5SSW: Heavy Is The Head

G0zjIMY.jpg

zNpkTjI.jpg

To move forward, we must first understand where we came from...

5 Star Supreme Wrestling is a company that has been around for nearly 40 years and has become known as the gold standard of the women's wrestling landscape. The best period in the company’s illustrious history was in the 1990s where the ‘Magic Three’ dominated the industry and put other women’s promotions out of business.

Times have not always been positive for the company, in recent years especially. The retirement of the legendary Magic Three, the ill-fated decision to join the modern Japan movement and the long term impact of the events of 2016 have led to some rough times in recent years.

Still the future is looking bright for the company, the leadership of Sensational Ogiwara combined with the booking skill of DEVIL Karube has led to the company really finding it’s stride again in recent years.

The roster is looking strong as they enter 2020 and the independent scene seems to have gone through a form of women’s revolution meaning there are plenty of exciting opportunities for the company to develop.

G0zjIMY.jpg

Starting Champions

oydPdRD.jpg

E0pbdGM.jpg

5SSW World

Yuma Maruya (5th Reign)

Champion since: week 1 October 2019

Previous champions:

Shiori Jippensha

Megumi Nakajima

Yuma Maruya

JQHCvW8.jpg

5SSW All Asian

Miwako Katsuwaka (2nd reign)

Champion since: Week 1 September 2019

E2ySsBv.jpg

Previous champions:

Lady Lotus

Miwako Katsuwaka

Lady Lotus

H1sRRMs.jpg

LKsCJJ6.jpgOs984be.jpg

5SSW Tag Team

The Uprising - Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte

Champions since: Week 1 December 2019

The TermiNation (Unstoppable Tai & Toku Kijmuta)

All Business (Raku Makuda & Tomoko Nagatsuka)

The TermiNation (Unstoppable Tai & Toku Kijmuta)

Annual Events

j2jxeXP.jpgBMiKXqh.jpg

G0zjIMY.jpg

5SSW HQ, Tokyo

yqp9ESy.jpg

It’s roughly 2am. Everybody else has long gone home. On the surface 5SSW is just going through a slight transition in looking for a new booker. But this is far from a simple or easy task for the owner of the company.

Sensational Ogiwara is a woman that thrives under pressure. A nine-time world champion who carried the company as a wrestler and now as an owner. She is certainly not a stranger to feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders. But today has been a bit much even for her.

After a very successful working relationship after the last few years, Ogiwara was rocked earlier today by DEVIL Karube’s decision to take a hiatus from the business. Karube was vague about her reasoning and Ogiwara was smart enough not to risk damaging such a fruitful relationship that she hopes to call on in the future.

For now Owigara has to assess the potential candidates to take over. In the short term, Ogiwara will realistically have to finalise the plans for Reign Supreme before a new booker takes over. But Ogiwara knows she doesn’t have the time to run the company and book the shows, so she’ll need somebody in place before the Women of Wrestling tour begins.

There are a couple of different options for her to consider.

I2r9nMy.jpg

Option A: Kit Hatoyama

Probably the most obvious candidate. Kit has been with the company since the 1990s and has been working backstage for the last 11 years but Ogiwara has her doubts.

Hatoyama has been a vital cog in the 5 star machine in her current role, running the dojo and developing a string of talent that the company continues to reap the benefit from. Ogiwara has concerns that taking her out of that role could dismantle the youth recruitment system that they rely on.

In the past Hatoyama also suffered burn out as a wrestler and Ogiwara has concerns about her handling the stress of the booker role.

nTQSJ3n.jpg

Option B: Thunder Hike

Another member of the Golden Three and one hell of a worker. Hike retired in 2008 and has shown absolutely zero interest in returning to the business since. Ogiwara is reluctant to take the risk on somebody who has been out of the business for so long.

But in a promotion like 5SSW respect and seniority are everything. The veterans of the roster will be very reluctant to follow the leadership of anybody that hasn’t been there and done it for themselves. Ogiwara also has a personal bias to those that know the company, especially after the ill-fated modern Japan movement she is reluctant to trust anyone who doesn’t ‘get the company.’ This line of thought has pretty much disqualified any external candidates.

As Ogiwara reviews her two choices over and over, not really liking either, her thought process is interrupted by a knock at the door. Who else is here at this hour?

G0zjIMY.jpg

5SSW HQ, Tokyo

yqp9ESy.jpg

A shadow is cast over Ogiwara by whoever is standing in the doorway as she glances up and a smile appears on her face.

“You were always last in the gym, makes sense you’re last in the office.” Having to crouch to get in the door, in steps Crusher Ichihara. Ogiwara’s long-time rival is probably the last person she expected to walk in the door but she’s excited to see her friend.

vCYAyAO.jpg

“and you must have the wrong place, we’re a wrestling company. You must be looking for the retirement home.” Ogiwara quips as she stands up and embraces her in a hug. “So what brings you here at…” she pauses to check the time “2:47am.”

“Karube called… and called… and called. She felt I should come back in the short term and help out. I told her you wouldn’t need me but-“ Ichihara gestures to the emptiness of the booking sheet on the desk.

“You haven’t exactly shown an interest in returning in the past, why now?” Ogiwara asks sceptically.

“Well I will admit I was enjoying being away but you know this business always pulls you back. Plus Karube has been in contact with me a lot recently asking for advice, she didn’t always take it. Then again I seem to recall last time we spoke I advised you against the ‘Modern Japan-“ Ichihara stops as Ogiwara shakes her head.

“Alright well we don’t need to go down that road again. You really want to come home? You know it’s not an easy job and once we hold a press conference we have to stick with it.” Ogiwara says.

“I spent a couple hundred nights a year tearing down buildings with you, I think I can handle holding a pen.” Icihara retorts with a smirk.

“Alright I guess we’re doing this. Well let’s get to planning.” Ogiwara turns back to business.

“Fine, let’s see what you have planned for Reign Supreme, I’ve been sketching up some ideas on the way here. We can at least plant a few seeds…”

G0zjIMY.jpg

zNpkTjI.jpg

yqp9ESy.jpgvCYAyAO.jpgE0pbdGM.jpg

Crusher Ichihara returns!

As 5SSW gear up for the Reign Supreme show attentions have been pulled away from the in ring action and towards the booking position. Sensational Ogiwara unveiled her former rival Crusher Ichihara as the new head booker of the company at the pre-show press conference. The pair were reluctant to answer too many questions about the office rather trying to direct attention to the in-ring action.

Ichihara said that 5SSW are on an exciting trajectory and she is delighted to have returned home and to get to be a part of it. She frequently put over the champion but warned her that a former champion like HEART Saitoh is going to prove a hard task.

It’s unclear if Ichihara has had any involvement in this show with most being put together by former booker DEVIL Karube. Regardless fans are excited to get a look at the direction that 5SSW may be heading.

G0zjIMY.jpg

5SSW Reign Supreme Quick Picks

Paige Croft vs Yu Hashimoto vs Eri Saito vs Shiori Jippensha

5SSW Triangle Championship: MAYA © vs Otsune Tsumura vs Lady Lotus

5SSW Tag Team Championship: The Uprising (Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte) © vs Team SUB (Chiyeko Kita & Etsuko Arihyoshi)

5SSW All Asian Championship: Miwako Katsukawa © vs Yukiko Mastumara

5SSW World: Yuma Maruya © vs HEART Saitoh

5SSW Triangle Championship: MAYA (C) vs Otsune Tsumura vs Lady Lotus

5SSW Tag Team Championship: The Uprising (Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte) © vs Team SUB (Chiyeko Kita & Etsuko Arihyoshi)

<p>Paige Croft vs <strong>Yu Hashimoto</strong> vs Eri Saito vs Shiori Jippensha</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

5SSW Triangle Championship: <strong>MAYA ©</strong> vs Otsune Tsumura vs Lady Lotus</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

5SSW Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Uprising (Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte)</strong> © vs Team SUB (Chiyeko Kita & Etsuko Arihyoshi)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

5SSW All Asian Championship: <strong>Miwako Katsukawa ©</strong> vs Yukiko Mastumara</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

5SSW World: <strong>Yuma Maruya ©</strong> vs HEART Saitoh</p>

G0zjIMY.jpg

zNpkTjI.jpg

5SSW Reign Supreme

Friday Week 1 January

Wq2UZwT.jpg VS 5Sc9V2x.jpg VS VMxglVS.jpg VS 6b8KOva.jpg

An interesting mixture of styles that was a fascinating way to open the first 5SSW show of 2020. High flyers and more technical wrestlers created a match that got the crowd into the show.

Shiori Jippensha showed a nastier streak than she has shown in the last few years and the former 4 time world champion was able to demonstrate why she is known as “The Excellence of Execution.” The match came to an abrupt end when Shioro locked in a Jippensha Lock on Paige Croft to earn a submission victory.

Winner: Shiori Jippensha

Match time: 16:29

Rating: 61

G0zjIMY.jpg

bLSor7L.jpg

M9H7oYO.jpgVS 70NFcyq.jpg VS 0VgekkC.jpg

The Triangle championship has been a subject of discussion amongst 5SSW fans, some not seeing the value of a title and others calling it completely unimportant. Well tell that to these three wrestlers.

The champion MAYA had the crowd firmly behind her going into the match, the bubbly fun champion’s natural charisma shined through.

The match was wrestled at the high speed that the belt has become synonymous with the title. Lady Lotus was able to claim the Triangle Championship.

Winner: Lady Lotus (new champion!)

Match Time: 14:17

Rating: 57

G0zjIMY.jpg

H1sRRMs.jpg

LKsCJJ6.jpgOs984be.jpgVS aFh6S6E.jpgLOXG8oQ.jpg

As the only Gaijin’s on the roster that are holding gold, The Uprising have previously spoken about feeling the need to prove themselves every time they step in a 5 Star ring and they were clearly out to do that in this match.

The Uprising were up against stiff competition in the equally abrasive Team SUB. The match was as hard hitting as one might expect, the two teams both seemed to relish in in the brutal nature of the affair.

Neither team gave an inch until Talia Quinzel hit Kita with a Rising Tide to secure the 3 count.

Winner: Talia Quinzel – The Uprising (Retains)

Match time: 19:34

Rating: 62

G0zjIMY.jpg

LKsCJJ6.jpgOs984be.jpg

KZsvTrt.jpgoFncQSM.jpg

After the match the champions hold their gold aloft but are blindsided by Fuyuko Higa and Gemmei Oonishi who lay them out. Higa is sporting a new look and her mannerisms seem completely different to what the fans are used to.

She is also guiding Oonishi’s attack not like a tag team partner but rather somebody with authority of control over her. Higa bashes Quinzel over the head with a cane with a skull on the top of it.

Segment Rating: 45

G0zjIMY.jpg

JQHCvW8.jpg

E2ySsBv.jpgVS Vdn1bMW.jpg

During the last year of her tenure in the company, DEVIL Karube spoke in a lot of press conferences about the All Asian Championship needing to establish itself as much more than the after thought it has been. The company seems to still be focused on that with the title getting the co-main event billing ahead of the tag titles.

The big billing didn’t seem to completely catch the imagination of the crowd and they were relatively quiet certainly in contrast to the tag title match.

Katsuwaka seemed visibly frustrated by the lack of energy from the crowd, frequently gesturing to them and seemingly taking that out on Matsumara. Yukiko put up a valiant fight but the lucha inspired wrestler was ultimately unsuccessful.

Winner: Mikawa Katsukawa (Retains)

Match time: 15:07

Rating: 57

G0zjIMY.jpg

oydPdRD.jpg

E0pbdGM.jpgVS 6KQFX2G.jpg

HEART Saitoh has been an underdog her entire career, even as a former world champion she has been the perennial outsider in the world title scene but after a strong second half of 2019, Saitoh had an opportunity to earn back the title she lost four years ago but Maruya was going to be anything but easy competition.

The match started slow these two have faced each other before in a world title match with Maruya coming out on top and Saitoh was well aware of that fact. But before long it sped up with both working an impressive tempo.

It all came to an abrupt end when Maruya hit an impressive split legged moonsault to secure a three count.

Winner: Yuma Maruya (Retains)

Match time: 19:47

Rating: 63

G0zjIMY.jpg

E0pbdGM.jpg

After the match Yuma Maruya headed backstage to the interview area to discuss the main event with the press officers. Maruya praised Saitoh as a valiant opponent and called it a privilege to share the ring with her.

Maruya is also looking to the future, she says there are so many talented wrestlers on the roster and plenty she is excited to prove herself again.

Maruya then went on to remark that the company may be going through a period of transition or a new era but she signed off with the promise of a new decade, new era, same champion.

Rating: 59

Show rating: 61

Attendance 345

G0zjIMY.jpg

5SSW Reign Supreme Quick Results

Shiori Jippensha def Paige Croft, Yu Hashimoto & Eri Saito

5SSW Triangle Championship: Lady Lotus def MAYA © & Otsune Tsumura New Champion

5SSW Tag Team Championship: The Uprising (Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte) © def Team SUB (Chiyeko Kita & Etsuko Arihyoshi)

5SSW All Asian Championship: Miwako Katsukawa © def Yukiko Mastumara

5SSW World: Yuma Maruya © def HEART Saitoh

G0zjIMY.jpg

Prediction Results

Historian 4/5

Stretch 3/5

KyTeran 3/5

Thanks to everybody who predicted on the first show. Appreciate predicting the first show with no real build up is quite difficult, as is booking it!

Planted a few seeds for where things are going and the preview for the Women of Wrestling tour will be coming soon :)

As someone who got reasonably far into a 5SSW diary, I've gotta say that its a good enough start, but some of these renders......eesh.

The renders themselves aren't bad, but to me some of these new ones would suit characters more in the vein of generic young lions wearing singlets here to get their asses kicked, rather than the images in ones mind the game gives you about these characters through ratings and backstory.

5SSW to me comes off as going through a transition from the early 1990s Crush Gals-esque top babyfaces are all-heart tomboys taking on big tough and scary women era (which was Ogiwara and Thunder Hike vs Crusher Ichihara and June Butler to me), to more of a modern day pretty idol girls who give you pretty smiles as they spinkick your teeth down your throat, in the vein of Kairi Sane and Io Shirai today (and represented by girls like Yuma Maruya, Miwako Katsukawa, Gemmei Oonishi, etc.). Katsukawa's render for this is really egregious imo, her hair is barely even purple! Not a bad render for a CVerse gen really, hell I'll probably swipe it and add it to free pics, but Katsukawa's gotta look like the cool and spicy gal that schoolgirls nationwide would worship in secret from their strict authoritarian parents, yknow?

Other than that, some pretty interesting decisions involving the titles. That Lady Lotus Triangle title win had me chuckling, because I had put together a running gag with her in my diary about how in multi-woman matches she would always turn on potential allies in 2-on-1 situations, even when it wasn't in her best interests to do so, because she simply couldn't help herself. She sees back, she applies dagger to it.

Hi PuroJoshi!

I like the format for the show, with the winner, time and rating on the side in bold being really clear and overall giving a clean look to the card.

I see what White Dolphin says about some of the new renders. So, I would advise that it is your task as the diary writer to take the readers on a journey to book these wrestlers in the way that fits the pictures you have given them.

I know from trying to find c-verse joshi pics for a private L2G game with Winnow, that it must have taken a fair chunk of time to find the pictures that you wanted to get for these characters! This is your chance to present them how they appear in your vision :)

I'm happy to work together to discuss booking ideas / discuss characters if you want it, just send me a pm!

G0zjIMY.jpg

zNpkTjI.jpg

vCYAyAO.jpg

5SSW Tour Begins

5 Star Supreme Wrestling is kicking off it’s Women of Wrestling tour next week and as is becoming tradition, Crusher Ichihara was from diplomatic in promoting the tour and the final event. The legendary figure said she wanted to see who would step up to face Yuma Maruya for the world title but her attention was more focused on the other singles titles and she had a rather shocking announcement.

Ichihara claimed that her main aim for the foreseeable future is to see the company establish a true second championship. She then went on to accuse both Katsuwaka & the various champions that have held the triangle championship of failing to raise one into a natural second. For this reason Ichihara has announced that we will see the All Asian champion vs the Triangle champion in a title unification bout.

When asked about the state of the tag team champions after the attack of Higa & Oonishi. Ichihara simply smirked, clearly not totally disapproving of the chaos that the pair created.

In other news three young lions will be joining the roster. A legacy tag team consisting of Akari Kawashima & HEART Koiso. Ai Takami, a 26 year old wrestler who has been making waves on the independent scene in recent months. Ichihara also announced that legendary south American wrestler Conception Gomez, the Chilean grappler has signed up for one tour with an optional second.

I'm happy to work together to discuss booking ideas / discuss characters if you want it, just send me a pm!

Thanks for the kind words and the constructive feedback Stretch, I may well take you up on that offer at some point. Likewise if you ever want to discuss anything regarding your diary, let's keep the Joshi flag flying high!

G0zjIMY.jpg

5SSW WoW Tour Quick Picks

5SSW Women of Wrestling Tour Night 1

Monster Ishimura vs Thea Davis

Ochiyo Lijima vs Conception Gomez

Maki Yoshifumi & Yu Hashimoto vs HEART Koiso & Akari Kawashima

HEART Saitoh vs Yukiko Matsumara

Miwako Katsuwaka, Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte vs Lady Lotus, Fuyuka Higa & Gemmei Oonishi

5SSW Women of Wrestling Tour Night 2

Paige Croft vs Kinuye Mashabito

Ai Takami vs Romi Yamato

5SSW Triangle Championship: Lady Lotus © vs Machiko Matsuda vs Kaede Sugiyama

Talia Quinzel vs Gemmei Oonishi

Yuma Maruya, HEART Saitoh & MAYA vs Megumi Nakajima, Toku Kijimuta & Unstoppable Tai

Miwako Katsuwaka, Talia Quinzel & Selina Svelte vs Lady Lotus, Fuyuka Higa & Gemmei Oonishi

Ai Takami vs Romi Yamato

Yuma Maruya, HEART Saitoh & MAYA vs Megumi Nakajima, Toku Kijimuta & Unstoppable Tai

Ai Takami vs Romi Yamato