GCG: Saving the Golden Lion [C-Verse 1977]

Would you go back in time to keep a loved one from dying? Would you risk your life and career to save your passion from crumbling into the dust? Would you give up everything?

GCG: Saving the Golden Lion is a dynasty where one man, Hiroyasu Gakusha, answers these questions with a resounding YES. Follow the man who watched the company he loved fall apart around him go back to 1976 and try to right the wrongs that started the tragic decline of such a legendary promotion.

r6X4H0u.jpg

About the Diary

I've toyed with the idea of a puro diary for a long time. I've had a few bumpy starts with BHOTWG and SAISHO that never reached the stage of getting posted here, but when I started looking around the 1977 CVerse mod, GCG's position grabbed my attention. The beginning of the end for the company - a fierce rival in the rising BHOTWG, and a raft of future legends. The time travel thing is a fun story, but it's basically just an excuse for me to boot out Hanshiro Furusawa.

Pace

This is not a deep, character driven story. This is more of an account of things I did in the game. There will be feuds, but the descriptions of promos and matches will be brief. The aim is to advance through time quickly enough to relive the war in the 1970s and 1980s between GCG and BHOTWG rather than spend too long on the details.

Post schedule and predictions

Events will be posted once a week. Probably on Sunday. Tour shows will not be open for predictions because I think that will slow down the release, and I think it's unlikely people will want to predict ten shows with minor importance. Instead, the tour will be posted as one document with each show getting a short description of what's important. I recommend you read the descriptions in the black boxes and only read through the tour match results if you're really interested. Attached to the end of each tour document will be the match card for the event and from this, predictions can be made.

Tournaments are a little different. As each match is meaningful, people will likely want to predict each show. However, in the case of the Parade of Champions, there are 14 nights of block matches - posting each show individually would slow down progress massively. Instead, tournament shows will be posted in groups of 4-6 (released on Sunday like an event) and then the finale on its own like a normal event. You will be able to predict every match, but you'll do multiple shows at a time.

Other diaries

This will be my third active diary. My others PWL and IWO will continue exactly as before without any drop in quality or frequency. I appreciate it could seem like I'm spreading myself too thin and this diary might not last.

However, when I started writing this diary, I had written 20 shows ahead of what I was posting in PWL and I feel like that gap has to come down a little or I lose connection with the feedback my wonderful readers are giving me. In the case of IWO, I'm ahead of schedule and those shows don't take too long to write anyway.

So, with lockdown meaning my work schedule has been massively reduced, I needed another project to keep the creative juices flowing. Things have been opening up and I'm busy again, so I told myself I'd only start posting the show when I'd written a year of game-time. And now I have. Everything is already done for the whole of 1977 which will last 3-4 months of real time posting. And by them, I'll likely have finished 1978 and perhaps even 1979.

The Mod, Credits & Thanks

The mod I'm using is That 70's Mod by Mr T Jobs To Me, PeterHilton, jtlant, and SB.

The mod is listed as "work in progress" but it's very playable. From the detailed worker bios to the variety of fleshed out companies, it really feels like the CVerse, and I'm always finding little bits of history and lore that connect to the modern day. If you're looking for somewhere to start a new game of your own, it's definitely worth giving this a try. The workers tend to have less admirable personalities and quite a few companies go bankrupt quickly, but I attribute that to the state of the industry back then rather than seeing them as problems.

I'd like to show my appreciation for Adam Ryland and everyone involved with making TEW 2020 and its mods, all of which have given me so much joy and creative inspiration.

Big thanks to the mods and all the other diary writers and readers on the forum who make this community a great place to be.

And of course, I'd like to show my gratitude to those who read and follow my other diaries - your feedback and comments spur me on to create more and improve my writing.

I hope you enjoy this diary!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a point I hadn't thought about from the preview; that Gakusha will still be an ageing 46 year old. It's a shame really but I suppose he's still had his career, in a way.

I've definitely always liked the idea of a diary that allowed me to play lots in game but still keep an interesting diary without posting the actual shows in too much depth. Weirdly enough I actually had about 2 years of a GCG diary written up a couple years ago for TEW 2016. But that was just mostly monthly recaps really. As much as this, rightly so, seems to focus on the Japanese legends that are and will to be, I'm interested in seeing which gaijins make an impact. Perhaps instead of people like Jimmy Cox and Pistol Pete we get other c-verse stars make the trip to Japan.

That's a point I hadn't thought about from the preview; that Gakusha will still be an ageing 46 year old. It's a shame really but I suppose he's still had his career, in a way.

I've definitely always liked the idea of a diary that allowed me to play lots in game but still keep an interesting diary without posting the actual shows in too much depth. Weirdly enough I actually had about 2 years of a GCG diary written up a couple years ago for TEW 2016. But that was just mostly monthly recaps really. As much as this, rightly so, seems to focus on the Japanese legends that are and will to be, I'm interested in seeing which gaijins make an impact. Perhaps instead of people like Jimmy Cox and Pistol Pete we get other c-verse stars make the trip to Japan.

Yeah, Gakusha had to sacrifice his legendary legacy to go back and save the company!

There are definitely some big gaijin characters who will appear - especially as quite a few of the American companies go bankrupt in the first year and hugely talented workers are looking for a place to work...

Well this is really intriguing

Excellent introduction. I have zero knowledge of 70's CVerse so I think this will be real interesting to follow along with. I wish you all the best with GCG going forward!

Thanks guys, I knew little of the era, but it's been a blast digging into the lore in other companies, such as OLLIE who I have an affinity for! I hope you find it entertaining - it's something a little different at the very least.

GCG Battle Tour 1977

Recommendation

To get a quick idea of what happens on tour, you can just read what's in the black boxes below each show's result cards - you don't need to read all 5 results for all 10 shows to understand the stories. The purpose of these tour shows is to give context for the matches on the main show.

DocDroid Link Keepandshare link

Embedded version

<iframe width="80%" height="600" src="https://docdro.id/9wwBYNv" frameborder="1" allowtransparency allowfullscreen></iframe>

GCG The Art of Battle 1977

Azumanonami, Junichi Monou & Ujiaki Honda VS. Jean-Jacques Leblanc, Mike Barstow & Viktor Molatov

Fumiyo Yoshimatsu VS. Ryusei Kanai

GCG Openweight (vacant)

Team Kawajiri (Masashi & Oyori) VS. Kazu Yoshizawa & Yoshifusa Maeda

Genei Konda & Seto Cho VS. Harumi Shinomori & Major Havok

Team FURY (Kyoichi Tsukata & Tetsuya Najahara) VS. Team Hitokiri (Jin Sakamoto & Shadow Kabuto)

GCG World Tag Team (vacant)

Daisuke Sato VS. Hanshiro Furusawa

GCG World Heavyweight (vacant)

Azumanonami, Junichi Monou & Ujiaki Honda VS. Jean-Jacques Leblanc, Mike Barstow & Viktor Molatov

Fumiyo Yoshimatsu VS. Ryusei Kanai

Team Kawajiri (Masashi & Oyori) VS. Kazu Yoshizawa & Yoshifusa Maeda

Genei Konda & Seto Cho VS. Harumi Shinomori & Major Havok

Team FURY (Kyoichi Tsukata & Tetsuya Najahara) VS. Team Hitokiri (Jin Sakamoto & Shadow Kabuto)

Daisuke Sato VS. Hanshiro Furusawa

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="KeyserSoze" data-cite="KeyserSoze" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52848" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Good show. You don't use all your weapons and still is a solid 77. The Tag Team was a letdown anyway?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks! Yeah, the tag title match was poor. The morale backstage is horrendous at this stage, so ratings are lower than you'd expect.</p>

GCG Battle Tour 1977

Recommendation

To get a quick idea of what happens on tour, you can just read what's in the black boxes below each show's result cards - you don't need to read all 5 results for all 10 shows to understand the stories. The purpose of these tour shows is to give context for the matches on the main show.

DocDroid Link Keepandshare link

Embedded version

<iframe width="80%" height="600" src="https://docdro.id/Uo8zIXK" frameborder="1" allowtransparency allowfullscreen></iframe>

GCG Justice 1977

Ryusei Kanai [c] VS. Ujiaki Honda

GCG Openweight

Azumanonami, Fumiyo Yoshimatsu, Harumi Shinomori & Seto Cho VS. Billy Sanderson, Jean Jacques Leblanc, Mike Barstow & Viktor Molatov

Daisuke Sato VS. Major Havok

Kazu Yoshizawa & Yoshifusa Maeda VS. Team Hitokiri [c] (Jin Sakamoto & Shadow Kabuto)

GCG World Tag Team

Genei Konda & Team Kawajiri (Masashi & Oyori) VS. Hanshiro Furusawa & Team FURY (Kyoichi Tsukata & Tetsuya Najahara)

Ryusei Kanai [c] VS. Ujiaki Honda

GCG Openweight

He can be a beast,

Azumanonami, Fumiyo Yoshimatsu, Harumi Shinomori & Seto Cho VS. Billy Sanderson, Jean Jacques Leblanc, Mike Barstow & Viktor Molatov

Feeding the foreign army

Daisuke Sato VS. Major Havok

Kazu Yoshizawa & Yoshifusa Maeda VS. Team Hitokiri [c] (Jin Sakamoto & Shadow Kabuto)

GCG World Tag Team

Put the gold in your best talents. It can go wrong.

Genei Konda & Team Kawajiri (Masashi & Oyori) VS. Hanshiro Furusawa & Team FURY (Kyoichi Tsukata & Tetsuya Najahara)

A bit curious no Jimbo no Toshusai.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:24px;">GCG Justice 1977</span></p><p> </p><p>

<a href="https://docdro.id/1jLvMVT" rel="external nofollow">DocDroid Link</a> <a href="https://www.keepandshare.com/doc20/22860/2-2-justice-pdf-611k?da=y" rel="external nofollow">Keepandshare link</a></p><p> </p><p>

Embedded version</p><p>

<iframe width="80%" height="600" src="<a href="https://docdro.id/1jLvMVT" rel="external nofollow">https://docdro.id/1jLvMVT"</a> frameborder="0" allowtransparency allowfullscreen></iframe></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Predictions</span></span></p><p>

KeyserSoze: 3/5</p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:24px;">GCG The Lion's Den Tour 1977</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Recommendation</strong></p><p> To get a quick idea of what happens on tour, you can just read what's in the black boxes below each show's result cards - you don't need to read all 5 results for all 10 shows to understand the stories. The purpose of these tour shows is to give context for the matches on the main show.</p><p> </p><p> <a href="https://docdro.id/9ClLP3u" rel="external nofollow">DocDroid Link</a> <a href="https://www.keepandshare.com/doc20/22861/3-1-the-lion-s-den-tour-pdf-253k?da=y" rel="external nofollow">Keepandshare link</a></p><p> </p><p> Embedded version</p><p> <iframe width="80%" height="600" src="<a href="https://docdro.id/9ClLP3u" rel="external nofollow">https://docdro.id/9ClLP3u"</a> frameborder="1" allowtransparency allowfullscreen></iframe></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52848" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div style="text-align:center;"><div><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">GCG The Lion's Den 1977</span></strong><p> </p><p> Nashiwakamaru VS. Yoshifusa Maeda</p><p> </p><p> Dissent (Billy Sanderson, Jean-Jacques Leblanc & Mike Barstow) VS. Kazu Yoshizawa & Team FURY (Kyoichi Tsukata & Tetsuya Najahara)</p><p> </p><p> Ryusei Kanai [c] VS. Viktor Molatov</p><p> GCG Openweight</p><p> </p><p> Daisuke Sato & Major Havok VS. The Golden Guard (Harumi Shinomori & Seto Cho)</p><p> </p><p> Hiroyasu Gakusha VS. Yoshinaka Toshusai</p><p> </p><p> Team Hitokiri [c] (Jin Sakamoto & Shadow Kabuto) VS. Team Kawajiri (Masashi & Oyori)</p><p> GCG World Tag Team</p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:14px;">Genei Konda VS. Hanshiro Furusawa [c]</span></p><p></p></div></div><div></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p></div><p></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:24px;">GCG The Lion's Den 1977</span></p><p> </p><p>

<a href="https://docdro.id/UoZ2YNZ" rel="external nofollow">DocDroid Link</a> <a href="https://pdfhost.io/v/C8rJX5gWC_PowerPoint_Presentation.pdf" rel="external nofollow">Alternative Link</a></p><p> </p><p>

Embedded version</p><p>

<iframe width="80%" height="600" src="<a href="https://docdro.id/UoZ2YNZ" rel="external nofollow">https://docdro.id/UoZ2YNZ"</a> frameborder="0" allowtransparency allowfullscreen></iframe></p><p> </p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p>The Parade of Champions 1977 is up next - here are the blocks and the cards for the first 6 days.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52848" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">GCG Parade of Champions 1977 Days 1-6</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> BLOCK A</p><p> Hanshiro Furusawa</p><p> Harumi Shinomori</p><p> Hiroyasu Gakusha</p><p> Jin Sakamoto</p><p> Kyoichi Tsukata</p><p> Major Havok</p><p> Seto Cho</p><p> Viktor Molatov</p><p> </p><p> BLOCK B</p><p> Daisuke Sato</p><p> Genei Konda</p><p> Kazu Yoshizawa</p><p> Mike Barstow</p><p> Panther Tanimoto</p><p> Shadow Kabuto</p><p> Yoshifusa Maeda</p><p> Yoshinaka Toshusai</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 1 (Block A)</span></strong></p><p> Seto Cho VS. Viktor Molatov</p><p> </p><p> Harumi Shinomori VS. Hiroyasu Gakusha</p><p> </p><p> Jin Sakamoto VS. Major Havok</p><p> </p><p> Hanshiro Furusawa VS. Kyoichi Tsukata</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 2 (Block B)</span></strong></p><p> Mike Barstow VS. Panther Tanimoto</p><p> </p><p> Daisuke Sato VS. Yoshifusa Maeda</p><p> </p><p> Kazu Yoshizawa VS. Yoshinaka Toshusai</p><p> </p><p> Genei Konda VS. Shadow Kabuto</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 3 (Block A)</span></strong></p><p> Hiroyasu Gakusha VS. Major Havok</p><p> </p><p> Kyoichi Tsukata VS. Viktor Molatov</p><p> </p><p> Harumi Shinomori VS. Seto Cho</p><p> </p><p> Hanshiro Furusawa VS. Jin Sakamoto</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 4 (Block B)</span></strong></p><p> Daisuke Sato VS. Panther Tanimoto</p><p> </p><p> Kazu Yoshizawa VS. Yoshifusa Maeda</p><p> </p><p> Shadow Kabuto VS. Yoshinaka Toshusai</p><p> </p><p> Genei Konda VS. Mike Barstow</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 5 (Block A)</span></strong></p><p> Jin Sakamoto VS. Viktor Molatov</p><p> </p><p> Hanshiro Furusawa VS. Hiroyasu Gakusha</p><p> </p><p> Kyoichi Tsukata VS. Seto Cho</p><p> </p><p> Harumi Shinomori VS. Major Havok</p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Day 6 (Block B)</span></strong></p><p> Panther Tanimoto VS. Shadow Kabuto</p><p> </p><p> Daisuke Sato VS. Kazu Yoshizawa</p><p> </p><p> Mike Barstow VS. Yoshinaka Toshusai</p><p> </p><p> Genei Konda VS. Yoshifusa Maeda</p><p> </p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>