Ric Flair Tries To Quit?

skiesofryan

[QUOTE]Apparently, Ric Flair quit WWE earlier in the week. The possible departure doesn't have anything to do with the recent drug scandal, he's simply frustrated with his push. Also, he hasn't had any encouraging communication from management. WWE hasn't given Flair his release. WWE officials are trying hard to get him to cool off and not quit. They are having discussions to get things sorted because WWE doesn't want him to quit the company. Source: PW Torch[/QUOTE] Wow....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that, I would consider a "BIG" name. I don't blame him. He's on the "B" show, hasn't had anything remotely happening outside of "Making" other's. He deserve's one last run for one of the titles. He deserve's to be playing with the big dogs, not the little one's..... I would put him in a storyline with Rey and Batista, play him off as the mentor (kind of like they tried with Carlito).

flair had a great program with Edge, then a one sided program with Carlito. Finally he got moved to smackdown where he is non-existant. If I was flair I would be trying to quit too. Why stay to be used on a whim and job to Khali. (he is too old and too great to be used like this)

i dont see why they dont give him a title run on smackdown. even if its a short one. hell, they put the WWE strap on hogan for a month a few years back. id love to see him squeeze out a surprise win at the rumble, then take the strap (smackdown world) at mania, hold it for 1 possibly 2 PPVs before dropping it and then retiring..... with all the that is going on currently, it couldnt hurt for a nostalgic run for flair!

[QUOTE=Franchise22;288031]i dont see why they dont give him a title run on smackdown. even if its a short one. hell, they put the WWE strap on hogan for a month a few years back. id love to see him squeeze out a surprise win at the rumble, then take the strap (smackdown world) at mania, hold it for 1 possibly 2 PPVs before dropping it and then retiring..... with all the that is going on currently, it couldnt hurt for a nostalgic run for flair![/QUOTE] I'd be one of the first in line to mark out for another flair title run...

As a long time fan (since the early Horseman days), Ric Flair cannot and shoud not go out like this. I understand Flair's skills have diminished tremendously, but a future hall-of-famer of his legendary status deserves better. I for one would love to see even the shortest of final title reigns (possibly win on PPV, then come out and retire as champ on the next TV show), or even a move to nothing but working outside of the ring. With all of the trouble the roster seems in at the moment, wouldn't Ric Flair be the perfect mouthpiece for a just brought up youngster that needs help getting over? In closing I quote: "To be the man, you gotta beat the man!" and The Nature Boy will always be The Man!

Giving Flair another run as champion could be gold. Placing him a top of the roster and showing that even in your 50's and as great as he is, you can still be "the man". Flair styling and profiling, maybe even with his own stable of younger guys getting a rub from being around him could work. He's a much better alternative to the crappy champ they have now, and it would restore some credibility to the SD championship.

I've been a huge Flair mark since his early days in WCW. Always had that extra step that proved he was "the man". The funny thing is back then I thought he was old... now.... He's even older. haha. But I thought when they moved him to Smackdown that would mean that he would move up to one of the biggest superstars on that show... and they've failed to use him in anything. I say Flair should go... however, I don't know where he would really go and I don't want to not see Flair on TV. I don't see him in TNA... He hates Russo.

The storyline they should run at Wrestlemania (if Flair really wants out) would be a Taker vs. Flair retirment match for the Title. Taker's streak vs. Flair's career would quite probably sell it out single handedly. Wouldn't be suprised if this turns into a reality.

If Flair's gonna go out, he should go out with a bang. They gave Hogan a big run till his ego flared up again, Nature Boy's always been a good employee and has always done the job when asked. He deserves a good farewell run. I'd turn him heel again and put some manager/bodyguard around him and let him go after the World Title. Then try to pull a "Hogan" vs "Rock" match...so that Flair goes out as a face...

Yeah, but.... Flair sucks in the ring. I hate to say it, but he really does. As for model employee, the whole assault and battery thing a couple of years back didn't do a great deal to improve WWE's image. If Flair was given the belt as a nostalgia pop, he wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands required in-ring any more than Hogan could. And you all seem to be forgetting that he had his last run as a champ. With the tag titles, and the IC belt, and the tag titles again... WWE have done a lot for Flair. In fact, I'd say they've done a lot more for him than hes ever done for them. Can't the fact that he was the greatest wrestler of his day, the record-breaking World champion and one of the most entertaining men ever to set foot in the ring be his legacy? Flair in the ring has been an increasingly embarassing sight since the mid-90s. For the former 60-minute man, you can count the number of truly memorable matches he's been in since Hogan entered WCW without having to worry too much about taking your shoes off. Suggesting they should give him a World title at this stage in his career seems like crazy talk. By all means give him a grand send off (heck, have Armageddon renamed Starrcade and put him in the main event against HHH or something) but even for a short time, promoting Flair as World champ would be just one more reason for people to laugh at WWE.

Flair doesn't suck in the ring just like Mil Mascaras doesn't suck in the ring. Sure, if your standard is Cena or Edge, okay Flair isn't cut from that cloth. But he can put on a traditional style match like few people on their roster can. And if Flair sucks in the ring, would that mean Batista is a ring god? Or Khali? Come on, this is Sports Entertainment. You don't need to be SKILLED to accomplish anything (isn't that right, Hulk Hogan?). I often wonder exactly what/who folks are thinking of when they say someone 'sucks' in the ring. Especially someone with the experience of a Flair. It's just like a power pitcher who loses velocity. They turn into more of a finesse pitcher to remain successful (like Pedro Martinez is doing). They don't 'suck' because they're not throwing 96mph gas anymore. If that's the case, Greg Maddux has sucked from day one! Likewise, if Flair sucks, where's that place Finlay in the skill chart?

When i say it i mean he has stopped selling, started pre-selling, his offense looks weaker then a pint of fosters, he is slow, a bit overweight and has a moveset that is almost as limited as the aforementioned Khali. Plus i find him boring to watch. Now i'm not going to claim i used to be a huge Flair mark back in the 70's or 80's, but i have seen some of his matches from back then and it was like watching a different person. Flair may still have the ability to tell a story in the ring (something that Batista very much lacks) but just due to his moveset and lack of energy he very rarely puts on a good showing. I am really glad i got to see Ric Flair wrestle, i really believe he is a true wrestling legend, however, i wish i'd seen it 10 years ago instead of last year!

[QUOTE=panix04;288147]And Finlay can still go! :D[/QUOTE] Amen. Love Finlay. Although I understand exactly what your talking about with Flair, I have to respectfully say..... That it doesn't make a difference at all... Flair is one of the most loved people in the ring period. The fans would go crazy, one last push if done right could be a huge money maker for the WWE. Remi has it right. They don't have to be "good" in the scense of anything outside of: Do the people care about them? Do the people want to see Him? If the people want to see him, if they care, if they would pay money for a PPV that the guy is headlining... It's worth it. Doesn't matter if he's in a wheel chair. Some guys can be thrown in our face's forever, and never get 5% of the respect Flair gets (Chris Master's, Khali, even Morrison). People either care, or they don't. People care about Flair, so that makes him a draw, and that makes his desire's important. I don't think he has suggested a title run, as I've heard nothing at all about that. I just read he was upset with his push, his presense has been lacking outside of getting squashed for some monster. Save that for Funaki or someone... Flair needs a story, he needs a reason to be. The Carlito one was a good one, and we seen a flash of what it could have been (if they would have kept Carlito on the "good" track, instead of turning him for need of heels I guess). A Flair story could involve him just being a mentor, a manager, or anything really. He needs the camera though, we need him on the camera if he's going to be on the roster. I want to see him, I don't know about you guys. Anyways, all I really did was backup and state it a little differently of what Remi said.

[QUOTE=Remianen;288140]Flair doesn't suck in the ring just like Mil Mascaras doesn't suck in the ring. [/QUOTE] I just saw Mil Mascaras at the Sports Arena in July, and I can honestly say he sucks in the ring. He doesn't bump, even his no-sell looks bad, and he's and his opponets have to do all the work on all his offensive moves. He's also sandbagging but he's been doing that for twenty years. That being said, lotta fans bought tickets to see Mil. As to the Flair thing: here's the problem...I'm not sure he's as much of a draw as internet fans like to think he is. Do the majority of the WWE audience know who he is? Yes, but probably only in a "he's that old guy who used to be good" kind of way. Does that mean they'll pay to see him in a main event? Possibly...but only against the right opponent. For instance, if Edge hadn't been hurt and we'd seena mini-feud with those two with lots of cheating and underhanded tactics and general sneakiness (sort of a battle to see who really is "the dirtiest player in the game") then that would have been wildy entertaining and I could definitely see Flair getting a title win on SD and losing it back to Edge at the next PPV. But with Khali? On a show where most of the heels are either monster types or don't really need to be "made?" He just doesn't fit a purpose at the moment. I don't want to see Flair retire. Realistically he probably still can't afford to. But he needs a different situation to find a role for himself.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;288193]But with Khali? On a show where most of the heels are either monster types or don't really need to be "made?" He just doesn't fit a purpose at the moment.[/QUOTE] This is why I think Khali should be shunted over to ECW. If they want people to believe in him as the man mountain he's supposed to be, put him over there and put him in some hardcore matches. Beat the crap out of the him with chairs and anything else they can get their hands on while he carries on as normal, being "too extreme that he doesn't need weapons". Hopefully that'd at least hide some of his major flaws, like being unable to wrestle. (I wouldn't let Khali use weapons, he'd kill someone)

I'm going to get on my smark high-horse and say that if Khali drops the belt to Batista he officially becomes "totally useless." The fans really aren't that in to him and he's terrible at selling his offense, so he can't be that "special attraction-monster heel" type. And it'll will be hard to sell him as a legit threat when he's come up short repeatedly in his main event feuds against guys like Cena, Taker, and Dave (call it the King Kong Bundy syndrome). So yeah..if Khali loses to Batista, he becomes the least interesting "monster" on the roster.

Archived