Storylines or no storylines?

Regardless of fed or data, if I am playing a promotion that calls for them, I run chained storylines all the time. I enjoy co-ordinating plot points so that important matches fall on important events. Plus the challenge of dealing with fruit-cake workers no-showing said important events adds a lot to the general experience. Playing D.O.T.T., for example, Snuka blew off two shows in two weeks, forcing me to suspend him for a week; thereby he missed two more shows. It may have put my Snuka v Backlund feud on hold (yet again - heh), but it was fun having to improvise something in its place.

zOmg, you have to click buttons in a text-based sim? :p Whodathunkit? I love chained storylines, I use them all the time (where needed). Unchained storylines are, 80% of the time, for lazy, uncreative people who'd be better off playing Smackdown vs Raw's GM mode :p

Hey I use unchained storylines! Though I prefer them becuase 1) I usually forget plot points seeing I have enough to do with sorting my roster, 2 brands and failing show ratings. 2) I like to do things off the cuff so thats why I have unchained storylines, I know who I want to fued but cant decide how until each show starts.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;198005]Unchained storylines are, 80% of the time, for lazy, uncreative people who'd be better off playing Smackdown vs Raw's GM mode :p[/QUOTE] Or, they're for people who don't like using canned, prefabricated storylines since, they often wind up being as fulfilling as buying a prefabricated house (or a trailer). Wuwu, look at my new double-wide! :rolleyes: Stereotyping is fun! Useless and wrong most of the time, but fun nonetheless! I run storylines in all promotions I book, regardless of whether they're required or not (usually they're not. I eschew heavy entertainment promotions). I prefer unchained storylines because I prefer running multi-person storylines (say, a champion and 2 challengers or multiple tag teams) and I want everything those people do with each other to count toward the storyline. Helps me to stay focused when I'm running 8-10 storylines at once. Also helps me keep my normally mammoth rosters organized.

[QUOTE=Remianen;198017]Or, they're for people who don't like using canned, prefabricated storylines since, they often wind up being as fulfilling as buying a prefabricated house (or a trailer). Wuwu, look at my new double-wide! :rolleyes: Stereotyping is fun! Useless and wrong most of the time, but fun nonetheless! I run storylines in all promotions I book, regardless of whether they're required or not (usually they're not. I eschew heavy entertainment promotions). I prefer unchained storylines because I prefer running multi-person storylines (say, a champion and 2 challengers or multiple tag teams) and I want everything those people do with each other to count toward the storyline. Helps me to stay focused when I'm running 8-10 storylines at once. Also helps me keep my normally mammoth rosters organized.[/QUOTE] That is exactly what I do with unchained storylines. For example, in my current DOTT: WWF game I am running a couple of chained storylines but my main storyline is an 8 man unchained storyline that is actually 3 storylines between a Best-of-Seven IC Series between Don Muraco and Ricky Steamboat, the current WWF title fued between Bob Backlund w/Arnold Skaaland and Masked Superstar w/ The Grand Wizard, and the Greatest Grunge match of all time Bruno Sammartino and a returning Larry Zbyszko.

I'm not saying Unchained storylines are bad. I'm just saying that [b]most[/b] of the time they're used when people don't want to bother thinking about storylines. Which is a point you've proven far better than I ever could ¬_¬ [quote]I want everything those people do with each other to count toward the storyline.[/quote] That bit there. "I don't really know what these guys are going to be doing, so I want whatever I think up on the fly to count towards the storyline". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I apologise for using the word 'lazy' ¬_¬, but you see my point. Different strokes for different folks, you like the freedom of unchained storylines, I like to be organised and plan storylines so I can remember what the hell is supposed to happen next ¬_¬ I guess that's why both types are in the game ;)

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;198080]I'm not saying Unchained storylines are bad. I'm just saying that [b]most[/b] of the time they're used when people don't want to bother thinking about storylines. Which is a point you've proven far better than I ever could ¬_¬ That bit there. "I don't really know what these guys are going to be doing, so I want whatever I think up on the fly to count towards the storyline". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I apologise for using the word 'lazy' ¬_¬, but you see my point. Different strokes for different folks, you like the freedom of unchained storylines, I like to be organised and plan storylines so I can remember what the hell is supposed to happen next ¬_¬ I guess that's why both types are in the game ;)[/QUOTE] I don't think it's lazy or even a case of "I don't know what these guys will be doing". Again, generalizing. In some instances, I liked the very planned out point by point DOTT-style storyline. In others, I know how I want to begin it, what some key points are and where I want it to end up and like the free form style of letting it get there organically. Like writing a script. Sometimes the characters dictate what's going to happen moreso than the writer.

Hmm, I've always messed up plot points and such, and therefore actually ending up doing something then what's called for, but nothing seemed to be lost from it. Just saying, irreguardless of using a storyline or unchained, it seems that you can still be just as creative. I would think trying to stick with a storyline and having little things mess it up where you have to do other things, is actually more creative then just having "anything" you do count toward it. I have nothing against unchained though. I think they are great for using when your your running a smaller promotions, without being able to have written contracts. Kind of gives you a way to make sure you can keep it going even if you lose someone to being hurt or something. I think there are pluss's to doing both though. I don't know if there is truth in this, but it sure seems to me that you get more bang for your buck following a good storyline, rather then using an Unchained one. So I really don't see unchained storylines as being easier to evolve, or build heat (since it seems like it takes twice as long to get to the same point). My favorite storylines are the one's I have made after being happy with my roster, and coming up with something on my own. It feels a bit more Realistic at times, doing it that way. I imagine using the Unchained storylines with people that prefer them, are used in a similar fashion, without the hassle of having to write it all out. That's just my opinion on it though. So I guess it can be a little lazy, but I don't think it's in telling the story as much as just don't feel like writing what they want to happen, would rather spend that time playing. ? Am I close?

[QUOTE=shipshirt;198094]I don't think it's lazy or even a case of "I don't know what these guys will be doing". Again, generalizing. In some instances, I liked the very planned out point by point DOTT-style storyline. In others, I know how I want to begin it, what some key points are and where I want it to end up and like the free form style of letting it get there [B][I]organically[/I][/B]. Like writing a script. [B][I]Sometimes the characters dictate what's going to happen moreso than the writer.[/I][/B][/QUOTE] Bingo! The key things for me. Being a writer, I know that sometimes, it's best to let a story flow on its own to its eventual conclusion. If you know the beginning and your intended ending, sometimes its best to just meander to the destination rather than strictly 'keep within the lines' as it were. The former leaves room for creativity, the latter runs the risk of feeling contrived (at least in my view). I've had 'lazy' unchained storylines inspire me to create specific angles (like 'The Dozens' line of angles where one worker or tag team does a shoot-style promo talking about another worker/team's parentage and such. i.e. 'Power & Pain do a promo talking about East Meets West when Shiori Jippensha says Megumi Nakajima's mother has to use two pairs of shoes & socks before leaving the house: one pair for her feet and the other for her [breasts]'). That probably wouldn't crop up in a chained storyline and it's not something I'd use repeatedly enough to warrant placing it into a pre-written storyline I'd create. I'm not knocking chained storylines (much). I use them mainly for undercard storylines where I really don't care much about the general flow. I just want the workers involved to be IN a storyline, for training and development purposes. I don't generally use my midcard and below workers in angles otherwise. So that structure does come in handy at times. But my main storylines (read: upper midcard and above) are always going to be unchained.

Unchained storylines are great for smaller feds and those who don't do weeky shows. They give you enough flexibility to not worry about if someone's going to be stolen from you in the next six months before the big match. Chained storylines are best for larger feds with people on written contracts and/or those doing weekly shows where they think they can count on people being around for a while. Of course, yes, it also depends on the booker... if you like scripting things out, hell, use chained constantly. If you don't, use unchained. But they both exist for a reason, and neither one is 'worse' than the other, and neither one is 'bad'.

I hate unchianed storylines the only reason to use them is in feds that hate angles and even then sparringly I'd rather use no storylines then an unchianed and I'l state my reason why one more time. I've got my champion and the number one contender in a best of seven story so to build up the next guy I have two guys fueding over who will be the contender they each continue to beat opponent after opponent racking up an impressive ammount of wins untill they finally see the only way to prove who's best is to face each other with the winner becoming number one contender. Now in an unchianed storyline none of the matches that both men aren't involved in together won't count toward the story and I'm not adding 6 more peons to a story when I have other uses for them else where. SO I throw in two pointless hype angles just to let me uses a chained storyline even though I know they'll tank. Unchained storylines I will use sparringly when I can like for the best of seven I cna uses it since all the matches will be between both workers but the instant I can make an all match storyline unchained ones will be completely useless. [QUOTE=tommytomlin;198162]Unless I've designed the storyline myself, I never use chained. Aside from figuring out cards, turns, champions and stables, I do most of my booking on the fly. After all, it's how wrestling has worked for decades, why ruin it with foresight and advanced planning?"[/QUOTE] That's not how it's always been storylines have always been planned in some cases roughly but a lot of times in detail which is how come in the days of the old regions they had year long fueds between folks. When something came up they made changes that's what the evolve storyline button is for. Sometimes you get screwed like anubis did losing a worker to injury before you can go more than three segments in but much like real like crap happens.

i am starting to hate chained storylines, and I have only played the game for a week now. Because a lot of the chained storylines I have, playing the Afthermatch verson, have a lot of wrongs in them, like one I have now, where I have The Undertaker to win the title from Shawn Michaels, but I can't go past a point where it says that I am gonna use 1v1 match that involves side1: The Undertaker, side2 Steve Austin side 2 Vader. in the angle before the match it is set up to be a 1 vs 2 match, but when I book a 1 vs 2 Match, it wont work, so I book a 1 vs 1 match where Vader runs in, but it won't help, so now I can't continue the storyline. So from now on I am only going to use unchaning storylines

[QUOTE=Gameseeker;198199]i am starting to hate chained storylines, and I have only played the game for a week now. Because a lot of the chained storylines I have, playing the Afthermatch verson, have a lot of wrongs in them, like one I have now, where I have The Undertaker to win the title from Shawn Michaels, but I can't go past a point where it says that I am gonna use 1v1 match that involves side1: The Undertaker, side2 Steve Austin side 2 Vader. in the angle before the match it is set up to be a 1 vs 2 match, but when I book a 1 vs 2 Match, it wont work, so I book a 1 vs 1 match where Vader runs in, but it won't help, so now I can't continue the storyline. So from now on I am only going to use unchaning storylines[/QUOTE] This is why you check the storylines before you uses them and fix them so they work right. This is also why I wirte my own storylines but there is an answer to your problem; evovle the storyline (assuming you've gotten past three segments) and write the rest of the storyline in the correct manner, its no to difficult and should take you no longer thana few minutes.

Whats the difference between writting your own chained stoyline and using the unchained option where you are pretty much writting your own story anyway? Is it just for evolving purposes to transfer the heat? Storylines and momentum are the 2 things i have most problems with thats why i ask, since i figure a storyline with good heat must help the workers momentum some.

Unchianed storylines require at least two people from the story be invovled in any angle or match and being a run in doens't count as being in the match. With a written storyline I cna have one one one matches with other workers as a plot point and still have it count toward the heat of the storyline. With that and the ability to evolve the storylines to add (or subtract if there are enough workers involved) workers is why I use them.

I tnd to use Unchained Storylines most of the time because - before I realized that unchained was there for me - I'd always screw up when writing my own storylines, assign people the wrong roles and such. I remember when I was writing a storyline leading to a triple threat, but accidently assigned the champion role to Cena when, at the time, he wasn't the champion (shocking, right?). For the most part though, I tend to be smaller promotions and only use storylines for the main feuds. Because I know when I'm WWE that I'll have Kurt Angle/The Undertaker, Steve Austin/Kane, Triple H/Chris Jericho, and hmm, I know I've forgotten somebody... I advance a few weeks... And realize that The Rock is stuck without a feud (when has this ever happened in reality since, like, 1999?).

[QUOTE=Remianen;198017]Or, they're for people who don't like using canned, prefabricated storylines since, they often wind up being as fulfilling as buying a prefabricated house (or a trailer). Wuwu, look at my new double-wide! :rolleyes: Stereotyping is fun! Useless and wrong most of the time, but fun nonetheless! I run storylines in all promotions I book, regardless of whether they're required or not (usually they're not. I eschew heavy entertainment promotions). I prefer unchained storylines because I prefer running multi-person storylines (say, a champion and 2 challengers or multiple tag teams) and I want everything those people do with each other to count toward the storyline. Helps me to stay focused when I'm running 8-10 storylines at once. Also helps me keep my normally mammoth rosters organized.[/QUOTE] QFT! The chained storylines just feel cookie cutter, and on top of that, are annoying to keep track of. Besides, the kind of storylines I think of wouldn't fit into a chained storyline plot very well anyway because the delivery is what I feel is most important.

I tend to use unchained storylines almost exclusively until I hit the point where I'm having weekly shows. Really, what's point in having a thirty-point storyline running across monthly shows? Once I have a regular weekly show, I use chained storylines a lot, and have written one or two myself - but storylines barely existed before weekly shows, beyond the most simplistic things that got repeated ad inifinitum, with the same matches in every location telling the same story point over and over until the cycle was complete.

I tend to use un-chained, because the fed I'm running NOTBPW does not actually ask for storylines, if I was running a sports-entertainment fed I would consider running a few chained storylines. The thing is I just set up a few un-chained (long term) storylines as general markers...I'll have an un-chained set up for all my title storylines, plus one other major feud. There are weeks where those storylines will be very closely followed, sometimes though there will be other weeks, where I'll move away from them, so I can have some fresh match-ups. But the main thing is I tend to just book what is in my head at the time. I'd say I'm more of a booker who has an idea of a starting point and an end point for a feud, and how long the feud will run for. But a for how I get from the beginning to the end, I tend to book on the fly.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;198097] ... but I don't think it's in telling the story as much as just don't feel like writing what they want to happen, would rather spend that time playing. ? Am I close?[/QUOTE] For me, that's sort of in the neighborhood but not really what drives me up the wall with them. It's more of the things others have mentioned already, like random errors in the stock ones or user errors by me while trying to create a custom one or the absence of an angle that has the correct roles for what I'm trying to accomplish or what have you. Don't get me wrong, I really think Adam did a whale of a job in executing the system for storylines & as far as I can tell it works well when it gets good info. The problem is (and I'm willing to accept the bulk of the blame for this in my case) the odds of me giving it correct info all the way through as so poor that it has rendered anything more than the very simplest of storylines far more trouble to me than their worth. Which [I]then[/I] brings me to the point you were making, that I'd rather spend time on advancing the calendar than fighting my way through something that I can accomplish well enough for my own purposes with an unchained storyline.

Archived