GDS upcoming tag tourney: The list of teams

sirniles2000

This is the list of teams I plan to include in the tourney. If anyone has a problem with a team being in, or think that I left a deserving team out, please let me know, and we could work on changing that. In no particular order: 1. Rock and Roll Express 2. Midnight Express(bobby eaton, stane lane, Dennis Condrey) 3. Road Warriors 4. Demolition(Ax and smash) 5. Hart foundation 6. The Rockers 7. The Hardy's 8. The Dudleys 9. Edge and Christian 10. Powers of pain 11. The steiner brothers 12. Harlem Heat 13. The Outsiders 14. Doom 15. The Impact Players 16. The Acolytes 17. Dr. death steve Williams and Terry "bam bam" Gordy 18. The Rock and Sock Connection 19. The Dream Team 20. Kronic 21. Brothers of Destruction(undertaker and Kane) 22. The New Age Outlaws 23. The Texas Outlaws(Dusty Rhodes and Dick Murdoch) 24. Money Inc. 25. Natural Disasters 26. LAX 27. America's most wanted 28. The Brainbusters(arn anderson and Tully Blanchard) 29. The British Bulldogs 30. The Bushwackers 31. The Mega Powers 32. The Eliminators 33. The Rougeau Brothers 34. The Killer Bees 35. Strike Force 36. The Headshrinkers 37. The Ganstas 38. Colossal Connection(Andre the Giant and Haku) 39. The Nasty Boys 40. Public Enemy 41. The quebecers 42. Smoking Gunns 43. Owen Hart and Yokozuna 44. Sting and Lex Luger 45. Power and Glory(Hercules and Paul Roma) 46. The Blackjacks 47. The skyscrapers 48. Danny doring and Roadkill 49. The Headbangers 50. The bodydonnas 51. The Godwins 52. Too Cool 53. The Can am Connection 54. The Fabolous Freebirds(Hayes, Gordy, Robers, Garvin) 55. The Enforcers 56. Hollywood Blonds 57. Minnesota Wrecking Crew(Ole, Gene, Lars, Arn Anerson) 58. The Koloffs(Ivan and Nikita) 59. MNM 60. The worlds greatest tag team 61. The Valiants 62. The Wild Samoans 63. The U.S. express 64. Los Conquistadors 65. The Bricoes(Jack and Jerry) 66. Fire and ice 67. The Funks(Dory jr. and terry) 68. The triple threat 69. Triple X 70. Beverly Brothers 71. The Fantastics 72. Superpowers(Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff) 73. The Alter Boys 74. RVD and Booker T. 75. Kane and the Big show 76. Undertaker and the Big Show 77. Rhythem and Blues 78. Benoit and Jericho 79. The Power trip(Austin and Triple H) 80. Test and Albert 81. The Basham Brothers 82. The Pit Bulls(ecw) 83. Kaientai 84. Men on a Mission 85. The Harris Brothers(Jacob and Eli Blu) 86. Allied Powers(Lex Luger and Bulldog) 87. Mega Maniacs(Hogan and brutus beefcake) 88. Haku and the Barbarian 89. East-west connection(Adonis and Ventura) 90. AJ styles and Christopher Daniels 91. London and Kendrick 92. DX(HBK and Triple H) 93. Rated RKO 94. Deuce and Domino 95. Eddie Guerrero and Rey mysterio) 96. Los Guerrero's(Eddie and Chavo) 97. HBK and Deisel 98. 3 minute warning 99. Hurricane and Rosey 100. RVD and Sabu 101. Totally Buff(Luger and Bagwell) 102. 3 Live Crew 103. North-south connection(Adonis-Murdoch) 104. The Insiders(Nash and DDP) 105. The Triad 106. Dick the Bruiser and Crusher 107. Billy and Chuck 108. The Blue Bloods 109. The soul Patrol(Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas) 110. The Bolsheviks 111. The Von Erichs(Kevin and David) 112. Vicious and Delicious 113. Fabolous Kangaroos 114. The perfect event 115. The Assassians 116. Bruiser Brody and Stan Hanson 117. Steamboat and Youngblood 118. The Naturals 119. The Orient Express 120. The Dynamic Duo 121. Simon and Swinger 122. Strong and Aries 123. Ric Flair and Arn Anderson 124. Damien 666 and Halloween 125. Mick Foley and Terry Funk 126. The State patrol 127. Steamboat and Shane Douglas 128. Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow This is the complete list. I know there will be a few people who will not like the inclusion of jobber teams like the state patrol and los conquistadors, but I really like those team for comedy value and every tournament needs some defitnate losers. Besides, the state patrol was together longer than most of the teams on the list(or at least it seems like it). Also, there was a question with some teams about what members to include(particularly the Minnesota Wrecking Crew). After giving it some thought, I decided the best way was to let each indiviual person decide. For the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, I included Gene, Ole, Lars, and Arn Anderson. Gene and Lars were the original team. Gene and Ole were probably the most overall successful pairing. And Ole and Arn are probably the team most people remember. I also included four Freebirds: Micheal p.s. Hayes, Terry Gordy, Buddy Roberts, and Jimmy Garvin. I included Garvin because he was a part of the team when they had their biggest national success. And with the Midnight Express, I included Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane, and Dennis Condrey. Eaton and Lane had the most success, but neither was in the original team. Condrey was, so he was included. For all of those teams(and teams with three members such as The Triple Threat), you can choose any combination you want of the members when making your picks in the tournament. All I ask is that you let us know which two members you chose for the match. Finally, you may notice that I didn't include Crush with Ax and Smash in Demolition. The reason is because most of their success came without him, and I just didn't think he was important in their overall history.

I left out the "teams" who used three guys, as they weren't a classic tag team(I know demolition did it at one time, but I was counting them in their classic form of Ax and Smash). But the Rock and Sock connection is there(#18). Joose2001, I forgot about the beverly brothers, as I'm not a fan of them. But if you really want them in, who would you suggest taking out?

Far from wanting to complain or try to take over or anything, but wouldn't having nominations first help out? That way anyone that is wanted by anyone can be added, then you can add whatever ones you want afterwards to make up the numbers? EDIT: Just had a quick look through (as I was just going to go along with whoever was there, but I didn't see any sign of Steamboat & Youngblood?

Keefmoon, thanks for the input. Actually, nominations was kind of the point of this list. I dont actually expect all of these teams to make it(los conquistadors for example), and I do think there are probably some teams I have left out. However, I figured it would be easier to start off with a list, and go from there. That way, people could see who I already had in mind, and that way, we wouldn't have to have as many posts on who to have in. This way, people who already like a team(say the hollywood blonds for example) dont have to nominate them. And you are right, I did forget Steamboat and youngblood. Anyone in particular you would like to replace them with?

[QUOTE=sirniles2000;209523]Keefmoon, thanks for the input. Actually, nominations was kind of the point of this list. I dont actually expect all of these teams to make it(los conquistadors for example), and I do think there are probably some teams I have left out. However, I figured it would be easier to start off with a list, and go from there. That way, people could see who I already had in mind, and that way, we wouldn't have to have as many posts on who to have in. This way, people who already like a team(say the hollywood blonds for example) dont have to nominate them. And you are right, I did forget Steamboat and youngblood. Anyone in particular you would like to replace them with?[/QUOTE] Yeah there are team I would suggest, but they aren't bad teams, just I wasn't really a fan of them. Like the Bushwhackers, Too Cool, Nasty Boys etc. Not bad teams, but I was never really a fan of any of them. And sorry about questioning your method. Now you've explained it it seems perfectly logical and should have pretty much the same or similar results.

Good list, I was going to nominate The Wild Somaoans, Brittish Bulldogs, and The Blackjacks anyway. Only team I really have a problem with being on the list is #31-The Mega Powers. Only because, the way I remember it (so I could be very wrong) is that the Mega-Powers were more of an angle leading up to Wrestlemania than an official tag team (back when an angle could span up to a year). Meaning they had Savage and Hogan team up for a couple of PPVs in order to break them up for WM5. P.S.- I am notorious for getting The MegaPowers and The SuperPowers confused. I am talking about Mega-Powers being (Hogan and Savage) and Super Powers being (Hogan and Warrior).

Three points. 1: Where are the Fantastics? 2: The only Super Powers tag team I know of is Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff. Not Hogan and Warrior. 3: Which Blackjacks are you using here? Mulligan and Lanza? Or Windham and Bradshaw? Since Windham and Bradshaw are both represented on other teams already, I should think Mulligan and Lanza would be the better set to use. Although I can understand trying to stay modern too.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;209528]Yeah there are team I would suggest, but they aren't bad teams, just I wasn't really a fan of them. Like the Bushwhackers, .... [/QUOTE] I say one bracket has Bushwhackers Vs Sheephearders. An example how sometimes a gimmick makes all the difference in the world. I'm a Sheephearders mark but could not stand watching that same Luke and Butch come out and lick the front row's foreheads every Saturday morning. Also Cappy, I definitely remember the Rhodes/Nikita "SuperPowers", but I'm pretty sure that Hogan and Warrior were also named that during their feud when Slaughter became an Iraqi supporter. I could be wrong as I have done many things to my memory cells over the past 20 years. ..And yes, Blackjacks should always be considered as Mulligan and Lanza IMO.

RVD and Booker T Kane and Big Show Rhythm and Blues (Greg Valentine & Honky Tonk Man) Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho The Power Trip (think that was what it was called - HHH and Stone Cold) T and A (Test and Albert) The Basham Brothers The Pitbulls (ECW ones) Kaientai (TAKA Michinoku and Funaki) Men on a Mission The Allied Powers (Lex Luger and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith) Jacob and Eli Blu Insane Clown Posse (Violent J and Shaggy Too Dope) The Mega Maniacs (Hulk Hogan and Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake) Haku and The Barbarian

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;209585]RVD and Booker T Kane and Big Show Rhythm and Blues (Greg Valentine & Honky Tonk Man) Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho The Power Trip (think that was what it was called - HHH and Stone Cold) T and A (Test and Albert) The Basham Brothers The Pitbulls (ECW ones) Kaientai (TAKA Michinoku and Funaki) Men on a Mission The Allied Powers (Lex Luger and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith) Jacob and Eli Blu Insane Clown Posse (Violent J and Shaggy Too Dope) The Mega Maniacs (Hulk Hogan and Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake) Haku and The Barbarian[/QUOTE] all these teams are good but what about.. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels hooliganZ(London & Kendrick) DX new.. im not saying i like them but they are a successful team. Rated RKO (Edge & Orton) Deuce & Domino.. again i dont like them but yeha.. Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio Eddie Guerrero & Chavo Guerrero The Hardcore Legends(Cactus Jack & Terry Funk) HBK & Diesel Ron Killings & Lance Hoyt Raven & Steven Richards 3 Minute Warning (Rosey & Jamal aka UMAGA) Hurricane & Rosey Sabu & RVD Totally Buff (Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell) Natural Disasters (Typhoon & Earthquake) Powers of Pain (Warlord & The Barbarian) Kazarian & Bentley

I would suggest some puro and lucha teams be added to the list though I'm not knowledgable enough to suggest many aside from the Holy Demon Army [Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada], Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama, Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow, and current ROH tag champions Shingo and Naruki Doi.

[B]mjdgoldeneye[/B], I completely agree with you that the Bricoes should be in, and they will be added. Thanks for the input. [B]Keefmoon[/B], you are right about Steamboat and Youngblood. A very deserving team that was left off. I will also look to add them. [B]Bad luck Brett[/B], I think I agree with you about the Megapowers. While they were two top wrestlers of their time, that teaming was more of a long angle than a real tag team. They will be taken out. Also, a gimmick can defitnately make the difference. But for tag teams that have a long history together, I didn't see the need to use more than one gimmick. For example, no need to put both the Road Warriors and the Legion of Doom. Same team, just with a different name. [B]cappyboy[/B], I did forget about the fantastics. But I will look to add them. As far as the blackjacks go, I am DEFITNATELY talking about the originals. I think Bradshaw and Windham were actually called "The New Blackjacks". And I think we can all agree that any team name that starts with "the new" usually isn't a good team. PoisonedSuperman, I am also a fan of the Alterboys. But in coming up with this list, I had to look at success in big company's as part of the criteria. And I just cant see putting the alter boys over any of the other teams that have had long term success(or just a long stint) in the big companys. If the field was 128, I would DEFITNATELY included. That being said, if the others on the board support them, I will put them in. [B]Undertaker[/B], I looked at your list, and I have some concerns about a lot of them. I tried to include more of the real, long term classic tag teams, whether than two guys who were stuck together for a few months and won a title. That's why I don't think guys like RVD and Booker T, Kane and Big Show, Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho, The Power Trip, The Allied Powers, and The Mega Maniacs. I didn't include Haku and the Barbarian because they both are represented in other teams, and their other teams both had more success than their pairing together. I didn't include the insane clown posse because I don't actually consider them to be real wrestlers. As far as the other teams you named(Rhythm and Blues, T and A, The Basham Brothers, The Pitbulls (ECW ones), Kaientai, Men on a Mission, and Jacob and Eli Blu), I will use them as bubble teams. I think that after everyone puts their suggestions, I will take all the suggested teams and let the board vote on which ones get the final spots. [B]Tyler Gadzinski[/B], like I told Undertaker666, I tried to use classic tag teams rather than two wrestlers put together for a while. So that's why a lot of the teams you picked aren't on the list. The Natural Disasters and the Powers of Pain are already on the list. I will add a couple of the teams you named(3 minute warning, possibly RVD/Sabu and possibly DX) to the bubble teams. [B]MightyDavidson[/B], I thought about having lucha and puro teams, but to be honest, I honestly didn't think there would be enough people here knowledgable enough on those teams to warrant including them. Afterall, even you just admitted that you aren't the most knowledgeable on those type of teams. And I don't see the point of putting those teams on the list when they would just be voted out in the first round easily.

The North South Connection - Adrian Adonis and D!ck Murdoch Rythym and Blue and East-West Connection to me are certainties for the list. Other possibilities; The Perfect Event, The InSiders, The Triad, D!ck the Bruiser and the Crusher, one of the all time great teams in the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, The Bolsheviks, Soul Patrol, The Thrill Seekers, Unholy Alliance, US Express, I don't know how to break them up into a tag team but the Von Erichs, the Fabulous Kangaroos, Vicious and Delicious, Billy and Chuck, Kendrick and London (been champs for a while now, deserving of consideration), the Assassins, the Blue Bloods... Plenty out there for consideration, I reckon we could get this mofo up to near a 128 bracket competition.

The Brisco Brothers(Jack and Jerry) High Flyers Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta The Dynamic Duo As well as some mentioned above already Steamboat and Youngblood Rhythm and Blues East-West Connection North-South Connection Bruiser and Crusher The Von Erichs All of these need consideration.

[QUOTE=panix04;209815]i cant believe you don't want too cool in there, i used to to love there little dancing spots, especially when Rikishi was thrown into the mix![/QUOTE] Yeah they were fun, but I was asked to suggest a team to take out in order to put Steamboat/Youngblood in. And as fun as Too Cool were, I'd would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever put a largely comic relief team like that in ahead of Steamboat/Youngblood. Ever. Ever. Ever. I like Steamboat and Youngblood, if you couldn't guess. (Ever.) EDIT: I mirror the calls for the North South Connection, Brisco's (Jerry and Jack) and Minnesota Wrecking Crew. I was also a big fan of Perfect Event, but I somehow doubt they would be too popular if added.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've noticed a couple of people metion the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. They are already on the list(Gene and Ole anderson). Also, someone mentioned the U.S. express. They are already on the list as well. There seems to be support for a lot more teams, and I think we could possibly get this up to 128. Does everyone want to try that instead of 64? It would be good because every deserving team should defitnately be able to get in with a field that big. On the other hand, there would probably be teams that got in that aren't so deserving.

Archived