What do you do to make your game ‘realistic’?

What do you all do to make your game ‘realistic’? For example, when playing a real world mod I’ll follow the booking that happened IRL for at least the first month to replicate the ‘settling in phase’ when someone starts a job in reality, meaning I’m not only taking over from a real point in history but am able to sit back and watch the current plan unfold and plan my own adjustments and improvements.

What do you do in-game to make the whole experience feel more realistic, especially with RW mods?

Do you play theme music? Create entrance specific angles for each wrestler? Do you only hire wrestlers that worked in the company IRL? Would love to hear your ideas and things that work for you!

I'm having this issue with my WCW 1996 game. I added DiBiase, nWo Sting, Syxx, and The Giant to the nWo, all by Fall Brawl. I'm hiring people I associate with WCW, such as Roddy Piper, Wrath, and even Lenny Lane.

On the other hand, I want more people to defend WCW. Not Piper, people who would actually care about the Honor and prestige of World Championship Wrestling. So I brought back Ricky Steamboat to challenge Hogan at Starrcade 1996 instead of Piper. Not that I don't love Piper or don't want to use him, but because he has very little connection to WCW at the time.

I also plan on bringing in Bret Hart at the end of Starrcade, but again, he has no connection to the company. Like Piper, he just wants to wrestle Hogan.

Echoing what someone above said, I push people how I want to push them. If the fans like someone I dislike, or dislike someone I like, we're going to have some problems because I won't cave.

I pair people on things like "looks" as long as they don't have bad chemistry. I put people in stables "just because they're from the same root company before I hired them" or "because they have a near-enough look".

As a Great Lakes power, my first expansions aren't to boring Mexico and Canada. Boring. I go straight to UK and Japan where the fun is.

When doing real life or history mods, I do my best to remain as canon, in context, as much as possible. Sometimes, I will do what I would've done. As Gagne in 1984, put that belt on Hogan, let him keep his Japan money - and if he goes to WWE, blast him for "betraying the title and the fans". He won't be able to be a face in WWE, but "Hulkamania" can run wild in AWA - and Heenen, Bockwinkel, and others are already his foils. He just needs a good Iron Sheik or something.

Or, as WCW, I push Faces of Fear, Public Enemy, and Harlem Heat as the top 3 teams.

I have WCW launch an NWO Brand Split as Thunder, with champs on both rosters. The Draft sees JJ Dillon draft Hall and Nash to spite Hogan, who in return, drafts Sting and Luger. Krispen Wah, Chris Jericho, Eddie - top of the card. Kanyon and Wrath feud with Faces of Fear. Goldberg has short feuds with Wrath, Bam Bam, Steiner, one at a time - not all at once with weird "just too much" overbooked matches.

I like to stick to context but make wiser decisions.

Instead of David Arquette, we bring in Kevin Randleman and send him into the PRIDE Grand Prix as WCW World Champion. He goes on a tear, loses to Fedor, and Fedor is proclaimed WCW World Champion and has 30 days to defend it - he's stripped of the gold, and this sets up a tournament. Hulk Hogan doesn't put over jobbers, but he also doesn't get the belt again. Instead, on Thunder, Hogan comes out and saves Sting and Luger from NWO, and the 3 finally join forces and save the day. NWO splits up, Brand Split remains.

I have Post-Kick Bret Hart work one more match against Goldberg - this time, he locks in the Sharpshooter, Goldberg has no place to go. Goldberg doesn't tap. Bret Cranks out - strains himself and his concussion, and collapses. The ref calls the match, Bret is stretchered out, and CTE is addressed in-canon, Goldberg is fined, cuts his "I did my job!" promo.

Other things I do, are make sure wrestlers have the negative traits they need to either be a pain backstage, or bad at certain main event match types, or something else. I make sure their stats line up in a way that they're not "too good".

I'm having this issue with my WCW 1996 game. I added DiBiase, nWo Sting, Syxx, and The Giant to the nWo, all by Fall Brawl. I'm hiring people I associate with WCW, such as Roddy Piper, Wrath, and even Lenny Lane.

On the other hand, I want more people to defend WCW. Not Piper, people who would actually care about the Honor and prestige of World Championship Wrestling. So I brought back Ricky Steamboat to challenge Hogan at Starrcade 1996 instead of Piper. Not that I don't love Piper or don't want to use him, but because he has very little connection to WCW at the time.

I also plan on bringing in Bret Hart at the end of Starrcade, but again, he has no connection to the company. Like Piper, he just wants to wrestle Hogan.

I love this plan with Steamboat.

script out my segments in librewriter like a real show. write out the promos, the matches and results. the commentary.

i should do a dynasty some day.

Wow this is so interesting. Does it add to your immersion? Does it mean you slow down and do everything in more detail? Would love to hear more or see a screenshot if you don't mind sharing?

Wow this is so interesting. Does it add to your immersion? Does it mean you slow down and do everything in more detail? Would love to hear more or see a screenshot if you don't mind sharing?

Yeah. It forces me to slow down and actually plan storylines and angles instead of just gaming for a score.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3jNWsjdlGleVtEKJZHrv6z_9-S8GuOw/view?usp=sharing

is an example i did just today. instead of a normal Promo - Show Open angle that i have, i wrote out the whole thing with the authority making a match for a #1 contender.

i try to do this for at least one angle and one match per show.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mitsukaikira" data-cite="mitsukaikira" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51031" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah. It forces me to slow down and actually plan storylines and angles instead of just gaming for a score.<p> </p><p> <a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3jNWsjdlGleVtEKJZHrv6z_9-S8GuOw/view?usp=sharing" rel="external nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3jNWsjdlGleVtEKJZHrv6z_9-S8GuOw/view?usp=sharing</a></p><p> </p><p> is an example i did just today. instead of a normal Promo - Show Open angle that i have, i wrote out the whole thing with the authority making a match for a #1 contender.</p><p> </p><p> i try to do this for at least one angle and one match per show.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This is great. I reckon you’ve totally changed the way I’m gonna play the game there. Thanks so much for sharing!</p>

This is why this forum is so great, because I thought I was the only one. I'm an extrusion operator so I make medical tubing. I often just sit at my machine and type promos on my phone in OneNote. I've done it for years. It could be absolutely anything. Sometimes I don't even know when the promo will happen or even who will deliver it! I can fill in the story around it through the promo.

For example, yesterday I thought about how I could debut Warrior in my WCW 1996 game. I haven't decided if it's something I want to do yet, but I gave it some thought. Within one promo, WCW President Roddy Piper discussed:

* Hogan screwing Flair, Luger, Steamboat, and Bret Hart out of the title

* Ducking Piper when he challenged him for an upcoming nWo PPV

* Came up with some crazy rule about Sting who, as a free agent, can't be booked by WCW, therefore can only be granted the match with Hogan by Hogan and nWo President Eric Bischoff

* Booked Piper vs. Curt Hennig for the aforementioned nWo PPV

I don't even know if I want Warrior to debut, but the rest of it could work.

The best advice I could give to keep a game realistic is, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Here's an example. If I'm playing as AEW in a real world mod, there's a ton of great talent that was released from WWE in April or whenever. Rusev, EC3, Gallows and Anderson, Slater, etc. Now I CAN sign all of them, but I shouldn't. That would make me look like WWE lite if it were real. Just try to look at everything through the eyes of a wrestling fan and/or reporter.

I had a five year puroresu game that I put an insane amount of time into. I booked tournaments exactly how I would expect them to play out. I had years long story archs of wrestlers overcoming adversity. I could've been more "gamey" and signed top tier talent and just booked however I wanted, but I quickly learned through previous games that the most fun I've had is when I book realistically.

I hire a backstage interviewer and include them in the Freestyle angles because I don't think it's very realistic to think that every backstage interview is just going to be a wrestler talking into a camera randomly.

Every TV show starts with a 1 minute minor angle where the announcers welcome the audience and hype up the Main Event. Every B Show has a 1 minute minor angle where the major happenings of the last A Show gets recapped.

The best advice I could give to keep a game realistic is, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Here's an example. If I'm playing as AEW in a real world mod, there's a ton of great talent that was released from WWE in April or whenever. Rusev, EC3, Gallows and Anderson, Slater, etc. Now I CAN sign all of them, but I shouldn't. That would make me look like WWE lite if it were real. Just try to look at everything through the eyes of a wrestling fan and/or reporter.

I had a five year puroresu game that I put an insane amount of time into. I booked tournaments exactly how I would expect them to play out. I had years long story archs of wrestlers overcoming adversity. I could've been more "gamey" and signed top tier talent and just booked however I wanted, but I quickly learned through previous games that the most fun I've had is when I book realistically.

I love this. I always have the least fun in TEW when it feels ‘gamey’ and when I start making ‘gamey’ decisions, so will definitely keep this in mind. Cheers!

I'm currently playing Mr Villain's 2004 Mod as TNA. Running it the same as it was run in real life just to see how the game plays out (I imagine it will fail like it did in real life)

I will then go back and play it how I want, pushing the guys I like as per normal.

May do the same with WWE/AEW in new year.