Is NJPW in trouble

EnforcerM

I cancelled my NJPW sub when they started canceling shows due to COVID, and now they've gone three months without running a single show. Sub numbers have bottomed out from what I'm understanding, as there is no new content to be seen anywhere. WWE and AEW, meanwhile, are running fairly normal. I love NJPW and miss watching it, can't stand American product, but now I'm worried we won't have NJPW much longer. I'm not an expert, though.

Anyone else have something they might know about business or NJPW to add to this? The wrestlers have expressed that it would be shameful if NJPW ran any shows at all during the entirety of the COVID pandemic... which will keep going probably for another 18 months minimum. I really hope they don't go under, but I can't help but feel that they're going so long without running any shows that their momentum is going to be kaput and they won't be able to make the money they need to stay solvent. Are these fears justified, or does NJPW have enough saved to go six months or a year without running a single show?

<p>Whoa, sub numbers haven't changed? I'm actually beyond shocked by that given the lack of content. Sounds like the extra WrestleKingdom event may have set them up well enough to survive the closure. Pretty glad to hear that they are still in the black. Times like this I'm glad NJPW is not publicly held, that's for sure.</p><p> </p><p>

Thanks for the link to that. Here's hoping that June will see NJPW return to some sort of event broadcasting. I do miss it in these hard times. Also glad they'll be safe upon reopening.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="EnforcerM" data-cite="EnforcerM" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50456" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I cancelled my NJPW sub when they started canceling shows due to COVID, and now they've gone three months without running a single show. Sub numbers have bottomed out from what I'm understanding, as there is no new content to be seen anywhere. WWE and AEW, meanwhile, are running fairly normal. I love NJPW and miss watching it, can't stand American product, but now I'm worried we won't have NJPW much longer. I'm not an expert, though.<p> </p><p> Anyone else have something they might know about business or NJPW to add to this? The wrestlers have expressed that it would be shameful if NJPW ran any shows at all during the entirety of the COVID pandemic... which will keep going probably for another 18 months minimum. I really hope they don't go under, but I can't help but feel that they're going so long without running any shows that their momentum is going to be kaput and they won't be able to make the money they need to stay solvent. Are these fears justified, or does NJPW have enough saved to go six months or a year without running a single show?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Your fears are not justified. BushiRoad is very well capitalized. Go look at their numbers (it's a publicly traded company on the NIKKEI) before you panic. Their core businesses are still producing revenue and NJPW (and STARDOM) were never expected to be moneyspinners.</p>

Your fears are not justified. BushiRoad is very well capitalized. Go look at their numbers (it's a publicly traded company on the NIKKEI) before you panic. Their core businesses are still producing revenue and NJPW (and STARDOM) were never expected to be moneyspinners.

They're great advertising ventures that have a great reach to the Japanese audience for minimal cost. And looking at the way they've handled it, you can't help but think that company is run by incredibly intelligent people. I have nothing but faith in them. You literally can't handle this better than they did. Meanwhile, greed monkies are buying 'Fight Island" and trademarking "UFSea". :rolleyes:

Keep your NJPW World subscription if you don't want them to go under. If you can afford it, of course.

I haven't touched the site for quite a while, but they're still getting my money each month.

I'm doing that with Stardom and I don't even watch the back catalogue. It doesn't cost much anyway.

<p>They have been doing english commentary dubs of older matches lately. So that has been keeping me coming back. I really wish they would just dub classic full shows in english to view tho.</p><p> </p><p>

Also if you haven’t yet watched the movie My Dad is A Heel Wrestler staring some of njpw roster it’s a good watch and its in the njpw world.</p>

They're great advertising ventures that have a great reach to the Japanese audience for minimal cost. And looking at the way they've handled it, you can't help but think that company is run by incredibly intelligent people. I have nothing but faith in them. You literally can't handle this better than they did. Meanwhile, greed monkies are buying 'Fight Island" and trademarking "UFSea". :rolleyes:

Exactly! It's a very different culture. Their companies aren't solely predicated on profit. The NIKKEI isn't going to frown on them for holding cash in reserve instead of chasing some rainbow. Investing in making their existing content more accessible (via dubbing in multiple languages) was an excellent use of time and resources over the last several months.

<p>They have been turning a profit for several years now, business has definitely been better the last five years compared to the five years before that so I wouldn't worry about their financial condition.</p><p> </p><p>

New Japan closed down operations by choice, too. They weren't forced but they felt the safety of the wrestlers was paramount so they decided to treat themselves as though as they were no different to baseball or football. Until the measures in place to return safely and properly they're going to hold fire.</p><p> </p><p>

Empty arena sports matches are returning to Japan in mid-June. I would expect NJPW to return in some condition or another during July or they may well just return with a modified version of the G1 Climax in August.</p><p> </p><p>

But there's nothing to worry about, they're in very good shape.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>New Japan is one of the only Japanese wrestling companies I don't worry about.</p><p> </p><p>

They are a very well run company. I knew that they wouldn't run shows for safty reasons. It was probably good for the boys to get a few months off as well. Rest up & heal any nagging injuries. </p><p> </p><p>

If anything, this time off will help the company.</p><p> </p><p>

Gave them time to think up new directions to take the company, as well as rest up the talent.</p><p> </p><p>

Happy they are running again though, felt like forever!</p>