How is perception calculated / How does it work

I am a big advocate of the perception over push feature but it seems to work different from how I assumed it would.

Does anyone know how a workers perception is calculated? I don't want to game the game but a rough idea would be nice.

I created my own fed and crowned my first champion on my first show and his perception was......Unimportant. Admittedly his pop isn't great, but I didn't think the perception feature was going to be weighted too much on pop, but rather how people are booked. He won the title beating 9 other men in a Gauntlet match, I would have thought that's grounds for fans to think "Wow, this guy's a big deal".

Most of the guys I want to push (young enough to build the future of the company around) are at Unimportant, so I want them to be in matches and angles, but I keep getting the "So and so is being over-used" note.

Can anyone advise a little on perception and how to push?

<p>It's in the handbook.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Perception is calculated as follows. First the worker's popularity rating is created. This is the average of their popularity in the company's home region and any other region in which the company has 5 or more popularity AND is not more than 6 points of popularity less than that of the home region. (In other words, it's basically all the regions of current importance to the company.)<p> </p><p> This score is then modified by their current momentum - high momentum increases it (up to 20% for white hot), low momentum lowers it (up to 25% for ice cold.)</p><p> </p><p> Secondly, the company's popularity is created; this uses exactly the same calculation method as the worker's version.</p><p> </p><p> If the worker's rating is greater than the company rating +6 they are a Major Star; greater than or equal to 90% of the company rating they are a Star; 75% or more = Well Known, 50% or more = Recognisable, otherwise Unknown.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Your new champion isn't going to get much momentum from a single win, so that plus low pop relative to your company is the problem.</p><p> </p><p> You can still use unimportant workers in matches and angles; just keep them short if you want to avoid that note.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Donners" data-cite="Donners" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's in the handbook.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Your new champion isn't going to get much momentum from a single win, so that plus low pop relative to your company is the problem.</p><p> </p><p> You can still use unimportant workers in matches and angles; just keep them short if you want to avoid that note.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks, I should have checked the handbook really.</p><p> So It's OK to keep this guy as champ (not that I was planning to anyway due to the storyline), just keep giving him wins / put him in angles to build him up and rise in perception?</p><p> </p><p> It just seems odd having a roster of 23 and only about 10 of them AREN'T unimportant. (I'm playing a British Fed so cheap, high pop guys are hard to come by).</p>

This overused note is so dumb... In New Japan Okada, Naito, Suzuki always team with lesser guys of their stables in the tour show main events. But when you make these matches less than 20 minutes you always get penalized for match being too short so it makes zero sense in the end.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="redhilleagle" data-cite="redhilleagle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So It's OK to keep this guy as champ (not that I was planning to anyway due to the storyline), just keep giving him wins / put him in angles to build him up and rise in perception?<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yep. He'll gain in pop from appearing and getting wins (particularly if he beats people with more pop than him); add that to the momentum he gets from a series of wins and he should rise fairly quickly.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gockelinho" data-cite="Gockelinho" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This overused note is so dumb... In New Japan Okada, Naito, Suzuki always team with lesser guys of their stables in the tour show main events. But when you make these matches less than 20 minutes you always get penalized for match being too short so it makes zero sense in the end.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> How many 4v4 throwaway matches actually go 20 minutes though? The penalty will never hurt you since tour shows have an incredible buffer before you lose popularity due to a bad show. It’s specifically designed so that you can have lesser workers on top without killing the company.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gockelinho" data-cite="Gockelinho" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This overused note is so dumb... In New Japan Okada, Naito, Suzuki always team with lesser guys of their stables in the tour show main events. But when you make these matches less than 20 minutes you always get penalized for match being too short so it makes zero sense in the end.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That is not correct at all.</p><p> The matches shorter than 20 min do get a ratings cap as in they can't reach a higher grade than (for example) 90. They do however not get lowered in their grades.</p><p> If the overuse note bothers you, you can actually disable worker overuse in the preferences.</p>

How many 4v4 throwaway matches actually go 20 minutes though? The penalty will never hurt you since tour shows have an incredible buffer before you lose popularity due to a bad show. It’s specifically designed so that you can have lesser workers on top without killing the company.

Ofc they don't... New Japan Cup first round matches don't go 20 minutes as well and I got penalized for letting Okada beat Chase Owens in 9 minutes and for exampl Moxley vs. Juice Robinson 18 minutes as well, so the game always wants 20 minutes on literally every match that isn't undercarders.

That is not correct at all.

The matches shorter than 20 min do get a ratings cap as in they can't reach a higher grade than (for example) 90. They do however not get lowered in their grades.

If the overuse note bothers you, you can actually disable worker overuse in the preferences.

I can't speak for Gockelinho, but it didn't bother me too much, unless it dealt me penalties. I guess Perception is still pretty much based on pop, which I didn't think would be the case. It's not an issue, I think in the long run as my company grows and as my workers grow it will be a brilliant addition to the game.

The matches shorter than 20 min do get a ratings cap as in they can't reach a higher grade than (for example) 90. They do however not get lowered in their grades.

If the overuse note bothers you, you can actually disable worker overuse in the preferences.

I already disabled the crowd stuff as it doesn't make sense at all with New Japan booking so I don't want to disable too much stuff and if you tell me it doesn't matter too much I don't care tbh I just felt you get penalized for no reason.

Ofc they don't... New Japan Cup first round matches don't go 20 minutes as well and I got penalized for letting Okada beat Chase Owens in 9 minutes and for exampl Moxley vs. Juice Robinson 18 minutes as well, so the game always wants 20 minutes on literally every match that isn't undercarders.

Was Okada/Owens the main event? If not, does it matter that you got penalised?

If wish the game would hide these penalties. I agree with them being there, but the way they're presented is scaring people into thinking they can't book they way they want, or even book in a normal fashion.

Was Okada/Owens the main event? If not, does it matter that you got penalised?

If wish the game would hide these penalties. I agree with them being there, but the way they're presented is scaring people into thinking they can't book they way they want, or even book in a normal fashion.

I agree with the 2nd half. Not every match has to have a main event rating. Speaking for myself, I'll watch most matches, but the ones that get me excited are when it's 2 top guys facing off. An essentially throw away 3v3 match shouldn't draw a large rating because it's a star with 2 underneath guys. We're not talking Shield v Wyatts when both were hot.

That being said, if the match result doesn't lead to a loss of popularity, I don't think it should stop your from booking it. The match lengths are there to cap the rating of non main events, in my mind. You're not gonna have 2 job guys going 20 minutes. The chances of the 2 job guys giving you a 100 rating is near impossible, but if you had them go 15 minutes for some reason and they did get a 100 rating, the cap would push it to whatever the cap is, I understand it. So say it's 90, it would lower the rating 10 points. But if the match scored a 50, it wouldn't lower it to 40, it would remain a 50.

You're a "big advocate" but have no idea how it works? :o

I like the new calculations too but it's been mentioned before it's quite surreal for the lowest companies, who eventually are stuck with a roster full of "stars" that expect to be on any show, yet need to be in long matches to maintain their momentum.

Not a fan of forced penalties to "fix" your perception. I'd rather things get fixed organically. Workers' matches don't suddenly start sucking because they're too popular. Doesn't make sense.

Brother people have told you time and time again it’s the mod you’re using, combined with the product and settings you’re using.

In all honestly there’s not one real world mod ready for TEW 2020 just yet. There’s a lot of errors and kinks that need to be worked out before they’re ready for prime time.

In your settings, turn off the worker overuse penalties and book your matches within your product. You can also turn off crowd burnout because it seemed like you were having trouble with that as well in a previous post.

I’d recommended practicing in the default data with BHOTWG or another Japanese promotion that runs a similar model to NJPW. The default data will give you a clear indication on how to Properly book the game and get you ready for a true real world mod when they’re ready.

Well I think that there's also a thing in some performance products that says that important matches are expected to be long (which is a different note from the length cap note). And that seems to be 20 minutes and "important" seems to mean that anyone perceived as a star is in the match. Basically meaning that any match involving stars and unimportant/recognised workers is either going to ding the match for not being long enough for the importance of the match or ding your card for over-using the unknown workers in that match.

But like people have been saying the dings probably aren't very big so its not worth getting too worried about it.

<p>The problem is not the ratings cap. That makes a lot of sense. Most fans watching that product indeed expect longer matches and will rate the shorter ones a couple of % lower than they should technically be. An all-out note will probably mitigate that penalty already so no harm there.</p><p> </p><p>

The problem is that it's tied to perception and not tied to the product. It's just weird that somehow fans put a worker on a shortlist for 20-min matches after a win, and when he loses again they're once again fine with shorter matches. This shouldn't just change back and forth overnight.</p><p> </p><p>

Again: it's a small penalty people.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The problem is not the ratings cap. That makes a lot of sense. Most fans watching that product indeed expect longer matches and will rate the shorter ones a couple of % lower than they should technically be. An all-out note will probably mitigate that penalty already so no harm there.<p> </p><p> The problem is that it's tied to perception and not tied to the product. It's just weird that somehow fans put a worker on a shortlist for 20-min matches after a win, and when he loses again they're once again fine with shorter matches. This shouldn't just change back and forth overnight.</p><p> </p><p> Again: it's a small penalty people.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I’ve found that once they’re firmly established, it’s hard for them to lose their major star spot unless they start really losing every week and their momentum is in the toilet </p><p> </p><p> I have 6 major stars in my SWF game right now </p><p> </p><p> Rocky golden </p><p> Remo </p><p> Angry Gilmore </p><p> Mikey Lau </p><p> Randy Unleashed </p><p> Scythe </p><p> </p><p> All of these guys I’ve been pushing pretty hard except Randy. I think the fans just took to him because even after 3 PPV losses in a row, he’s still a major star. </p><p> </p><p> I feature these 6 guys prominently. If they lose, it’s by DQ, count out or some other shenanigans. If they lose clean, it’s to one of the other 5 guys. </p><p> </p><p> Once you start learning your roster and what your fans want, it’s easy to establish major stars and keep that in that position. </p><p> </p><p> I’m in July now and I’ve had these 6 major stars since mid March in game</p>

I meant when they lose pop; I know you can protect them when losing. But it's not about them losing pop, it's about them having a 55 match one week and having 53 the next week for the exact same match (hypothetical situation people, in case we presume it's the exact same match, of course there's too much variance). Either way they're having (albeit slightly) worse matches because of their perception, which makes no sense.

Again: not a major problem due to the nature of the penalty, but a logical inconsistency.

I meant when they lose pop; I know you can protect them when losing. But it's not about them losing pop, it's about them having a 55 match one week and having 53 the next week for the exact same match (hypothetical situation people, in case we presume it's the exact same match, of course there's too much variance). Either way they're having (albeit slightly) worse matches because of their perception, which makes no sense.

Again: not a major problem due to the nature of the penalty, but a logical inconsistency.

It's not logical, it's emotional.

Two guys had a short match that gave 55% satisfaction. One won and went up in the fan's estimation.. He impressed. He grabbed their attention. Next week he has another 6 minute match and... slightly disappointing. We want to see more from him now.

Or the guy loses a 20 minute match. Good match, but I guess he's not going to be a top contender any time soon. Next week he goes 20 again... but we know he's not going to be a top contender, so who cares? He'll probably just lose. Time to check my phone.

So I can buy it. I agree it shouldn't be quick, but if a guy's on the fringe, a key win or loss can change a few hearts and minds. Enough for a 5% swing.

Sorry guys but you just interpretate way too much into it, it's unfortunately just the truth that Ryland codes in some weirdass language so there are certain limits it seems and one probably is that you just throw some numbers out there in these calculations, combined with some randomizing effect.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gockelinho" data-cite="Gockelinho" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry guys but you just interpretate way too much into it, it's unfortunately just the truth that Ryland codes in some weirdass language so there are certain limits it seems and one probably is that you just throw some numbers out there in these calculations, combined with some randomizing effect.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You seriously need to try running a game in the default database that the system is built around before saying things like this. </p><p> </p><p> The mods are all converts from a game designed years ago, they're not really ready yet. I understand that you may want to run real world mods, but wait until the mod makers have time to properly balance around a completely new engine before writing the game off based on them, especially when you yourself don't have a total grasp of the mechanics and other players have shown that good results are possible once you do.</p>

Sorry guys but you just interpretate way too much into it, it's unfortunately just the truth that Ryland codes in some weirdass language so there are certain limits it seems and one probably is that you just throw some numbers out there in these calculations, combined with some randomizing effect.

We’re not interpreting anything too much. This is how the game is meant to operate. You’re not willing to learn the mechanics, thats your problem, not ours.

I promise that one of us could take your save game and book a 90-99 rated show on our first try. Because we’ve learned the mechanics and we know how to properly book a show within the framework of the game.

You’re not willing to learn then that’s your problem, mate. We’ve all tried to lend you a helping hand and you’re too hardheaded to take any advice. Good luck to you.

Man, some of you guys just freak out WAY too much about every single little penalty, hey.

Adam clearly said YEARS ago about TEW that you can’t avoid every penalty and you shouldn’t play to try and avoid every penalty. You can still get an extremely good show rating by hitting a good main event, a couple of good angles and the rest of your show is utter, utter tripe (even more so know with some of the match and angle focuses!).

The Midcard is really your “sandbox” where you can pretty much do whatever you like and not worry about penalties. Stop losing your minds over stuff like angle and match caps that may not even make a difference to anything.