Kip James on TNA

Trashbear

[url]http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_19096.shtml[/url] Article features some excerpts from his interview, I'd say some people in TNA management aren't going to be very happy with him. Not too big a deal really though, the fans haven't been very happy with him since about 1995 or so.

My biggest beef with Kip (how that name is preferable in wrestling than Monty I don't get) was the dig on women's wrestling. Being in the industry, surely he must know there's more to women's wrestling than just the foodstuff foolishness WWE was pulling in the late 90's. He has to have seen more than just Miss Texas and Luna Vachon who can put on a proper match. What a goon. Even with the worst women wrestlers, I'd have an easier time watching them try to get something decent together than see Kip face a Kevin Nash. He's not the worst guy in the world in there. But if Kip's the best talent in the match, you got problems.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;193330]My biggest beef with Kip (how that name is preferable in wrestling than Monty I don't get) was the dig on women's wrestling. Being in the industry, surely he must know there's more to women's wrestling than just the foodstuff foolishness WWE was pulling in the late 90's. He has to have seen more than just Miss Texas and Luna Vachon who can put on a proper match. What a goon. Even with the worst women wrestlers, I'd have an easier time watching them try to get something decent together than see Kip face a Kevin Nash. He's not the worst guy in the world in there. But if Kip's the best talent in the match, you got problems.[/QUOTE] I wasn't even going to touch it but this is pretty much dead on. I could see if it was an Angle or Joe or Homicide saying it (though Homicide [B][I]couldn't[/I][/B] say that considering the fact that he got his finisher from a woman wrestler), but Kip James? That's hilarious. He's throwing stones from the living room of his glass house. And if his idea of 'good women's wrestler' is Luna or Jacqueline (aka Miss Texas), he's had his head under a rock for over 2 decades. Those two have [B][I]never[/I][/B] been cream of the crop when it comes to women's wrestling. That interview was kinda bad though. Why bite the hand that's feedin' you (and your family)? I mean, I could see that coming from a guy who will never be a major draw in the business and hasn't been able to catch lightning in a bottle again, but....oh wait.

[QUOTE=Thriller;193342]Thats so untrue.[/QUOTE] I think it's pretty true...after The Smoking Gunns he was Rockabilly, and awful gimmick if there ever was one. Then he became BA Billy Gunn, but without the Road Dogg's mic work that team was going nowhere. DX came, but honestly...if you subtracted Billy Gunn would it have made a difference? What did he do that was so memorable? One time he impersonated the Godfather during the DX/NOD parody I guess...not good on the mic and simply average in the ring. He won the King of the Ring and worked a program with the Rock, and the crowds still didn't take to the Ass Man so he got shuffled into a team with the Big Show that went nowhere. Now he's in TNA where his wrestling deficiencies are such that he's barely been in the ring for the last 6 months. I haven't cared about him since about 1995 and I feel that if you took an opinion poll you'd get a majority that have similar feelings.

[QUOTE=NickC13573;193639]I would like to also know WHICH woman could even pull it off? I bet SIRelda could pull it off but IDK who else, maybe CHYNA?[/QUOTE] I'm thinking Chyna might kill someone if she tried that. Knowing Remianen they way I do (which is not at all really) it's gotta be some super-talented Japanese wrestler that I've never heard of.

[QUOTE=Trashbear;193641]I'm thinking Chyna might kill someone if she tried that. Knowing Remianen they way I do (which is not at all really) it's gotta be some super-talented Japanese wrestler that I've never heard of.[/QUOTE] that's what I was thinking. That or someone had mistaken Victoria's Widow's Peak as the Vertibreaker, which are vastly different moves...

Shane Helms used to use that move before WWE banned it, like most moves that carry a heavy risk of a broken neck if botched. Only the Tombstone by Taker or Kane is allowed. That was the first place I saw it done. (or was it a Smackdown playstation 2 game...)

[QUOTE=Remianen;193340]though Homicide [B][I]couldn't[/I][/B] say that considering the fact that he got his finisher from a woman wrestler[/QUOTE] And Homicide [I][B]wouldn't[/B][/I] say that considering he has trained quality female wrestlers. [QUOTE]I think this interview was a complete sham to boost his big mouth angle on TNA.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't doubt it.

No I have common Wrestling knowledge. I have used that excuse more than once in my 17 years of life about wrestling. I used it one too many times when writing my Wrestling Research paper for 10th grade english and it got me a C. No wat I meant was how he got the info that she invented the move

He's a huge fan of woman's wrestling, and I don't mean the Diva types from WWE... He really knows his stuff on them. Soon as he see's the question, I'm sure he will be happy to tell you. All I was saying is that if you weren't sure he was right, you could easily look it up. I did it soon as I read it and found several source's without going very far. Seems right after she left a promotion they almost folded the woman's division because she was actually holding it together all on her own.

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;193684]The Vertebreaker was invented by Megumi Kudo, who called it the Kudome Valentine. These days in Japan it's referred to as a Kudo Driver when someone else does it.[/QUOTE] Bingo! Shane Helms got it from Megumi Kudo but Homicide himself has said he saw Megumi using it when he was working for ZERO-ONE, and copped it (alluded to [URL="http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2004/04/06/410732.html"]here[/URL]). I don't think it's an angle at all because Kip has absolutely nothing to gain from saying what 80%+ of the audience already thinks, and for the exact same reason: ignorance. Those workers who have done extensive work in Japan would clue him in to his ignorance. Hell, his co-worker Christopher Daniels helped produce the woman who is probably the best worker in the US (perhaps even North America since LuFisto retired). And incidentally, she uses a Kudo Driver variant as a finisher as well (Air Raid Crash, learned from Mariko Yoshida). That's why I'm always puzzled to hear folks within the industry say such stupid things. I'm not surprised by it really. Heck, there are people in the travel industry (where I work) who say business & first class are 'unnecessary'. Yeah, you take an 18 hour flight from New York to Singapore in the chicken coop of coach and tell me about unnecessary. :rolleyes:

Archived