January 1991 Peaking Tides [Release]

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

<p>So, I basically picked up the torch that JamHead dropped and made hundreds of changes in the last 3 months or so.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

The four biggest chances are <strong>1)</strong> the inclusion of the Broadcaster mod with tons of adjustments, <strong>2)</strong> I divided the eras from 5 to 14 so the transitions are a bit smoother and you don't go from <em>Massively Larger</em> TV ratings to <em>Lower </em>ratings within a week</p><p> </p><p>

End of Golden Era: Jan 91 - Mar 92</p><p>

Transition Period: Apr 92 - Nov 93</p><p>

The Doldrums: Dez 93 - Aug 95</p><p>

Nitro Era: Sep 95 - Jun 96 </p><p>

NWO Era: Aug 96 - Oct 97</p><p>

Montreal Era: Nov 97 - Mar 98</p><p>

Attitude Era: Apr 98 - Dez 98</p><p>

Peak Attitude: Jan 99 - Mar 00</p><p>

Cooling Off: Apr 00 - Apr 01</p><p>

Invasion Era: May 01 - Dez 01</p><p>

Post Invasion: Jan 02 - Dez 04</p><p>

Ruthless Aggression: Jan 05 - Jun 07</p><p>

Modern Era: Jul 07 - Jan 14</p><p>

Network Era: Feb 14 - Dez 20</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>3)</strong> The partnership between WCW and NJPW that started in mid/late December 1990 (it took numerous attempts to fine-tune this thing cause otherwise the companies end that partnership within the first week of the game) and <strong>4)</strong> I adjusted the popularity in the US to a great deal (before Bobby Eaton and Ricky Morton were not among the Top 100 wrestlers in the US)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

But before I'm gonna post a link I wanna say this: Although it was already a great mod for TEW 2016, although JamHead already did some great work, and despite the numerous changes I've made ... my feeling is that this mod -- while totally playable -- is still nowhere near complete.</p><p> </p><p>

So if there's anyone out there with more early 90s knowledge about Japanese, Mexican and British wrestling who can help or who wants to pick up where I left off, they're more than welcome to do so.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>1991 - Peaking Tides 0.9.00</strong></span></span></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="johnal881" data-cite="johnal881" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49480" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As far as I know Justintxyank 1991 mod is a freeware.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm not Yank. His 2016 is freeware. My 2020 is not and I've stated as such before. I do not want my work posted here. You're more than welcome to take Yank's and start from scratch. There are also hidden easter eggs in my data that I'll know if it's my work or not.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="FindMyStapler" data-cite="FindMyStapler" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49480" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Are you going to call the cops on your neighbors for having their family over for Thanksgiving too?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Because respecting people and their work clearly shouldn't matter /s</p><p> </p><p> By all means, you can create your own mod and make it freeware so everyone can use it without permission. Jam didn't make his freeware, so no one should be building off of it like that. Even if I wouldn't have said anything this was still posted on Jam's mod post, he would have seen and said the same eventually(which he did)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ConcutioCaelum" data-cite="ConcutioCaelum" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49480" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because respecting people and their work clearly shouldn't matter /s<p> </p><p> By all means, you can create your own mod and make it freeware so everyone can use it without permission. Jam didn't make his freeware, so no one should be building off of it like that. Even if I wouldn't have said anything this was still posted on Jam's mod post, he would have seen and said the same eventually(which he did)</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Usually, when someone makes their mod freeware it's with the caveat that any resulting mods are freeware also. This community desperately needs to reevaluate their attitude toward building on each other's work.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dawson41" data-cite="Dawson41" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49480" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So, I basically picked up the torch that JamHead dropped and made hundreds of changes in the last 3 months or so.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> The four biggest chances are <strong>1)</strong> the inclusion of the Broadcaster mod with tons of adjustments, <strong>2)</strong> I divided the eras from 5 to 14 so the transitions are a bit smoother and you don't go from <em>Massively Larger</em> TV ratings to <em>Lower </em>ratings within a week</p><p> </p><p> End of Golden Era: Jan 91 - Mar 92</p><p> Transition Period: Apr 92 - Nov 93</p><p> The Doldrums: Dez 93 - Aug 95</p><p> Nitro Era: Sep 95 - Jun 96 </p><p> NWO Era: Aug 96 - Oct 97</p><p> Montreal Era: Nov 97 - Mar 98</p><p> Attitude Era: Apr 98 - Dez 98</p><p> Peak Attitude: Jan 99 - Mar 00</p><p> Cooling Off: Apr 00 - Apr 01</p><p> Invasion Era: May 01 - Dez 01</p><p> Post Invasion: Jan 02 - Dez 04</p><p> Ruthless Aggression: Jan 05 - Jun 07</p><p> Modern Era: Jul 07 - Jan 14</p><p> Network Era: Feb 14 - Dez 20</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <strong>3)</strong> The partnership between WCW and NJPW that started in mid/late December 1990 (it took numerous attempts to fine-tune this thing cause otherwise the companies end that partnership within the first week of the game) and <strong>4)</strong> I adjusted the popularity in the US to a great deal (before Bobby Eaton and Ricky Morton were not among the Top 100 wrestlers in the US)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> But before I'm gonna post a link I wanna say this: Although it was already a great mod for TEW 2016, although JamHead already did some great work, and despite the numerous changes I've made ... my feeling is that this mod -- while totally playable -- is still nowhere near complete.</p><p> </p><p> So if there's anyone out there with more early 90s knowledge about Japanese, Mexican and British wrestling who can help or who wants to pick up where I left off, they're more than welcome to do so.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>1991 - Peaking Tides 0.9.00</strong></span></span></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have removed your link for violating forum policy on using other creators work without their permission.</p>

Usually, when someone makes their mod freeware it's with the caveat that any resulting mods are freeware also. This community desperately needs to reevaluate their attitude toward building on each other's work.

This was my thought, how can you take the work somebody else built from scratch and listed as freeware, change a few things here and there and then say its no-longer freeware. Surely if you decide to build on somebodies existing work that they deem freeware, you are forfeiting the right to then withhold it.

If you want your work to be non-freeware, don't use somebodies else's freeware mod as a base.

I have removed your link for violating forum policy on using other creators work without their permission.

Look around. These forums are nowhere near what TEW2016 were drawing months after its original release.

Where are the modders that were around during 2016? They’ve disappeared because let’s face it, this game is not all that great.

And yet here you have people who grab the brass ring and are trying to polish a turd into something playing and enjoyable and a bunch of self righteous “it’s my mod, I put Easter eggs in it, you can’t mod MY mod” twats chime in.

Don’t get me started on the moderators who clearly lack the foresight to see they are destroying the franchise of TEW with this stupid “rule”. But hey, you want to end the the franchise because no one wants to play, so be it.

It’s time to grow up children.

Look around. These forums are nowhere near what TEW2016 were drawing months after its original release.

Where are the modders that were around during 2016? They’ve disappeared because let’s face it, this game is not all that great.

And yet here you have people who grab the brass ring and are trying to polish a turd into something playing and enjoyable and a bunch of self righteous “it’s my mod, I put Easter eggs in it, you can’t mod MY mod” twats chime in.

Don’t get me started on the moderators who clearly lack the foresight to see they are destroying the franchise of TEW with this stupid “rule”. But hey, you want to end the the franchise because no one wants to play, so be it.

It’s time to grow up children.

Go work on a mod yourself for 2 months then chime back in with "Well, I'll let this go so anyone can tweak 5 things and claim ownership of it." We'll wait. Modding is pure hell, and God-bless the ones that are actually putting in the work on this very lousy version of the game. Taking other people's work and claiming it as your own is the second-worst thing the internet has ever brought about. It's an epidemic. You do work. You get the credit. Not I'm going to steal this and slap my name on it so it's mine.

Go work on a mod yourself for 2 months then chime back in with "Well, I'll let this go so anyone can tweak 5 things and claim ownership of it." We'll wait. Modding is pure hell, and God-bless the ones that are actually putting in the work on this very lousy version of the game. Taking other people's work and claiming it as your own is the second-worst thing the internet has ever brought about. It's an epidemic. You do work. You get the credit. Not I'm going to steal this and slap my name on it so it's mine.

You do realise that's all JamHead did? Took took an existing mod, converted it, made some tweaks, slapped his name on it, claimed ownership, then made it non-freeware. Which goes against everything the original creator stood for when he made all of his mods from scratch and released them all as freeware.

I just wanna drop in with my five cents.

While people just outright grabbing other people's stuff, and not crediting them is very obviously bad, and should be heavily frowned upon... What's wrong with people taking something, reworking it, giving credit where credit is due (preferably in the title)

Laxing the policy like that, and making it easier to get started on modding, would likely help increase the frequency that mods get released at.

Also, while I'm at it. in an instance like here where. while it was nice of Jamhead to convert the mod to 2020. It's still a converted mod from 2016. And according to people here, the original version was freeware... It just really seems shakey, that's all I'm saying.

Again, not trying to rile up any flames or anything. Just saying

Aaaaaand, what about "abandowares"? Like in the case of this mod? The creator gave up on continuing working on it, shouldn't it be acceptable to someone else pick it up even if the owner wasn't asked? Assuming he gets credited and if he gets back the other mod is just like a fork or something, idk.

This discussion is happening in the thread that Jamhead created. Dawson literally credits him. He's not trying to claim anyone's work as his own, he's just posting the updates he made to an abandoned and half-finished mod conversion. How could this possibly be considered a bad thing?

On the topic of the forum rule about mod ownership, the rule was brought in place because of years of infighting over mods/mod ownership. JamHead received permission from justtxyank to use their base on this mod as confirmed in the first few posts of this thread. I've seen a few people comment justtxyank's mod is freeware here but the last release thread on GDS I can see (here) has the mod as protected use which is covered by rule 2 on the forum - I've had a look through and I can't see any posts from justtxyank on GDS that have their stance on any mods they release changing to be freeware so apologies from myself if it's been stated somewhere else that I've not seen.

In this case, the permission stops with JamHead's mod and anything that has been released without the permission from JamHead isn't allowed by GDS board rules. The rules in place are designed to be as fair to everyone as possible whilst also still protecting mod makers if they do not wish for an adapted copy of their work to be released without their say so. I'm happy to discuss this issue or any other issues people have with the board rules with anyone if they'd like, my inbox and Discord is open to all.

On the topic of the forum rule about mod ownership, the rule was brought in place because of years of infighting over mods/mod ownership. JamHead received permission from justtxyank to use their base on this mod as confirmed in the first few posts of this thread. I've seen a few people comment justtxyank's mod is freeware here but the last release thread on GDS I can see (here) has the mod as protected use which is covered by rule 2 on the forum - I've had a look through and I can't see any posts from justtxyank on GDS that have their stance on any mods they release changing to be freeware so apologies from myself if it's been stated somewhere else that I've not seen.

In this case, the permission stops with JamHead's mod and anything that has been released without the permission from JamHead isn't allowed by GDS board rules. The rules in place are designed to be as fair to everyone as possible whilst also still protecting mod makers if they do not wish for an adapted copy of their work to be released without their say so. I'm happy to discuss this issue or any other issues people have with the board rules with anyone if they'd like, my inbox and Discord is open to all.

For what it's worth:

OGPttQ6.jpg

I get the reason behind the rules. I think they're good to discourage people trying to take credit for someone else's work (although how often does this really happen? the community seems pretty capable of self-policing) and particularly to help avoid duplicating efforts between modders. I don't think Dawson really violated the spirit of those rules.

I don't know what went down with Jamhead that soured him on posting the mod. But, like someone else said, unless he's still working on it and posting it elsewhere, I think whatever changes he made to his freeware-converted database should be considered "abandonware." People posting improvements -- with full credit given -- should be encouraged, as long as they're not a duplication of work the originating modder was already doing. It feels silly and petty to be so protective about this data. The community should be working together to build up a good array of mods for what has proven to be a challenging release of TEW. I'm not sure what good it does the community to allow users to hoard their efforts.

You do realise that's all JamHead did? Took took an existing mod, converted it, made some tweaks, slapped his name on it, claimed ownership, then made it non-freeware. Which goes against everything the original creator stood for when he made all of his mods from scratch and released them all as freeware.

We're talking about 2 different things. I was responding to the usual "Whaaaa...every mod should be freeware." post that appears about twice a month in the mod section. I never downloaded Jam's mod so I can't judge whether it was half, quarter, or fully fleshed out, but the 2016 mod was awesome without needing any real help besides doing the massive list of conversion stuff this version of the game added. I don't know why he pulled it, and frankly, as wretched as 2020 is, I wouldn't be playing it anyway.

If the 2016 version truly is freeware, then problem solved as anyone can convert it and do all the work on it. But it should be THEIR work. I mean it only took me and another person 2 months of about 4 hours a day to fix the 1985 mod for a personal game (and really only doing the US and some Canada work) so anyone should be willing to do that instead of whining that every mod should be freeware, right, everyone who whines about it constantly (not talking about you Gaz)?

I marvel at the great work you do super-fast. I just wish the game rewarded you for all your hard work and everyone else who makes mods for this lame version.