2 Questions about listening to Wrestling Podcast and how you play TEW.

1) Whenever I am listening to a wrestling podcast and they are talking about a specific era, worker or angle, I automatically want to start up a new save and play it out. Do you ever do this?

:0)

2) Also, side question: If you are a podcast listener...

Very often Bruce Pritchard, Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Eric Bischoff, Tony Shiavone and others blatantly say that Dave Meltzer is very unreliable in the "Rumors" that he has passed off as fact over the years. Has listening to these podcasts changed your view of Meltzer? I have to admit, I have lost some respect for Dave. If it was just one of these guys that question him, I would mark it off as a personal dispute between them and Meltzer, but each one of them has mentioned that they feel as though much of Dave's stuff is very unreliable. What do you think?

1) Not necessarily specific to podcasts but yes, absolutely. I've been enjoying the hell out of a TCW save I'm into month 4 of but I recently started re-listening to some AEW Unrestricted podcasts and watched some of the AEW Road To series on YouTube and bam! Despite having a perfectly decent save going, I instantly downloaded an updated KTB database and figured yeah, I'll do me some AEW because it looks awesome! A few weeks back, I watched a few Eddie Guerrero matches circa 04' then went and downloaded the 04' database, set it all up, booked one RAW and haven't gone back since. I'm clearly very whimmy.

2) I've never really ever been all that bothered by Meltzer. I'll pay attention to the ratings he gives for matches (Not necessarily because it'll make me watch it but just because... everyone sort of cares about Meltzer's stars!). If I listen to anything from F4W it's primarily because I enjoy Bryan Alvarez. I don't dislike Meltzer. He's clearly been a big part of the business. I just sort of... almost nothing him.

Yes.

And it is very rare that Meltzer is wrong. Most wrestling news you hear comes from him or is reported by someone else who heard it from him. He has definitely been wrong, but so has every journalist in every sport. He is still by FAR the most reputable and trusted for a reason. All of those guys you mentioned of course don't like him because they've been at the end of criticism by him at one point or another.

The only issue with Meltzer's reporting is that there's now an era of fans turned wrestlers, who used him as a guide and tailor their game to his preferences which sort of lends itself to confirmation bias.

Beyond that he's not really different than any other sports reporter. Tons of athletes call things in the media lies before they eventually happen, and more often than not the "lies" are bad second/third hand translations since the source is behind a paywall. The only difference to proper sports journalism is that wrestling is built on lying in itself (its an everlasting work).

Beyond that, I don't really reach back to replay history, but I definitely get ideas through old wrestling. I like to take gimmicks or angles that were relatively minor and try to do them on a larger scale.

<p><p>I don’t really understand the wrestling obsession with Meltzer, especially his rating system. I think he was the best going. Now I think he throws out a lot of ideas out and sees what sticks. But that’s like all journalists now. </p><p> </p><p></p><p>

Shameless plug time but if you want to get into a 95 game with either WWF or WCW then search for Monday Night Chores where ever you get your podcasts from. It’s my show where we review each episode of Raw and Nitro from the Monday night wars and decided which was best! <span class="ipsEmoji"><span class="ipsEmoji">👍</span></span> It’s not serious and a bit of a giggle.</p></p>

I personally think that Meltzer is the standard when it comes to wrestling journalism. What's funny is that Bruce and Eric used to give Meltzer stuff back in the '90s and now they call what they give him lies. Does he get stuff wrong occasionally, yes. But, he tends to be pretty spot on with his reporting. Plus, if he is wrong he will then report that he is wrong. Which many people don't do.

<p><p>People care way too much what Meltzer thinks is my take. There's a group of fans who think that whatever Meltzer says is the truth when it's actually just his opinion. The fact he didn't give a single WWE match the full five stars during the 2000s is ludicrous and setting a star system and having dumb stuff like "quarter stars" and frequently "breaking the scale" with 6 star matches is just incredibly silly.</p><p> </p><p></p><p>

As for his reporting, he's just a hack like any other wrestling reporter but with a higher profile and better connections</p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Dynamite Sid" data-cite="The Dynamite Sid" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People care way too much what Meltzer thinks is my take. There's a group of fans who think that whatever Meltzer says is the truth when it's actually just his opinion. The fact he didn't give a single WWE match the full five stars during the 2000s is ludicrous and setting a star system and having dumb stuff like "quarter stars" and frequently "breaking the scale" with 6 star matches is just incredibly silly.<p> </p><p> As for his reporting, he's just a hack like any other wrestling reporter but with a higher profile and better connections</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> He never set a limit to the rating. If he did it would've broken in 1989 and again in 1994.</p>

<p><p>I don't find podcasts turn me on to a specific era of game. Rather a style. Jim Cornette will often give me the urge to run a territory. Eric Bischoff a sprawling TV company with a crazy dysfunctional locker room. Jim Ross... a Babes of Sin City revival? </p><p> </p><p></p><p>

Meltzer is more reputable than most who claim to be a wrestling journalist, but he still is ultimately a fan whose ratings are based on his own preferences. As his favorite style (action, movez, insider references and obscure callbacks) has moved to the forefront, his ratings have become 'important' in a way they probably weren't intended.</p><p> </p><p></p><p>

Half and Quarter stars are the dumbest thing I've ever seen though. If you want to rate something out of 10, or 20, do that. Instead of precise fractions like you're some kind of scientist.</p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="hailthebulldog" data-cite="hailthebulldog" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>He never set a limit to the rating. If he did it would've broken in 1989 and again in 1994.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't see what it being silly in 1989 and 1994 changes</p>

<p><p>1. Sometimes. Bruce Prichard has said that he would have turned Hogan Heel around 1990 / 91 and whenever I hear that, or something similar, I get inspired to play around with it.</p><p> </p><p></p><p>

2. The thing is with Meltzer is that "he was never there". How does he know all this stuff that happened behind the scenes? Does he take everyone's word for it? Who were his sources? I've been involved in an organization myself where all sorts of rumours were going round on social media. No-ne knew the truth apart from those that experienced it.</p></p>

<p>I will use the ideas in the podcasts but I only ever play Cornellverse games, so it's adapting them to my roster.</p><p> </p><p>

Meltzer? Meh, it's one person's opinion. But much like movie critics, I don't care what they say. There's plenty of movies they love that I didn't, and vice versa. Not a fan of dirty laundry being aired in public. I keep up with the results on other sites, but don't give him any money for "rumors."</p>

I've never had any problem with Meltzer personally. He posts over at WCMB, I think we may have commented on the same threads a few times. I think he takes both himself and his HoF way too seriously, he over values Japanese wrestling, and I really don't get why he's pushing the hell out of AEW.

I'm a regular listener of Jim Cornette's podcasts. Jim has some strong opinions and isn't shy about expressing himself. I tend to agree with him on wrestling most of the time. Don't care about the ongoing bickering between Meltzer and Corny. Seems silly to me.

Arn's podcast is pretty good, but I just don't have time to listen to it every week.

1. Nothing specific but when i'm into wrestling I tend to play the hell out of TEW. Right now this Kenny Omega angle has me hooked and hyped so i'm back booking my Road to Glory save.

2. I'm a big fan of Meltzer; he knows a lot of people in the business, he reports what he believes and he's not always right but he is right more than most wrestling journalists. He definitely writes much better than he talks though, sometimes Alvarez struggles to keep their shows together.

I don't mind his Japanese wrestling and AEW bias because I have the same biases.