Time to finally upgrade the forums?

Hey, guys, I have been battling issues with this forum for a few months now. Version 3.6.8 uses older versions of MySQL (max 5.1) and PHP (5.2.X) so I have to use a very old OS for our server.

I wanted to ask you guys for your opinions. Later version of VBulletin seem pretty buggy when upgrading, so it seems we would need to go to phpBB or Invision Community.

So it seems the options are to find a way to move our current board to a new server (I'm over our current hosting company), or look at migrating to phpBB or Invision Community.

If any of you guys have experience in this area or have ideas, please let me know. And thank you for all your guys' support and understanding!

Arlie

Another forum I visit uses Invision and it seems like very stable and easy to use! It's also way better looking than other vBulletin and phpBB forums that I know of.

Agree on this about Invision. I was poking around a few other forums I poke my head into at times and they're both powered by Invision, the layout is super easy to navigate and very readable!

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to see we're looking into updating. Working in the web hosting industry, I can tell you the problems won't stop due to the outdated software and OS.

Regarding forum software, Invision and phpBB are the top names. Personally, I've always like Simple Machines Forum, though I haven't used it in some time.

I look forward to see where this goes and hope it increases the usability of the forums.

Oh, one more thing. For the love of Ric Flair, please put an SSL Certificate on the site. There are free options though Let's Encrypt that will work perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a good amount of experience with phpBB but I haven’t personally used it on a back-end level in probably 4 years — but I’m happy to help advise and also coordinate some people for you (I have a team of developers that I trust). Will DM.

I have the same issue Dalton. Any thread I want to keep track of, I never get any notifications on new updates on the threads.

Yeah, this kills a lot of the real meaningful interaction… not to mention I can’t even see images inline for some reason.

TEW is such an incredible game and the official forums for it and the other franchises of games definitely deserve better.

phpBB is nice because it’s super customizable, it’s self-hosted, and it feels modern.

Have you tried to troubleshoot the notification issues? What’s up with images not loading? Is that just me/my settings or?

What’s up with images not loading? Is that just me/my settings or?

Click User CP near the top of the page. Click "Edit Options" on the left hand side. Scroll down and make sure "Show Images" is ticked. Sometimes it's unticked by default for some strange reason.