[Beta Release] Risky Business(January 1985)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to mention some other promotion settings that stood out:

JCP

Jim Crockett Promotions actual founding year should be 1931. The earliest record I've seen of a JCP promoted event was in Dec. 1933.

JCP should also have the following settings:

No Outsiders

Hotels are organized

Cornette talks about that on his show, as do guys like Flair, Arn, etc.

Also their broadcast quality should be "in house". Crockett had his own production truck (he was one of the early buyers in pro wrestling of something like that. Paid a million for it, iirc). His brother, Jackie Crockett, was one of the production crew.

That said, the production values were...not so good. Definitely lower than WWF. Go semi-pro there.

And merchandising was small time in '85 for JCP. They weren't focusing much on merch until '87 or so, iirc, with the Horseman t-shirts, vitamins, and the wrestling cups with some fast food chain or gas station chain.

AWA

Transport and hotels were organized. TBQH, Verne actually paid for some transport and lodging according to some guys (so too did Crockett and Vince for that matter), but it's probably best to handle those with contracts. Overall, Verne's company just organized the stuff.

Also, I don't think Verne had a strict dress code, for the most part. I very much doubt guys like the Vachons and Dick the Bruiser were fond of wearing suits. Verne and Greg wore suits, as did some of the guys, but I don't think it was a strict rule or anything.

In '85, merchandising was definitely a growing business for AWA. The Remco figures had just come out, so they had action figures before JCP/NWA did (actually, the first Ric Flair figure was in the AWA Remco line due to the whole Pro Wrestling USA deal).

Verne also had an in-house production team (Polish Joe, etc.). Unfortunately, the production values were poorer than WWF. So I'd go semi-pro on that, but in-house for broadcast quality, same as JCP.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Ive played it a lot. It takes some cheating to keep things working. WWF runs out of money very quickly! They were 20 million in debt after a year.

Extremely playable, but like all mods (from what I've noticed) finances are crazy the first three years but after everything pretty much evens out.

I recommend editing finances.

Ive played it a lot. It takes some cheating to keep things working. WWF runs out of money very quickly! They were 20 million in debt after a year.

Extremely playable, but like all mods (from what I've noticed) finances are crazy the first three years but after everything pretty much evens out.

I recommend editing finances.

Would y'all suggest lowering wages or increasing WWF's money? Or is there something else?

This is easily solved by giving the WWF (and NJPW while you are at it since they have the same problem) a monthly event.

Not currently being worked on no. I work too much and barely play the game as it is.

That said, not sure if I ever fixed the data in the download link, but I recommend mass editing every promotion away from the "Fixed" schedule. That was a mess up on my part. I would edit every non-Japanese promotion to TV or Monthly and Japanese promotions to Created Tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jaysin.

Would you have any objections to me working on it a little? Not looking for props or any credit as that my good sir is all yours. Just want to help out as there are not many databases out there from this period. All mid 90s, 2000's...which doesn't interest me.

It's pretty much ready to go. :) So you can have a check. I have updated, pics (using sticker pack and NGO, belts etc) so credit will need to be given to Gazwefc83 for them and then worker stats, broadcasters, events and schedules..etc. :) Still might be some work on pics (it kills me when there are pics missing in terms of immersion), but have covered pretty much everything. Have updated future worker potential and current workers etc. Of course based on my opinion and sad life of loving pro wrestling since 84 :)

Have sent you links to files and if happy to have in your name, let me know. :) Otherwise I guess I will just enjoy playing privately. :) :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a fix to the crazy signing spree every time the game starts? Hundreds of workers get signed to excusive contracts the first month.

So, I don't know if this is exactly the answer, but I know this is also a thing that used to happen on the Thunderverse 2016 conversion that was floating around for 2020 before the actual Thunderverse Rey de Reyes release, so I'll try to explain what I remember from that thread cause I can't seem to find it.

If I'm remembering right it has something to do with minimum roster sizes, and I think the problem is two-fold.

1) The AI likes to have a certain number above the limit to make sure that if people get hurt it still has enough people to put on shows.

2) The number in 2020 is higher than it was in 2016, so sometimes when mods are remade for 2020, if they use the same roster as the 2016 version (or even if they just don't have enough people to satisfy the AI's demands) it'll just hire a bunch of people. And the big players will almost exclusively use written contracts just because they can even if it isn't realistic to the time period.

I might be wrong, but I think this is at least partially correct. I guess you could potentially try padding out the rosters of the big players with PPA contracts and see if that potentially stops the hiring spree? Just like find some jobbers the WWF used at the time and add them there. Find some guys All-Japan took on tour and add them there?

I don't know if it'll work though, I'm just spitballing.

So, I don't know if this is exactly the answer, but I know this is also a thing that used to happen on the Thunderverse 2016 conversion that was floating around for 2020 before the actual Thunderverse Rey de Reyes release, so I'll try to explain what I remember from that thread cause I can't seem to find it.

If I'm remembering right it has something to do with minimum roster sizes, and I think the problem is two-fold.

1) The AI likes to have a certain number above the limit to make sure that if people get hurt it still has enough people to put on shows.

2) The number in 2020 is higher than it was in 2016, so sometimes when mods are remade for 2020, if they use the same roster as the 2016 version (or even if they just don't have enough people to satisfy the AI's demands) it'll just hire a bunch of people. And the big players will almost exclusively use written contracts just because they can even if it isn't realistic to the time period.

I might be wrong, but I think this is at least partially correct. I guess you could potentially try padding out the rosters of the big players with PPA contracts and see if that potentially stops the hiring spree? Just like find some jobbers the WWF used at the time and add them there. Find some guys All-Japan took on tour and add them there?

I don't know if it'll work though, I'm just spitballing.

Because NJPW and AJPW have weight divisions they're usually seeking out more lightweight guys to hire, so I usually turn that off... they still hire a few though.