Import Attributes

Clarify this for me, just because I want to be sure I'm recognizing what you're suggesting.

-- Currently, if I want to pull a worker from one database into another one, that worker comes with the attributes they are assigned in the second database. For example, if I want to import Kevin Von Erich from the database The Big Bang into the database WCW Lives, it will import Von Erich, his work history, his attributes, skills, etc.

-- You're suggesting that if I build Kevin Von Erich in my WCW Lives database, I could just import his attributes from The Big Bang database.

Is this right?

St.T

21 hours ago, St. Templar said:

Clarify this for me, just because I want to be sure I'm recognizing what you're suggesting.

The way the game currently works means that all Attributes are tied to the worker. And, converting a 2016 mod doesn't quite work that well. So if you were to make a database from scratch, or convert a 2016 mod, you would need to go through the (painful) process of setting all the Attributes.

If Attributes were separate from the worker, and worked like an importable asset, any mod maker could essentially make a huge database that could be used for other mods as freeware.

Edit: I do consider this kind of a misstep in making the game. I'm assuming that by tying it to the worker Adam wasn't aware of what that would do to the game until it was too late to be changed? I don't know. But I do think that this is such an annoyance that it deters people from modding, unfortunately.

Edited by BrokenCycle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrokenCycle said:

The way the game currently works means that all Attributes are tied to the worker. And, converting a 2016 mod doesn't quite work that well. So if you were to make a database from scratch, or convert a 2016 mod, you would need to go through the (painful) process of setting all the Attributes.

If Attributes were separate from the worker, and worked like an importable asset, any mod maker could essentially make a huge database that could be used for other mods as freeware.

Edit: I do consider this kind of a misstep in making the game. I'm assuming that by tying it to the worker Adam wasn't aware of what that would do to the game until it was too late to be changed? I don't know. But I do think that this is such an annoyance that it deters people from modding, unfortunately.

Okay. That all makes sense. Good idea, then.

Thanks for explaining.

St.T

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:35 PM, BrokenCycle said:

On 9/5/2022 at 11:40 PM, St. Templar said:

Okay. That all makes sense. Good idea, then.

Thanks for explaining.

St.T

BrokenCycle has the crux of it, yes. Basically, if attributes for a worker were treated as a "set" rather than individually added to workers, it would drastically cut down modding time. 

Basically, attributes should be treated like moves. Each move set has moves, and the move set can be imported to be tied to a worker. Replace "move set" with "attribute set" and "moves" with "attributes" and that's what I am suggesting. It would save HOURS of modding time.