Christian Faith - misnamed?

I've never understood why Christian Faith is named "Christian Faith". He's supposed to be a rebel character but his name is Christianity/religion themed? If he were a priest or preacher character it would make sense but it feels like such an incorrect name for this character. I always end up renaming him. I'm curious if there is an explanation canon-wise because I havent found one.

I'm 80% sure his default gimmick was "Badass" and portraying him as a Rebel like character is your own choice. I always treated him like a forever face version of American Badass Taker and never gave a second thought to his name. I guess his goofy gimmicky name could have been Grandfathered in from his time in the SWF during the 80's and he was already established as Christian Faith.

I will say though, I did change Rich Money when he was in SWF because I can handle one gimmicky Main Eventer name but not two. Also, Matty Faith gets turned to Matt because I will never accept a grown man named Matty.

I never looked at it as a reference to religion but more of like a play on words.

Also, I could easily just make up that in the 70s he was a Christian character, but the name stuck and he changed his gimmick when he made it to the big leagues.

Also how is he a rebel character? Could swear he has always been a heroic good guy through the TEW games.

I'm 80% sure his default gimmick was "Badass" and portraying him as a Rebel like character is your own choice. I always treated him like a forever face version of American Badass Taker and never gave a second thought to his name. I guess his goofy gimmicky name could have been Grandfathered in from his time in the SWF during the 80's and he was already established as Christian Faith.

I will say though, I did change Rich Money when he was in SWF because I can handle one gimmicky Main Eventer name but not two. Also, Matty Faith gets turned to Matt because I will never accept a grown man named Matty.

Lol I did the same thing

Also a super religious degenerate rebel wrestler character is basically what The Young Bucks are IRL now. Not outside the realm of realism.

Nothing the Young Bucks do in wrestling is religious in anyway. They're not rebels and they're not degenerates. Where on earth are you pulling this out of? Their gimmick is white meat baby faces that do flips and super kicks and cool double team moves.

Nothing the Young Bucks do in wrestling is religious in anyway. They're not rebels and they're not degenerates. Where on earth are you pulling this out of? Their gimmick is white meat baby faces that do flips and super kicks and cool double team moves.

They've more recently been talking about their faith as Christians. Even some of their merch has reference to it nowadays they have a shirt that says "Christian AF". I wouldn't say their gimmick is degenerates but rebels I can definitely see. Pushing their book they're running with the whole idea of we did it our way, not the corporate way that some people made themselves famous with. And honestly I've never seen them as white meat babyfaces. Even when they have bee babyfaces they have a tendecy to cheat a bit. And they just ran that whole gimmick where they were pissed at the world and super kicking staff and getting fined for it. On top of that not caring that they were getting fined because they had more than enough money to cover super kicking whoever they wanted.

They've more recently been talking about their faith as Christians. Even some of their merch has reference to it nowadays they have a shirt that says "Christian AF". I wouldn't say their gimmick is degenerates but rebels I can definitely see. Pushing their book they're running with the whole idea of we did it our way, not the corporate way that some people made themselves famous with. And honestly I've never seen them as white meat babyfaces. Even when they have bee babyfaces they have a tendecy to cheat a bit. And they just ran that whole gimmick where they were pissed at the world and super kicking staff and getting fined for it. On top of that not caring that they were getting fined because they had more than enough money to cover super kicking whoever they wanted.

Their recent gimmick change where they went around Superkicking announcers and refs and laughed about getting fined for it is not a degenerate tweener gimmick?

On their BTE show they weave their Christianity into most of their skits. They don't drink with Hangman. They ran a running gag where Cutler was trying to get them to do drugs, but they were too Christian to be tempted.

I see Matty Faith as a heavyweight version of The Young Bucks...

Other than super kicking random people, none of that is actually on a wrestling show. It's on their skit show. Yes, BTE sets stuff up sometimes, but on Dynamite they have never said anything about their beliefs. They don't even wear their religious shirts on Dynamite.

Also, they are white meat baby faces. That super kick thing lasted less than a month.

Other than super kicking random people, none of that is actually on a wrestling show. It's on their skit show. Yes, BTE sets stuff up sometimes, but on Dynamite they have never said anything about their beliefs. They don't even wear their religious shirts on Dynamite.

Also, they are white meat baby faces. That super kick thing lasted less than a month.

I respect your opinion here but strongly disagree. Those dudes have not been white meat babyfaces. They've had some edge to them. They don't even smile at the crowd lol...

BTE is an extension of Dynamite. It's AEW canon. Plus they promote that show as much as they promote dark on Dynamite every week.

The Young Bucks are hand have always had the gimmick of Cocky, Egocentric Show-offs. The only reason why they no longer attack every babyface in wrestling, is because they're successfull atm without going full heel. It's how their characters worked in PWG, ROH and NJPW aswell. In similar way early-MJF acted whenever Cody was around. It's even part of the whole storyline with Omega, Page and them

I took it as a loose riff on Superstar Billy Graham.

There was Reverend Billy Graham who was a well known Christian speaker from the 1940s to the 1960s. Of course his legacy as a speaker did not stop in the 1960s, just seems that period was his rise to popularity up until his death in 2018.

Then there's Superstar Billy Graham who's wrestling career skyrocketed in the 1970s, after the Rev. Graham's rise. Who even said he used the name as a tribute in an interview in the Wrestling Observer in 1991.

Now, Superstar Billy didn't have a son who followed up like Matty Faith would but it is popular in wrestling to see nepotism along these lines.

There's a lot of loose but similar threads in the wrestlers created in the C-verse.

I guess, my point is, how is using Billy Graham's name no different than say someone using something "on the nose" in a name like Christian Faith? Doesn't really seem that out of line if you see this connection...

They super kicked Tony Schivone on TV. And they have worn their Christian AF T-Shirt on dynamite that's how I've seen it. I don't watch BTE so everything I've seen has been on Dynamite.

They super kicked Tony Schivone on TV. And they have worn their Christian AF T-Shirt on dynamite that's how I've seen it. I don't watch BTE so everything I've seen has been on Dynamite.

I said they did the super kicking thing on Dynamite. I must have missed the Christian AF shirt, but the super kick thing still didn't last long before they regressed back to their standard gimmick.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. No sense in arguing. :)

I think you have to look at the context of the situation. The SWF is portrayed to be like the WWE. The Company is ran by greedy business men who lie, cheat and steal to get what they want. Christian Faith would absolutely be a rebel in that culture. Standing up for good morals and values in that world would definetly make him a rebel in the eyes of the Eisen's.

I said they did the super kicking thing on Dynamite. I must have missed the Christian AF shirt, but the super kick thing still didn't last long before they regressed back to their standard gimmick.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. No sense in arguing. :)

Oh one note is that they did joke on BTE the other week that they were going through a phase the past few months where they "thought they were turning heel."

I took it as a loose riff on Superstar Billy Graham.

There was Reverend Billy Graham who was a well known Christian speaker from the 1940s to the 1960s. Of course his legacy as a speaker did not stop in the 1960s, just seems that period was his rise to popularity up until his death in 2018.

Then there's Superstar Billy Graham who's wrestling career skyrocketed in the 1970s, after the Rev. Graham's rise. Who even said he used the name as a tribute in an interview in the Wrestling Observer in 1991.

Now, Superstar Billy didn't have a son who followed up like Matty Faith would but it is popular in wrestling to see nepotism along these lines.

There's a lot of loose but similar threads in the wrestlers created in the C-verse.

I guess, my point is, how is using Billy Graham's name no different than say someone using something "on the nose" in a name like Christian Faith? Doesn't really seem that out of line if you see this connection...

Super interesting. I didn't know about this!