart booking. Same applies to angles. I don’t remember reading any product saying that you can not do angles more than 5 minutes. After 5 minutes fans will begin to tune out and you’ll need someone with a high mic rating to neglect those penalties with bonuses.

There are literally tons of bonuses being applied yet people get afraid of one penalty. If you think it will hurt your show grade. Then you can change the angle and match focus ratios.

A lot of people are missing these points. There are even different levels of penalties. If the note doesn’t say “severely” then you can over come it with added bonuses with smart booking. Same applies to angles. I don’t remember reading any product saying that you can not do angles more than 5 minutes. After 5 minutes fans will begin to tune out and you’ll need someone with a high mic rating to neglect those penalties with bonuses.

There are literally tons of bonuses being applied yet people get afraid of one penalty. If you think it will hurt your show grade. Then you can change the angle and match focus ratios.

Fair points. Except we can't change the angle and match focus ratios right now..

yes please

Yes please !!!

I really do not like how Products are done atm. In my opinion, make it optional between custom and pre-set products. So those who want to use them can use them.

But there is a large group of players like myself who like to adjust their product as the years pass in the game.

Add on that companies like WWF and WCW are almost completely different with their products but with the current system, they are exactly the same on TEW20.

Custom promotions are now basically forced to be WWF/WCW lite in 90s databases. When with old custom products they were all different in some ways.

Its not a full deal breaker for me but id love to have that back as made longer games much more enjoyable being able to adjust your product as years pass going from full on crazy edgy attitude to lowering it down slightly as you enter early 2000s

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blake Trask" data-cite="Blake Trask" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47887" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I didn't understand what the match/angle focus options actually meant.<p> </p><p> It would benefit from a ? box or hover option.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This seems to be a common issue. The handbook is great - it's far more detailed than in 2016 - but the ?s that linked to a basic description were a lot easier to use than having to go to the handbook every time and find the right place to look.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blake Trask" data-cite="Blake Trask" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47887" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I didn't understand what the match/angle focus options actually meant.<p> </p><p> It would benefit from a ? box or hover option.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Whilst on any screen if you press the ? In the top right corner it will take you to a portion of the handbook that is relevant to that page. Match and Angle focus I learnt about from this, explains what all the options mean</p>

Yes please !!!

Custom promotions are now basically forced to be WWF/WCW lite in 90s databases. When with old custom products they were all different in some ways.

How so? There are 60+ products in-game, the majority modelled on real promotions over the years, with a fair amount of variance. What's forcing you to make any promotion "WWF/WCW lite"?