Round Robin Tournaments

For people who run the round robin tournaments, you're bound to get heel vs heel matchups. Do you turn the face/heel divide off during the round robin tournament? Or do you just make sure those matches are not the main event? Presumably you have planned it out so that the finals of the tournament are Face vs Heel.

I only run tournaments like that in Japan and the F/H divide is generally off by choice. I use F/H but I do not stick to it strictly and don't use it to change ratings(isn't enforced).

I think there is a "gamey" upside to the divide being enforced in that it makes you think a little harder to get things to work out with what you have. I also think there is "gamey" downside as well and your question really gets at it.

I'm honestly not the biggest wrestling fan so I absolutely can't speak for anyone but myself but it seems like no one is really going to be put off by a F/F or H/H match -- even in the most entertainment and non sports-like companies. That is the "gamey" downside I think. If anything, it would be a boost since it could be a novelty in companies that stick strictly to it. Some of the best matches could be two heels trying to outdo the other with cheating and two faces who have no hard feelings but want the same outcome(how far will they go to win?).

In your situation, if you are just using the tournament as a special occasion thing and use F/H enforced, I'd just turn it off in the editor for the tournament. I don't think there is a logical reason you should be getting a penalty for a tournament like that and you can just use house rules to try and make it make sense if you really need F/H to be a part of it. A good match is a good match and a good story does not always need a good guy and a bad guy.

To me, round robin tournaments in wrestling exist almost solely to put people in interesting matchups you may not see otherwise. The whole point of it is to get those F/F H/H matchups so it seems odd to be penalized.

I think a company that would never want to stray from F/H would almost always use a single elimination tournament where they do not have to worry about it and can easily do F/H for most matches.

Thanks for the input to you both.

hecatomb - I hadn't thought of that dynamic between the 2 dastardly heels or 2 virtuous babyfaces. I'm running a touring company in the US (starting out as Tiny) and I am using my second tour to set up my main event title. The first tour (5 nights) I will use to set up the characters.

MikeSc - that was the main thing I was thinking, too. Though it was pointed out to me by someone on here in another thread that settings face vs face doesn't see much of a dip. (In an earlier playthrough I had one of my veterans offer to put over one of my young guys - both faces, and the timeline didn't give me an opportunity to turn either).

I run round robins in sports entertainment companies all of the time. Heel vs Heel definitely doesn't get the high ratings, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Keep them out of the main event and just enjoy the uniqueness of the match. I'd never remove the penalty.

Sometimes I like to weigh the tournament for more babyfaces. 5 babyfaces and 3 three heels. Or turn a guy half way through. Just to keep these matches to a minimum. Keeps them special. I also run angles to replace matches. One heel pays another to lay down, via cash or favours.

You should be able to book a Midnight Express vs. Original Midnight Express kind of deal though.

The "invading" heels would end up being the heels while the hometown heels would be the babyfaces for that match. They may still be bad guys, but they are your bad guys, not these new and unfamiliar ones.

I do wish the game allowed for stuff like WCCW booking too. The Freebirds were heels against the von Erichs but faces against Devastation.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Vinsmoker" data-cite="Vinsmoker" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51940" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't really use the Face/Heel divide ever. Don't really see the point for it tbh</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same. From a fan perspective, Heel vs. Heel & Face vs. Face don't bother me so I dont apply the rule in game. In fact, the adherence to alignments bothers me more than the opposite in a product.</p>