Popularity progress

Hello,

In my game with the latest patch, CWA hired Matthew Keith in April 2022. Now the game is in July 2024 and Keith is considered unimportant by the fan and is popularity increased only by 2 points (19 to 21) in 1 year despite having a number of matches with main eventers that are ranked above 80.

He is the highest paid wrestler in CWA. I wonder if it's normal.

Last time I check, CWA just hired KC Glenn. I don't know if he will follow the same path. He has only 11 of popularity in Canada but they paid above 100 000 per month for him.

I’m glad somebody else is having these problems. You can’t put them over anybody else because they complain, and you can’t have two unimportant workers wrestle due to the penalty. Maybe there needs to be a short-term popularity and a long-term popularity, similar to momentum and how that runs in the background.

Yeah, it's strange. The AI recognises that Keith (and Glenn) are workers they would want on their roster but as soon as they get them on the roster, it can no longer recognise their ability. It just sees they have a low pop in the new area and uses them based on that. I've had to manually edit pop many times when an AI company brings in a great worker from another area just so they get used somewhat properly. Imagine bringing in Matthew Keith and jobbing him 50 times in a row! Even if he's unknown in Canada, surely Canadian wrestling fans will have heard of him. He keeps getting voted best technical wrestler in the world, after all! AI needs more work, I think.

I’m glad somebody else is having these problems. You can’t put them over anybody else because they complain, and you can’t have two unimportant workers wrestle due to the penalty.

Just because people are complaining, doesn't mean you can't do it. You absolutely can and should take an unknown and Goldberg them through the roster from time to time. The old guard won't be happy, but you're creating a new star. It's worth it. You also absolutely can have two unknowns wrestle on TV. It's not going to get a good rating, but it's building for the future and worth it in the long run. One poor rating isn't going to hurt your show at all.

It's a tricky mental hurdle to get over, but complaints and penalties aren't the game telling you that you're playing wrong. They're just pluses and minuses in the game's math.

It’s a direct result of a “balancing” patch that for some reason killed worker growth.

I haven’t played a sim since I was on 1.15 and the only reason I updated was because of some random bugs where small companies don’t gain popularity at all for no foreseeable reason.

Unfortunate

Just because people are complaining, doesn't mean you can't do it. You absolutely can and should take an unknown and Goldberg them through the roster from time to time. The old guard won't be happy, but you're creating a new star. It's worth it. You also absolutely can have two unknowns wrestle on TV. It's not going to get a good rating, but it's building for the future and worth it in the long run. One poor rating isn't going to hurt your show at all.

It's a tricky mental hurdle to get over, but complaints and penalties aren't the game telling you that you're playing wrong. They're just pluses and minuses in the game's math.

Incorrect, the match quality will be so bad the popularity gains will be minimal to zero. It’s absolutely not worth running a jobber match in any circumstance other than experience training, and even then workers gain less skills from less experienced workers and workers with high experience are far less likely to be unimportant.

Also incorrect on it being worth it. Popularity is pretty hard to gain towards the end of the spectrum, and eating a guys popularity he may never get back that a normal skilled worker can get through jobbing is super inefficient.

Plus if you limit yourself to not using the tried and true large bonus exploit, worker morale is so intensely negative of a problem that it’s just not worth dealing with.

Months and months of decreased grades, backstage incidents and finally an outright refusal to resign.

Incorrect, the match quality will be so bad the popularity gains will be minimal to zero. It’s absolutely not worth running a jobber match in any circumstance other than experience training, and even then workers gain less skills from less experienced workers and workers with high experience are far less likely to be unimportant.

Also incorrect on it being worth it. Popularity is pretty hard to gain towards the end of the spectrum, and eating a guys popularity he may never get back that a normal skilled worker can get through jobbing is super inefficient.

Plus if you limit yourself to not using the tried and true large bonus exploit, worker morale is so intensely negative of a problem that it’s just not worth dealing with.

Months and months of decreased grades, backstage incidents and finally an outright refusal to resign.

This has not been my experience at all. I'd broken plenty of unknown talents through using these method. Midcarders losing popularity and morale has never crippled me. Unknown vs Unknown doesn't get me kicked off TV. Mild penalties, nothing more.

I do think the perception system was supposed to alleviate this problem, since it eliminated the universal fix (forced push to lower midcard) but it’s still tied far too much to popularity and not momentum. It’s more or less the same system as if you tried to push someone before but without the forced push above their pop.

<p>This has been a problem in TEW for as long as I've been playing it. The fact that AI booked workers never seem to go up or down in popularity, even when they're being booked to win, is what leads to rosters stagnating and the same guys remaining on top of the industry well into their 40s or 50s</p><p> </p><p>

Case in point on my current game, Mighty Mo has been booked strong by TCW, winning most of his matches and even capturing the World Title. So far he's had two successful title defences both in PPV main events yet in the last 12 months he has only gained one or two points of Popularity across America. I would have thought just beating Aaron Andrews for the title in a 90 rated match in the main event of Total Mayhem should have done more than that</p>

IA roster management and workers popularity growth are the two things that make the game unplayable on long term saves and these problems have been going on for months. I am now forced to play TEW 2016 because the IA actually push people despite being unable to depush people, which is still better than what we have in 2020. I bought TEW 2020 day one to support the developpers because I thought that the game would be at least decent after a few patches but they even managed to make the game worse and now seem uninterested to change anything.

Hello,

In my game with the latest patch, CWA hired Matthew Keith in April 2022. Now the game is in July 2024 and Keith is considered unimportant by the fan and is popularity increased only by 2 points (19 to 21) in 1 year despite having a number of matches with main eventers that are ranked above 80.

He is the highest paid wrestler in CWA. I wonder if it's normal.

Last time I check, CWA just hired KC Glenn. I don't know if he will follow the same path. He has only 11 of popularity in Canada but they paid above 100 000 per month for him.

He's getting over slowly in my game, so a few questions

1) what's his record since you hired him

2) what's his momentum

3) what's his gimmick rated and does it have any specific effects on ratings

4) what his storyline momentum been

5) what's his record at events (not TV, actual events)

6) what titles has he held

7) how many times has he lost to people of much lower or much greater pop?

8) what's your product rated on

9) any notable dirt sheet info (i.e. hints he may be on drugs etc)

Here's his pop from my game and Ernest Youngman (who just beat keith for a title going some pop and knocked keith down a few points) Both were unimportant when this feud started. Despite his current ratings, keith was all 20+ prior to the recent loss. Keith Joined on Friday of week 4 in May, youngman at the start of the year.

apwpop.jpg?psid=1&width=1860&height=890

Also, I;m a little confused, are we talking about this as purely an AI issue, or a player issue as well? seems to vary in the thread

I’ve seen the AI get to having 10+ people into the 90 pop range in some early sims I wasn’t aware that had changed.

Yea I don’t see a problem with AI getting people over at all. There is difference in getting 90 rated matches and losing vs winning them. You can always go into the booker’s stats and edit them to favor a type of worker. They’ll tend to put them over more often.

And workers get paid now based on their overall popularity not just the region they are at hired at.

Hiring great workers from outside a territory, region, country and jibbing them out is straight out of the wrestling industry playbook.

Yea I don’t see a problem with AI getting people over at all. There is difference in getting 90 rated matches and losing vs winning them. You can always go into the booker’s stats and edit them to favor a type of worker. They’ll tend to put them over more often.

And workers get paid now based on their overall popularity not just the region they are at hired at.

Hiring great workers from outside a territory, region, country and jibbing them out is straight out of the wrestling industry playbook.

Making someone your highest paid worker to lose in dark matches is absolutely not out of anybodys playbook

It's not worth it to have a 0 pop guy dominate a guy with 75 pop true.

However there is a formula to where it is worth it despite morale complaints. If you have a 30 or 40 pop guy beat up some 60 pop midcarders for 8 shows straight, his popularity will most likely be in a good place by the end of those 2 months.

To get your 0 pop guy to 30-40 pop you should tag team them with a star at first. Make them a unit, so he gets gains when the other guy gets all the wins. Make sure Road Agent notes make their matches OPEN.

To add. The Goldberg method is terrible for your roster but it is indeed a method that you can use when you absolutely positively need to build a new star fast and have a bloated midcard.

To get your 0 pop guy to 30-40 pop you should tag team them with a star at first. Make them a unit, so he gets gains when the other guy gets all the wins. Make sure Road Agent notes make their matches OPEN.

I’ll try that with some foreign stars I bring over. Just waiting for APW to go bust so I can finally get Will Beaumont.

It's not worth it to have a 0 pop guy dominate a guy with 75 pop true.

However there is a formula to where it is worth it despite morale complaints. If you have a 30 or 40 pop guy beat up some 60 pop midcarders for 8 shows straight, his popularity will most likely be in a good place by the end of those 2 months.

To add. The Goldberg method is terrible for your roster but it is indeed a method that you can use when you absolutely positively need to build a new star fast and have a bloated midcard.

Sounds like you are implying Goldberg trashed the uppercard from the start.

Goldberg beat mostly scrubs early on. Here's a list

I don't even know who some of these people are and I watched all of their shows. Curious who you would say were the first 5 people at 75 that he beat

Sounds like you are implying Goldberg trashed the uppercard from the start.

Goldberg beat mostly scrubs early on. Here's a list

I don't even know who some of these people are and I watched all of their shows. Curious who you would say were the first 5 people at 75 that he beat

I was a pre-teen and watched every single nitro during Goldberg's debut run. He was trashing guys who fans thought MIGHT have potential. Not suggesting he trashed the upper card early on.

They were all guys who could've gone either way (up/dwn) on the card though. They weren't unknown jobbers.

Hugh Morris, Wrath, Steve Mongo, Scottie Riggs, Disco, Renegade. Those were his early wins and all guys who theoretically were in that 50 pop range at the time they lost to him.

Looking through my roster Dreadnought seems to fit the bill. What are we arguing cannot be done here? I'll try it

I tend to agree with your earlier longer post about it not actually being an issue.

From what the majority of the thread is arguing, the belief is that the A.I. signs high potential/low pop talent (i.e. Matt Keith) and jobs them out for years without giving them any kind of push.

From a user standpoint Ben was arguing that you CANNOT get a worker over by having him win jobber vs jobber matches. I tend to agree with the below point that jobbers needs to beat name talent to get over (IRL and in TEW)

I tend to agree with your earlier longer post about it not actually being an issue.

From what the majority of the thread is arguing, the belief is that the A.I. signs high potential/low pop talent (i.e. Matt Keith) and jobs them out for years without giving them any kind of push.

From a user standpoint Ben was arguing that you CANNOT get a worker over by having him win jobber vs jobber matches. I tend to agree with the below point that jobbers needs to beat name talent to get over (IRL and in TEW)

how do we define jobbers? "unimportant" perception?