A thread to discuss the public beta

1 hour ago, LostInWeb said:

In the handbook for dialogues there is a section about Targets, but there is no Targets-Option in the editor. Only Situation and Trigger.

8 minutes ago, Cold Cobra said:

Actually I meant to post about something similar myself. When I converted my database I look at "Opening Battle Cry" dialogue directed at someone that I'd already done from that game and it has a target drop box, but when I create a new Opening Battle Cry Dialogue I don't know how to make it target a specific person. I can see how to target when selecting other triggers like scoring a KO or attacking a person, but not for Opening Battle Cry.

Targets are only available if the type of dialogue makes sense. An opening battle cry can't have a target because it's just something that occurs at the start of a battle, it's not something that you're aiming at someone. If the dialogue is about the character knocking someone out then that can have a target because that makes sense in context; there's obviously two people involved in that situation.

You can see this very clearly in the editor where target only shows up for situations where it's contextually appropriate.

• Thanks 1

I like that we can pick a location and focus on it for the purposes of a given game, but I don't like that it's buried in the options menu. Could this option get incorporated into the New Game UI in the same way TEW does for promotions? For a lot of bigger databases, playing the whole world seems like it would just be overwhelming.

13 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

That wouldn't be viable because the stun has to happen before any damage is dealt, so the game can't know how much damage is ultimately going to occur (as reducers might be dependent on a die roll) and therefore can't know if a knock out will happen either.

I understand. Thanks for looking into all our thoughts!

10 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

This has now been done.

Awesome! I appreciate it. Looking forward to playing more.

Question regarding AI. It seems like the game is always targeting one character over others. Is that a game design issue? It seems to me that Comic Book battles are more generally pairs seperating and battling, not one side dogpiling on one person and then the otherside doing the same

On 10/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, Adam Ryland said:

It's for balance; there needs to be something to make you think twice about aggressively going after a ranged opponent as they'll often be very vulnerable to melee so you're getting a major advantage most of the time.

Whereas creating distance is much more of a defensive move and there's already an in-built penalty to failing in that you're stuck in a (presumably) bad position.

I guess I see what you mean. That seems reasonable during most fights; in my limited experience thus far, I thought it started to feel a little weird towards the end of a fight, when you might have two or three melee characters trying to corral one or two ranged characters.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not asking you to change anything, I'm just commenting.

9 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

To confirm, this suggestion has been added.

That sounds great, thanks.

10 hours ago, landxx said:

anyone tried converting my mod  from cbh? i dont have acess to my pc right now , it would be intresting how well it converted to new game

My impression is that it does an okay job with attributes, but it seems to lose pretty much all distinction in ability scores and powers (beyond names). Those all seem to go to fairly generic values.

Edited by Thane of Fife

Not sure if this should be here or in the suggestions thread:

When selecting Multiple entries, especially in team select screen, it's very confusing to figure out who's been selected and who hasn't. Can we do something like put a * next to the people who are currently selected, so we don't have to select each hero if we forget from the main screen who's selected already?

edit Midnight Fox's Plucky Teen Hero power asks you to select "up to 0 targets" to give a reroll, I don't think it needs a selection screen because it's a self-target, correct?

10 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

Targets are only available if the type of dialogue makes sense. An opening battle cry can't have a target because it's just something that occurs at the start of a battle, it's not something that you're aiming at someone. If the dialogue is about the character knocking someone out then that can have a target because that makes sense in context; there's obviously two people involved in that situation.

You can see this very clearly in the editor where target only shows up for situations where it's contextually appropriate.

I have to disagree there, plenty of times in CBH I've used the opening battle cry to signify someone's rival being on the opposite side of the battle that's about to begin, be it a shout of anger or a snide villain taunt about his nemesis showing up again. Like special intros in fighting games, basically.

1 hour ago, Cold Cobra said:

I have to disagree there, plenty of times in CBH I've used the opening battle cry to signify someone's rival being on the opposite side of the battle that's about to begin, be it a shout of anger or a snide villain taunt about his nemesis showing up again. Like special intros in fighting games, basically.

I have altered opening battle cries to allow this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djthefunkchris said:

Is there a way we can make it so there's more ways to get to an area (or location) ... For example, get to another known planet, You can have power : Space Flight, OR Power: Teleportation (IE: Motherbox, Infinity Stone, Bifrost Bridge, etc.). 

There's no way I can do that in time for release day, but if you put it in the Suggestions forum I should be able to patch it in relatively quickly post-release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tarislan said:

Question regarding AI. It seems like the game is always targeting one character over others. Is that a game design issue? It seems to me that Comic Book battles are more generally pairs seperating and battling, not one side dogpiling on one person and then the otherside doing the same

Targeting is contextual, so it would depend on the situation; focus-firing a specific threat is sometimes the only appropriate response, other times spreading out the damage is. I can certainly tweak it if necessary, but testing hasn't shown that they're "always" piling on one character.

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for your new good game that we are waiting for a long time after CBH...

I have tested your beta and i can already say it is a good game and i can say i will buy your new game.

I have succeded to import my cbh mods and it a very good thing.

I have already some remarks :

1) no picture or link to a civil information in the window of fight event for example  with civil involved.

When i played there was an issue where bad guy attack a civil people and you have to fight theses bad guy. It seems that only the name of civil guy display in the windows and there is no picture of this civil guy and even no link (by clicking its name) to access to civil guy  information. In CBH you can do that and also the civil picture seems not be used (except probably for custom change or change alignement).

It could be good to access by link (if there is not enough place to add picture).

2) seem no picture or link for artefac in the hero information in the game (only in the artefact information it self).

Some hero have new power from an artfect and you see its new power but we do not see a picture or a link to the artefacts the guy got.

3) important suggestion to add very simple sound when you click on a button or a success or fail windows appear with a option to mute these sound.

It is the same suggestion than for CBH,  because  we need a sound when we click on a button to be sure that the command succed (so time there is a small delay between the click and the windows appear) but  also to have a "living game" and not a mute one.

I know it is a comic book game but when i read a comic i like the sound of "scratch" paper when i turn up the pages for example. Even for a pen and paper game you have the sound of the throw dices (like your game) and the sound of the pen writing and updating caracters papers etc...

So in your game it could be super cool to have the sound of a page turn for the click on button by example and when a success happen an aplause sound a for a failure a sad sound etc...

Of course we do not need music because we can add it our own in with background sound software as  vlc or other tools.

4) add cbu in steam

I have bought and discoverd your CBH game by steam because in france we do not know well original game directly from country we bought them by steam or shop..

There is still now topics about cbh so many people from other can buy and discoverd your game.

Sorry for my bad english but i am a french guy...

Best regards,

Edited by actarus1969
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, herodude66 said:

I really like comics and have played quite a bit of CBH. So far I'm really enjoying CBU, I like how the focus now is on the "universe" rather than the "hero". I like the addition of "Artifacts" and how characters can have their own storylines or quests that may happen. I also like how if there's a huge battle (and like me you kinda suck at combat) you can have the AI take your turn. I also like being able to export and edit the text from the "Past issues" section. Would it be possible to make the text there editable in-game? image.png.9857c2b1de2cfe84ecd3a7b958462c9a.png

Like being able to change the text here from the generic rundown to something else? I think it'd better allow people to keep track of/create their own lore for past issues and storylines.

I've added this in for you; you can't do it directly from that screen, but it has been added to the editor in the Options menu.

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:19 PM, Sejoten said:

- When doing puzzle, I check the profiles a lot and tend to forget which heroes used their action. Can we have a confirmation like in the battles ?

I can't do it exactly like the combat screen as the space is different, but I've altered it so that their names will show "(used action)" if you've used them.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I can honestly say, I'm enjoying this game very much. From the gameplay to the editor, I'm having alot of fun with it.

Interface: Looks a lot like the TEW2020 and WMMA5 interface, which is a good thing. Simple and uncluttered. Perfect. I very much enjoy the Past Issues part of it and I look forward to the next patch where Meanwhile content will be added to it.

Combat System: It was getting used to for sure, but once I got the hang of it, it works great. A few bugs and errors here and there, but looking at the upcoming patch, all of the bugs and errors I've seen will be fixed. The Puzzle part of it was also something to get used to, but again works great and is more fun then I initially thought it would be (I'm more of a combat only type of guy lol).

Editor: Again, looks a lot like TEW2020. In my opinion, TEW2020 has the greatest pre-game editor of any text-based game I've played, so to see a version of it (of course, making the context relevant to this game) is absolutely something that makes me happy. I love the Reactive Events and Storyline part of it and I think it has a lot of potential for database makers to really show their creativity. I do have a few suggestions, especially for Reactive Events/Storylines, which I'll post in the suggestions thread later this week.

Kudos to Adam and GDS for this game. Definitely a day 1 buy for me next Saturday!

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Short question about Storylines and Reactive Events: In the Database Details there is the Issue Content Dice Table, where I can find the option Storyline, but nothing on the Reactive Events. Are they included in that option or fall Reactive Events under Game Universe Progression or something completely different?

24 minutes ago, LostInWeb said:

Short question about Storylines and Reactive Events: In the Database Details there is the Issue Content Dice Table, where I can find the option Storyline, but nothing on the Reactive Events. Are they included in that option or fall Reactive Events under Game Universe Progression or something completely different?

I'd recommend you read the help file on the subject as they're described in quite a lot of detail there; the short version is that they're not a content type, they're something that happens after an issue in reaction (hence the name) to a certain state being true.

4 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

I'd recommend you read the help file on the subject as they're described in quite a lot of detail there; the short version is that they're not a content type, they're something that happens after an issue in reaction (hence the name) to a certain state being true.

Okay, I just read through the issue content and found nothing on it.
So if I understand it correctly, a Reactive Event will automatically trigger, when all requirements are fullfilled or will the game just choose one if more than that could be triggered? Like, the game just triggers the first one in the Database that fullfills all requirements and for the next, it would be at the end of the next issue.

I'm asking that, because I want to avoid that all Reactive Events are triggered at once.

11 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

They would all trigger.

If you search the handbook for "reactive events" you will find the appropriate information.

A thought about that: since I find it a bit unclear, I guess others may find it a bit unclear too. Maybe you could expand the first paragraph in the handbook with "and all valid Reactive Events will be triggered at the end of the issue" or something like that to make it clearer.

Maybe the same would be good in the storyline-section, since it's not clear there if only one storyline can progress at a time or if it progresses all valid.

I guess, the old rule applies here: "Always imagine the most stupid user possible (in this case me) and make everything as clear as possible for them."

Only one storyline could trigger by the nature of how content works. I'll make the requested change to the handbook.

I'd also recommend that you take a look at some of the default storylines and reactive events via the editor; I get the impression that you're really overthinking this system, I think if you see them in place it might help you get a handle on them. For example, although all valid reactive events do launch, there's plenty of ways to set it up the requirements so that you stop big cascades of content (such as limiting it to certain issues, for example).