DIW 2023: The Secret Millionaire

I agree @christmas_ape that it could make for an interesting dynamic. Mayhem Mulhoney is the easy option as in this mod he left because The Comedian wanted him to retire after a concussion but he wasn't ready so, if he decides to hang them up, we could bring him home for his last match. But as you say, if someone becomes available who left on bad terms, that could be more fun. I think you're right too about less deadwood @AboardTheArk. There are only two people left on the roster who I don't really see any value in, so I need to prioritise upgrading them.

Thanks so much to both of you and everyone else who has commented or liked for reading, and thanks again to @lavelleuk for the Alternative CornellVerse 2022 Mod.

Part 50: Extra extreme

It was funny to think back to the same time in 2022 and how hard I thought I had it when, on reflection, all I’d really had to deal with were a few stubborn men. By contrast, in 2023, I got the full DIW experience, waving off some of my closest and most talented colleagues. Lou Brookmyre, Gyula Lakatos and Blitz Simpson had left, with CEW owner Gerard Knights taking revenge on me for saying no to him by bringing in two of my top blokes to job for him.

Still, I’m sure other bookers would laugh at my complaints as I’d had it easy on the whole. The company had inherited a few million dollars, we’d got ourselves onto WrestleWorld Australia, we had a fairly content locker room and plenty of talent still in it, with fresh matches seemingly in prospect for 2024 like Rob Edwards v Cesar Sionis and Two Badass MFers v The Benchmark. Oh, about 2024. Let’s rewind to my last words in the locker room after War Machine.

“Thanks everyone for your work in 2023. It’s because of you that this company continues to grow, and I look forward to seeing you at To The Extreme next month. Just one other thing. To The Extreme won’t be here at Marv’s, and it won’t be a one-off show at the end of the month. It’ll be a weekly show leading up to Hardcore Heatwave in February.”

You got it, we were pushing on with steps two and three of the boss’ plan. We’d bought and renovated a 1,000-seat venue 3km from Marv’s: hopefully close enough to continue attracting the regulars while saving us from having to turn fans away at the door. We wouldn’t fill it any time soon, but it had two tiers so if we could bring in up to 500 and cram them all in the bottom tier, I hoped we’d retain the intimacy and atmosphere of Marv’s despite the spare seats.

Of course we had to bid a proper farewell to Marv’s, our home for over 14 years, so our next big show – February’s Hardcore Heatwave – would be held there to give it a big send-off.

But before that would be these weekly To The Extreme episodes replacing our usual January show, airing on WrestleWorld Australia. I’d been careful to promote these to the roster and fans as a one-off series of eight shows leading up to Hardcore Heatwave to try to take pressure off so, if it was a financial or critical disaster, we could quickly pull the plug and maybe save some face. But the hope was that they’d be financially viable enough to continue throughout the year.

They’d take place on Wednesdays, running for an hour each, and we’d film two at a time to try to balance being cost-efficient with delivering a positive fan experience.

Would it all backfire spectacularly? All that was certain for now was that Christmas was cancelled while I tried to plan January out. And I had no idea yet how to keep my booking diary updated while tackling all this extra work.

• Like 6

Excited for weekly shows. Doing monthly, or even twice a month shows with a smaller company is so difficult when you need to balance drawing a good crowd + having engaging storytelling. Especially when Oceania is so isolated you can't bring in a "big name" for a one off appearance while letting your feuds simmer. Curious to see what Lori can pull of, and what new faces she brings in to fill out the ranks...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 6:01 AM, Satyr24 said:

I have really enjoyed both years so far

Can't wait to see what 2024 brings I do have one request though if you start a new year on a new page can you link it here? You had posted about part 20 before I realized you weren't continuing 2023 in Lori Law

Otherwise, look out RAW and CEW, DIW is coming

Thanks again for this. Here's the link to the DIW 2024 thread as requested:

• Like 1