A thread to discuss the public beta

It's for balance; there needs to be something to make you think twice about aggressively going after a ranged opponent as they'll often be very vulnerable to melee so you're getting a major advantage most of the time.

Whereas creating distance is much more of a defensive move and there's already an in-built penalty to failing in that you're stuck in a (presumably) bad position.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I finished the trial a couple of time and really like what the game has to offer.

I thought of some quick changes that can be made to improve quality of life :

- The ability to filter free powers and powers with cost (I guess we all use the free powers before the powers with cost). This will be easier to spot them.

- When doing puzzle, I check the profiles a lot and tend to forget which heroes used their action. Can we have a confirmation like in the battles ?

- Fight with too much Heroes and Vilains are too long to play. Could we have an option to limit the maximum of characters in a fight (like 5 vs 5 max) ?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english 😅

• Like 2

Played a couple of times through the demo, captures the "simulation" aspect of the world in a much better way than CBH and in a way reminiscent of WMMA/TEW, so expect I will be getting lots of hours in here. That said, a couple of things I noticed:

• Lots of characters appeared to ignore their "will not work for x/will work only for close allies and associates" rule on the villain side. I had Michael Mordred assisted by The Abominable Showman, amongst others
  • There's no way to track changes that occurred during "meanwhile" events that I could find after you move to the next issue - is there a log I'm missing where I can go back and see the "meanwhile" events of prior issues, or a way to include that in the issue log?

Looking forward to the full version!

• Like 1

Played several issues now and I am loving the game! I especially like how deliberate the battles are now. It makes things more interesting than just a click-fest where you are not really invested. That said, I wish I could have more interaction between the characters, or more storyline driven gameplay. Maybe I need to adjust the tables to put more in, or maybe my limited play just hasn't come to that yet. Just feel I am not getting to "know" or care about any of these people like I did in CBH.

The tables and actions are laid out nicely and clear. From the journal I've read all about the customization potential, which should be one of the best assets of the game. I can't wait to really mess with that. Here are a few suggestions I have after limited play:

1. There doesn't seem to be (that I can find) a way to save mid-issue. In the combat containing several people on each side, gameplay can get long. Which I am okay with! But I would like the option to save and come back to the fight if need be. The more save opportunities, the better. Kids and life and whatnot. 
  2. Please consider changing the "News" section when it comes to characters from previous issues. Characters recently impacted by gameplay have their change described as "due to consequence roll". This takes away the immersion. These people are injured "due to a recent fight" or whatever happened in the issue. The other "News" items (moving to cities, for example) don't mention the game mechanics. Neither should the characters we were just playing as. Keep the story (not the roll) in the "News" section, please. 
  3. Maybe this one is nit-picky, but there are times when my Hero gets dealt a blow that will knock them out... but the game first tells me they will be stunned next turn. Duh, they are going to be knocked out. The "Stun" resolution/notice happens before the damage resolution. But maybe there was a way to bypass the "Stun" notification when the knock-out is inevitable.

Just my opinions so far. I will definitely be buying the full version and hope to play more of the trial through the week. Thank you for all your work!

Edited by SamFedora
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheKenwyne said:
  • There's no way to track changes that occurred during "meanwhile" events that I could find after you move to the next issue - is there a log I'm missing where I can go back and see the "meanwhile" events of prior issues, or a way to include that in the issue log?

No, they're not logged as they're not really part of any issue. I can try and squeeze them into the Past Issue section as extra info.

4 hours ago, SamFedora said:

Maybe this one is nit-picky, but there are times when my Hero gets dealt a blow that will knock them out... but the game first tells me they will be stunned next turn. Duh, they are going to be knocked out. The "Stun" resolution/notice happens before the damage resolution. But maybe there was a way to bypass the "Stun" notification when the knock-out is inevitable.

That wouldn't be viable because the stun has to happen before any damage is dealt, so the game can't know how much damage is ultimately going to occur (as reducers might be dependent on a die roll) and therefore can't know if a knock out will happen either.

11 hours ago, TheKenwyne said:
  • Lots of characters appeared to ignore their "will not work for x/will work only for close allies and associates" rule on the villain side. I had Michael Mordred assisted by The Abominable Showman, amongst others

I'm not seeing this at my end. Are you sure that you understand that those settings only affect villain schemes? It's perfectly acceptable for Mordred and Showman to be on the same side in a heroic quest, for example, as Showman isn't working for Mordred in that context, they're merely both opposing a hero.

7 hours ago, SamFedora said:
  1. Please consider changing the "News" section when it comes to characters from previous issues. Characters recently impacted by gameplay have their change described as "due to consequence roll". This takes away the immersion. These people are injured "due to a recent fight" or whatever happened in the issue. The other "News" items (moving to cities, for example) don't mention the game mechanics. Neither should the characters we were just playing as. Keep the story (not the roll) in the "News" section, please. 

This has now been done.

14 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

I'm not seeing this at my end. Are you sure that you understand that those settings only affect villain schemes? It's perfectly acceptable for Mordred and Showman to be on the same side in a heroic quest, for example, as Showman isn't working for Mordred in that context, they're merely both opposing a hero.

That was the case looking back at the log, yes, apologies for the misunderstanding. Could I make a suggestion that the game is biased towards pulling in relevant stooges for villains where possible, since the encounter I was referring to was a "kidnap" and the eclectic mix of baddies around Mordred made it seem like he as a) expecting it and b) had organised an international criminal symposium to put a halt to the endeavour. The full compliment of villains in this encounter was as follows, none of whom seem like they are particularly likely to just be hanging around guarding Mordred:
The Abominable Showman, Michael Mordred (target), Princess Corral, Vortex, Grand Knight Assay, Medusa, Vexxer Daemonchild.

My side, for comparison (unedited from the AI's suggestion), was a mixture of Albion based characters and lower tier travelling guys (none of the characters offered were at the star limit of 9 for the encounter):

King Arthur (quest origin), Granite Man, White Rose, Darvin the Monster Hunter, UnstoppaBull, Sgt Steel, Dragon of the Valleys, Flashing Blade  

Of course, if this particular fight was just incredible unusual then I'll be quiet, but if every quest is going to be a rogue's gallery of baddies from across multiple factions I can imagine things starting to feel samey more quickly (rather than specifically fighting Mordred with various Albion based stooges one issue, and then The House of Amass or The Circus Aberrant next, rather than stumbling into the Tower of London and coming across representatives of two unrelated major villainous factions, and several other "monster of the week" tier solo enemies judging from their descriptions. 

I was trying Champion difficulty, if that effects villain selection than maybe I'll steer clear of that difficulty level for a bit.

Re: meanwhile... logging, as someone that loves to look back on the development of a universe I'd be appreciative of that if possible.

15 hours ago, Sejoten said:

The ability to filter free powers and powers with cost (I guess we all use the free powers before the powers with cost). This will be easier to spot them.

17 hours ago, Thane of Fife said:

When selecting powers in a fight or puzzle, you can have it filter between passive and active powers, but it would be nice to be able to more easily view powers that require an action vs those that don't (either by having another filter option or by having multiple lists).

To confirm, this suggestion has been added.

• Thanks 3

Loving it so far. 

Messing around with attempted mods and have a few questions/suggestions around the status of a character. 

Is there anywhere to make it more obvious on quick scan of the characters which ones are deceased/recovering/jailed e.t.c? You click on a character at the moment and it's sort of just there as part of the heading rather than a more obvious symbol or more prominent text? Likewise for the non-active status is there a way to find out why they're in that state from the character sheet or do you have to and hunt though the issues?

Thanks! Looking forward to buying it when it comes on sale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Loving it so far. 

Messing around with attempted mods and have a few questions/suggestions around the status of a character. 

Is there anywhere to make it more obvious on quick scan of the characters which ones are deceased/recovering/jailed e.t.c? You click on a character at the moment and it's sort of just there as part of the heading rather than a more obvious symbol or more prominent text? Likewise for the non-active status is there a way to find out why they're in that state from the character sheet or do you have to and hunt though the issues?

Thanks! Looking forward to buying it when it comes on sale. 

I can capitalise their status if it's not active to make it stand out if that'd help?

No, there's no way to see why they're in a specific state other than looking up their last appearance (although obviously it'll almost always be either because they got knocked out or, rarely, because a storyline did it).

I mentioned this in the dynasty thread, but just a suggestion. PLEASE make Combat Wombat and Midnight Fox's Henchmen Takedown ability  the Wombo Combo (or the Combo Wombo)

Small thing, but I can just see Midnight Fox and Combat Wombat taking down the bad guys

Midnight Fox cheering.. "Yes! WOMBO COMBO! Woo!"

Combat Wombat (eyes narrow like Batman) "We are NOT calling it the Wombo Combo..."

Midnight Fox "Well I AM!"

• Like 2

After spending some time in the editor just goofying around, I found in the Powers-Section of Character-Editing a whole section about gaining and spending Tokens. I looked it up in the handbook, but didn't found anything about that, so my question is: What are Tokens and how do they work in the game?

30 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

I can capitalise their status if it's not active to make it stand out if that'd help?

No, there's no way to see why they're in a specific state other than looking up their last appearance (although obviously it'll almost always be either because they got knocked out or, rarely, because a storyline did it).

Yeah the 2nd one isn't a big thing.

As for the capitalisation that would help? Maybe at the end of the headline info as well. So JAILED. I am guessing a different colour is a bigger task?

I am just thinking that you're having a cursory glance though the game world it would be help for inactive characters to stand out immediately. 

1 hour ago, LostInWeb said:

After spending some time in the editor just goofying around, I found in the Powers-Section of Character-Editing a whole section about gaining and spending Tokens. I looked it up in the handbook, but didn't found anything about that, so my question is: What are Tokens and how do they work in the game?

If you go back a page there's an answer regarding that subject in one of my replies.

• Thanks 1

I really like comics and have played quite a bit of CBH. So far I'm really enjoying CBU, I like how the focus now is on the "universe" rather than the "hero". I like the addition of "Artifacts" and how characters can have their own storylines or quests that may happen. I also like how if there's a huge battle (and like me you kinda suck at combat) you can have the AI take your turn. I also like being able to export and edit the text from the "Past issues" section. Would it be possible to make the text there editable in-game? image.png.9857c2b1de2cfe84ecd3a7b958462c9a.png

Like being able to change the text here from the generic rundown to something else? I think it'd better allow people to keep track of/create their own lore for past issues and storylines.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, herodude66 said:

I really like comics and have played quite a bit of CBH. So far I'm really enjoying CBU, I like how the focus now is on the "universe" rather than the "hero". I like the addition of "Artifacts" and how characters can have their own storylines or quests that may happen. I also like how if there's a huge battle (and like me you kinda suck at combat) you can have the AI take your turn. I also like being able to export and edit the text from the "Past issues" section. Would it be possible to make the text there editable in-game? image.png.9857c2b1de2cfe84ecd3a7b958462c9a.png

Like being able to change the text here from the generic rundown to something else? I think it'd better allow people to keep track of/create their own lore for past issues and storylines.

I can look into it, sure.

7 hours ago, landxx said:

anyone tried converting my mod  from cbh? i dont have acess to my pc right now , it would be intresting how well it converted to new game

I've converted my Mod (that I do plan on actually releasing this time...) and it's fine, but thanks to all the new things to do with health levels, powers and traits being renamable and having extra things like being able to hit multiple people or even just putting in damage amount, it really is a character-by-character thing if you want it to run properly. Thankfully you can clone just the Health or traits or schemes part of another character onto one your doing, which is going to prove handy when editing lots of grunts that while from different series are practically the same.

I've got an excel file where I've roughly planned out health and attack power in general that I'm now using across the board, so it should be smooth sailing from here, just time consuming because I keep thinking of a neat way I can use a power to represent something, or just rename a stat buff or health level to something series or character specific. That's not even touching items and storylines, which obviously don't have CBH equivalents. I wish this game was out five years ago when I was unemployed...

So basically if you converted the big Marvel 90s mod that was always floating about and then clicked to start a game it'd be okay but the damage and health levels will be off and none of the new interesting things will be active.

50 minutes ago, LostInWeb said:

In the handbook for dialogues there is a section about Targets, but there is no Targets-Option in the editor. Only Situation and Trigger.

Actually I meant to post about something similar myself. When I converted my database I look at "Opening Battle Cry" dialogue directed at someone that I'd already done from that game and it has a target drop box, but when I create a new Opening Battle Cry Dialogue I don't know how to make it target a specific person. I can see how to target when selecting other triggers like scoring a KO or attacking a person, but not for Opening Battle Cry.