AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

Yes I saw that the great Terry Funk passed away earlier today.  What a talent.  He was such a good interview and he changed his style over the years in ways most today couldn’t even comprehend.  Thankfully there is a lot of good Terry Funk stuff on the net.  RIP champ.

on the AWA front with Sarge leaving, what better way to make a splash but to put the belt on a young unproven talent like Kokina.  Watts can leave Sarge splattered on the mat in St Paul but maybe more importantly at WrestleRock on what maybe a big stage.  Message to Vince - choke on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kokina's Yokozuna right? If so then he'd make a good champion, as long as his eating habits don't mess it up.

Hey is jerry Lawler's relationship with awa still good or have they gone their seperate ways? Cause maybe they can try to hold working relationship with uswa. Their gotta be a Lotta talent there you can use.

• Thanks 1

FROM THE WRESTLING NARC NEWSLETTER...

The WrestlingNarc received a leaked memo showing the payout to each of the wrestlers who participated in the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament.

Valerie was said to be furious with her payoff and almost quit on the spot until talked out of it by some of the wrestlers.

The low payouts to Adams, Aguyao. Saito and Chono were off-set by First Class travel.

Wahoo and Valentine apparently grumbled about not being the two highest paid guys on the show  since they worked four matches each.

PWHC TOURNAMENT PAYOUTS:

Stan Hansen and Sgt. Slaughter: $1,800 each

Greg Valentine and Wahoo McDaniel: $1,600 each

Carlos Colon: $1,000 (guaranteed)

Tully Blanchard: $700 (guaranteed)

Kokina Maximus and Jerry Blackwell: $600 each

Col. DeBeers: $700

Chris Adams, Perro Aguyao, Bruce Hart, Mr. Saito, Riki Choshu, Tom Zenk: $400 each

The Iron Sheik: $500 (guaranteed)

Jake Milliman: $500

Ken Patera, Larry Zbyszko, Jonnie Stewart: $300

DARK MATCH WRESTLERS

Greg Gagne, Akio Sato, Magnificent Mimi, Wendi Richter, Cactus Jack, Tommy Jammer, Sam Houston, Mike Miller (Portland Wrestling): $200 each

MANAGERS

Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey: $300

Dick Murdoch: $250

Valerie: $150

Masked Doc: $125

TOTAL TICKETS BOUGHT: 5,428

AVG. PRICE OF TICKETS BOUGHT*: $22.00

GATE (EST.): $119,416

TOTAL PAYOUT TO WRESTLERS: $17,125

(Just a shot in the dark guess based on the layout and pricing I had in my mind.)
Edited by piperrulz

47 minutes ago, piperrulz said:

(PREVIOUS STORYLINE POST: Wrestler Payouts for the PWHC Tournament.)

Bray Wyatt died unexpectedly today. He was 36. Heart attack. RIP. 😔

Bray Wyatt early promo:

Holy cow that’s sad.  While I was a fan originally when he was working the Wyatt gimmick, they lost me on it the last couple of years.  He could cut a promo and wasn’t bad in the ring.  I thought I heard rumors of his possible return coming.  Certainly shocking at just 36.  I wonder what illness exactly that he had been battling.  Certainly feel sorry for the whole Windham and Rotunda families.  I believe he married one of the backstage interviewers and they had a young kid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, piperrulz said:
FROM THE WRESTLING NARC NEWSLETTER...

The WrestlingNarc received a leaked memo showing the payout to each of the wrestlers who participated in the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament.

Valerie was said to be furious with her payoff and almost quit on the spot until talked out of it by some of the wrestlers.

The low payouts to Adams, Aguyao. Saito and Chono were off-set by First Class travel.

Wahoo and Valentine apparently grumbled about not being the two highest paid guys on the show  since they worked four matches each.

PWHC TOURNAMENT PAYOUTS:

Stan Hansen and Sgt. Slaughter: $1,800 each

Greg Valentine and Wahoo McDaniel: $1,600 each

Carlos Colon: $1,000 (guaranteed)

Tully Blanchard: $700 (guaranteed)

Kokina Maximus and Jerry Blackwell: $600 each

Col. DeBeers: $700

Chris Adams, Perro Aguyao, Bruce Hart, Mr. Saito, Riki Choshu, Tom Zenk: $400 each

The Iron Sheik: $500 (guaranteed)

Jake Milliman: $500

Ken Patera, Larry Zbyszko, Jonnie Stewart: $300

DARK MATCH WRESTLERS

Greg Gagne, Akio Sato, Magnificent Mimi, Wendi Richter, Cactus Jack, Tommy Jammer, Sam Houston, Mike Miller (Portland Wrestling): $200 each

MANAGERS

Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey: $300

Dick Murdoch: $250

Valerie: $150

Masked Doc: $125

TOTAL TICKETS BOUGHT: 5,428

AVG. PRICE OF TICKETS BOUGHT*: $22.00

GATE (EST.): $119,416

TOTAL PAYOUT TO WRESTLERS: $17,125

(Just a shot in the dark guess based on the layout and pricing I had in my mind.)

Based on that revenue Verne sure looked like he was a little tight with the payoffs.  Even if you throw in another $3000-4000 grand for refs and announcers, he didn’t even pay out 20%

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theheel said:

Holy cow that’s sad.  While I was a fan originally when he was working the Wyatt gimmick, they lost me on it the last couple of years.  He could cut a promo and wasn’t bad in the ring.  I thought I heard rumors of his possible return coming.  Certainly shocking at just 36.  I wonder what illness exactly that he had been battling.  Certainly feel sorry for the whole Windham and Rotunda families.  I believe he married one of the backstage interviewers and they had a young kid.

According to Sean Ross Sapp, one of the biggest wrestling reporters, it was a heart attack due to the damage COVID did to his heart which is why he'd been away for so long. I'm betting we're going to get a lot of those around the world in the next few years since we still haven't figured out how to treat long-COVID yet.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Kokina's Yokozuna right? If so then he'd make a good champion, as long as his eating habits don't mess it up.

Hey is jerry Lawler's relationship with awa still good or have they gone their seperate ways? Cause maybe they can try to hold working relationship with uswa. Their gotta be a Lotta talent there you can use.

The AWA's partnership with the USWA will pick up since Jarrett is now one of the owners and putting USWA talent (like Portland talent) on AWA shows was part of the deal for him buying a small % of the company.

6 hours ago, smartman said:

According to Sean Ross Sapp, one of the biggest wrestling reporters, it was a heart attack due to the damage COVID did to his heart which is why he'd been away for so long. I'm betting we're going to get a lot of those around the world in the next few years since we still haven't figured out how to treat long-COVID yet.

Sad to see. I wonder if he took the vax. There are lots of articles out there reporting that young vaxxed people, especially young athletes, are dying at an alarming rate. Could the vax have contributed to his heart problems in the first place?

7 hours ago, Theheel said:

Based on that revenue Verne sure looked like he was a little tight with the payoffs.  Even if you throw in another $3000-4000 grand for refs and announcers, he didn’t even pay out 20%

I don't know. This was his swan song big show and it seems like the payoffs were decent. But that's just me...

On 8/23/2023 at 10:53 PM, Theheel said:

Yes I saw that the great Terry Funk passed away earlier today.  What a talent.  He was such a good interview and he changed his style over the years in ways most today couldn’t even comprehend.  Thankfully there is a lot of good Terry Funk stuff on the net.  RIP champ.

on the AWA front with Sarge leaving, what better way to make a splash but to put the belt on a young unproven talent like Kokina.  Watts can leave Sarge splattered on the mat in St Paul but maybe more importantly at WrestleRock on what maybe a big stage.  Message to Vince - choke on it.

There will be a surprise in St. Paul. But my lips are zipped.🤐

Terry was truly a great performer in a business where the word great is thrown around way too loosley.

Thanks for the comments, gents.

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SonOfSharknado said:

"Did the vaccine kill Windham Rotunda?" 

Alright, well, good luck to ya, that's me done with this thread forever and until the end of time.

FOR ALL READERS! PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ!

li·bel
/ˈlīb(ə)l/
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels
  1. 1.
    Law
    a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

Notice how the vax quote I re-posted above is made to look like I said it. I didn't say what's in the quotation marks.

Here's my actual statement on the passing of Bray Wyatt (it's listed in the post before SonofSharknado's. Was responding to smartman.)

Sad to see. I wonder if he took the vax. There are lots of articles out there reporting that young vaxxed people, especially young athletes, are dying at an alarming rate. Could the vax have contributed to his heart problems in the first place?

Just wanted to clarify that. You can disagree with me all you want. But, I will defend myself against blatant defamation.

• Like 2

It depends on which vax he might have taken. Here, in quebec, people complained a lot about the astrazeneca one because it ended up giving the people that used it rare blood clots. Since Bray Wyatt died of heart attacks, this leads me to think he might have taken the astrazeneca one instead of the much safer Pfizer. I said might have, since i don't know the details, but it does point towards this.

Anyways, let's see what watts and crockett will do now with AWA. Pls no stupid ass over the top rope DQ rule...

Edited by kinnikuniverse
  • Thanks 1

He had a bout with COVID so whether he got any vaccination is irrelevant unless someone is a raving anti-vax loon like RFK Jr or most of the Republican Party. COVID caused some people to have myocarditis aka enlarged heart. That kept a Minn. Vikings LB out for at least a season and other players in other sports. The virus messes with your blood which is why you end up with clots and a lot of the lung damage is from that too and they're thinking that is what is contributing to brain fog as it's choking some of the oxygen to the brain. But there is a ton of stuff unknown about long-COVID which is clearly what Windham had as it had been causing him problems for at least a year which is why he'd barely wrestled after his re-signing.

The vaccines are safe and the side effects are the same infinitesimally small percentage of people every other vaccine has now. At the beginning? There were some weird issues for certain specific age groups and gender. For nearly everyone, they don't enlarge your heart, cause blood clots, or cause heart attacks.

And the word you're looking for is Slander, not libel. Libel has to be in print in a publication by a journalist or someone purporting to be a journalist. If anyone wants to be an anti-vax loon, go right ahead. I've given up fighting for you to remain alive from a preventable thing. Over 1 million dead, with most of them being anti-vax loons and still want to argue? You do you. Just don't do a fundraiser for your massive hospital bills when you end up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, smartman said:

He had a bout with COVID so whether he got any vaccination is irrelevant unless someone is a raving anti-vax loon like RFK Jr or most of the Republican Party. COVID caused some people to have myocarditis aka enlarged heart. That kept a Minn. Vikings LB out for at least a season and other players in other sports. The virus messes with your blood which is why you end up with clots and a lot of the lung damage is from that too and they're thinking that is what is contributing to brain fog as it's choking some of the oxygen to the brain. But there is a ton of stuff unknown about long-COVID which is clearly what Windham had as it had been causing him problems for at least a year which is why he'd barely wrestled after his re-signing.

The vaccines are safe and the side effects are the same infinitesimally small percentage of people every other vaccine has now. At the beginning? There were some weird issues for certain specific age groups and gender. For nearly everyone, they don't enlarge your heart, cause blood clots, or cause heart attacks.

I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I still went with pfizer, anyways. Thank god i didn't have this when i had COVID

Edited by kinnikuniverse

Anyway back to 80’s wrestling.

I know I said Kokina and he would be a good monster champion but Terry Funk would have been one hell of an AWA champ.  Don’t know in this universe he’s getting ready to feud with Flair but if not……

if you could sign Tully that would be another good option.  And I just remembered I did say Barry Windham before months ago.  He could be a face or heel champ.

I’m just not sure I see a World champion on the roster at the moment other than maybe Kokina who is green but has been pushed.  Hanson and Lawler could be but I don’t think they are regulars.  AWA needs an identity to move forward.

Edited by Theheel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, smartman said:

And the word you're looking for is Slander, not libel. Libel has to be in print in a publication by a journalist or someone purporting to be a journalist. If anyone wants to be an anti-vax loon, go right ahead. I've given up fighting for you to remain alive from a preventable thing. Over 1 million dead, with most of them being anti-vax loons and still want to argue? You do you. Just don't do a fundraiser for your massive hospital bills when you end up there.

I'm actually pro-choice on the vax. If you want to take the vax then take it. If you don't then don't. I harbor no ill will against anyone on either side.

I took the first two doses of the vax because I was 'taking one for the team' to do my small part to help get America moving again. If I had known then what I know now I probably would not take it.

Weren't all WWE wrestlers required to take the vax in 2020?

We need to see what happens 10-20 years down the road regarding the long-term side effects of this vax. But short term, it looks like it's having some devastating consequences already.

Did the vax play a role in the development of the heart issue? That's what people want to know and we may never get that answer.

Also, it's unfair to say that anti-vaxxers are 'loons'. Most of them have legitimate concerns from their position on this matter just like you do from your position.

18 hours ago, Theheel said:

Anyway back to 80’s wrestling.

I know I said Kokina and he would be a good monster champion but Terry Funk would have been one hell of an AWA champ.  Don’t know in this universe he’s getting ready to feud with Flair but if not……

if you could sign Tully that would be another good option.  And I just remembered I did say Barry Windham before months ago.  He could be a face or heel champ.

I’m just not sure I see a World champion on the roster at the moment other than maybe Kokina who is green but has been pushed.  Hanson and Lawler could be but I don’t think they are regulars.  AWA needs an identity to move forward.

Tully would have always been a good WC IMO IRL.

If the AWA signs Windham it's too soon to pull the trigger on him IMO bc the PPV would be less than 2 months away at the time of this writing.

Will it be Kokina???

The roster is thin for long-term WCs right now. That's got to change.

Did you get the PM response I sent you a couple of days ago???

Edited by piperrulz

1671840428271.png

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - MARCH 1990

(Verne Gagne's last episode of AWA on ESPN tapings.)

(# - Aired on a previous AWA program.)

(4th Taping)

Show Intro

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: Kokina Maximus sees action

Tommy Rich wrestles

Greg Gagne & Jake Milliman see tag team action

A look back at the end of The Trooper vs. Zbyszko cage match from last week PLUS! comments from The Trooper

'Cowboy' Bob Orton returns to the AWA on ESPN

PWHC Greg Valentine wrestles

A look back at the end of last week's match between Badd Co. and the Top Guns with an AWA World Tag Team Title shot on the line

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) won a squash match over Richie Cunningham via pinfall with his bulldog finisher

Houston came down the face aisle to a strong ovation from the fans.

Once in the ring, Sam saluted the crowd.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Sam Houston! You've still got to be riding a tidal wave of momentum after beating Col. DeBeers recently on national television!

Crowd cheered.

Sam: I'm still feeling the high from that victory, Larry. But I can't rest on my laurels. The win over DeBeers was a big one for me. Now it's time to prepare for other challenges that lie ahead.

Nelson: You looked strong in your match here against Richie Cunningham.

Sam: I've met Richie and his wife Lori Beth before. They're good folks.

But inside the ring business is business.

Nelson: Coach Murdoch, you had to be really impressed with the way Sam bounced back from that tough loss to then AWA World Champion Stan Hansen and pulled out the victory over Col. DeBeers.

Dick: I was very impressed by Sam in that match. He showed me a lot. He proved that he can bounce back from a tough loss like the one to Hansen and beat a major star here in the AWA in Col. DeBeers.

Nelson: In your opinion, what is the secret of Sam's success since he's been here in the AWA?

Dick put his hand on Sam's shoulder.

Dick: I knew this kid had a great deal of talent when I first saw him. The natural ability to be a main event star was always there. He just needed someone to work with him and help him get to top tier status.

Nelson: What do you see for Sam moving forward?

Dick: I see a guy who can shake off major setbacks in this sport, regroup and come back strong and get in the win column again.

Nelson: Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch, everybody!

Crowd cheered as Sam played to the crowd.

Pic aired of Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... TOMMY TIME!

Commercials

Tommy Rich (w/ Cactus Jack) won a squash match over Warren 'Potsie' Weber with his Thesz Press finisher

During the match, Marshall and Blears discussed Marshall training with Blackwell in preparation for their upcoming match against Blackwell and Jack.

Rich and Cactus were strongly booed coming down the heel aisle to the ring but also had their fans.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Tommy Rich. Cactus Jack. It looks like the hour is fast approaching when you'll be wrestling announcer Lee Marshall and Jerry Blackwell in a match.*

Rich: I want lee Marshall to remember one thing. When we beat him and Blackwell, I get five minutes alone in the ring with Marshall. I'm gonna turn you inside out, Lee! You don't stand a chance against me one-on-one, boy!

I'm not only gonna beat the tar out of you in those five minutes! I'm gonna bloody you so bad that a trail of blood will follow you all the way back to the locker room!

Cactus: I actually feel quite bad for Lee Marshall. He's gonna have to learn a lesson the hard way. But, he has to remember he brought this on himself. Your wrestling career isn't the only thing that's gonna end when we step into the ring with you and Big Boy Blackwell!

Your announcing career is gonna go up in smoke too. BANG! BANG!

Rich: You're gettin' a double whammy, Lee Marshall! And when you can no longer work in wrestling just remember... the lines can be long at the unemployment office! Hahaha!

I do have an AMC Gremlin that you can buy off me for $500 dollars because you're goin' to the poor house after you're turned into mince meat! I should let you know that the windshield is gone, though! Any angry, drunk girlfriend and a shovel are not a good combination around cars!

Cactus: Lee, I'll have my friends at the asylum make a special sympathy card for you after you've been shredded by us!

Nelson: Cactus Jack and Tommy Rich, everybody!

Loud boos from the crowd.

(* Verne's last taping. They had no idea of Watts' plans for the angle and match yet.)

Video aired from the Top Guns-Badd Co. match from last week with the caption: NEXT... BACKFIRE!!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week's match on AWA on ESPN between the Guns and Badd Co. with the winner getting a tag title shot.

VIDEO:

# End of the match saw Tanaka and Dukes the legal men in the ring.

Tanaka had the upper hand and was working over Dukes. DDP urging his men on from ringside. Tanaka dropped Dukes with a roundhouse kick to the side of the head. Tanaka for the cover. 1,..2... Dukes kicked out. Crowd half-assed into the match. Tanaka snapped Dukes up, whipped Dukes into the ropes and caught Dukes coming off with a backhand to the face. Dukes stunned. Tanaka went to whip Dukes into the ropes but Dukes reversed and caught Tanaka coming off with a powerslam. That woke the crowd up. Dukes slow in making the cover. 1...2... Diamond hit the ring and stomped Dukes in the back of the head to break up the pin try. Rice hit the ring and jumped on Diamond and the two started brawling in the corner. Ref trying to restore order in the ring. Dukes saw what was happening and went over to where the fighting was going on. Ref distracted by Diamond and Rice battling it out. Tanaka recovered, came up behind Dukes and nailed Dukes with a low-blow Dukes crashed to the mat. Fighting between Rice and Diamond spilled onto the floor. Ref still trying to get both men back to their corners. DDP climbed in the ring behind the distracted ref's back and ordered Tanaka to pull Dukes up to his feet. Tanaka did so. DDP went to hit Dukes with his cane but Dukes broke free of Tanaka's grasp and DDP struck Tanaka instead. Tanaka crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Ref still distracted with Rice and Diamond on the floor.  Dukes stunned DDP by grabbing the cane out of DDP's hands and throwing it out of the ring. DDP tried to beg off but Dukes blasted DDP with a big right to the head. DDP crashed to the mat, rolled out on the apron and crashed to the floor as the fans erupted. Tanaka slowly making it to his feet. Dukes lying in wait. Tanaka up and Dukes charged in and pulverized Tanaka with a running clothesline. Tanaka crashed to the mat. Fighting petered out on the floor and the ref turned and saw Dukes covering Tanaka. Ref dropped dowhn. 1... Diamond tried to climb back into the ring but Rice tripped him up and Diamond fell through the ropes back into the ring. ...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans popped.

Dukes up and he and Rice hugged in celebration as the ref raised both of their hands in victory.

Diamond helped the stunned Tanaka out of the ring to the floor and the pair met up with their manager DDP, who was holding the side of his head where he was punched. Diamond looked back at the victors in the ring.

Diamond picked up on a mic.

Diamond: We'll be back, boys! Watch your step!

In-Studio:  Nelson said reports were that manager DDP was fuming after the loss and that he's been putting Badd Co. through grueling workouts recently.

Nelson sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

'Cowboy' Bob Orton won a squash match over Arthur Fonzarelli via pinfall with his superplex finisher

Pic aired of PWHC Champion Greg Valentine with the caption: NEXT... VALENTINE RULES!!!

Commercials

Greg valentine won a squash match over Al Delvecchio via submission with his figure four leglock

Valentine came down the heel aisle wearing his title around his waist and was strongly booed but also had a contingent of fans.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Greg Valentine. You are the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion. What can we look for during your reign?

Valentine: First, you people can all expect a long reign from me! This belt is gonna be mine for a long time to come! There's a lot of contenders out there and they're gonna remain just that... contenders!

Most in the crowd booed.

Valentine: It's also gonna be a reign built on broken, battered bodies! I intend to leave a lot of men laid out in this ring!

As Wahoo learned in the final of the tournament for this belt, when I lock my figure four on it's lights out for my opponent!

Nelson: Wahoo did indeed pass out in the hold.
Valentine: There are other wrestlers out there who also use the figure four! But none of them use it with the scientific precision that I do!
I know all the pressure points to hit in such an exact way that men have cried when I've had them in the hold!

But there will be no mercy from 'The Hammer! None!

This is a business and at the end of the day the champions are the ones who make the biggest money in pro wrestling!

I've got a lot riding on this championship! And I have no intention of letting this beautiful, very expensive belt go without a fight!

I have lots of reasons to hold onto it! And all those reasons, all of 'em, have dead Presidents on them!

The 'Reign of The Hammer' has just begun!

Valentine held the belt aloft and strutted around the ring to boos.

Pic aired of Gagne and Milliman with the caption: NEXT... 2% FOREVER!!!

Commercials

Jake Milliman & Greg Gagne won a squash match over Ralph & Mickey Malph via pinfall when Jake pinned Mickey with his Pasteurizer (flying leg drop) finisher

Milliiman and Gagne came down the face aisle to the ring to a strong ovation.

Jake tore off his 2% Forever t-shirt and threw it into the crowd before the match and struck a few bodybuilder poses.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman! These fans have really taken to you as a team! You looked quite impressive here!

Gagne: I think the Malphs have seen happier days, Larry.

We have got things moving in the right direction. And make no mistake. We're not just a team that comes out here to make the fans happy. We're serious about our wrestling. We want those tag team titles!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Jake?

Crowd started buzzing.

Jake: Greg and I have been training really hard. And one of the key things to our success is our diet that's high in 2 percent milk!

Crowd cheered.

Jake: We also like other dairy products like cheese! Greg's a gouda man and I'm a cheddar man!

Nelson: Guess you know what you'll be giving each other for Christmas.

Jake: You got that right! I've got a direct line to Hickory Farms! It's gonna be a dairy Christmas!

Another thing I want to say is this! Tommy and Cactus, our issue has not been settled! You can concentrate on your match with Lee
Marshall and Jerry Blackwell! But, you've still gotta deal with us as well! Nothing was settled in our match recently! This only ends when one team wins!

You guys are as low as they come in wrestling! You also don't look like you drink much 2 percent milk! Shame on you for neglecting the drink that does a body good!

Fans cheered.

Nelson: Milliman and Gagne, everybody!

Gagne and Milliman started striking bodybuilder poses to the delight of the crowd.

Video aired from last week's cage match with Zbyzsko and Trooper on AWA on ESPN with the caption: NEXT... CAGE RAGE!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week's cage match between Larry Zbyszko and The Trooper. Nelson said after the match footage there will be comments from The Trooper.

VIDEO:

Trooper caught Zbyszko with a punch followed by slamming Zbyszko's head into the top of the cage. Zbyszko lost his balance and crotched himself on the top rope and fell back into the ring. Trooper dropped to the mat. Trooper grabbed Zbyszko and went to whip Zbyszko into the corner but Zbyszko reversed and sent Trooper into the other direction and Trooper slammed into the ref. Ref slammed against the buckles and crumpled to the mat. Trooper against the ropes and hurting. Zbyszko moved in and pounded Trooper in the back. Zbyszko went to whip Trooper into the ropes but Trooper reversed and caught Zbyszko coming off with an inverted atomic drop. Zbyszko crashed to the mat holding the goods. Trooper went over and checked on the ref. Zbyszko crawled over and low-blowed Trooper and Trooper crashed to the mat grabbing the jewels.

Mixed crowd reaction as the masked mystery man made his way through the crowd, climbed over the barricade chain and walked up to ringside with a weapon in his hand.

Marshall: The cage was put up to specifically keep this man from interfering!

Blears: Where there's a will there's a way.

Zbyszko up and saw the masked man and the masked man slipped a weapon through the mesh and it fell to the apron. Mystery man fled the area through the crowd and was booed. Zbyszko went over and picked up the weapon.

Marshall: It's nunchuks! We know Zbysko's into martial arts!

As Zbyszko spun the nunchuks around in an impressive display, The Trooper recovered enough and was getting to his feet. Ref recovering in the corner. Zbyszko turned and went to go after Trooper but Trooper charged at Zbyszko and blasted Zbyszko with a tackle. Crowd popped. Zbyszko lost the weapon. Trooper up and picked up the weapon and held it like he was going to hit Zbyszko but instead tossed the weapon aside. Zbyszko up and Trooper charged in and nailed Zbyszko with a flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Zbyszko slowly up and Trooper again popped Zbyszko with a flying shoulder tackle. Trooper backed up and waited for Zbyszko to get to his feet one more time. Zbyszko slowly, painfully up and Trooper charged at Zbyszko and nailed him with a third straight flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko crashed to the mat and flatlined. Trooper covered Zbyszko and hooked the leg as the ref recovered enough and crawled over. 1.....2.....3! Loud pop from the crowd as the ref called for the bell. Trooper to his feet and the ref raised his hand in victory as the program went off the air.

Pic flipped and The Trooper, in his police uniform, hat and sunglasses and with mic in hand was standing in front of the AWA logo.

Trooper: Larry Zbyszko!  It...is...over!!! You fought the law and the law won!

Your disrespecting of law enforcement is finished! The sun has now set on your anti-police crusade!

You wanted chaos?! Well, you got it in that cage! You got exactly what you wanted!

But, the law was there to prevent you from taking your hatred of those who walk the thing blue line to the next level!

This was a win for law, order, decency and a safe, sane society!

Zbyszko, your world was built on anarchy! The law of the jungle would have been your law here in the states if you had your way!

But your long march toward turning America into a Blade Runner society crashed into the dust when I beat you in that cage match!

Here's hoping you learned your lesson, Zbyszko! Maybe now you'll have a whole new respect for law enforcement!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Kokina with the caption: NEXT... MAXIMUS DESTRUCTION!!!

Commercials

Kokina Maximus vs. Chachi Arcola

Shot of the stretcher at ringside.

Arcola was already in the ring and announced to very little crowd response.

Loud rumbling sound followed by an explosion filled the arena as Kokina, manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey and the Masked Doctor made their way down the heel aisle to the ring and climbed in. The trio were strongly booed.

Ref called for the bell.

Arcola slowly came out of his corner and walked up to Kokina, It was clear the young Italian was nervous. The two looked at each other for a moment and then Arcola ran and hit the ropes and came off and slammed into Kokina and crashed to the mat. Arcola quickly scooted back against the ropes. Arcola slowly to his feet. Arcola charged at Kokina again and Kokina caught Arcola with a devastating belly-to-belly suplex. Kokina for the cover. 1...2... Kokina pulled Arcola up by the hair. Ref reprimanded Kokina. Kokina blasted Arcola with a headbutt and Arcola crashed back to the mat. Arcola in pain holding his head. Kokina slowly moved in and stomped Arcola. Kokina snapped Arcola up and threw Arcola in ragdoll-like fashion into the corner. Kokina laid into Arcola with a deliberate series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Arcola limp in the corner, Kokina yanked Arcola out of the corner and sent Arcola hurtling across the ring and crashing to the mat. Arcola crawled over on his stomach next to the ropes. Kokina moved in, grabbed the top rope and stood on Arcola's back and broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Arcola rolled out on the ring apron. Announcers discussed Kokina defeating Blackwell at the PWHC Tournament the previous month. Ref ordered Kokina to stand back and the ref began the 10-count. Arcola slowly to his feet with the aid of the ropes and Kokina moved in and caught Arcola with a stiff slap to the face and hoisted Arcola over the top rope and bodyslammed Arcola. Kokina then hit Arcola with a leg drop. Kokina for the cover. 1...2...thr... Kokina again pulled Arcola up by the hair. Once again, ref reprimanded Kokina.

Marshall: When you look up the definition of the word 'sadist' in the dictionary there's a picture of Kokina.

Kokina whipped Arcola into the ropes and caught Arcola coming off with a savate kick to the gut. Arcola crashed back to the mat. Kokina snapped Arcola up by the hair and slammed Arcola's head into the the top buckle. Arcola leaned front-first against the buckles. Kokina peeled Arcola off the buckles and hit Arcola with a lifting side slam. Kokina then went to hit Arcola with an elbow smash to the chest but Arcola rolled out of the way and Kokina crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Both men down.  Ref counting, Kokina up as Arcola got to a knee. Kokina grabbed Arcola and Arcola caught Kokina with a trio of elbows to the gut. Arcola nailed Kokina with some gut punches and went to whip Kokina into the ropes but he couldn't budge Kokina. Kokina caught Arcola with a gut shot of his own and whipped Arcola into the buckles. Kokina charged in and pulverized Arcola with an avalanche. Kokina pulled Arcola out of the corner and bodyslammed the hapless Arcola. Kokina mounted the middle buckle facing the crowd and came off with his Bonzai Drop (butt drop to the chest) finisher. Kokina sat on Arcola's chest as the ref counted. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed.
Kokina up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Kaissey and the Masked Doc stepped into the ring, Kaissey congratulated his man and raised his hand in victory a second time as the crowd booed. Masked Doc pulled some medical supplies out of his bag and briefly checked on Arcola before nodding 'yes' at Kaissey. Masked Doc put his stuff back in his bag and Kokina dragged his defeated opponent out onto the apron, Kokina went over and pulled the stretcher over and placed the destroyed Arcola on it and wheeled Arcola back up the heel aisle with Kaissey and the Masked Doc in tow as the program ended.

WINNER: Kokina - Pinfall - 5:09

DARK MATCHES

AWA WORLD TITLE: Sgt. Slaughter (WC) def. Jonnie Stewart via submission with his Cobra Clutch finisher - 13:14

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES:  Destruction Crew (WTTC) def. Scott 'Flash' Norton & Billy Jack Haynes (from Portland Wrestling) via pinfall when Bloom pinned Norton after hitting Norton in the face with one of the tag title belts - 20:17 - Crowd really got into this match!

PWHC TITLE: Greg Valentine (PWHC) def. Tom Zenk via submission with his figure four finisher - 8:31

$15,000 WOMEN'S BATTLE ROYAL

PARTICIPANTS: Magnificent Mimi (WC), Wendi Richter, Candi Divine, Debbi Combs, Lelani Kai, Brandi Mae, Sue Green, Reggie Bennett, Terri Power, Judy Martin

Wendi Richter won the Battle Royal when she eliminated Magnificent Mimi by backdropping Mimi over the top rope down to the floor - 6:23

PAID ATTENDANCE: 2,466

FREE TICKETS GIVEN OUT: 403

FREE TICKETS USED: 248

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 2,714

1100a.jpg

THE SHOWBOAT HOTEL IN VEGAS!

NOW JUST A FOND MEMORY...
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 3

image.png.c9850a7baceffa51c0197e6dee3f4268.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING - SHEBOYGAN ARMORY - SHEBOYGAN, WI - MARCH 1990

Announcers: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

Ring-Announcer/Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(Verne Gagne's final  All-Star Wrestling taping.)

(# - Aired on another AWA program.)

(4th Taping)

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT - STEEL CAGE MATCH: Larry Zbyszko vs. The Trooper

A look back at last week's reuniting of Wahoo and Muraco as a tag team

NON-TITLE: Magnificent Mimi (w/ Valerie) sees action

Ken Patera wrestles

From Portland Wrestling: Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton see tag action

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Sheboygan.

'Cowboy' Bob Orton won a squash match over Soupy Sales via pinfall with his superplex finisher

Orton came down the heel aisle and got a fair amount of boos from the crowd.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: 'Cowboy' Bob Orton. You've come back to the AWA.

That superplex finisher of yours is a very devastating and effective maneuver.

Bob: When you suplex an opponent off the top rope it drives the breath from his body when he slams into the mat. It's hard to recover from a blow like that, man.

Nelson: You've had a stellar career in the sport. You've won multiple championships over that time. What are your aims and goals now that you're back in the AWA?

Bob: To beat up as many people as possible.

The Cowboy is back with both barrels blazing. And I'm looking for something I've never had before.

Nelson: What's that?

Bob: I'm looking to relieve Sgt. Slaughter of the World Title.

Crowd booed.

Bob: I've done everything you can think of in this business. But I've never won THE belt. I aim to change that now that I'm back here.

Nelson: Bob Orton, everybody!

More moderate crowd boos.

In-Studio: Nelson said Orton is looking to establish himself here in the AWA and go straight for the World Champion. Said Orton's not flashy but that he is a top-notch wrestler inside the ropes,

Nelson also said that next week on ASW they would have a major announcement about an upcoming AWA event.

Pic aired of Haynes and Norton with the caption: NEXT... PORTLAND POWERHOUSE!!!

Commercials

Billy Jack Haynes & Scott 'Flash' Norton won a squash match over Rowan Atkinson & Doc Martin via submission when Haynes made Martin submit to his full nelson finisher

The pair came down the face aisle to a decent response and were announced as being from Portland Wrestling.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton, you've come all the way from the great Pacific Northwest to wrestle here in the AWA.
Scott Norton, you are a former pro arm wrestling champion. And looking at those arms I can see why!

Norton: Thank you, Larry. I am an arm wrestling champion. I've defeated a lot of strong men. But if you really want a test against strong men then become a professional wrestler.

Nelson: You two make up quite a tag team. You'd certainly be a welcome addition to the AWA.

Norton: You've got a lot of god tag teams here in the AWA. We like to test ourselves against solid competition. That's why we made the journey to Sheboygan from Portland.

Nelson: Billy Jack Haynes. You've wrestled on AWA programming before. As a matter of fact, you faced your old nemesis, another Portland Wrestling star in Rip Oliver. That was quite a wild match.

Billy: First of all, let me just say it's great to be here in Sheboygan!

Fans cheered.

Billy: The feud between Rip Oliver and me is one of those feuds that will just never die.

But right now I'm here with Scott Norton as a tag team. We're looking to face the best the AWA has to offer anytime, anywhere.

We certainly plan to come back to the AWA again in the near future if you'll have us.

More cheers.

Nelson: I think it's obvious the fans would like to see more of you two in action in AWA rings.

Billy: We'll be back soon. Right now, we've got some business to take care of up in the Northwest. But we will be back to wrestle in front of these great fans again one day.

More cheers.

Norton: With Billy as  a tag team partner, I know we can go a long way no matter where we go.

Nelson: You guys would be a serious test for the AWA tag team division. I'm certain of that.

Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton, everybody!

Fans cheered some more for the pair.

In-Studio: Nelson talked about how the fans took to Norton and Haynes during their match and expected them to be back in AWA rings soon.

Pic aired of Ken Patera with the caption: NEXT... THE STRONG MAN!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for AWA house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

Ken Patera won a squash match over Buster Rhymes via submission with his swinging full nelson finisher

Patera came down the face aisle to a good ovation.

Once again, Valerie came down the heel aisle during the match and took notes. She left as soon as the match ended. Patera noticed her at ringside.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Ken Patera, once again Valerie was out here scouting you during your match.

Patera chuckled.

Ken: I guess Valerie hasn't gotten the memo even though I've said it before. Let me be clear: I'm not signing up with Valerie to be a part of her stable!

Crowd popped.

Ken: She can come out here and take all the notes she wants on me! It's not going to do her any good! There's no way I'm turning my back on these fans for whatever it is she's offering! It would not be worth it! I also have to look myself in the mirror every morning!

Knowing that I sold my soul to a she-devil is something I could not live with!

More cheers.

Nelson: Any news on you and Brad getting back together as a team?

Ken: Never say never. It could happen at some point. Me and Brad have been discussing it. But right now we're both going the singles' route. The fans will be the first to know if it happens.

Nelson: Ken Patera, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson said he wonders why Valerie keeps scouting Patera when Patera has made it clear that he would not sign with her. Pointed out that Rheingans has also said the same thing about Valerie scouting him.

Pic aired of Muraco and Wahoo aired with the caption: NEXT... REUNION!!!

Commercials

in-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's Cactus Jack-Don Muraco match from ASW.

VIDEO:

# End of the match saw Cactus on the offensive. Jack had worked over Muraco and whipped Muraco into the corner. Jack charged in and Muraco charged out of the corner and flattened Jack with a running clothesline. Crowd popped. Jack slowly made it to his feet and Muraco caught Jack in the fireman's carry position and blasted Jack with a Samoan Drop. Jack in bad shape as the fans popped like Mr. Cryosote. Muraco got up and gestured it was time for his inverted piledriver finisher. As Muraco grabbed Jack, Tommy Rich, in street clothes, charged down the heel aisle to boos and hit the ring and attacked Muraco from behind. Ref called for the bell.

Rich pounded away on Muraco as Jack recovered and joined in the attack. The two hammered away on Muraco, whipped Muraco into the ropes and caught Muraco coming off with a double clothesline. Muraco crashed to the mat. Crowd popped as Wahoo, now fully recovered from Tully's chair attack at the tournament, charged down the face aisle, hit the ring and started battering Rich and Cactus with punches. Wahoo then peppered Rich with knife-edge chops to the chest. Jack recovered and jumped Wahoo and they now had the advantage. Muraco recovered and jumped into the fray and the four started brawling. Ref again called for the bell to no avail. Jack and Rich got the upper hand and pounded on Muraco and Wahoo and went to whip Muraco and Wahoo into each other but Muaco and Wahoo reversed and sent Jack and Rich slamming into each other as the fans popped. Jack and Rich on stagger street USA. Wahoo blasted Rich with a huge chest chop and Rich slammed to the mat, rolled out of the ring and crashed to the floor. Muraco pummeled Jack with punches and Jack fell against the ropes. Muraco charged in and pulverized Jack with a running clothesline that sent Jack over the top rope and crashing to the floor to more cheers.

Muraco and Wahoo looked around from the ring and then left and dropped to the floor and Larry Nelson was waiting for them at ringside with mic in hand.

Nelson: Don Muraco! Wahoo McDaniel saved you from what could have been a terrible beating at the hands of Cactus Jack and Tommy Rich!

Muraco: Larry! The Chief's always got my back and I've got his!

Nelson: Wahoo...

Wahoo: Don, I think you know the question I'm about to ask you. We haven't tagged together for a while. We were on a real good run.

Do you wanna get back together and finish what we started in the tag team division?

Muraco wiped the sweat off his face.

Muraco: Chief, I've never had a better tag team partner than you. We were on quite a roll before we decided to go our separate ways as singles.

To answer your question: Yes! Let's reunite and finish the job as a tag team!

The pair briefly hugged and looked out at the cheering crowd.

Nelson: You heard it here first! Wahoo and Muraco are back together as a tag team!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said it was great to see Wahoo and Muraco back as a team. Said fans should expect them to make a lot of noise in the tag team division.

Pic aired of Women's Champ Mimi with the caption: NEXT... GOLD DIGGER!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for AWA house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

NON-TITLE: Magnificent Mimi (WC) won a squash match over Agent 99 via pinfall with her sitout powerbomb finisher

Mimi and Valerie came down the heel aisle to boos.

Once in the ring, Mimi strutted around with the belt held aloft,

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Magnificent Mimi. Wendi Richter has challenged you to a powerbomb vs. powerbomb match.

Mimi: Wendi Richter can make all the demands she wants. I call the shots because I'm the champ!

Crowd booed.

Mimi: She can beat her chest all she wants! She can't beat me to regain this belt and she won't beat me in a powerbomb match! She's had her day in the sun! She had her Rock N Wrestling Connection! Now, it's time for her to step aside and let the new blood of the women's division shine!

Nelson: Will you accept her challenge?

Mimi: I think I just answered your question, Mr. Neck Beard! Richter needs to consider a trip to the wrestling retirement home! She's yesterday's news!

Nelson: Valerie, Ken Patera wrestled in the previous match and has said no matter how much you scout him or whatever you offer him, he will never sign with you.

Valerie: Who said anything about signing him? Did it ever occur to you or any of these humanoids out here that I might be scouting him as a future opponent?

Fans booed.

Nelson: I don't think he can wrestle Mimi.

Valerie: I'm looking at several different wrestlers to sign. Those wrestlers are men. Why would I need to scout another woman wrestler when I've already got the Women's Champ under contract? 

And if Mr. Patera or any other male lays a hand on Mimi they will be going straight to the Steel Bar Hilton.

I can't even believe you'd think I was scouting him to wrestle Mimi. How stupid are you?

Nelson: That depends on who you ask.

Valerie: I bet.

Nelson: Women's World Champion Magnificent Mimi and Valerie, everybody!

Crowd booed as Mimi strutted around the ring with the belt.

Video aired from the Zbyszko-Trooper cage match with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIM EVENT!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson again told fans to tune in next week for a major AWA announcement.

Nelson then intro'd the cage match between Trooper and Zbyszko from last week's AWA on ESPN.

VIDEO:

STEEL CAGE MATCH: Larry Zbyszko vs. The Trooper

# Sounds of police sirens filled the arena as The Trooper made his way down the face aisle to a strong pop from the crowd.

Trooper was all business and not slapping hands with fans or handing out little souvenir speeding tickets on the way to the ring.

Trooper climbed into the cage and walked around.

Loud boos then filled the 'Boat as Zbyszko made his way to the ring down the heel aisle.

Zbyszko made his way to the ring and checked out the steel structure and pulled on some of the mesh before entering the cage.

Ref called for the bell.

Crowd already buzzing.

Announcers pointed out that you could not win by exiting the cage first.

The two men engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and struggled to gain the advantage when The Trooper suddenly gained the upper hand and threw Zbyszko off and Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Crowd cheered. Zbyszko up and the two engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up with the same end  result. Zbyszko up slowly and the two men circled one another again and just before locking up, Zbyszko turned, walked over to the door, climbed out on the apron and demanded to be let out of the cage. Crowd booed loudly. As Zbyszko yelled at the AWA official who held the key to the cage door to open it, Trooper came up behind Zbyszko and slammed Zbyszko's head into the cage door. Zbyszko stunned. Trooper pulled Zbyszko back into the ring, whipped Zbysko into the ropes and blasted Zbyszko coming off wiht a big clothesline. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Trooper popped the downed Zbyszko with a couple of head shots and then beat the back of Zbyszko's head repeatedly on the mat to the delight of 90% of the fans. Trooper snapped Zbysko up and threw Zbysko head-first into the cage. Zbyszko hit the cage and spun around and staggered right into a huge right hand from The Trooper. Trooper hit Zbyszko with a suplex and then went for a jumping elbow smash but Zbyszko rolled out of the way and Trooper crashed to the mat. Both men to their feet and Trooper walked right into a jumping spin kick to the chest from Zbyszko. Trooper crashed back down to the mat. Zbyszko dropped down on top of Trooper and started blatantly choking him in front of the ref. Ref counting. Zbyszko broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4 and then repeated it, breaking again at the count of 4. Trooper holding his throat. Zbyszko up and stomped away on Trooper. Zbyszko snapped up Trooper and threw Trooper head-first into the cage. Trooper bounced back and crashed to the mat. Zbyszko snapped Trooper up and nailed Trooper with a swinging neckbreaker. Zbyszko for the cover. 1...2... Trooper kicked out. Zbyszko up and raked Trooper's face with his boot laces. Trooper up and fell over next to the ropes. Zbyszko moved in an caught Trooper with some well placed kicks and Trooper fell out onto the apron and then dragged Trooper's face across the unforgiving steel mesh. Trooper down on the apron. Zbyszko strutted around in the ring to boos.Trooper to his knees and now bleeding. Zbyszko ignored the ref as Trooper was getting to his feet and Zbyszko grabbed Trooper, ran him down the apron and slammed Trooper's head into the top ring bolt that connects the post to the turnbuckle. Trooper leaned back against the cage. Zbyszko moved in and caught Trooper with a couple of deliberate head shots and pulled Trooper back into the ring through the top and middle rope. Zbyszko whipped Trooper into the ropes and looked to catch Trooper coming off with a backdrop but Trooper dropped to a knee and belted Zbyszko with an uppercut to the jaw. Zbyszko stunned as the fans popped like corn. Trooper moved in on Zbyszko and Zbyszko went to punch Trooper but Trooper blocked the punch try and fired away on Zbyszko with punches. Zbyszko on stagger street. Trooper whipped Zbyszko into the ropes and caught Zbysko coming off with a flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Trooper up and waited for Zbyszko to get to his feet and Trooper charged in an popped Zbyszko with another flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko crashed back to the mat. Zbyszko started getting to his feet as Trooper moved in and Zbyszko grabbed the front of Trooper's tights, dropped own and pulled Trooper front-first into the buckles.

A message appeared on the screen: MORE ACTION TO COME!!!

Commercials (3 minutes)

BACK FROM COMMERCIAL

Match was re-joined in progress...

Zbyszko was holding the upper hand. Zbyszko caught Trooper in the sleeper. Trooper struggled to free himself from the hold. Trooper started to fade. Trooper found the strength to lunge over and drop down and Zbyszko slammed head-first into the top buckle and Trooper was freed from the hold. Zbyszko spun around in the corner and Trooper fired away on Zbyszko with kicks and punches. Trooper whipped Zbyszko into the opposite buckles and charged in and pulverized Zbyszko with a running clothesline. Zbyszko limp in the corner. Trooper yanked Zbyszko out of the corner and and pulled Zbyszko out on the apron and violently slammed and then dragged Zbyszko's head across the steel mesh.

Blears: Lee, one thing a lot of people don't realize is that when steel mesh fencing is made, there are often imperfections that we call small barbs that are on the mesh. They can tear up flesh.

Zbyszko down on the apron. Ref ordered Trooper back into the ring and began the 10-count on Zbyszko. Zbyszko slowly made it to his feet with the help of the cage and was now bleeding. Trooper moved in and repeatedly slammed the back of Zbyszko's head into the cage and pulled Zbysko back into the ring. Trooper hoisted Zbysko up in the gorilla press position and threw Zbyszko head-first into the cage. Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Trooper for the cover. 1...2... Zbyszko kicked out. Crowd groaned. Trooper snapped up Zbyszko and threw Zbyszko head-first into all four sides of the cage. Zbyszko staggered. Trooper ran, hit the ropes and came off with a flying shoulder tackle and Zbyszko crashed to the mat. Trooper for the cover. 1...2...thr... Zbyszko kicked out. Crowd groaned. Trooper reached down and started to pull Zbyszko up when Zbyszko stunned Trooper with a jaw breaker to the top of the head. Trooper snapped back and crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Zbyszko up and grabbed Trooper's legs and flipped over on top of Trooper for the pin. 1...2... Trooper bridged out and, after a brief struggle, caught Zbyszko in a backslide for the pin. 1...2...thr... Zbyszko kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Trooper caught Zbyszko with a kick to the gut. Trooper went to whip Zbyszko into the ropes but Zbyszko reversed and sent Trooper flying head-first into the cage. Trooper spun around and Zbyszko caught Trooper with a kick to the gut. Zbyszko then hoisted Trooper up and nailed Trooper with a piledriver. Trooper down. Zbyszko for the cover. 1...2... Trooper got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref ordered a break. Zbyszko up, grabbed the top rope and stomped away on the injured Trooper. Zbyszko broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Zbyszko snapped Trooper up, whipped Trooper into the ropes and looked to catch Trooper coming off with a clothesline but Trooper and Zbyszko clotheslined each other down to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting.  Both men stirred as the count grew. Both men up and Zbyszko started climbing the cage to escape even though you could not win that way. As Zbyszko was about to try and climb over the structure, Trooper climbed up next to Zbyszko on the top rope. Trooper caught Zbyszko with a punch followed by slamming Zbyszko's head into the top of the cage. Zbyszko lost his balance and crotched himself on the top rope and fell back into the ring. Trooper dropped to the mat. Trooper grabbed Zbyszko and went to whip Zbyszko into the corner but Zbyszko reversed and sent Trooper into the other direction and Trooper slammed into the ref. Ref slammed against the buckles and crumpled to the mat. Trooper against the ropes and hurting. Zbyszko moved in and pounded Trooper in the back. Zbyszko went to whip Trooper into the ropes but Trooper reversed and caught Zbyszko coming off with an inverted atomic drop. Zbyszko crashed to the mat holding the goods. Trooper went over and checked on the ref. Zbyszko crawled over and low-blowed Trooper and Trooper crashed to the mat grabbing the jewels.

Mixed crowd reaction as the masked mystery man made his way through the crowd, climbed over the barricade chain and walked up to ring side with a weapon in his hand.

Marshall: The cage was put up to specifically keep this man from interfering!

Blears: Where there's a will, there's a way.

Zbyszko up and saw the masked man and the masked man slipped a weapon through the mesh and it fell to the apron. Mystery man fled the area through the crowd and was booed. Zbyszko went over and picked up the weapon.

Marshall: It's nunchuks! We know Zbysko's into martial arts!

As Zbyszko spun the nunchuks around in an impressive display, The Trooper recovered enough and was getting to his feet. Ref recovering in the corner. Zbyszko turned and went to go after Trooper but Trooper charged at Zbyszko and blasted Zbyszko with a tackle. Crowd popped. Zbyszko lost the weapon. Trooper up and picked up the weapon and held it like he was going to hit Zbyszko but instead tossed the weapon aisde. Zbyszko up and Trooper charged in and nailed Zbyszko with a flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko slowly up and Trooper again popped Zbyszko with a flying shoulder tackle. Trooper backed up and waited for Zbyszko to get to his feet one more time. Zbyszko slowly, painfully up and Trooper charged at Zbyszko and nailed him with a third straight flying shoulder tackle. Zbyszko crashed to the mat and flatlined. Trooper covered Zbyszko and hooked the leg as the ref recovered enough and crawled over. 1.....2.....3! Loud pop from the crowd as the ref called for the bell. Trooper to his feet and the ref raised his hand in victory as the program went off the air.

WINNER: Trooper - Pinfall - 15:06 (Match Air-time: Approx. 12 minutes.)

DARK MATCHES

AWA WORLD TITLE: Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC) def. Jonnie Stewart via submission with the Cobra Clutch - 11:26

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) def. Billy Jack Haynes & Scott Norton (from Portland Wrestling) when Bloom pinned Norton after hitting Norton in the face with one of the belts - 15:21

Greg Gagne & Jake Milliman def. Tommy Rich & Cactus Jack when Milliman pinned Rich with his Pasteurizer (flying leg drop) finisher - 9:48

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP: Greg Vaklentine (PWHC) def. Tom Zenk via submission with his figure four leglock - 8:52

ATTENDANCE: 2,097

(END OF THE VERNE GAGNE AWA TV ERA!)

In honor of Wahoo and Muraco reuniting:

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

LATE MARCH 1990

SHOWBOAT HOTEL - LAS VEGAS, NV

The AWA crew had arrived in Sin City for its monthly set of tapings.

Vegas was starting to heat up,

These would be the first tapings under the new regime.

Bill Watts needed to talk to Tommy Rich, Cactus Jack and Ed Wiskoski (Col. DeBeers).

Watts mind worked very similar to Verne when it came to discussing business matters. 'Kayfabe' could have been Watts' middle name.

Watts had the wrestlers come to his room 10 minutes apart, even though all were heels, in case there were any fans milling around in the halls looking for wrestler autographs and pics.

Ed, Tommy and Cactus were now assembled in Watts' room.

Bill: I'll be brief.

I've called you guys here to discuss a title change.

What I'm about to tell you needs to stay between us. Bob* is leaving for the WWF in the near future.

This came out of nowhere. We were blindsided.

On April 19th, we're doing a house show at the St. Paul Civic Center. Originally, it was gonna be Sarge vs. DeBeers in the title match and

Sarge was going over. Now, things are being changed quite a bit.

What we're gonna do is start the St. Paul show with one of those spinning bingo ball baskets in the middle of the ring. The basket will be filled with the names of the wrestlers. President Stanley Blackburn will spin the basket and draw a name. That wrestler will face and defeat Sarge for the title that night.

Rich: Who's getting the strap, if I can ask?

Watts: I'll get to that in a minute.

All three of you are going to be involved in the match.

And one of you, the one who directly costs him the match, is gonna face Sarge at WrestleRock in a Loser Leaves The AWA/No DQ match if Bob sticks around that long.

So, here's the plan. I'll let Bob know the details later.

Watts spent the next few minutes laying out a very detailed plan for the title change.

Watts: Are we good here, gentlemen?

All three agreed they were.

Watts: Please, try not to talk to anyone about this. We're still three weeks away from St. Paul and I don't want this info getting In one of those dirtsheets like the Observer before it happens.

All three took a proverbial vow of silence on the matter and left the room in 5-minute intervals to protect kayfabe.

Col. DeBeers, Tommy Rich or Cactus Jack would be the next World Champion and the other two were gonna play a major role in the title change.

The new era of the AWA takes another interesting turn!

STAY TUNED...

(* Bob, aka Robert Remus, aka Sgt. Slaughter.)
  • Like 4